Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #16  
Heather

Good morning everyone! I did very well over the holiday weekend. It rained on Fri and Sat so I didnt get to go running, but on Sun and Mon I added 1.2 miles to my route and it was great! I also went uphill (my normal 3.2 mile route is pretty much flat the whole way) My knees are less achey lately, I wonder if I was just landing differently on my feet? Anyway, I didnt get a chance to go last night after work but I will go tonight and tomorrow, another storm headed our way for Friday so it might be too wet to go then.
Anyone near central Oregon?
I have not ran in a marathon yet, I am too scared to do it, thinking I might not be able to finish. Any advice on how to get your first run done? How to get past the self doubts?
Thanks !!!
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #17  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

5k run on the today, and I might be signing up for another 10k that takes place later in the year.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #18  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking Great 5K Run!

I felt great running today, a change from the last time I ran!

There were a couple of things I changed. First is that I wore running shorts instead of the jogging pants I wore before. Definitely didn't feel as warm - I jog inside on the treadmill.

Since I jog first thing in the mornining. I normally run on a empty stomach. So this morning I had a little food before going, not too much just a few bits, gave me more energy to run.

I don't know if this is just wishful thinking, do you have similar or different experiences? What little things make your run easier?
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #19  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I need a good hard slap to bring me to my senses, I'm considering running a half marathon! The main problem is that it's the week before a 10k that I've already committed to do. Enough time to recover?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

echocreek -- Have you run some marathons before? If not I would start with a 5 or 10K... If you have done a marathon, I would not aim for speed or time but just to finish...My 2 cents, but I have never run a marathon myself ...

YP1 -- This advice is only heresay, because I have never done a marathon after a 10k myself, but my thought would be that you could run the 10k just as a regular run with decent time rather than an all out race, I think this would be OK, but then again I have never done this myself...

Sorry girls, I'm not much help am I? I'm sure some of our more seasonned runners could give you advise from their own experiences...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #21  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

A progress report from the land of frustration!

I AM STARTING TO ENJOY RUNNING!

I keep thinking about running when I'm not doing it and how good it was and how I want to go again... Kinda like I do about kickboxing. I worry about myself sometimes!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #22  
Heather

Ilene- No I have never run in any organized event- 5k is how many miles?
I am afriad to commit to a run, what if I cant finish? What a dissapointment I would be to myself, but if I do finish, I will be SO proud. Maybe I will talk to another runner here at work and see what she thinks. She ran a 26 mile marathon last October, she rocks!
Thank you for your advice!
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #23  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

5k is 3.1 miles, and it's a lovely distance to start with, not too long!

I'm seriously looking into the half marathon idea, but I want to go on a longish run over the weekend to see whether plan B (which doesn't involve consecutive weekends with races but is a lot sooner) is even remotely feasible...
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

Echo - If you do the Couch to 5k it is perfect to try for a first race, but I would definitely NOT do a Marathon the very first thing or even a half marathon... I'm sure your friend who ran the marathon had been training for a while before doing such long race...

I had a great run today, 7.43k/4.6m in -8c/16f temps, it was perfect!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I haven't been around much lately, and I'm just trying to catch up.

YP1--if you really want to race the 10k, I wouldn't recommend a half marathon the next week. I know that an all out 10k really takes it out of me for several days. But if you're running the 10k as more of a social thing/fun run, it would be a fine last long run the week before a half.

echocreek--I agree with the others. Shoot for a 5k or 10k for your first race. Or be crazy like me and train for a half marathon. But save a marathon for when you've had a bit more running experience. 26.2 miles is a long way (I've not yet done a mara but I'm sure that after running 26 miles, that last .2 really counts too!) If you want to run a race, find a training plan that meets your needs and follow it. If you can follow the plan, you'll do fine in the race. I wasn't really nervous about finishing the first half I ran, because I had already run the distance in training.

Ilene, weren't you the woman who used to run on the treadmill all the time? -8C is now perfect weather to you? (Me too, as long as it's not snowing) Way to go!
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #26  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I managed a 13k run this morning which I'm really pleased with - it's the furthest I've ever managed without breaking into a walk. It was also colder weather than I've ever run outside in and I'm hoping to get feeling back in my fingers soon!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #27  
aka Superwoman!

Did 20 minute non stop running yesterday morning! In the snow... on my birthday! And I LOVED IT!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #28  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Cool Regulated Breathing

I read somewhere that if you regulate your breathing, it can help prevent leg injuries. By regulate your breathing it means that inhale and exhale ratios are (3:2) steps. I tried yesterday, but it was kind of hard.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #29  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I read that, because if you do 2:2 you're always breathing on the same leg or something so you overwork one side. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it sounds like something to try.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 AM   #30  
aka Superwoman!

I do that! I read that in my running for women book.

Apparently when you exhale you produce more "force" on your legs (don't ask me how or why), so if you exhale on the same foot strike, you tend to get injured on the same leg.

The book suggested breathing in for 3 foot strikes, then breathing out for 2. I find that too crackers and like to control my out breath more. I inhale for 2 strikes then exhale for 3. It works nicely and gives you something to concentrate on, but if I get it wrong it really affects me since I get all short of breath and my feet muddled up, then I have to stop and start again!