Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

Yep, running every single day is bad. Your body recovers when you rest. You should have at least one day each week where you take a total break from exercise, or you risk injury and sabotage your improvement. Learning to take a day off was realllly hard for me!

As far as running long goes, what are your goals with running? If you want to do any race, you should go long. To run your best 5k, a long run of five or six miles would be ideal. If you like using running to challenge yourself, going long is a fun way to do that.

If you get bored of the TV, try running outside. My first few times outside, I hated it, but now I won't run on a treadmill. Keep up the good work!!!

I had some major GI issues on my run this morning. I had to stop and find a bathroom. Uuuugggh!!
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #47  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

For the beginning runners here (and anybody returning to running after taking some time off) here is some excellent advice:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-1-1-2,00.html
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #48  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

welcome new runners!

i guess im officially running again no goals, however.
today ran 5 on the tread...... LA workout: 400 meters sprint, 800 meters LA Threshold (10Kpace~ 7:08) 400 meters goal marathon pace (8:13) recovery and repeat 2 more times

Oh! and i broke my right wrist rollerskating. apparantly rollar skating is NOT like riding a bke typing is a challenge, as is eating, writing, scratching my butt, etc......

Happy new year

ps i ALSO became a statistic this holidday season...heloo 5 extra pounds i must now get off........ trust me there wasnt a cupcake in all of Denver i turned down this season!

Last edited by mkroyer; 01-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #49  
In the desert...

I swear I am going to start running again some time this month... I just keep getting sidetracked by doing other things that work my knee a bit too much. I rode my horse this morning for 45 minutes and while I had planned on doing a 30/30 jog/walk workout after that, I realized I'd worked my knee enough for one day, so I took a pass. Tomorrow I'm going swimming and that shouldn't put too much stress on the knee, so if that works out OK, I'll get my jog/walk in. I am SO ready to start running again but I'm also incredibly wary about pushing my knee recovery too hard and injuring it or having a setback - that would really tick me off. So I'm trying to find that balance between pushing hard enough to work the knee and get it back to 100% and not doing so much that I get myself in trouble. Fine line, I tell ya!
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

May I join? I just started running as of 1-2-11. I haven't been running seriously since high school when I was a cross country runner (like 8 years ago!). I want to get back into the shape I was in then! My goal for 2011 is to run 365 miles. I know it's not a lot, but I think it's something I can do.
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Matt! Thanks so much for your encouragement!! Tonight I set the treadmill to 45 minutes and voila, I ran 3.7 miles....and it was FINE. I had myself totally convinced that I could not run 5k, but obviously I can!

This, from the article you posted, is helpful

Quote:
Thinking in terms of mileage may seem overwhelming. Instead, commit to a set number of minutes. Time goals allow you just to be out there, without the pressure of feeling like you have to cover a specific distance.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #52  
Token rooster

Awesome Uber!!!

Tonight I'm scheduled for a 3 mile run. In fact, the training plan that I'm trying to follow (with adjustments for life events) would have me running 3 miles a day for the next 3 days. Tomorrow I'll need to go to the gym at 6am to get my 3 mile run in before getting ready for work (as I have plans at night and I won't get home till late). The same morning routine will have to happen on Friday too.

In general, this week is going to be a challenge for me food wise and I'm tempted to increase my running to counter-balance some possible high calorie meals. Tomorrow night is a friend's B-day party dinner at an upscale restaurant and most of the options are not the best. We are supposed to meet up afterwards for "drinks and dessert" and I think I will not be doing that. Saturday night is dinner out with another group of friends at a diner type restaurent (we will be having "brinner", ie, "breakfast for dinner" ). I've looked at the menu already online and I'll try to choose something relatively healthy.

I hope to do a longer-ish type on Sunday.

Anyway, my next race is on Feb 6th and it is a 10K! My first ever 10K. I've run that distance already on the treadmill, so I know I can complete it. Anybody have any upcomming races they are excited about?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I just signed up for a 5K at the Nashville Zoo on Jan 22. I won't be running the whole thing, but I plan to do some intervals.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #54  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

Ran 4 miles yesterday, but I didn’t run today. I figure I will do my long run tomorrow since it’s supposed to snow here Friday, and possible Saturday too. I would just run on the treadmill at the gym, but I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing.
I'm totally afraid of this too. I wear the little clip that stops the treadmill if you do fall. I never see anyone else use it, but I fugure, with my lack of coordination, it's a valid possibility. So far, I've never fallen off. But twice I've run too close to the front and had my stomach hit the stop button, sending me running smack into the screen(because I'm afraid of falling off the back)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
I just signed up for a 5K at the Nashville Zoo on Jan 22. I won't be running the whole thing, but I plan to do some intervals.
Where did you sign up? I'm in Clarksville...I might be able to make that!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #57  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

*WAVES*
Gosh I wished I had more time to respond to everyone!

Welcome Newbies!

Day 3 of Marathon Training which meant 5 miles today!
Day 2 Cross train- Spin class/PIlates class
Day 1 3 miles.

Tomororw 3, Rest Friday, 5 Saturday and then 8 Sunday!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #58  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Ran 4 miles yesterday, but I didn’t run today. I figure I will do my long run tomorrow since it’s supposed to snow here Friday, and possible Saturday too. I would just run on the treadmill at the gym, but I have this fear I might fall off which would be so embarrassing.
If I was at your gym and you fell, I'd come over and see if you are ok! NO need to ever feel embaressed! People in a gym are not quick to judge, they are there to get healthy/thinner just like you!
You can always grab ahold of something or jump off if you felt light headed or dizzy etc.
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #59  
Token rooster

Its funny that I feel like a slacker only doing 3 miles at the gym tonight.

My plan is to wake up very early and hit the gym at 6am for another 3 mile run. If all goes according to plan, I'll do the same thing on Friday morning which will make 3 run days in a row!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #60  

So reducing my speed has been a revelation! When I did c25k last year, I absolutely LOVED it. I never had to make myself run, I looked forward to it every day. Then I hurt my knee and was devastated. This time around I haven't loved running. I've been wanting to love it like I did before, but it's just not there. I wasn't feeling amazing after my runs like before. I wasn't craving runs like before. And it's all because I was running too damn fast!!! Now that I'm running slower, my runs make me feel good again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLindseyLouHoo View Post
Where did you sign up? I'm in Clarksville...I might be able to make that!

http://www.nashvillezoo.org/events_d...asp?eventID=90

It's a little pricier than other 5Ks I've done ($38), but I guess that covers the dinner. Proceeds go to the zoo. It looks fun and I'm doing it with some co-workers for a fitness competition that we're in.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.