Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:57 AM   #106  

Hi everyone..its late here but finally have a moment to post..i have been going to curves but my knee is sure letting me know when to stop..am taking it easy went to the grocery today to get stuff to bake..i usually dont do this but am having so much company its nice to have something to offer and i know the grkids will eat it up..plan on using splenda in some cookies so i can have some..tomorrow i have apptments to show and maybe sell my ornaments at 2 diff gift stores.. wish me luck..i know this time of year is hard on us we have to pick and choose when we want to indulge some..h you sound so frustrated and we all have been there..just do the best you can..baby steps ok..maybe a cooking class will help the boredom of eating foods you dont like or not used to..if you get sat or cable the food network has some good shows on lo carb cooking..for everyone there is an article in the new first magazine on diebetes and 3 vitamins and minerals that will help control insulin production..it was an interesting article check it out and tell me what you all think?? im always reading whatever i can on the subject and have tried a few of them..anyways ladies its late and im pooped..way past my bedtime and im afraid i will turn into a pumpkin oh my i do resemble apumpkin allready (((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #107  

Well I can understand the frustration of trying to adopt a new life style at this time of year. It's hard to begin with and the holidays make it even tougher. But H when you get up in the mornings vowing to do better your on the right track. It a sign that your really trying to help yourself instead of doing nothing at all. So you just keep on making that vow in the morning and you'll start to see changes. After all we're all here to root you on.

rosey glad your back to curves. Just try not to over do right at first. Would not want you to reinjure yourself. Hope the sell of your ornaments goes well.

Joanne if your just lurking I've been wondering how your doing. Let us hear from you.

As for my self I've been really busy with Holiday prep, after all the long hours I kinda got caught at the last minute trying to pull it all together. But staying busy is helping me not focas so much on food. Not really taking any weight off right now. But not gaining, so I'm happy for that.

I have gotten a little bored with the low carb thing. So trying to maybe tweek this diet a little. Cut back on the fat, and add a few good carbs just to vary the foods a little more.

Well i've gotten a bit long today. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Deb
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #108  

Sorry I haven't been here for a few days.

My healthy eating honeymoon is over. The past 3 days I have been really really hungry and yet my brain tells me the less I eat the better.

It is really doing my head in.

I am sticking to around 1500 calories and exercising for 1 to 2 hours a day.
loofah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #109  

ok, another day, and another chance to do this right. I am fine in the morning, then at or after lunch, I just take that steep slope downhill. I wonder if someone knows the answer to this, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) where does non-fat frozen yogurt fall? That is my weakness, I love ice cream, but have substituted the yogurt instead.
hblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #110  

h don't know about frozenyogurt does it come low carb that is sugar free? that would be o'k' and it is not bad tasting.
lofah 1-2 chrs. of excercise WOW!! wish excercise was easier for me.
deb guess we are all trying to get ready for the holidays. do you suppose that counts as exercise?
hi rosey joanne donna.
rosetta hope you are having a good week off. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #111  
Walking by faith

Smile Hi Ladies

Yes, I have been lurking

I finally got my blood work back. My sugar was 111-1 point above normal range! I went for my GTT today-I should get the results back by Tuesday.

Sorry I haven't been in here much. Other health and family problems have kept me away from the computer lately. I'll be back-hopefully, with good news!

Hope everyone is doing well today!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:02 AM   #112  

Well here we are, another week and just 12 days to Christmas. I'm afraid I've been in the same boat as everyone else this last week. My will power is on the back burner. But still holding on to the weight I lost before Thanksgiving.

The good news is DH and I finally finished painting the house yesterday. But man my hand is paying for it today. And we are under a freeze warning for tonight. So it's just in time.

All I can say to everyone today is just keep hanging in there. The holidays is a tough time even for those of us who have been doing this for a while. But the end is in site and New Year resolutions are just around the corner.

Hope everyone has a good OP day. Check in later.
Deb
Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #113  

Cool

Hi, everyone. I've returned from a week of relaxing and trying not to eat. sigh. I had lost 3 more lbs. as of the Saturday before my vacation, making a total of 14 since the beginning of November. Alas, at last Saturday's weigh-in, I had gained back 2. And I really hadn't strayed much from the diet, keeping mostly around 1300-1500 calories, and at the worst still under 2000. I've been writing down everything I eat with the calorie count. I don't understand why I should have put on two lbs. Tonight I feel like eating something I've given up. I'm not too hungry, just ate an apple, but I want comfort food. I'll try to save the urge till tomorrow when our office has our Christmas lunch. The food is pre-ordered and there will be wine. I'll try not to pig out on bread and butter. Anyway, my blood sugar is still really low, for me. I should be happy about that. I had my A1c last week and will get the results on Thursday when I see the doc. I think I'm going to ask him if I can give Actos for awhile to see if I can lose more weight.
I've caught up on everybody's posts.
Deb, you seem in a better frame of mind. Yep, we're all trying to hang on until after the holiday minefield. Glad you finally finished that house painting. Did you ice your hand? that might help if its the tendonitis.
Loofah, hooray for you, exercising 2 hours a day. that should show some results and make you feel better. If that's making you hungry, try a low calorie snack and see if that helps.
H - Pat's right about checking for sugar, even in low fat frozen yogurt. Are you just wanting to eat in the afternoons, or is your energy flagging? You might try keeping low calorie snacks around at work, i.e., small apples, cup of soup, hard boiled eggs, etc. to eat when you're hungry. There's also small snackbars made especially for diabetics which provide energy and satisfy a sweet tooth. You can get them at Walgreen's. They also make meal replacement bars as well.
Joanne - congratulations on your blood sugar. You must be doing something right. I hope your family problems resolve themselves. In the meantime, we're here for you.
Pat - glad to hear from you. Hope you get all your chores and errands done without too much stress.
Rosey - thatagirl. Keep up those trips to Curves and baby that knee. You have the right attitude about the holiday temptations. Regarding those three supplements that aid diabetes, see drweil.com. He has information on them on his website and other information about natural ways to cope with diabetes.
Whew! Time to go buy my Lean Cuisine dinners.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 PM   #114  

Cool

H - forgot to mention, the name of the snackbars is Glucerna.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #115  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettastone
H - forgot to mention, the name of the snackbars is Glucerna.
I was just going to ask you what it was called. Doing ok. My dietician said the frozen yogurt was ok, but sometimes the fat free stuff has more sugar & you could be better off with full fat. I have been bringing my lunch & snacks with me. The nutritionist suggested I add more snacks because I leave my house at 6:30a & get home at 7:30p, with an hour on the train in the moning & evening (and that is when I am not in classes after work) so I am starving in the afternoon, early evening. I got some Pria bars which are made by Powerbar (I think) but I looked at the label & am a little concerned. Maybe I will try the others.
Keep on going everyone, and I want to thank you for your support & advice.
hblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #116  
Walking by faith

Wink Hi Ladies

I just got the results of my GTT-and it shows that I'm NOT diabetic! I know I'm still at risk because of my weight and medical history, but for now I'm just going to keep watching my carbs and portion sizes. I can't exercise yet, but when I get this cast off, I'll be going into rehab-HARD work! I'll still be dropping in to say hi. Thanks everyone just for being here !
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #117  

Cool

Well, I didn't make it straight to the Lean Cuisine last night. I got off the bus and happened to pass a Japanese Restaurant that has very good combo dinners. Well ... chicken & salmon teryaki, vegetable tempura. Yum. the tempura was the worst. At today's lunch I didn't eat any bread and actually left most of the mashed potatoes. Did eat the ice cream though. So it's back to Lean Cuisine tonight. Sigh.
H - You put in a long day. Glad you're working with a nutritionist. You'll come up with the solution to your hunger.
Joanne - way to go, girl! You're on the right track to prevent yourself from getting diabetes. Do keep posting here, we'll miss you if you don't.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #118  

Good morning First I'd like to tell Joanne I'm so happy for you. And Rosetta is right If I had done some thing years ago when I knew I was at risk, I would not be in this fix today. With My family history and My weight I knew the risk and chose to belive it would not happen to me. Well what a Dummy I was. Don't let that happen to you.

Rosetta your doing a great job with making the small scarifices. Sometimes thats the key to success.

Helen you are really doing a great job of making the change in lifestyle. And after awhile many things will become habit. And good habits will make for good health. You go girl.

Tonight me and the girls have our white elephant christmas with each other. We all get together at a local Mexican cafe. Eat and do the gift thing. I'm going to try and be really good all day to give myself a little breather tonight. Man I'm glad Christmas is almost done. I really need to get back on track.
Deb
Old 12-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #119  

Hi everyone..sorry i have not posted ive been busy with x-mas preperations..i love x-mas and have been shopping and shopping and baking and wrapping gifts..singing songs and enjoying my self and family..i have been going to curves and taking it easy and my knee is tolerating it ok..ive tried to stay on pts but know this is the season for excess and so pick my battles sorta speaking food wise i mean..after the holidays i will be more strict with myself..hope you are all enjoying the hoildays too.. try and do your best but dont beat your selfup if you indulge some..((((((hugs))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #120  

Cool

Hi, just like everyone else, I'm loosening up a bit. Some See's candy (chocolates) floated my way and I had to indulge, but limited my intake. (could eat a whole box ) Saw the doc today, my cholestorol is down and the good cholesterol is up. A1c was 6.3 which is in the control range. He's happy, I'm happy. Know I've put on a couple of pounds, but what can you do? The end is two weeks away so I'll just pick my way through the offerings and try to be careful.

Deb - How did the dinner go? Sounds like fun.
Rosey - You seem to be having a grand time and you have the right attitude about celebrating.
Cheerio!