General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
I wouldn't care either, but I don't think I've ever had a cashier ever comment about anything I've purchased. Do other people generally have this experience? I've never given it any thought before reading this thread. Now it seems odd that other people have mentioned this but I've never experienced it. Maybe the store I shop at (Publix) has a policy against it.
I am an avid Kroger shopper and sometimes my cashiers will ask questions about some of the things I buy that they're not familiar with. I have been asked about spaghetti squash several times b/c a lot of people aren't familiar w/ it and what to do w/ it. I've also been asked just general "ooh, is that good?" or whatever questions at a couple of stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Just this morning at the Walmart, I bought two packages of "genie bras" ...
This is off topic, I know, but are those worth the $$$??? I've been curious about trying them.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #107  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1534 View Post
This is off topic, I know, but are those worth the $$$??? I've been curious about trying them.
I'm very happy with mine, though personally, I'd recommend going to Walmart or Kohls - somehwer you can try them on in the fitting room, because they do have some rather serious limitations.

I had seen a youtube video of one woman reviewer who recommended that if you're between sizes, to buy the smaller size.

So when I saw them in Walmart I noticed they didn't have my size (4X) per the box, so I tried on the 3x even though I wasn't between sizes. I think tthe 4X would have been too big.

I tried one without the shaping pads first. It looked horrible without the pads - worse than most sports bras, in terms of just mashing the boobs flat. With the pads, it didn't look much better, but I was desperate for a comfortable bra for bad pain flare days (when I'm having a bad flare of my fibro or arthritis, getting into and out of a bra is difficult and no bra is comfy).

In desperation I put my blouse on over the bra to see how bad I looked in clothes, and I was pleasantly surprised. I had to adjust the pads a bit to get the bra pads to sit right (otherwise it looks like the boobs are pointed in different directions), but it didn't look as bad as I thought. There wasn't as much lift as with a good structured bra, so it looked like I'd lost about half a cup size, but all in all, I was impressed.

They fit better after washing (just in the regular wash and dry cycle - the pads are removed first), they fit even better.

At first I thought I would only wear these on bad days, because while I thought they looked "ok" I owned bras that were reasonably comfortable and were more attractive, so I bought them for bad days figuring they'd be "better than nothing." I really have fallen in love with them though and now where them every day.

The comfort is unbeatable. I take a nap most days, and I used to have to take off my bra to be able to sleep (even an all t-shirt bra wasn't comfy enough). The genie bra is comfy enough to sleep in. I really like it.

I bought two styles today. The normal style (black and nude) and a set trimmed in lace at the neckline (black and white). I'm not as happy with the lace trimmed set, which seems to run small (wish I'd tried it on in the store).

Since I'm going to be losing more weight, I'm not worried about it. I'll eventually fit into them. I think the standard cut fits better and looks nicer.

I don't know about the online versions (except that they come in many more colors).

I definitely think they're worth the price ($19.99 for a set of 2). Although I wish the pads were of a better quality (do not forget and put them through the wash, because I rather doubt they'd hold up. I would like to replace the pads with higher quality ones from JoAnn Fabric. The pads are simply molded triangles, much like you would buy from JoAnns and other fabric stores to put in home sewn swimmsuits and halter tops/dresses.

Without the foam inserts, I think the bra would be useless. I also think that if I didn't have bra comfort issues, I wouldn't bother, because more structured bras look better (in my opinion), but since I needed a bra that was comfy for sleeping and could be gotten into and out of easily on high pain - low mobility days - I couldn't be happier.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #108  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

This thread has been extremely entertaining

I live in a relatively large city and hardly ever get the same cashiers at my grocery store, so I've never encountered this same situation. However, I have had cashiers make random comments on things I'm purchasing and it bothers me none. In fact, I would much rather have someone make small talk with me then to stand there and never make eye contact, smile or even greet me!
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #109  

Height: 5'5"

As a cashier in a grocery store, it's my job to strike up little conversations with the customers. One of the easiest ways of doing that is commenting on the things they purchase
Obviously, I don't ask any personal questions about items, but it really is one of the only ways to converse other than, "How are you liking the weather?"

Last edited by queenie91; 09-22-2012 at 10:37 PM.
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote