Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #151  

Hello ladies, it's nice to see a faith based forum. I am 54 years old and seem to have tried everything in the last 6 years to lose weight. The most that I've lost is probably been around 10 lbs but I have not kept it off. I have been a Christian for 35 years and learned many things through my faith. The one victory I have never maintained is a stable healthy weight.

I weigh 185 and for a long time I was able to keep my weight around 155-160 but then I had a major trauma in my life and it seems that I have taken a long time to recover.

The church we went to for over 20 years was found to be cultish and many people were banned for saying certain things and others left on their own such as my husband and I. We not only left our "Christian Home" but moved to another state, and of coursed changed jobs.

Our daughter got pregnant at 20, married the jerk, and then had our first grandson, and ended up in a divorce.

We moved to California to help her, stayed there for about 3 1/2 years and then moved back to IN about 3 years ago. All the moving around drained our finances, marriage, and I believe I have struggled with depression for about 3 years now.

I finally feel like I am coming out of the clouds. Through all of this the Lord has been my constant companion, giving me hope and purpose. I finished my degree recently and I am very proud of myself.

What I am very unhappy about is my weight and health issues and I know I need to lose at least 40lbs to get healthy.
praterteaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

praterteaches., Welcome and good luck ! You will find a lot of Christians here. A great place for prayer and encouragement.

Last edited by bargoo; 06-29-2009 at 11:29 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #153  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Penguin and praterteaches

Glad you joined us! I just love the folk here - they are AWESOME.

I read everyone's posts and prayers are ascending for the requests mentioned! You've all been busy while I've been gone!

The conference went well, but it was very, very HOT! Which ended up being a huge NSV for me. I took shorts and tank tops and ended up wearing them for much of the conference. NEVER would have happened before I began this journey. I would have worn my "cover up" clothes - mostly black and BAKED!

We picked up DS1 and had a good, but way to short visit! We are planning on driving down to Grand Rapids tomorrow to take him out to dinner on a break from his church conference. A long drive, but worth it to spend a few more hours with him before he returns to CA.

Picked up my Mom late on Thursday. It is good to have her here

We took her canoeing yesterday - she had a good time, and it was beautiful on the river!

Gotta fly - tons of stuff to get done - I love going, but I sure pay for it when I get home!

Blessings!
Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #154  
Quit counting at 45!

It's a beautiful Sunday morning here. We had rain all day yesterday so couldn't be outside. I did go shopping and then did some baking at home. A nice day! Today we have church and our annual sunday school picnic afterwards. Should be fun!

Welcome to Patchworkpenguin (a fellow quilter YEAH!) and praterteaches (I know about the lifetime of being overweight!) You are going to be blessed here.

Laurie: Doesn't if feel good to be wearing things you always wanted to? Have a great time with your mom.

Rosebud: Your yard sounds lovely. I've planted some perennials this year and hope that they establish themselves well this year.

Azulfire: WTG on keeping on when you don't necessarily feel like doing it. I feel the same way. I know I need to exercise more and really don't have any excuses as to why I don't.

Aggie: How did your weigh in go?

Hello to everyone else. Have a wonderful Sunday!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #155  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Good Morning Gals

Angie and I just got back from a quick 2 mile walk with the mutts. We did our 4 miler to Starbucks yesterday.

We are going to late service this morning, Angie was finished with bells for the summer but I guess they have been requested to play one of their "hits" at second service today

After church we will go to my son and dil's house for the monthly family get together. Should be fun, my daughter and sil are assisting hosting. We are doing carna asada for the 4th so I think they will have burgers and hot dogs.

I got a new i-pod shuffle for Father's Day from Angie I just love it. I have a larger i-pod that I can't use at work on some jobs, I use a dock for it. This job doesn't allow radios because of the amount of people but we are allowed i-pods and mp3's. My 2 mp3's are only 1g so the music goes fast. I love-love my wife for loading them and being so "understanding" when I get confused as she tries to teach me how to load them

Work has been tough but we did not end up working nights last week...it will come up soon though...ouch! I can hardly make it through days on this project! As soon as I get up to the 2nd or 3rd floors one of my guys will need me to direct them downstairs 'cause they "forgot"....aarrgghhhh....I wish they would listen! But, sometimes things get lost in "language" differences...

Had those same guys over for dinner again this week...I lost in shuffleboard They loved my lasagna However 2 of the 4 loaded up hot sauce on it They are making Angie and I dinner next time.

Angie took my daughter, step-daughter and daughter in-law to the spa on Friday for a day of pampering. They all loved it. It was a gift for a past or up-coming birthday.

Nephew called my yesterday from the Navy Base. He is loving the used car he bought but is quickly out of money! I warned him....but he went against my advice to "save" a little more...a good lesson he will learn! I told him I won't loan him any $$$ until he pays back the $400 he borrowed a few months back when he got in a pinch....he's belongs to the NAVY now

He has a girlfriend in Minnesota and is spending much $$$ on his trips there...young love can be expensive!

Well a big welcome to the new kids!

I will be back later today/tonight.

PS ~ There is an interesting thread going on religion in General Chatter....looks like I am in trouble again! I am a work in progress

have a great day ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #156  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - blessed Sunday to all

Aw, Gary - SOME of us appreciate your comments over there - and they fit the topic - so I can't see that you are in much trouble.

A good day here. Church went well, and it was nice to take my MOM with us

We are heading out to Grand Rapids soon, so we can take DS1 out for dinner. I'm trying to pick a restaurant that will suit everyone, which is HARD!

The weather is much cooler today - hooray! But, I gotta laugh. You all know that I love to complain about the weather, and today's sermon was about "complaining" - I felt totally convicted throughout the whole thing

Prayers continuing for all - I hope that your day is POP

Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #157  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Afternoon all! Its supposed to rain today/night and get a little cooler next week! Yea!

I had a sore hip flexor from CC4 yesterday so I did a few poses on my own, including legs-up-the-wall {sigh}. We went shopping yesterday afternoon and by the time we got home my feet really hurt!

Hubby and I caught a stomach bug so aren't exactly feeling 100% but I hope to get something in later.

Funny story, April hasn't been eating much lately {this isn't the funny part...} we bought her some new food and I don't think she likes it very much plus we think the heat is bothering her {I don't want to eat much either} but she only ate about half what she usually does yesterday so I was going to get her to eat her breakfast if it killed both of us! So I sat her food down and told her to eat and started to get ready for church, she didn't eat but followed me into the bedroom. I went to the kitchen and pretended to eat her food. Pretty soon she was there looking pitiful and I let her at her bowl, sitting by her telling her what a good dog she was. Hubby came and joined us. I give April a glucosimine pill that the vet toel us to give her daily since her ACL surgery. She didn't eat it, and a few other pieces of her food. I had gotten up by this time and poured myself some milk. April loves milk! I sat by her bowl, picked up her glucosimine and told her "you can have some milk if you eat your treat" She took her pill and ate it so I poured a little milk into her bowl. Hubby snorted and exclaimed "my dog understands English now! She's a smart doggie! She ate every bite!

We went to the hardware store to try {again} to pick out paint for the kitchen and living room. We've lived in our house about 7 years and were getting tired of the status quo. Success with the living room, not so much with the kitchen.

No exercise today but its not too late!

CountingDown, Sermons are like that, just what you need to hear when you need it.

Gary, Nice that you have family get togethers! My family is very small and widespread. Hubby's family tends to forget to invite us. Hubby was in the Navy. They asked what you believed in!

Wilma, Hubby bought me a wonderful sewing machine that keep me going. We go to another couple's house for diiner and dessert {I take dessert!} and then she and I go upstairs and sew while the guys go out to the garage! Renee keeps me motivated to keep sewing!

Prater, Congrats on the degree! What do you teach?

2BHealthy, Your garden sounds lovely! As does your weather. Good work with the garbage cans.

Bear with me while I try to keep you guys straight in my head and learn your names! Thanks for the welcomes!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 252.2/226.8/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Everyone!

Once again it has been awhile since I posted. I haven't gotten on the computer much since I'm on it all day at work. I've also been doing a lot of outside work. On Wednesday we thought our computer was down because DH couldn't get it to boot up. Come to find out the power strip we had it plugged into somehow got shut off. I think the cat probably got on it because it is behind the couch and no one else gets back there.

This week was not good for me. I am having some kind of funky thing going on. I want to sleep all the time and I'm crying almost every day for no reason. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in the pre-menopause phase or if it's my thyroid. I have a thyroid checkup on July 13th so I'm hoping that will tell something.

Trust you all are doing well. My friend was up from Florida to see her dad who is dying with cancer. We did get to spend this past Monday and Saturday together for a few hours. It was nice seeing her again. I just wished she lived closer.

Tomorrow is WI and I'm scared. I've done a lot of emotional eating this week so tomorrow could be a disaster.

I need some help. I'm trying to upload a new profile picture and I can't get it to upload. Does anyone have any suggestions. Both DH and I have had not success and he is a computer guru.

Have a great week!

Kathy
O2Bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #159  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

Hi darlin's,

Just a quick post to say hi, I am so very tired. I cannot wait to come back tell you all about my wonderful day today, it was awesome, and God was at the head of it all. PTL!!!!

The weigh in, well, up 1.6, but I know the culprit was sodium. I must be more aware of the salt content in everything, even when I don't think it is there, Thanks for asking Wilma.

To all the new folks, welcome. To everyone else I will be back for all the personals.

Hugs, love, and blessings,
Ags
colormerd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #160  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HI GALS ~

Party with the kids went well....they always do.

I guess the big 'ol palm tree in my son's front yard (of his new house) may be worth 10 grand! If that turns out to be true...2 estimates...and in in fact they can sell it for that, they will, and use the $$$ to make a nice backyard.

SCOOTER ~So glad the time with mom and DS1 is happening for you! I totally understand how important that is! I am not worried about what some think about my posts over there...as I know you know...what really amazes me is that some are such "authorities" on scripture when you know they have never read the Bible. Well, actually it doesn't amaze me anymore.

PATCHWORK ~ Your APRIL looks so much like the Benji I had years ago...part labrador part ?....We get together as a family for dinner (about 25-27...we never know for sure because our family is friends and is always growing for these dinners!) abut once a month...usually at my house but now my son has a bigger house than me...so..hope-hope...they will be over there...wink

KATHY ~ It is not the end of the world if you are over! As God always gives us new starts and chances when we fail...we can PRAISE HIM by doing just that...starting over! He wants us to have good...strong healthy bodies!

ROSEBUD ~ I want to say here on this thread...where I know we are "ONE"... that we may not agree on the size of a church or the money spent....but I do know that you and I will share the "love" we have for each other... as brothers and sisters in Christ when we meet in person one day....in His Glory!

AGGIE ~ WILMA ~ TAMMY ~ EVERYONE!!

I am so blessed to have you as my friends!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 295/286/195

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Feeling discouraged

Good Morning,
I just got back from a very emotional weekend. As I had posted in the prayer warrior group, I had a tragic death in the family and I was out of town for the funeral services.

I dont know if it was because of all the emotion going on, but I was not successful at maintaing the willpower I had strongly developed these last two weeks. I have been on the fat smash diet and was doing wonderful. Friday before I got on the road I weighed myself and I lost 9 pounds in two weeks. That practically made my day until Saturday and Sunday that I pretty much binged. It wasnt as horrible as before, but I still feel very very guilty. Now I am afraid all that hard work will just be thrown away. I need help to keep that will power going. I dont want to give up this time and start in square one again.

Hope some of you are doing better than me.

God Bless and Take care ya'll
~Suga
suga0so0fly09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #162  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

GARY ~
Quote:
I love-love my wife for loading them and being so "understanding" when I get confused as she tries to teach me how to load them
That's funny!

ABOUT THAT OTHER THREAD ~ I think there was bit of a misunderstanding on that point -- I wasn't referring to your church at all; and from what you say, your church people are quite generous and have many helpful and practical programs (ie your food pantry). Let me give you a wonderful example of what I was talking about --

My DH's church was totally paid for by one family who were blessed in their business and wanted to give back to GOD. I think that was marvellous that they had the excess funds and used it to build the church; so all the offerings could go to other valuable programs they have. This family is really living what they say they believe (they put their money where their mouth is). I forget the cost, but it was a lotta money. Recently, they even commissioned a large stained-glass window box of JESUS; again paying for it 100% and it looks awesome. That's the kind of giving and sharing I was talking about.

As you know, I love the Crystal Cathedral Ministries and am a prayer partner. What I love about that ministry the most is the positive way they share the gospel, the uplifting devotions, and the interesting mix of guest speakers that come there.

I think that we agree about more than we disagree; so I hope you weren't offended by my general opinions, that were expressed off the top of my head. I hope I didn't get myself into too much trouble either. They asked the question, and I tried to answer the best I could without stepping on too many toes. Sometimes, I wonder if I should even wade into those waters, but I did ... oh well!

SUGA ~ just keep on going and start over today; forget about the weekend and start fresh. Prayers for you and your family at this time.

HI AGGIE ~ glad to hear that you had a wonderful day ...

HI KATHY ~ sorry to hear that you've been down lately; but you are right, hormones can certainly be the cause of that. Prayers things look better soon. It seems the upload works OK on some days and on others not; not sure why though. So far, I been pretty fortunate getting my pics up. I would suggest that you just keep trying; I mean, repeat the process a few times. Sometimes it doesn't work on the first try, but does on the second try. Just make sure the picture is the right size and not over the limits.

PENGUIN ~ hope your hip and feet are feeling better real soon.

COUNTING ~ Yes, I keep reminding myself what happened to the Jews in the wilderness for all their complaining, so I make sure to thank GOD every day for all the blessings that HE sends our way.

HI WILMA ~ I'm afraid what I thought were snapdragons are actually Irises. My stepmother, Grace was here for a short visit tonight and told me they are pale yellow Irises; maybe I can take a picture of them tomorrow and show them to you.

PRATERTEACHES ~ congrats on finishing your degree; that's awesome. Hope you and your DH and family are finally settling in and are finding jobs (not sure you mentioned that). Sending up some prayers for your depression; hope you can find some peace very soon.

to BARGOO ~ hope you are feeling well this week. How's the deaconess thing going these days?

We had warmer weather today, but late this afternoon, a lovely breeze came and cooled things down for us. We had a downpour almost all of Sunday, so we have a new batch of skitters and noseeums out tonight; yikes ... my Dad and SM stopped by for a chat and I was bitten dozens of times. I hope that sharing about our weather and bug infestations isn't considered complaining though. I'm pretty sure GOD would sympathize with us on both fronts.

Anyhow, can't believe how time flies by when I'm typing; take good care and HI TO ALL OUR CE'S ... ROSEBUD ^^PRAYERS^^ continue for you and yours ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #163  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

ROSEBUD ~

I was not offended in any way at all by your remarks...and I did not want you to be upset likewise by my response! HUGS!

My brother and I have disagreed over the years on Crystal Cathedral! He says that they not have spent all that money...I argue back at look at all the money they have brought in and the good it has done. We all see things different...maybe there is a middle ground we don't see.

He says look at the troubles Crystal Cathedral is having now...I say many churches have the same issues..

I always seem to think the "percentages" are about the same in all churches for "sins" and screw-ups!

Speaking of Crystal Cathedral....I was able to see the JOY OF CHRISTMAS and the EASTER productins some years ago...AWESOME!! C.C. is about 45 minutes from my house.

SUGA ~Prayers.

Better get to bed...Gary
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #164  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hubby and I spent most of today running errands. Nothing very exciting to report. It is cooler this week, we took Sweet Puppy to the dog park this morning and couldn't keep her out of the pond {we didn't try very hard}. But she was a little less than thrilled when we hosed her off in the backyard when we got home.

We are still waiting for the grout to dry in the shower surround. The humidity isn't that high so Hubby thought it would be dry by now. Since its the only bathroom in the house we are taking very careful baths.

Suga, Very sorry for your loss. Praying for you and yours. Congrats on the 9lbs.

2BHealthy, Thanks, my legs are feeling much better today. Stretching really helps. I can't go outside after dark without hosing myself down in bug repellant. I think I have 'mosquito buffet' on my forehead.

Gary, If I added up both families scattered aroudn the country I'm not sure I could come up with 26 people, plus several on my Dad's side haven't spoken in about 20 years. I think its great that you have get-togethers.

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #165  
Quit counting at 45!

Good morning!

I checked my BP at the pharmacy last night. Wake up call again! I can't seem to regulate it these days. So, it's back to my DASH book again. It worked for me before. I still follow a lot of the plan but I guess I got a little lazy and wasn't watching my sodium intake as closely as I should have.

Gary: It sounds like you've started something with those guys. I think it's a great thing that they want to "play" with you. What a ministry you have there.

Laurie: Who doesn't complain about the weather? I'm trying not to or it'll get cold again.

patchwork: Sewing with a friend. Sounds like fun. I took a quilting class years ago and loved it. Now I make baby quilts for my nieces and nephews. I do lap quilting.

Kathy: Sounds like it could be peri-menopause. That happened to me a while ago. I woke up one morning and was so irritable. Nobody did anything right and nothing was right. The next morning I was fine again. I told my dr about it and she just grinned and said "its starting!" Yeah!!

Suga: My condolences to you. You are in my prayers.

Rosebud: Irises are nice too. I have the white ones in my front yard. I plan on moving some around this fall. I have a blanketflower blooming in my garden. Looks really pretty.

Have a great day!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote