Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #91  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

ncuneo..way to go..you obviously know what works for you and THAT is what counts and will work in the long run..there are days I don't feel into the run either...for myself, sometimes I can think to what I ate the day before that made me feel sluggish (red meats and too many processed items in my case)...sometimes I can't trace it to anything...
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #92  
In the desert...

Thighs - the article is online if you want to read the whole thing - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3816-0,00.html.

Basically the contestants run - mostly interval training - as it's considered by the trainers/health advisors to burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time. Plus, the confidence boost the contestants get from becoming runners seems pretty impressive.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

Looks like everyone is doing great!!!

Question for all you runners: How much cross training do you do? My gym closed a few months ago, and I just kind of stopped all strength training. I'm trying to get back into that and into doing my yoga DVD, but it's tough! I know cross training is so beneficial, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. What do you guys do to cross train? I strength-trained twice and did yoga once this past week.

Also, weekly mileage PR: 43 miles!
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #94  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Weekly mileage: 15-17

Cross-train: 2 days/week (weights, wii dance 2 - wut? it's a workout, and pull ups..up to 2 sets of 3 two difference ways)

*EDIT* - Sometimes I slack too - and I have NO Excuse as I have full gym at home

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-10-2011 at 07:26 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #95  

hi everyone...can't believe it took me this long to hop on January thread...lol...starting week 7 today...its going to be a challenge, but hopefully I can do it in a week...if not I will until I can do the 3x12 minute runs. By the way, I am 57 and I just started running, for health, my inspiration is a 8something year old man here in New Orleans who runs marathons and he started running in his 60's....yeah!!!!
azaleagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

cincimom- I'm not the best about getting in my cross training but I do usually at least go to spin class once a week.

This week is the dreaded week 5 for me in c25k. I think this week is intimidating to everyone on the program because it seems so fast to go from 5 min intervals to a 20 min run in one week! But I think my mile run last Saturday did a lot to mentally prepare me for this week. I didn't time my mile, but I'm sure it took about 12 min (maybe longer) and I felt like I could have kept going for a little bit. I need to remind myself of that when I have that 20 min running looming over me Friday. Anyhow, it's very exciting for me to reach week 5 because I injured myself on week 4 last year and did not get to complete the program.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #97  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

cinci- spinning, rowing and swimming are the best crosstraining compliments to running.... you dont want to do the elliptical or stair master because it just causes the same *kind* of stress on the lower body......
ive actually been running on the treadmill lately! Blah.... BUT i just ran my longest ever TREADMILL distance ~ 9 miles posted a decent time too
8 miles at 64 minutes

just cuz i got a new ipod nano with all sorts of new music on it, plus a radio (my old shuffle didnt have that) so i was able to keep myself amused on the treadmill for that long...... did the first half as a tempo run, building up to 10 K pace ~ approx 7:18 and then the second half i did a LA ru, where i worked DOWN from top speed, maininting threashold pace (10K) then stepping down to goal marathon pace (8:20) then repeated..... the time flew

also got in a couple 5 -6 milers on the tread at other times

anyway, theres no way i can run outside here for a while, but they are talking about it being in the 50s by this weekend......so im keeping my fiingers crosse

oh, and nothing like the fear of death in the morning to wake ya up! White-knuckled driving for an hour and a half the entire way in to work..... i never got above 20 mph
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #98  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
cincimom- I'm not the best about getting in my cross training but I do usually at least go to spin class once a week.

This week is the dreaded week 5 for me in c25k. I think this week is intimidating to everyone on the program because it seems so fast to go from 5 min intervals to a 20 min run in one week! But I think my mile run last Saturday did a lot to mentally prepare me for this week. I didn't time my mile, but I'm sure it took about 12 min (maybe longer) and I felt like I could have kept going for a little bit. I need to remind myself of that when I have that 20 min running looming over me Friday. Anyhow, it's very exciting for me to reach week 5 because I injured myself on week 4 last year and did not get to complete the program.
If I recall correctly my first mile ran without stopping took me about 15 mins. I ran really really slow...haha I didn't care...I was running and I didn't care how many little old ladies and walkers passed me up!

A HUGE on running your 1st MILE! I remember what a feeling that was (actually...it wasn't that long ago...haha) I know you'll make 20 mins. It'll be a challenge, but never stop believing YOU CAN DO THIS...and BRING IT!

BTW, I started running end of September, and my longest run to date has been 4.7 miles! I'm going for 5 today...Woot!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #99  
Living the Life

Hey-I'm new to the forum, but jumping right in.

I love running. I've been running for about 2-2.5 years. Started with C25k, did a bunch of 5ks, some 8ks, 15ks, a few half marathons and one marathon. I was helping a bunch of co-workers this year run their 1st 5k and now we are about to run out 6th one together.

I'm also training for a half in April and the husband is joining me! Yay.
I did about 10 miles last week.

For crosstraining--I know I don't do as much as I should. I used to swim. I have a bike for warmer weather. I do a light whole body strength routine T, TH--with lots of stretching afterward. I should do my yoga DVD more often too.

As for which moves, I use barbells and push ups for arms/chest. I have a medicine ball to help with some core and I usually go for plank moves. I usually do some lunges, squats but really try to hit smaller muscle groups running doesn't. Especially my hamstrings,hip flexors.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #100  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

Long run/jog today, did 10 miles. Tuesdays normally aren’t my long run days, but we’re supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow here. I probably won’t be able to run outside until Friday or Saturday. Thursday I’ll run 3-4 miles on the treadmill...arg, and then 6-8 miles over the weekend.

I’m not sure if this is cross-training but I take Zumba, Yoga, Spinning and Step classes throughout the week, and usually Boot Camp on the weekends. I should take the strength training class my gym offers, but I haven’t yet.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #101  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Finally came out the other side of my fatigue! Awesome 4 miles this morning. 35 miles to 1000 Small scare this weekend, I thought I may have had my first injury. I had what felt like tendenitis in my foot, but after a few days it has gone away. Not sure what it was, but I'm being careful so as not to reagrevate it and make sure it's not really tendenitis. Hope everyone is doing well!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #102  
In the desert...

Blah - insane working hours mean it's challenging to get my butt out of bed at 5:10am to go to the gym. But - I am pleased to say today makes day 3 that I have done it (only got cleared to work out last Thursday so I started fresh this week). Did treadmill (yawn) intervals yesterday - 60/60 jog/walk. I felt like I could do longer on the jog intervals but I didn't want to risk doing too much too soon and ending up hurting. I am sore today but that good post-workout sore. Did my PT exercises today and will run again tomorrow - my poor legs are getting more of a workout than they've ever had before!
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Hope everyone is getting in some god runs this week! I know snow is thwarting some of your plans. Luckly we didn't get quite as much snow here. And it's been cold enough that the snow we did get didn't do the whole thaw and re-freeze deal. So the roads are okay and the gym is open. Sidewalks are still a little rough, so I'm indoors this week. Did my two 8 min intervals for C25K W5D2 today. Friday is my 20 min run. I think it will be hard on the treadmill. I tend to think about my running too much on the treadmill, especially how much time i have left. It's so much easier to zone out when I run outdoors.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #104  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

First run since the foot incident tonight!!!! After a month and a half I was pleased that I didn't lose that much endurance. I really like running in the cold, but I can feel my stomach fat flop around and it's horrible and distracting. I need some more Spanx-like running leggings. Foot is all better. Due to time constraints I only did 35 minutes of steady jog/a bit of hard running. I will go again tomorrow provided the weather cooperates.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #105  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Hey fellow runners!!!

I'm on some kinda natural high here...ran 5.4 Miles today...which is over my goal of being able to run 5 miles. I'm completely stoked!

On to next goal...to sustain 5 miles/day 4 times a week for at least 2-3 weeks....after that, the dreaded...INCLINES!