General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Well, of course I know my boss wouldn't fire me over something like that, but the fact that someone would even complain about something like that is sad.
It certainly does reflect one's own misery!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #92  

The last time I went shopping I restocked my pastas, so there were a selection of penne, shells etc, in my basket. A couple of thin young woman, trying to be funny and sophisticated, were studying my cart at the till, talking loudly and then looked at me and sang "pasts, pasta, pasta" then giggled and puffed their cheeks out. See, now that is insulting.

On the face of it OP, the comment made by the cashier does not seem at all bad, more friendly ... and it is nice to know that the staff are familiar with regular customers to the extent they feel okay to notice what you buy.

Of course, only you could hear the tone and malice and that would put a whole different spin on it.

However, a cashier may not necessarily earn that much or have much job security so complaining about her is a very, very serious business... please be absolutely sure before placing someone's job in jeopardy?
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

I think she's just probably wondering why you keep buying the same items. While it's definitely none of her business, if you go something like "oh would you believe this stuff tastes good but low calorie? I lost X pounds already!", she'll be buying the same stuff too
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #94  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
I do not tolerate people commenting on my purchases. Good or bad. Keep your mouth shut, do your job, or I will talk to your manager.

"Wow you must really like that" is not an acceptable comment in my book.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever ever ever heard. I suggest shopping online if you don't want to be spoken to by lowly cashiers.

Last edited by LockItUp; 09-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #95  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Question to OP: Is it possible just to go to a different check-out line where there is another cashier, or is the grocery store a small store and she is the only cashier?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #96  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
Am I the only person thinking, "WTF is she buying three times a week that requires three separate visits???"

Seriously, I need to know now.
Well, to be fair, she did say 2 to 3 times. It is not uncommon for me to go to the store that often either. I will invariably forget to buy something at the store, which requires a return trip soon. Or, after having gone to the store I might run out of something a couple days later. I suppose if I planned better, I would not need to go to the store more than once a week. But I'm not that organized! Also, when I was eating a lot of fish, I would go a couple times a week to buy it because I like fresh (not frozen) fish and fish goes bad so quickly sitting in the fridge.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #97  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I mean zero offense, as a caveat - it just seems like a lot of drama for something completely insignificant. Why not go to a different checker or store, rather than pitch a fit? Nobody can 'make' you feel anything - offense or 'being attacked' is something we choose to take on, as words like that have no inherent power beyond what we imbue them, ourselves.

Life's too short to get annoyed at people who mean absolutely nothing to you. I promise choosing to be serene rather than annoyed pays off so much more, especially when it still looks like your response to her is what is creating the aggravation you're feeling, rather than something inherent to the interaction, itself.

But I'm assuming this advice is falling on deaf ears. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even be discussed, because it would be a non-issue for you
I agree, don't give her any energy. You can't be positive she means you any harm and really what difference would it make if she did? She's a stranger - just another person out there and there will always be someone around that you're not particularly fond of. Go to another checkout or just go ignore her if you are taking offense to her comments. We don't control others, we can only control our reactions to them.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #98  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
I do not tolerate people commenting on my purchases. Good or bad. Keep your mouth shut, do your job, or I will talk to your manager.

What??!!??? Really?? Perhaps you can use some self evaluation on your outward attitudes.... Wow.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The other day I bought groceries at Safeway. The checker had the NERVE to comment on my purchase of yogurt ! Can you imagine that ? I am joking of course but she did make a comment, I would be willing to bet the entire amount of my purchase that by the time I got to the door she had forgotten completely about me. The only reason I remember it is because of the comments I have seen on this post. Was she rude ? No. Do I care that she commented on my purchase ? No.It was an idle comment that is all, nothing more or less.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #100  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
The other day I bought groceries at Safeway. The checker had the NERVE to comment on my purchase of yogurt ! Can you imagine that ? I am joking of course but she did make a comment, I would be willing to bet the entire amount of my purchase that by the time I got to the door she had forgotten completely about me. The only reason I remember it is because of the comments I have seen on this post. Was she rude ? No. Do I care that she commented on my purchase ? No.It was an idle comment that is all, nothing more or less.
I wouldn't care either, but I don't think I've ever had a cashier ever comment about anything I've purchased. Do other people generally have this experience? I've never given it any thought before reading this thread. Now it seems odd that other people have mentioned this but I've never experienced it. Maybe the store I shop at (Publix) has a policy against it.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #101  

I have had comments many times at different stores, they are as a rule just meaningless comments.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #102  
Keeping it real!

I usually get the "I know what you're having for dinner!" or the "I wish my family would eat that stuff.." - which is the usual healthy grub, little do they know, it's only for me Either way - think about their day and the grumbly people they have to deal with ... I beleive in spreading the sunshine!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #103  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
I wouldn't care either, but I don't think I've ever had a cashier ever comment about anything I've purchased. Do other people generally have this experience? I've never given it any thought before reading this thread. Now it seems odd that other people have mentioned this but I've never experienced it. Maybe the store I shop at (Publix) has a policy against it.
In our area, some clerks are chatty and some arent. Some will all but avoid making direct eye contact and the only thing you'll hear them say is the total and "would you like paper or plastic?"

Others will make conversation, and everything from asking about a purchased item to talking about the weather.

Just this morning at the Walmart, I bought two packages of "genie bras" and the clerk joked "What you didn't want to make three payments of $19.99?" and I answered that I had considered buying online because they actually were about the same price per bra if you didn't count shipping (because the three payments were for six bras and they come in a lot more colors online), but that I didn't need SIX bras and I had read that the shipping was rather slow.

She went on to say that she had considered them for her 96 year old mother, but that another customer had told her you had to be Houdini to get out of the darn thing. I told her that I actually bought the bras because I have trouble getting into and out of bras due to my arthritis - and that I think the person who had trouble getting out of the bra probably had bought the wrong size, because they're incredibly stretchy. To get "stuck" in one, it would have to be pretty tight or you'd have to be very sweaty (in my opinion).

Even though the conversation wasn't slowing down the transaction, in the least (the clerk was continuing to scan items as we talked, and as I swiped my card), the lady in line behind me was apparently incredibly miffed that we were having a conversations - I mean she kept making exagerated sighing noises as if we were deliberately trying to annoy her.

I'm guessing she was one of the customers who felt idle chitchat in the grocery line was inappropriate. I could see if we were holding up progress, but for gosh sakes the entire transaction, I would guess couldn't have taken even one minute, and the clerk didn't so much as pause while she talked, she just continued to scan the items one right after the other (one item had to be scanned a couple times because it wouldn't scan right - which inspired another long-suffering sigh from Miss Crabbypants behind me).

I could have gotten annoyed, but I was just mildly amused. We weren't doing anything that could possibly inconvenience the woman (again we weren't holding up the line) so I'm not sure why she cared unless she was offended that the clerk had the audacity to speak to a customer or that a customer wasn't "sophisticated" enough to know that it was inappropriate to engage in conversation with "the help."

If overhearing or participating in conversations with strangers) is that bothersome to you, you probably shouldn't leave your house.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #104  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:

As someone who has managed retail stores before, I can only imagine having a customer coming to me and saying "Cashier on till 8 told me how yummy she thinks the yogurt I am buying is. How dare she!".....

If someone came up to me and actually expected me to reprimand one of my employees for making polite conversation, I'd probably kill over laughing. Not to their face of course because I'm a nice person and that would be rude, but pretty much the second after you left I'd wonder what planet you came from.

Yes its their job to check out your groceries, but they are not beneath you and you do not own them. Speaking to their manager about someone making GOOD comments is just INSANE! What makes you so amazing that you think its okay to possibly get someone in trouble or even fired for just making polite conversation instead of standing there in silence?

Last edited by Candeka; 09-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

If overhearing or participating in conversations with strangers) is that bothersome to you, you probably shouldn't leave your house.
Love this !!!!