Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #106  
In the desert...

I do NOT like being confined to a treadmill, though it does make doing intervals super easy. I just get so bored - outside, I find my rhythm pretty quickly and seem to get into a mentally relaxed zone that I just can't find in the gym. I did two miles of intervals this morning and while it went well, my knee is definitely a bit swollen this evening. I don't know if it's the running or sitting around so much during the workday. Either way, I popped an Aleve and slapped an ice pack on it to see if that helps - it usually does.

I can't wait til it's light before 6am and I can get outside and run again - I really miss it in the winter.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #107  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

*waves* I'm a alive, going to make a point to come catch up with everyone sometime soon! Usually I get on and log my weight and thats it, life is busy!

Anyways, Doing my training, had 5 miles in brutally 12' degree winter here and it was horrid. Today is a treadmill 3.

Happy Running folks!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

I had a really hard time getting myself into the gym tonight. I've been in a bad mood today and was tired after work. I knew I'd feel better after my run, but it's hard to convince yourself of that when you're not feeling into it. The first half of my run was a little rough because I was still feeling a bit negative. But I got my 20 min run done! And of course, felt better after
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #109  
Living the Life

Great job getting your run in Ashley!! It is so hard to push yourself when your day is like that! But you were awesome.

The husband and I ran 4 miles last night and I felt so strong! I loved it. I haven't ran that long since Thanksgiving so it's nice to start running longer distances.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #110  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Today was almost a bust. It was the day before my period and I was CRANKY CRANKY CRANKY. I went on a terribly fruitless shopping trip and it was also the coldest day we've had so far this winter, with biting wind and ice on the ground.

On the train ride back from the city I decided to run, so I put on three pairs of socks, two pairs of tights, three shirts, and three layers of headgear (headband, hat, hood) and off I went. I managed about 45 minutes before my legs started to protest. I'm really not sure how fast I was going - not too fast - maybe I went 4 miles or thereabouts. It felt so great to run and my mood has been very level and good since, and I wore the perfect amount/combo of layers to stay warm without getting too hot or feeling like a marshmallow.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #111  

Well we got socked with snow here. I fell on the ice wed when heading out to a conference. Banged up my hip and elbow up pretty good. The upper thigh by my right hip is a mess with bruises. I ended up taking wed and Thur off. I did an easy 2 mile treadmill run at hotel Friday that actually seemed to help the leg. On Saturday I did 2 miles and the the last mile I alternated between 4 & 6 on the treadmill. I think I was exhausted from the late nights/eay morning partying at the conference.
Today I ran 5 miles. This is the furthest I have ever run. I was so scared that I wouldn't even come close to it. Yesterday made me feel inferior. Silly but true. I loaded lots of bad 80s music on my iPod and got through it.

They are predicting 2 more snow storms this week. I am beginning to wonder if I will actuAlly be able to run outside when all this snow is gone. I am concerned the only reason I am able to keep going is because the belt on the treadmill propels me onward!

Also even though I haven't had a chance to respond to your posts you all serve as great motivators to me thanks.
meoc7197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #112  

My calf muscles are SO sore from Friday's run. Worse today than they were Saturday. I don't really understand why Friday made me so sore when my mile run last week didn't. Both times it was a 1/2 mile increase from what I had done previously. Maybe I pushed myself faster this time because I was on the treadmill instead of outside? Or maybe my warm-up wasn't sufficient, as I said, I was really tired that day. Anyhow, I hope it feels better tomorrow so I can start week 6.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #113  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

Ran 10 miles Tuesday, 4 Thursday and 8 today, a total of 22 miles this week. Today’s run was terrible though, cold and windy. I don’t mind the cold so much, but the wind just kills me. There was also about 4 inches of the snow on the ground, so it took me almost 2 hours to complete my run. I hope some of the snow is melted by Tuesday.

Aclai4067, Congrats on week 6! I don’t think I’ve ran consecutively for more than two weeks in a long time.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Still not running - but have pushed my walking time up to two hours. I plan to increase this from 2, to 3 or 4 times a week, then begin sprinking in bits of running within the walks.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #115  
In the desert...

I ran outside today for the first time in over four months - it felt really good. It was chilly (about 45 degrees at 6:30am) but compared to what some of you are dealing with, it was delightful! I walk/jogged for 40 minutes, including hills (there is no out and back run from my house that is totally flat!), then came home and iced my knee just to be cautious. My calves are a bit tight right now but my knee feels great - possibly I'm over-compensating for my knee by pushing my other muscles a tad too far.

The plan this week is to do intervals on the treadmill Tues/Thur and intervals outside Sat/Sun - and keep stretching every day, which is really helping.

By the way - the only way to watch awards shows is on DVR - if you fast forward through all the speeches and categories you don't care about, a three hour show takes 45 minutes.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommaplusone View Post
*waves* I'm a alive, going to make a point to come catch up with everyone sometime soon! Usually I get on and log my weight and thats it, life is busy!

Anyways, Doing my training, had 5 miles in brutally 12' degree winter here and it was horrid. Today is a treadmill 3.

Happy Running folks!
Twinmomma, you just inspired me to go put my tights on and be brave and go run outside.... I can't tolerate the thought of another 5 miles on the treadmill. It's about 30F here today. I can do this, knowing others out there are dealing with it too.

Thank you!!
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #117  
In the desert...

My shins are sore today which I think is in response to running outside and on hills yesterday. It's not shin splints, just muscle tenderness, thankfully. I really miss running outside - it's not the cold like many of you are suffering with (it's about 40-45 degrees here first thing in the morning) but it's dark at 5:30am which is when I would need to get out, and I just don't feel safe enough to run in the pitch dark. My husband said carry pepper spray, but that's got limited abilities. Our neighborhood is all residential and I think it's very safe, but common sense tells me not to run in the dark! Can't wait til it's light mornings again.

Question for those of you who run longer distances - at what point do you need to take in fuel? I far prefer running on an empty stomach, which is fine for 5k's but I hope to do a half marathon in December and I'm fairly sure I'll need to get some calories in during the race. At what point (time or distance) do you think fuel becomes necessary? Any suggestions - Gu or shot bloks seem to be the easiest choices to carry and eat on the run. And presumably whatever option I choose, make sure I train with it before race day! Any other suggestions or advice?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #118  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
for those of you who run longer distances - at what point do you need to take in fuel
I don't. Although I'll say my longest run has only been a half marathon, I think if I did more I may reconsider. I almost always run on an empty stomach or at most one packet of GU before my run usually only because I run at 5:00 am and need a kick in the but. I too live in a residential area and I do carry pepper spray. I've been running early mornings for probably about 9 months and haven't had any issues. You just have to be smart. I don't have any recommendations on fuel during other than just pick some up and try them out. Everyone responds differently not everyone needs them. Good luck!

Got a good 10 miles in pre period Saturday and then she showed up last night and kicked my but. My 3 miler this morning was rough because of it, but I didn't use it as an excuse. I'm feeling so so bloated today and I just want to crawl in a hole and die, but such is life Happy running everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #119  

Well, despite still feeling a bit sore from Friday, I still got in my run yesterday. I kept it slow and don't feel any worse from it! Tomorrow I'm donating blood and I don't think it's a good idea to run after. So that means I have to get up EARLY! ugh.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #120  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Yesterday was a total fail run. There were plenty of factors contributing to it, namely hunger, TOM, and the wrong socks. I got what feels like a muscle knot in my calf that is still there the morning after and couldn't maintain a pace or groove for more than a couple minutes at a time. What causes these bad ones, I wonder? Have you experienced the same?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote