Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #91  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Default About those plans

So the plan I was thinking about using for my half has me take a step back in mileage for the first several weeks. I feel a little uncomfortable with that. I worked hard to gradually build up my base. I know you are supposed to trust the plan, but do you always?
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #92  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

im assuming the plan is a generic one off the internet?? it prob makes certain assumptions about where youa re starting, mileage and fitness wise.... its up to you if you want o modify in the beginning, or at any point, to fit your neeeds. on the other hand, stepping back a couple weeks is definitely not going to to take away your hard earned work!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I am planning to use (well, so far so good one Week One this week ) Hal Higdon's 10K program is found here http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

What do you "pros" recommend? Does this look like a good place to start? I have only been running since the end of summer but I can comfortably run 3-3.5 miles (albiet slowly but...whatever I'm not worried about times right now anyway)

This run is a little longer than a 10k but not by much so I think this should be okay.

Today is cross training day. Tomorrow only 2 miles! I never run only 2 miles anymore! Oh well. Sounds good to me.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #94  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

SGeranium and Momof5K - I use those online training plans as guidelines. As MK said, they are very helpful tools, but they are generic. You can modify them to suit your individual conditions.

In general, when I am training for a distance race, I simply keep my weekday runs the same while gradually extending the once-weekly "long run" up to race distance. If you already comfortably run 5 miles, there's no need to drop back to a long run of 3 miles, for example, you can just start the training schedule from wherever you are. If you have plenty of time before your race, just double up on some weeks (keep the long run the same), or extend by half mile increments. Or take "step back" weeks where you decrease your long run a little to give your legs a rest. You decide.

Once you are more advanced, that's when things like speed intervals and going longer than your planned race distance start to apply. As a beginner, the key is getting used to going those longer distances (no matter what the speed). My philosophy is to work on distance first, THEN speed. As a beginner, your speed tends to improve just by training consistently. Speed work can come later.

The caveats -- don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week, and pay attention to how you feel.

my 2 cents!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #95  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post

My philosophy is to work on distance first, THEN speed. As a beginner, your speed tends to improve just by training consistently. Speed work can come later.
Couldn't second this anymore if I wanted to! I still consider myself a beginner and it's difficult for me to remember that as I experience these new (longer) distances, it's the mileage that counts, not the time. We all have an idea of what we want for our time, but I believe I read in Hal's recommendations that you should be jogging at a slow, comfortable speed. Enough so that you could have a conversation with someone. At the lower distances, I'm tempted to see how fast I can go, but that just puts me in a "must be faster" mindset for the rest of my runs.

I'm using the Novice HM program and the first few weeks are a step back, but honestly, I don't mind all that much, because I'm stretching the program out by 5 weeks to hit my half marathon date, and because I'm starting up some new classes at the gym/getting back into weight lifting so it's easier to focus on those things if I'm not getting nervous about the distances!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #96  

welcome Jazz!

So I ran 4 miles on the treadmill Tues - first time I've ever run that far. It came out to about 12 minutes a mile. I'm working on building my base and getting up to 5-6 miles of consistent running (as per your comment above, FP). That way I figured a 5k won't feel like too far. Weather has been warmer, so yesterday took a long afternoon walk before going to the gym for strength routine. I'm hoping to run outside Saturday if the milder temperatures persist. Walking is good cross training for my off-running days, and I have read that it burns almost the same calories as running. Hard to believe because I am not getting my heart rate up near as high, but that's what I've read in my running books. Anyway, can't get outside during the day today so planning a 3.5 TM run in the evening.

Keep up the great work, everybody!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #97  

Hey everybody...

Sorry if I'm inappropriately jumping into your thread, but have been wanting to get more into running and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about a decent entry running shoe that is <$175. I'm still overweight and my current sneakers just don't seem to mitigate any impact.

There's almost too much information/choices to be had there so thought I might pop in here and see if anybody had any strong opinions!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #98  
Tellin' it like it is!

Random-- the only thing you can do is go to a REAL running store in your area (road runner sports or some similar place) and have them fit you for YOUR perfect shoe!! You will absolutely be able to find a GREAT shoe for approx 100 dollars, give or take..... all of our feet are so different, and everyone needs are so different, no one can reccomend what will work best with your personal feet!! Ie; there are shoes for people with high arches, flat arches, over pronation, underpronation, neutral, racing, stability, extra cushioning, high mileage.....and every brand has their own version of each! When you go to the running shoe store, they will have you walk/run barefoot on a treadmill (just for about 30 seconds) and analyze your gait. they might also have you step on a pad that check how high your arches are, then they start throwing shoes at you to try on! I personally favor Mizunos....only because the shape and design compliments my foot structure so well.... Others here use Nike or Asics or Saucony. All great shoes, for THEM....for me? They (Asics) exacerbated my running deficiencies and caused big problems.... go get fitted.. you wont regret it!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #99  
Tellin' it like it is!

leave for phoenix on sat!!
Ive toned down my training, ALOT the past week and a half....only run at most 20 miles in 2 weeks!! Ive also INCREASED my calories AND MY carbs ( a little--baby steps) and how does the scale reward me??
down SEVEN POUNDS in 2 weeks!! i am at almost an all time low....all from training less, and eating more......something to be said for moderation, i guess
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

mkroyer: Sounds like that is just what your body needed Good luck in Phoenix!!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #101  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegirl View Post
Walking is good cross training for my off-running days, and I have read that it burns almost the same calories as running. Hard to believe because I am not getting my heart rate up near as high, but that's what I've read in my running books.
Does walking burn the same calories as running? Well, sort of.

Running involves being airborne for part of your stride, while in walking one foot is always on the ground. Since you are fighting gravity when running, sort of like repeated jumping, running does actually require more energy. But there are MANY variables, including how efficient a runner you are (and the more experienced a runner - the more efficient your stride). And that doesn't factor in specialized techniques like race-walking, which at certain speeds has a higher calorie burn rate than jogging! But the differences in calorie burn are pretty subtle, especially when we're talking about 3 or 4 miles distance.

So .... for all practical purposes, walking or running the same DISTANCE will burn pretty much the same number of calories, although running will net you just a little more. Of course for the same TIME period, running will burn more calories than walking because you cover more ground!

I actually wrote an ehow article on the subject:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5395152_ex...s-running.html
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

mkroyer: I'm happy to see you're going to arizona for it! Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!

I'm just starting today back on my running regiment (although I'm trying to slowly work up my mileage [although my speed is stable!]). A really tramautic thing happened and despite reaching for 4 oreos, I went to the gym and did a sub-8 mile while sobbing. I'm not sure running will help me through this because I connect running to what happened... but, I hope it can help.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #103  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Red face

MK- good luck! I'm glad that all is well with your decreased training. down 7 pounds is great!

My doctor was a bit late with my x ray results (he said he would call Monday.) I got the call this evening. Basically from what he explained, I have an extra bone that's about 2 centimeters big in my right hip. He didn't sound too worried about it, but he is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon for continued treatment. When I heard the 'surgeon' part, I got instantly nervous but he explained that I won't necessarily need surgery. They can do other forms of treatment and we can see what works, I guess. I really have no idea what to expect but I feel a tiny bit of relief that we have found the cause. I'm feeling more hopeful about my situation than I have in days. And if it turns out I do need surgery to fix it, I just hope I don't miss my half marathon! But if I can get back to running pain free it will all be worth it. Running has done so much for me in just the short few months I've been doing it. I've missed it greatly!

All of you are doing so well with your running and I can't wait to join you all again!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #104  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

MK - thank you very much for your advice! I'm going to take it. I didn't even think about it as being a "beginner" runner again. Building up mileage seems like it should be a priority. I didn't really think about it as doing 2 speed workouts a week.... because I'm just not that fast yet! A 30 min tempo for me is still quite slow, but it is good because I push myself a little harder to run a full 30 minutes without stopping to walk or drink water. 30 mins no stopping!! I didn't know if I could do it, but I did, on Tues, and it felt great.

I made the workout schedule with those workouts built in just because that's the schedule we used in cross-country training. But don't worry, I'm not pushing myself speed-wise too hard. I know that speed will come naturally as I get back into it, and for now I need to just focus on completing my mileage.

MK ps - good luck in AZ!!!!! and congrats on 7 pounds down!! Sounds like your metabolism is repairing itself already, and feeding yourself more carbs for energy is just what your bod needed!

Random - my fave shoes are asics. They are just the most comfy for me, and I usually buy their $74 ish model. But you really have to get fitted to see what will fit YOUR feet best. If you are worried about your extra weight, I'd recommend a shoe with a lot of cushion as opposed to something really lightweight. Your feet will like you better And you shouldn't have to spend to much over 90 or 100 to get a really decent shoe.

Question for everybody - How fast did you run when you first started running? Not race pace or anything, just relaxed running pace for say a 4 mile workout? 10 min/mile? 12? Just curious
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #105  
Tellin' it like it is!

Jazz-- i ran a comfy 10 minute mile when i first stsrted, and was able to get it down around 9- 9 30 within the first few months..