Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #196  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dy2MrwAlwys View Post
Hello Amanda1977! Good to see another fresh face here. I'm doing C25K on the treadmill and was wondering as well if it was particularly hard transitioning to the "open road", so to speak. Great to have you! Happy running.
Thanks! A friend of mine is wanting to do what would be my first 5K 'run' at the end of the month. There's no doubt that I would not be able to run the whole thing (there would definitely be some walking involved!) but I just wonder how much of a shock to the system it would be. My running style is really more of a 'bounce-in-place' so I think it would take me much, much longer to complete a 5K for real rather than on a treadmill.
Amanda1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #197  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey everyone!

I am by no means experienced, but I can tell you my limited experience with c25k.

I started walking in May, started c25k mid-June. It took me til mid-September to finish the "8 week" course. I repeated at least 1 workout each week because I was concerned about my feet (plantar fasciitis) and knees (ACL surgery and chondromalacia). I run SLOW. My fastest time was yesterday - 40 minutes, 49 seconds to run 5k.

I was told to run as slow as possible at the beginning. If you can run slower, then you're running too fast. Seems to work for me - I've never had anything more than a little muscle soreness along the way.

I don't eat much before I run in the morning. I either have a hard boiled egg and a cheese stick, or a plain greek yogurt with 2 teaspoons of jam stirred in. Seems to be just enough to keep me going, but without feeling too full. In the summer, I took water on my run and took little sips if I got thirsty, but now that it's chilly out, I don't need it.

I've only run on the treadmill once - I was bored silly. I run outside - at least until it gets too cold out.

Hope this all helps! I'm still kind of surprised that I am able to run a 5k. I never really thought it was possible.

Go run, chicks!

Last edited by Riddy; 11-03-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I finished day two of 5k210k I'm enjoying the training so far, my shin is killing me but they were bothering me before I started 5k 2 10k .... Plus I went to a Halloween party on Friday and may took a spill on my knee doing the cabbage patch eeep hopefully I didnt damage myself too much
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #199  

S/C/G: H:220/SO:183/C:177.1/G:128

Height: 5'3.5"

Whoops, forgot to check in. W1D3 completed on Saturday.
2Dy2MrwAlwys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #200  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Starting intervals again after losing 60 pounds. My goal is to run a mile non stop within a 5 K. The last time I attempted I spent several months working up to about a half a mile non stop and reinjured my lower back. I am hoping NOT to do that again. I always go slow but still seem to reinjure my self.hoping to post here for inspiration.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I've started C25K for the 3rd time, I haven't made it past week 4. Not because I've quit per se but in both cases I moved halfway around the world and just never picked it up once I got settled in. The two previous times I've started the program I ran on a treadmill but I don't have one here and gym memberships in my town are really expensive so I've been doing it outside. Hopefully the cold won't stop me in the coming weeks. I really want to finish this time but I'm just going to take it one week at a time.

Good luck everyone and let's do this!!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #202  

S/C/G: H:220/SO:183/C:177.1/G:128

Height: 5'3.5"

W2D1 done Tuesday.

My body felt strong and amazing but my lungs were burning so bad. It was really frustrating knowing my body could keep up with the pace I was at, but my lungs couldn't. It felt like I couldn't get enough air. I was also a little light headed after my workout. The only thing I could think of was that I may have been dehydrated. We ran out of water today so I almost didn't get any at all until my trip to the gym.

Last edited by 2Dy2MrwAlwys; 11-07-2012 at 07:09 AM.
2Dy2MrwAlwys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #203  

Riddy--I had not heard that about running as slow as possible. I will definitely keep that in mind. So far I have set the treadmill on the fastest possible time I can walk (3.5--any faster than that and I have to jog it) and have pushed the jogging part as hard as I could. I started having shin split-type pain last week and have taken a few days off because of it. (Plus I was totally rocking the mummy-look with my Ace bandages for a couple days. lol) I think that if I backed off on the intensity of the jog I will do better long term.

Thedollylala--Congrats on starting the 5K210K. I love the idea of training for a 10K so that program is on my radar. Are you planning to go beyond a 10K at some point? Or are you just taking it as you go?

2Dy2MrwAlwys--Congrats on getting into week 2! I have the opposite problem sometimes where my breathing/heart rate is fine but my legs just can't go anymore. I'm starting this at a pretty high weight, though. I don't do a very good job of getting my water in when we're out either. I know I could drink out of the tap but I just don't. I actually need to go exchange our jugs soon. Thanks for the reminder. lol

Changergirl--This is my second go-round with C25K. I hurt myself in a fitness class last time and stopped right after doing the first run in the 4th week. I'm in week three now and have my fingers crossed that I make it through. lol We moved from Germany to California in 2010 and then from Cali back to Germany in 2011--I hear you on the adjustment period. It's rough! By the way, I spent a little bit of time around Taegu, South Korea several years ago. I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked but it's a beautiful country.

I hope everyone is having a great week!
Amanda1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #204  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changergirl View Post
Hopefully the cold won't stop me in the coming weeks.
Think layers and wicking material. There's some really great warm-weather gear out there.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #205  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I ran yesterday in 35 degrees and breezy. A wee bit chilly in my current clothes - wicking undies and long leggings, sports bra, wicking tee and wicking compression jacket. Next time it's that cold I'll try my wicking long sleeve shirt under the jacket. I did pretty good, though - ran the 5k in 41 minutes, kept running for 45 minutes, 3.41 miles total.

I'm thinking of trying the 10k app once I get tired of just running for 45 minutes at a time.

I'm going to attempt a run tomorrow, but I am SO skipping it if it's snowing out.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Hi ladies. Lots of silence on my end because it's been so nice outside that I've been riding my bike more and more, and not running as much. I tend to save running for the cold and crappy days (I actually like running in the cold but it's just miserable on the bike), and with our weather being awesome lately I haven't had much incentive to run. I am exercising though so all is not lost. It's supposed to be pretty bad the next few days so I'll be doing the week 2 runs soon.

Keep up the running! You guys are doing great.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #207  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Auger, I am SO not ready to run in snow yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do over the winter yet. I tried running on my mom's treadmill a couple weeks ago, and I was bored silly. So I will keep running outside as long as I can stand it.
I cannot handle the treadmill, which is probably why I "enjoy" running in the cold/crappy weather. It's the lesser of two evils and seems so much more preferable to the dreadmill. I get bored easily, practically fall off because I can't keep a consistent pace, and hate the thud sound I make with every step.

Anywhos, after a while you'll learn to love the cold. With enough layers, it's really fun.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #208  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paja View Post
Hi everyone! I couldn't find anywhere whether this thread is only for C25K proper, or whether people in "C25K-like" plans can join in.
I'm doing C210k so I'm also a bit different than everyone else. We're here to support each other going through a running plan so you are very welcome to join us!

Quote:
I could really use some encouragement/strict accountability to get through my last 4 runs (I finished W7D2 yesterday), as well as perhaps some help figuring out what to do next when I get there
What distance will you be running at when you finish your program? The options are to go longer or get faster. So either do a program that works to a longer distance or do yours again with hills and intervals mixed in (jog during the walking parts and sprint/run faster during the running parts).

Quote:
And... maybe some pointers on running in the rain. ^_^
As much as I mention liking running in crappy weather, I'm not a fan of rain so I have no good advice for you. You'll feel better once you're done? That's all I got.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #209  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeIwant2be View Post
I'm on week 6 of C25K and today I completed my FIRST EVER 5K!!!!! It was hard but I thought it was going to be awful. It was really fun. I may be getting hooked on running!
A very very belated CONGRATS!!! I hope I can get to the hooked on running part you mention. A lot of people mention that it comes to them after several weeks of running so hopefully I'm on my way there.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #210  

Quote:
My disappointment from Tuesday is magnified tenfold. I'm angry at myself– both my body and my willpower, which I believe are equally responsible in this situation. I've never failed to complete the same workout twice.

Advice, hugs, commiseration are all welcome.
Massive commiseration from my end. When I did this program last year, I couldn't get through one of the weeks and would just stop mid run and pout. Most of the time, I would literally have a debate with myself about how much I didn't want to run but how I needed to suck it up and do it. I'm sure people around me thought I was crazy.

It seems to be a normal thing to feel that way. Maybe you're just having an off week. The great thing is that you finished both of those runs, even if you had to stop during them. That's a point of pride and remind yourself of how far you've come. It's awesome that you're able to run so far for so long, and one or two stops shouldn't take away from that.

Quote:
Also, a more direct question: for those of you who are morning runners, what do you do about breakfast? After struggling with feeling it sloshing around in there, I tried an experiment today with waiting to eat until after my run. Unfortunately, I think the stomach cramps I was getting throughout the second half may have contributed to my repeated stop-and-walks. I don't have time in the morning to eat and then wait for it to digest before my run. Again, any advice welcome.
Perhaps have a little bit of food as you're getting dressed, like half of a banana, or the whole thing if you can handle it. I used to do that for swimming in the mornings, which I know isn't as jostling as running, but the little amount of nutrition helped me get through the hard workouts without the nausea I'd feel if I ate too much.