Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #16  
Ilene the Bean

Jaime -- Congrats on your run... What a great site that sueandpaul.com ... I mapped out my run and it was 9k ... I feel that it was longer because I was gone for quite a while but it's pretty close, I may go out and measure it later on my bike, just cause I'm curious.

Rabbit -- You're going to love running outside now. I never thought I would like it because I found it extremely difficult in the beggining... but now I've done a turnaround and hate the dreadmill
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #17  

i've been trying to get back into running. so far i've only gone out about 4 times and keep anywhere from 30-40 min. each. eventually, i'd like to go for an hour. I believe I probably could now but I would be dragging a lot by the end. I already drag at the end of 40 minutes.... I'm trying to increase my endurance.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #18  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey Ladies

I am still off and running, I decided I will do the terry fox run in my town here as a trial run for my bday run... **fingers crossed**, I am trying to recruit people to run with me, so far its a no go...no one here, on an army base, wants to bother- go figure....oh well, I still have a few weeks...my hubby would run with me, but he is watching the kidlets while I run...I decided having something to run for is DEFINITELY worthwhile....and since cancer has touched my life and still does, I think it is a great run for me...

Hopefully, everyone is able to run run run and feel good doing it!

Leanne
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #19  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Hey guys! I'm currently in consecration and exercise was one thing that I have to stay away from for a week due to the Lord's messages directly to me and man it sucks! LOL I am trudging through this process but Man is it hard I wanna run sooo bad but I have to be obedient for right now and shut out things that distract my relationship with him. Until then I will be checking in with you guys and continuing to run. I'll need as much inspiration as I can get cause this sedentary thing is really annoying...... I never thought I'd hear myself say that but nowadays I feel tired ALL THE TIME! I can't wait until Sunday then all of this will be over LOL.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #20  

MrsDawson and Ilene, Im totally sold on the CoolMax stuff, but do they have anything baggy? Like one of you mentioned (cant remember which), Im way too self conscious to wear anything tight or form fitting : X

I have been running pretty consistently so far, and did a pretty challenging run on Monday. I think managed to jog an entire 2 miles, running a variation (a LONGER variation ) of my normal outside route with all the hills. Until then I'd only been able to complete 2 miles while running on the flat track, and even that i only did once.. so this is progress! And a bit faster than I expected. Ive been running every other day instead of every day because Im slightly concerned about this pain Ive had in my hip, it wont go away and may have even gotten just a tad worse, but with cutting back to every other day, Im sure it will be fine. I think the exercise actually helps to loosen it up. Once that starts clearing up, I'll go back to a daily jogging routine.

Good luck to those of you entering and competing in races. Im hoping that by next year I'll be feeling confident enough about my distance and speed that I'll be entering some 5k's as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #21  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

10k on the treadmill this morning. It might end up being my last one before my 10k race in about 10 days time, I'm in Dublin at the weekend and unless I summon up the energy to have a run round the city on Sunday morning as a bit of sightseeing cum exercise (this is entirely dependent on my intake of Guinness on Saturday night ) I think I'll probably just have a couple of shorter runs now.

The bad thing though, is that my skin seems to have got very sensitive in the past couple of days. Yesterday I did 3k and the waistband of my shorts rubbed me, so I got red marks round my belly button. Then today my bra did exactly the same thing (the same sports bra I've been wearing for a few weeks) and it all got very painful. Not good.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #22  

I heard that beginners and wannabes are welcome here so I'm just barging on in.

I'm probably more in the wannabe category right now! LOL I'm proud of myself because I ran 8 minutes today-- 1 minute at a time with time in the middle for recovery. I didn't realize that other non-skinny folks also ran! I used to love running when I was a bit less heavy in the past and I'm very much looking forward to being able to do more than 2 minutes at a time! It's tremendously inspiring to read about everyone's accomplishments.

I'm still horribly self-conscious about all things related to athletisism and very easily intimidated. I know I defeat myself when I tell myself I'm too fat to do it so I'm working hard on getting over that.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a confessional, just wanted to come out of lurker status. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, it's motivating me to keep going!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Absolutely, positively YES you are MORE than welcome out of lurkdom and good for you for jogging and walking for 8 minutes, it's all about starting with one step in front of the other ... anyways just wanted to say WELCOME!!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, here comes another newbie/beginner/wannabe in the runners thread.

My husband runs like a gazelle. He hadn't worked out for years, and when he started was able to do 2 miles on his first run. Now he runs 3 miles at about 6mph (when he uses the treadmill) and about a mile of warm up/cool down walking before and after the run. He has only been running since mid summer-and he does strength training 5x a week as well.

I am one of those who had a really hard time getting started. I am the kind that couldn't run the mile in high school gym without getting side pains.

I do strength, yoga, powerwalking, and dancing (teaching dance as well) through the week...and I have been injecting jogging into my powerwalking. I started with throwing in a couple 1/4 mile jogging intervals in, and then worked up to 2-1/2 mile jogging intervals thrown into my powerwalking. I am currently trying to slowly fuse them together into a full 1 mile jog-powerwalking before and after. I alternate treadmill and our local walkway (which is marked at 1/4 mile intervals). My jogging speed has increased from a slow 4mph speed to 4.4-4.5, so I am seeing some improvement.

I would love to be able to do a 5K eventually. I am pretty pleased though so far, from someone who was never able to run at all.

Oh...and I LOVE Coolmax.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Look what the wind blew in!! Aphil, congrats on the running!! I didn't realise you had started running... Or maybe, now that I think about it, you may have mentionned it on another thread...One way or the other, WELCOME m'dear
Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #26  

Okay...I fused my two half mile jogging intervals together and ran a full mile straight for the first time in my life-EVER. I went 2 miles total-a half mile powerwalk warm up before, and the same for a cool down after.

I'll stop for now-I have to teach an hour dance class tonight-and I need to save some energy for that.

I am going to try to run a full mile again a few times this week, and then maybe try to inch it up a bit more.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLumina

I'm probably more in the wannabe category right now! LOL I'm proud of myself because I ran 8 minutes today-- 1 minute at a time with time in the middle for recovery. I didn't realize that other non-skinny folks also ran! I used to love running when I was a bit less heavy in the past and I'm very much looking forward to being able to do more than 2 minutes at a time! It's tremendously inspiring to read about everyone's accomplishments.

I'm still horribly self-conscious about all things related to athletisism and very easily intimidated. I know I defeat myself when I tell myself I'm too fat to do it so I'm working hard on getting over that.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a confessional, just wanted to come out of lurker status. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, it's motivating me to keep going!
Welcome to the thread, Bella!

I know exactly where you are coming from, when i started running, that is where i was too. I progressed very quickly though and soon enough I was completing my first lap, then second.. then my first mile, etc. I am still a beginning here as well, I can run about 2 miles straight through (at a VERY VERY SLOW pace, but at least Im jogging) and then I walk/jog intermittently.

My dad and my brother were both exceptional athletes and it turned me off to sports and physical competition of any kind.. when i was a kid I tried little league one year. I went for maybe 2 games and then never went back-- my mom had taken me, I was terrible at it, and i horribly ashamed and scared to death that my dad and brother would find out how bad I was. I have had so many traumatic "fat kid" gym stories you wouldnt believe it. And when I first started running, you should have seen me, in the blistering heat, wearing a huge t-shirt and long sweatpants. But damnit, I got out there and did it. And am still doing it. You can do it, too Im so excited for you! Congrats on running that eight minutes!

Dont feel bad about long posts, either. As youve probably noticed, I can get seriously long-winded :0)

happy running, Bella!

lilith
Old 09-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #28  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hello Ladies, I have been away for a while (out of town) but now I'm back! I am signed up for my first 5k this sunday. I have been looking forward to it for a while, but of course with my luck I caught a stomach flu the other day! I'm feeling a bit better already and I'm really hoping come Sunday I will be fully recovered. I also haven't run in almost 2 weeks since I have been out of town at a conference where I had no time for it. Anyway, I know my time will probably be pretty bad and I know it is not good to suddenly run after being sick for a few days, but I'm hoping it will work out okay. Mostly I am focusing on getting my fluids -- I lost 5 lbs of water weight in two days with this stomach flu!

Aphil, welcome to the thread! Great job on the mile! I could never run a mile in high school either!

Bella, welcome! Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #29  

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I would LOVE to be able to run a 5K someday. That is one of my future goals.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #30  
Ilene the Bean

Did a quickie 5.5k this morning... It was very humid out and for some reason this bothers my breathing, argh, I hate it... OR maybe I need motivation or a running partner or group. I see a group of women running on Tuesdays and Thursdays I just may but in and join them... Would you guys feel offended if someone would just ask to join your running group? Would you feel that I was imposing? 'Cause I'm a chicken and I don't want to feel like I am imposing myself on them... Let me know your thoughts...
Closed Thread