Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #1  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Default MAY Runners!

Let's hear it for May! One of my favorite months of the year!

We had a freak snowstorm yesterday which canceled my 10 miler. Going out this afternoon as I have two weeks left until my half marathon!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Wow! That's a huge difference from my weekend weather - really really humid! My long run on Sunday was miserable. I have about three weeks left until my half marathon, so I hear you on needing to get out for long runs.

Good luck to you!
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #3  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerChemist View Post
Wow! That's a huge difference from my weekend weather - really really humid! My long run on Sunday was miserable. I have about three weeks left until my half marathon, so I hear you on needing to get out for long runs.

Good luck to you!
yup... zero room to be slacking on the long runs! Is this your first half?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #4  

No, it'll be my fourth half. I just ran a 10 miler in April, but injured myself a little and had to cut back on running for a couple weeks, so I feel as though I am not as far along as I had planned on being at this point.

Is this your first half?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #5  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I think I can safely say that I'm a C25K grad, and move onto this thread. I feel like I grew up lol.

Since finishing the C25K I stopped focussing on time, and now on distance. I got myself up to 3 miles a session 3X a week, and today I was going to add another "lap" to bring me to 3.5 miles each session, but after 2 miles I was dying from the heat. I feel like a wussy, but I felt like I was running through concrete, I was sweating so bad and could feel the sun pounding on me. I figured it was best to stop, and do another 1.5 miles later tonight when it gets cooler.

I've followed you a little loosely on here Fat Pants, sorry if that sounds creepy. I think it's really awesome that you're running a half... especially since you started with the C25K. Good luck with your 10 mile run, whenever you get to it.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #6  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Default hey May runners :

I have 8 weeks until my first half. Running and I have not been very friendly lately. I've lost that lovin feeling. I have hope it will return. I've tried all my best rejuvenation tricks which aren't working, but I'm pluggin along anyway. Oh mojo where are you. My Sunday long run was the best in weeks. Still not great, but I will take good enough and be glad about it.

My in laws are going to fly in for our marathon/ half and my Mil is going to run the full as well. It's almost like we are giving them another grandchild. They met running, as members of a running club. It's been a serious passion for them forever and we are the first of their combined kids to share it.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #7  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Six weeks until my half marathon! ack! The past week has been **** and I only got out to run one time. I even missed my long run of 7 miles on saturday. I gotta get back on track! The weather has been miserable here...windy COLD and rainy. Guess I'm going to get that 7 miles done on a treadmill. BAH!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Oh, I think I'm a runner!! Unlike noodles, I feel like I'm already a runner! LOL! I ran a mile on Thursday and decided to throw myself into week four of the C25K program and I'm dragging my husband along with me. I'm afraid to run outside though...for one thing, I bounce a little too much for decency. Maybe some day. I love, love, love the endorphin rush!!

Plus, it's good for my heart. In Spin Cycle class my heart rate is no longer getting up past 140, but running shoots it up to 171. I can't wait for that to get better!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #9  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I don't feel much like a runner at the moment, but I'm here in the base building stage. I'm doing about 10-12 miles per week, with runs between 3-4 miles.

My goal for the next 3 weeks is to increase my mileage gradually and build in a little speedwork (tempo runs mostly) to get a bit faster. My goal is to build endurance and fitness. I'm not too keen on doing any races right now- need to save my money for my big vacation the last week of May.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #10  
Crazy runner

Chemist - Yep, this is my first half. Are you all healed since your injury?

Noodles - Welcome! Congrats on finishing C25k! That's a great accomplishment. Don't worry, it's not creepy.. I totally have people that I've "followed" on here as well! Are you planning a race in your future now that you're done? What's your plan on continuing with running?

Geranium - ugh I know that feeling all too well. I'd lost the loving feeling until about two weeks ago as well. It just was not fun, nor easy, seemed like I was struggling with the most basic stuff. Also I've had a tough time getting back out on the road..since I treadmill trained most of the winter, I adapted to that. Now running outside is tough, tough, tough. How fun to have your in laws running the race with you! What a great story.

Eve - Ugh, 7 miles on the TM. Good luck!

Eliana - have you tried Enell bras? I am big chested (even bigger when I weighed more!) and the Enell bras are pretty "lock and load" and keep me from bouncing too much. www.enell.com

chickie - have fun with the speedwork... I actually love speed sessions because they go by quickly!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #11  

Fat Pants - I am all healed, it seems. I think I strained something and it made it hard to even walk. Lots of stretching and using either the bike, elliptical or stair stepper made it ok.

Eliana - I second the bra statement. Running outside is so much nicer than the dreadmill.

Geranium - I am with you on the motivation thing. It's work for me to get going sometimes. But I am always, without fail, glad I did it when it's over and in a better mood.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

How do you guys handle the heat of running outdoors? I don't like heat. That's the only benefit to indoor running...controlled temperature.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #13  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Yay - I just did my first 5 mile run in forever!!!

I have been working up to a 10K which is THIS SUNDAY. But for the last few months I kept pulling my right calf muscle whenever I did more than a couple of miles. I would take time off to heal, and then go out and do it again.

So about 5 weeks or so ago, I started a condensed version of the C25K, doing each "week" once instead of 3x, which meant I did the workout in 3 weeks. Then I did a few 3 mile runs, popped a 4 mile one in there last week (which killed me), a couple more 3 miles and today I did my first 5 mile run. And, you know what - it went OK. I actually got a stitch about half a mile in which never really went, but it did get less after about a mile or so. So my times were just over 10 minute miles while I had the stitch, and the rest of my miles were under 10s, and the whole thing came in at 49:15.

Yay! I feel so good now, and so ready for this 10K on Sunday - I have been very unsure about doing it, especially after the 4 miler was so hard, but I am psyched now.

The entries for the London Marathon open today. I entered last year but didn't get through. Wish me luck this time.

Eliana - I have only ever run on a treadmill twice - this time last year actually when I was preparing for the same 10K a year ago. The weather was atrocious so rather than not run at all, I did a couple of runs in a gym. I hated it!! I was MUCH hotter inside than running outside, with a nice cooling breeze. But I guess it depends on which part of the world you are.

I don't especially like running in below freezing temperatures, although I do wrap up. I also don't like running when it's very hot, although it doesn't really get very hot here - lol!
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #14  

Hello all,

Good news from me: down a pound and at 200.5. Some of you know I've been working on onederland FOREVER and I now just have one pound to go! I've also changed my goal from 159 to 175 for now. I was basing it on BMI, but I think that is an imperfect tool. So I figure I'm going to make my goal 175 for now and then reevaluate. Talked to my doctor and she agreed. I mean, I'm a size 12 now, and it's hard for me to believe I have more than 40 pounds to lose from here. Since I've changed my goal, I am past my halfway point!

Fatpants, SGeranium, Chemist and Eve - Wow! All of you training for your half marathons...I've got to be careful or you're going to be peer pressuring me into starting to training for one. Well, should probably do a few more 5ks and a 10k first!

Robsia- Congrats on 5 mile run, a real achievement! You are ready for your 10k!

Eliana - it's getting hot and humid here so I think I will try to run in the early mornings, like 7 am. Or treadmill - I am sensitive to heat and humidity (everyone in my family is) so am not going to risk a run in hot sun and high temps.

noodles - congrats on your continued success after finishing c25k!

Did some fun cross training this weekend - a great dance class Sunday night and then indoor rock climbing with my SO last night. I did indoor climbing a few times in college but didn't have the confidence to try it when I was bigger, so it is a challenge for me. Had a lot of fun and got all the way to the top of the wall. Too pricey to make it a really regular thing but definitely plan on doing it from time to time. Planning to run or lift today after dinner.
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #15  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Hi, I hope it's ok for me to join in here.
I completed the C25K program in March and have been slowly increasing my time and speed since then.
I've signed up for my first 5K on the 3rd July and am excited and nervous about it.
I did my first full 5K on the treadmill last week just to prove I could do it, and did my longest outside run 10 days ago which was almost 36mins and I think about 4.7K but not sure. I generally run 3/4 times a week with 3 of those being on the treadmill and one outside, usually about 3.5/5K distance.
I've been ill for the last week with flu so my last run was the 5K on the treadmill, then today I went to the gym and only managed 20mins, walked 2mins, then ran another 8mins before my chest was burning. I really struggled with the rest of my workout today as well so I think I may have a slight chest infection or at least irritation from coughing so much this last week. I was still proud of myself that I went and did a workout though and did more than I thought I'd be able to.
Hopefully my next run on Thursday I may be able to manage a few more minutes but we'll see, I'm just glad I got ill now and not at race time. My goal is to run the whole thing and so far I'm on target to do that which I'm really happy about.
I'm not sure however if I should be working on running more than 5k at a steady pace til the race so the race itself should be easier, or sticking to 5k distances but working on speeding up a little, as I'm slow. Any advice please?
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote