Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #121  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

MK, sorry to hear about the bad marathon experience. Guess you will be staying away from clif bars for the time being, huh?? In all seriousness I'm glad that you didn't suffer from much other than diarrhea, especially with the potential for dehydration and all that.

Pam/MileHighMama - glad to see yet another Coloradan here! I was considering running the 10M winter distance race in February but I think that's a bit too far for me right now. Started half marathon training in hopes of doing the Ft Collins Half in May. We'll see! Welcome!

well all, in my quest to cross train I have found some great classes at the gym. Spin was interesting but honestly not that much of a workout for me?? I'll stick with it to see if it gets better (I took a beginner's class). I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY to have found a great strength training class on Wednesdays that I'm sure will help my running tremendously. For right now though, I am nursing some seriously sore muscles from the insane amount of lunges/squats we did in the class. I really gotta get back into running more than twice a week - life's just been really busy lately. Supposed to do 5M on Monday according to the training plan and looking forward to it!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #122  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
as far as bleeding--- trim your toe nails. its probably one toenail has an edge that is rubbing against the other toe..had it happen a million times to me

RE pain underball of foot/big toe--- could be a form of sesamoiditis-- a catch- all diagnosis for anything wrong with the sesamoid bones under your big toe. They can be inflammed, they can have stress fractures... Metatarsal pads help with that. They go on the ball of your foot and redistribute weight

Thank you for your help. I will look for the metatarsale pads over the weekend at the McDaddy running shop.

Yahoo! Went 7 miles today and the weather was GoYgEoUs! I know it doesn't REALLY count but I loved seeing 129 on the scale after workout!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for the welcome, Fat! Sounds like you have found some great classes at your gym. Where do you workout? I've been thinking about doing the 10M in Feb but I think it is too much for me, too. I'm still a newbie and don't want to push it. I feel so good right now but my ankles and knees are still a bit tweaky and I don't want to risk an injury at this point. Plus, I am interested in trying to improve my time for the 5M I did in January (Frosty's Frozen) and want to focus on that.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #124  

MHM - welcome! You are wise to start with a bit of caution as a newbie - better to prevent any ankle or knee issues than to lament them...

TBG - even if you know the number on the scale isn't 'real' that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it!

MK - wow, sounds rough! It shows your tenacity that you still finished despite it all. Good luck with your recovery and getting some balance back in your system.

FP - I'm sure if you took a more advanced spinning class you could get a good workout. I've taken a few and when they challenge you to increase the resistance - wow, it can be tough. The strength class sounds great - I always find that I push myself in a class more than I would if I am just lifting on my own.

Some good news - I am down half a pound this week, at 203.5 today. Not much, but I'll take it. One small step closer to onederland!

Had a nice 3.5 mile run today outside - cool, but sunny and not too much wind. A bit frustrating that I had to take a few walk breaks on the hills and go slower than I would on a TM (it took me just over 45 minutes), but I know I'm getting a better workout and I get to enjoy the spectacular view. I'm running three days a week and might try adding a fourth run at some point - I'm nervous b/c I want to be gentle on my joints, but perhaps will give it a try in the next few weeks. I'm headed to DC for a few days next week on business and planning ways to not let my eating get derailed when I'm out of my usual routine.

Happy weekend!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 186/170/155-160

Height: 5'5''

Hi Everyone! I'm going to join you in running through January. I'm writing this as I'm trying to psych myself up for running outside later this afternoon, even though it's gray and cold out.

I was a non-runner for 20 years--thought I couldn't, due to a once broken leg and shaky knees. At 40, however, much to my surprise, I learned that I could run after all. I did C25K in the spring of 08 and was delighted that it actually worked and that I could run 3 miles by the end of it. Since then, I've had stretches of several months of good running, followed by an injury or illness or something else that's gotten in the way. e.g. I was in great shape in the early summer (09) and then got sick with what turned out to be Lyme disease, which knocked me out for most of a month. I started myself up again at the end of the summer and was doing great--I ran my first 5K in early December (in just over 35 minutes, which was exciting, since it was a personal best)--and then had to stop for 3 weeks while I had to take IV antibiotics for the Lyme, which was only belatedly diagnosed late in the fall.

So, it's frustrating--every time I feel like I'm making progress, there's a setback. But I lost the IV on New Year's Eve and have been running in the weeks since then. Since I'm still a bit nervous about my knees, I'm going for 3 times a week, interspersed with other exercise. But I'm working on my speed (and getting a bit faster) and hoping to run another 5K in the next few months. The winter challenge is that I've been running on the treadmill 2 days a week, when I'm at the gym, but I'm trying to get 1 outside run in as well over the weekend. (I live in New England, which is less conducive to outdoor winter runs than other places.) I did just buy a 1/2 price Mountain Hardwear windstopper jacket from Sierra Trading Post, and that helps.

Anyway, it was inspiring to read through this thread, and I'm pleased to find other new runners (not to mention the experienced ones!)
suecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #126  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMama View Post
Thanks for the welcome, Fat! Sounds like you have found some great classes at your gym. Where do you workout? I've been thinking about doing the 10M in Feb but I think it is too much for me, too. I'm still a newbie and don't want to push it. I feel so good right now but my ankles and knees are still a bit tweaky and I don't want to risk an injury at this point. Plus, I am interested in trying to improve my time for the 5M I did in January (Frosty's Frozen) and want to focus on that.

Pam
Pam ~ I just joined the YMCA - I'm really loving it so far! It has a great indoor track for days like today when I'm too much of a wimp to run outside. One of these days I'll utilize the pool when my legs need a rest. Yeah I definitely think I am going to sit the 10M out ... there's a 10k in the Springs at the end of February that I'll probably do, just to get back into racing. I was thinking about the excitement of race day the other morning... it's like no other!

Blue - I definitely think being in a class motivates you more! It's crazy when I think about the strength class... it's not new stuff but for some reason I just feel compelled/motivated to keep up with the others! Even though it was killer, I'm excited for my second class tomorrow evening!

sue - welcome and sorry to hear about your troubles. That sort of stuff can be so frustrating, be it a running injury or other disease. I think (and as I'm sure you have also discovered) that daily exercise - especially running -does so much good for the body, mind and soul. It's much more than a tool for weight loss, you know? Sounds like you have some great goals mapped out for yourself!

Nothing too exciting happening my way... got a 5 miler planned for today's training schedule. Only 10 lbs away from my goal weight as of yesterday morning.... CRAZY!! Trying to decide how I want to celebrate once I get there...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

hey everyone. I've been sucked into the school trap...and coping with stuff. so, I haven't been running lately. But, yesterday I totally went to the gym and since there were people on everything but the weights, I did a solid bit of weights and some mountain climbers. I don't see the results since my period is coming any day now [so bloated!!] but hopefully by the time it's over, my thighs will look as sleek as they feel!

I don't think I'm at my minigoal weight currently, but.... no idea. I'm working on eating healthier and I'll work my way down to it once again. My period (assuming it comes in the next day or two!) should be over right in time for the beginning of February, giving me a month to seriously work at getting to 140 [then lower!].

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 01-26-2010 at 04:04 PM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #128  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Loquacious, hang in there! It sucks when you get so caught up with life/work/school that it gets harder to make time for yourself. You will be under the 140's in no time!

Fat, only 10 more pounds!!! Ahhh! that is so exciting! You will absolutely get there, so proud of you! Congrats! I didn't like my first spinning class, either. But I went a few more times and I ended up getting hooked. When I looked down at the floor and could see all the drops of sweat, I knew I was getting a great workout! Hope you end up liking it, too! How is hm training going?

Welcome, sue! I know how you feel with running setbacks. My doctor told me to stop running until we figure out what can be done about my hip.

blue, good luck on staying on plan in dc! You can do it! Just plan plan plan!

So I hate my doctor. I've been waiting for over a week for my 'referral letter' to come in so I can call the orthopedics guy and make an appointment to get some progress made on my stupid hip. I get the letter yesterday and call today after work to make the appointment. The receptionist tells me that not only did they refer me to the wrong doctor, but that the doctor that does do hips needs a film copy of my x ray which I got done, and he needs me to get an mri before I can even make an appointment with him. I call up my original doctor and the earliest I can get an mri is in about 2 weeks and i have to drive 50+ miles to get it because the mri machine we have is booked all next month. How crazy is that?!

I haven't ran since the first of january, being patient and trusting my doctor but this is getting nuts. I'm seriously considering a 'trial run' just to see if i still get the hip pain. I'm just so frustrated because I need to get started training for my half marathon in June and I feel like not only am I not making progress but I'm LOSING my hard earned endurance and will have to start all over again.

There's my rant for the day, sorry ladies. Hope everyone has a nice running day today!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #129  

Aw Eve, at least you'll be ready mentally to get back into the swing of things.
Personally, my endurance has died... Hopefully i'll be able to get it back soon. I mean, sure, it's annoying that you need to work at where you were before, but when you get there, you can be proud of where you are!

I've been going to the gym and focusing on weights, especially with my legs. The thing I'm most conscious about is the fat on my thighs...and although I really want thin thighs, I'm kind of excited by the prospect of them becoming mostly muscle, since that's where the majority of my weight goes! I mean, I don't want bulky thighs forever, but once I get my running endurance up, it will really help me go longer.

Today...Hopefully a mile on the treadmile then...we'll see!

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 01-27-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #130  

Greetings from DC! I got here yesterday morning and have been staying pretty well on plan, with the exception of drinking a fair amount of wine last night (yes, mixing in a bit of pleasure on my business trip). But doing a ton of walking, and planned ahead by bringing my baggies with dry oatmeal, almonds, and cinnamon to make breakfast. I'll be back Thursday night so I can still get a good long run in this week (going to try for five miles - aaah! that seems so long!!!)

Monday night I took a boot camp class at the gym: 12 stations (things like chest flys, wall jumps, medicine ball chops, squat/bicep presses) each one for 40 seconds, then onto the next. We did the whole circuit 3 times and then ended with 7 or so minutes of ab work. Only about45 minutes but a good intense workout - sweat drops were coming off my face when I bent over to lift up a weight! I enjoy mixing up my workout routine by including classes, so I'll definitely be back. I'd recommend trying a boot camp class if they're offered where you all are - a nice mix of strength and cardio.

Eve - thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear about your doctor woes - that is really frustrating. Maybe you could try a short, slow run just to see how you feel? And stop if it starts hurting? although I don't want to tell you to go against your dr advice, I can understand how rough this must be since it's taking so long to sort out.

Loquacious - focusing on weights at the gym is great. I have been dedicated to my strength routine for several months now and it definitely helps. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even if you're just sitting there and not using it. And definitely makes you looked more toned. Way to go on getting to gym despite the other things you're juggling.

Sue - welcome! Glad to have you on the thread.

Okay, off to go for a walk through Tacoma Park...
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #131  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

loquacious, my thighs are a sensitive spot for me, too! They just seem to BULGE out we'll get those toned sexy thighs one day if we keep on truckin'!

blue, glad to hear dc is going well so far. You can totally do the 5 miles, you rock! I'm going to try a nice and easy run on saturday to see how I feel.

I did my weight training when I got home from work and I've got spinning class tonight. Looking forward to getting a good sweat going!

Last edited by EveLHaelf; 01-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #132  

blue ridge: thanks for the encouragement! I went today for an hour. did around 40 minutes (1.5 miles on the treadmill + 20 min elliptical) + 15 minutes weights. I know muscle can be great. I got back on my treadmill routine today and although my endurance is shot since I'm just starting up again, I felt like it took far less effort to run intensely now that my legs have muscle.

eve: hopefully! I've been actually watching what I eat quite a bit....and now upping going to the gym to at least 4x a week. My legs/*** look SLEEK and toned.... no fat buldge near the knee! But, they're BIG. I'm still in awe that when I poke my thighs, I don't feel jiggle--I feel muscle. I know I'm pre-period bloating, hence why I don't see the results, but it already seems firmer. Today, I wore my jeans tucked into my boots (something I rarely ever do since it emphasizes how disproportionate my thighs are to the rest of my frame!) and actually felt like I looked good [and stayed warm!]. After I reach my next minigoal (140 or 135), I'll post pictures. I took some 149ish front/side/back...so, hopefully a significant improvement!

A friend who knows my objective pointed out that when you do weights, it creates bulgey muscle rather than making you look thinner, but doesn't it get rid of the fat? I was wondering about this... I just looked it up, apparently although muscle weighs more than fat, fat takes up x5 the space of muscle, aka if you gain muscle, for women, you look leaner and slimmer! Yessss, there's hope for us eve!

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 01-27-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #133  
Crazy runner

You're exactly right, Loquacious. It's pretty much impossible for women to "bulk up" from weight lifting because we just don't have the hormones (testosterone) to do so - unless of course you're taking steroids. Weight lifting makes you tighter, toned, and generally look better. I posted in another thread that I feel like I look 10 lbs heavier than I really am because I didn't incorporate weight lifting from the very beginning... I'm just a bunch of fluff from running (well, except for my legs... lol). As far as fat taking up more space than muscle, that's again correct... it's why someone who weighs 145 lbs can actually look smaller and better fit than someone who weighs 135 lbs but is "skinny fat."

PLUS. Major benefit from weight lifting is that it improves running by 10 fold.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #134  
Crazy runner

Oh yeah, forgot to post my update... ran 5 miles on Tuesday, did an athletic conditioning class on Wednesday.... came home with a pulled groin. Awesome. I will be out of commission until this heals up. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do in the meantime?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #135  

Skinny Jeans: At least you did 5 miles on Tuesday and the class! Maybe, do some toning exercises for your upper body... not really sure what else you can do besides wait. I've definitely seen my running quickly come back to me as I've upped using leg weights. I had a hamstring injury last summer... I think a major component on it was the fact that my hamstring muscle wasn't able to handle the weight of my body while sprinting, especially at that point in time.

Last night, did 1.5M on the treadmill @9/8:50ish + elliptical + weights. I was a little lighter on the weights last night and my legs seem significantly less bulky today [since the muscle is healing/developing!] . This morning I looked in the mirror when I was getting dressed. I have NEVER seen my butt so toned! This is exciting. Since I've been OP [for the most part caloric-wise!], I can't imagine how fit I will look when I reach my next mini-goal since I'll be a muscled 140, rather than a "skinny-fat" 140.

I'm starting to focus a little less of the toning on my thighs like I always do...and focus on my upper arms [can barely lift 10lbs...] and my love handles. Since I'm pear shaped, most of my weight is in my thighs so I really don't have that much of a stomach. But, I do have love handles...I must fight them, since stomach and arms do factor into running!

I'm going to try to go tonight for a short weight/cardio workout although I have studying to do! Sigh, 20 credits is not what it is worked up to be.

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 01-28-2010 at 02:09 PM.