Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #16  
In the desert...

MK - glad you've made a decision. Sometimes that's the hardest part! I think pacing a running partner in a race is a really smart idea and I'm sure he'll appreciate the support. I know running in a race is easier for me than running alone, simply because having others around me pushes me and distracts me. Keep us updated on how the repair program goes - I am very intrigued what goes into it! And what you get out of it, of course...
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 205.0/188.6/130.0

Height: 5'8"

Default 1000 miles in 2010

If you run 2 to 3 miles each day in 2010, you can run 1000 miles in a year!!! This is an exciting goal! I wonder how much of this goal can be achieved during January??? We'll see
livingoodinthe707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #18  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveLHaelf View Post
zephyr, what I did to find local races in my area was google "5k races in Idaho" You can also check your local ymca's website for races as well. Also try active.com you can search for events in your area. I just noticed you are in PA! That's where me and my hubs are from! We got moved out to Idaho cuz he's in the Military and we are missin' it!
awesome, thanks!! Did you look for 5k races after you were already running that distance or before hand to motivate you. I'm a bit nervous about getting overwhelmed..that and I'm not sure what it'd be like to run in the cold.

Where in Pa were you guys from? I'm southeast of the poconos. My hubby was in the navy actually and we lived in Va Beach up until a few years ago. We are really loving being back home.
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #19  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

OK, I am officially joining this thread!

I ran a 5K on New Year's Day and made it in 39:22, which is about a minute and a half less than my time at the 5K I did in November. And this one had A LOT more hills. I'm really pleased with that and happy that I started 2010 off in a healthy way. This is the first year in a long, long time that I haven't needed to make any weight or health-related new year's resolutions!

I'm currently training to run/walk a half marathon at the end of March and then will be training for the Atlanta Iron Girl triathlon in June, which includes a 5K run. The idea of completing 13.1 miles is more than a little daunting to me but a friend is doing it with me and I know if I train properly I will make it.

I would NEVER have considered myself a runner before I started. I remember the first time I tried to run outside, I felt like my teeth were going to fall out and my legs were all wobbly - it had been double-digit years since I last ran and even back then, I wasn't a runner. Now I love to do it and it feels natural.

Here's to a healthy new year!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #20  
Sing it

S/C/G: 197.4(07)/175 (10)/170.2/161

Height: 5'4"

I'm in this, too! Instead of looking to lose weight this year, I'm focusing on running. So far, I have run three 5k's. This year, I will do two 5k's (one in February, one in May), one 10k in July, and a half-marathon in September. Lofty goals, I know, but I have to get serious at some point and I can't keep waiting for another excuse to pop up!
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #21  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

MK, I'm so glad that you have made a decision and that you feel so good about it! Keep us updated!

Welcome to hotstuff and litchick! I too am training for a half marathon. Mine is in June. We can do this!

zephyr, we are from the south western area. About 2 hours from Pittsburgh. We miss the GREEN of PA because Idaho is so dreary and dry!

I've decided I'm going to make a doctor's appointment for my hip. My biggest fear is that he's going to tell me to stop running, and that just ain't happening! I'm really hoping that it can be resolved simply...like with certain shoes or maybe strengthening/stretching a certain muscle. I really wish I could run tomorrow, but my darn hip still hurts so I'm going to give it a second day of rest and do some other form of cardio.

Happy running everyone! Still waiting for my Garmin.....
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #22  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I forgot to answer zephyr's question in my last post!

The first race that inspired me to start running was the half marathon I am training for in june. After I signed up, I started making a detailed training plan that included the couch 2 5k plan. I then started looking for local 5ks that I could participate in. My first 5k ever was last Thanksgiving and I was only on week 5 of the program so I wasn't even at the full 3.1 miles yet. My goal was just to be able to run the entire thing, and if that meant going at a turtle's pace then so be it. The new year's 5k I did was on my last day of the c25k program and just running following the program, I was able to improve my time by 3.5 minutes!

So the program works very well! And once you run your first race, it gets very addicting!

I'm kinda not sure where to go from here training wise....Do I start off by running 3.1 miles a few more times and then up the mileage?
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #23  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Evel: I'm using an adapted "Hal Higdon's" Half Marathon training plan. Do a google search, it's free and easy to adapt. I use the cross train days to swim/ bike as an Olympic triathlon is still my main summer goal. There's plenty of time to adapt as you need. I also plan on stretching it out so I run an 11 and 12 mile long run before the half.

Lit Chick: I did my first sprint tri last September and I loved it . You will have a blast.

MK: It sounds like you are happy and confident in your choice. It sounds like you sounds definitely use the rest. Take care of yourself and have fun.. You are doing this in your free time after all it's supposed to be a little fun right....

Hope the New Year is treating everyone kindly. I am getting back on track and trying to assess holiday/ vacation damage. A little detox is in order I think....
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #24  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

eVEL- DITTO hal higdon. Look him up. the training plans are free. I believe he might assume at the start however, than you can already run a 10K....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I haven't run since I've been pretty sick lately. But, I plan on getting track as soon as I'm back at school. I'm planning for a half marathon in May... and that training plan actually looks great although I'll be stretching it out over a longer period of time.

2010, here I come!
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #26  

Hi everybody - happy 'back to the routine' day...first Monday after the holiday break.

Did 4 miles on the treadmill Saturday - ran most of it, but walked about half a mile with crazy big intervals which seems like a good addition to my workout. Did the 30 DS yesterday and today's a rest day but am ready to kick it again tomorrow on the TM with a 3.5 mile run (the longest distance I will ever have run!) - yes, still doing the TM, it's something like 15 degrees here AND windy...so ready to be in onederland, and really committed to making it happen now that the holidays are over and I am so darn close! I have been losing inches and I know I'm building muscle, but still, I'd like to see a '1' on the scale as well if that's not asking for too much...

hotstuff and litchick - welcome! Great to have you here!

EveL - wow, I just noticed your ticker. You are seriously rocking the weight loss as you work on your running! Fingers are crossed that all goes well w/ your dr appt re your hip.

SGeranium - I, too, am in post-holiday detox mode trying to do lots of fiber, water, fruits and veggies, etc.

MK - I echo what everyone else has said. It sounds like rest is what you need. It's hard to remember to pace ourselves and not overtrain when we are really motivated, and I'm glad you're taking healthy steps. We're all here supporting you!

Alright, friends, let's rock 2010!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #27  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

So I made it through my first day of the C25K program. I was half tempted to start at week two because I felt like I could run for 90 seconds at a time but decided to stick with week one. I didn't feel like it was a huge struggle but I'm glad I didn't skip ahead.

For all of you that went through this program..This week says to walk brisk for 5 minutes and then alternate running/walking for 20 minutes. Did that 20 minutes include the warm up and cool down or just the running in the middle?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #28  
Tellin' it like it is!

Loquaicious &Evel, and anyone thinking of doing a half-training program, but dragging it out,,,this is what i will say (as it was the advice given to me) DONT. Follow the plan as it was intended or designed. These programs have things like built-in step back weeks, strategically placed long runs, lowere mileage weeks after high mileage weeks, etc etc. You will get burned out, or overtrain. They are designed to get you half-marathon ready in 12 weeks, or 16 weeks, or whatever, not 24 weeks, or 30 weeks, else it would be written as 30 weeks.
My BEST advice is to simply get your weekly mileage and longest run mileage UP TO what you need to be able to do the first week of the program, and then start the program when it is time. THERE ARE "Base building" running programs out there, designed to get you up to running 25+ miles a week, or whatever your goal is.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #29  
Tellin' it like it is!

4.25 miles this am. Godawful cold. Slow.
OH, and i woke up and took my temp before i got out ouf bed....96.2 degrees. Almost clinically dead?? Practically. Something is very wrong........ i love you guys!! Keep running!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #30  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone - Happy New Year! It's quite chilly down here in Florida-land (44 this morning!), but nuthin' compared to the run I did back home in Indiana in 11 degree weather!!! I don't know how you guys do it. I was so glad to get out and stretch my legs, but I could never run in those temps all of the time! I guess that's why God invented treadmills.

My Montana sister and I have hatched plans to run a marathon together in Idaho next September. Yes, Idaho. It's a very small race, and a young one, but a race that she thoroughly enjoyed last year. I never thought I'd be enticed to run a full marathon again, but after several successful long runs (up to 20 miles) last month, I'm thinkin' I can hack it. It will mean full-on training in the heat of the summer, but you can't have everything. We're not aiming for a fast marathon, more like 5 hours, so there's no pressure. I can do that.

It's the peak of our running season now, and I have a 10K coming up (maybe 2) and Miami (I'm doing the half) at the end of the month. I will probably sprinkle in a 5K here and there, not sure yet. Mostly, I just need to run off all of that Christmas cake and pie ....

MK - My 2 cents is to go with your gut. If this plan feels right, then it is right. Certainly continuing to go on as you have been isn't getting you anywhere. And you may bounce back quicker than you think. I think it's important to look at the long term - you want to be running and healthy for many years. A few weeks of step-back may be just the ticket.

Welcome to all of the new folks! Fair warning: running and racing can be habit forming!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote