Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #1  

Default DIETING WITH DIABETES - January 2008

Welcome to the dieting with Diabetes monthly support/chat thread! This is the place to check in regularly, share and receive support, and get to know one another.

We are glad you are here! If you are a newbie, please feel free to join right in!

Lets encourage one another all we can as we live day to day with this disease.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #2  

Hi everyone.. well its a new year for all of us..my dh and i are both dieting..something new for him..and it feels good to get back to the way i should be eating..altho i ate what i wanted and how much i wanted during the holidays i managed to keep my sl normal and as of today i have lost another # so not only did i maintain thru the holidays but actually lost and im so pleased with myself..our new year was fun.. we did fireworks and had pizza and the grkids and i played games..the grkids went home yesterday and i had along nap..grama was pooped..so where are all of you? hope u all had a great holiday ttfn ((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Hello....
Anyone dieting and also taking Byetta and Metformin?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #4  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Nah, just metformin here. Is Byetta helpful or does it keep you from losing weight? I know that metformin helps some, I think it helped me. But who knows. I know my diet helped me the most.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #5  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all,,Good for you Rosey,,I'm so proud of you maintaining over the holidays and the bs also,,wish I could say the same,,urr,,I have been off the byetta now for over 2 weeks and the wt just keeps going up,,,they are still fighting with the insurance company who still refuses to pay even a little on it,,I did start ww on the 2nd of jan,and am really giving it a shot,,my bs was 116 this morning the first good reading I have had in a long time ,,and without the byetta it has really been all over the place,,I am trying not to be depressed but it is hard to watch the scale go up and not be,,hopefully the ww will get me in check,,,

Snow here but beautiful,,,good to be back to work,,never thought I would say that,ha,,I had a hard time finding the new thread this morning,,anyone else?,,maybe thats where everyone else is ,,still looking,,was surprised to not see Meowee,,,hi to all the new people I saw,,,have a great day,,later,,Jeanne
Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #6  

Morning everyone..cold here today..sl was 94 this am..Jeanne, Meowee is on vacation visiting family for christmas..ty for the atta girl.. and wtg to you for trying ww's thats what i do but cut back on fats and carbs and of course portions..it works for me becuz i can choose what i eat and when my pts are used up i drink water..hello to all and hope your days is going great ttfn (((hugs))) rosey
Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #7  

Cool

Hi, all. Happy New Year! I had a quiet New Years but not very OP. Am trying to get back on track. Have put on way too much weight. And just when I thought it was safe to go back in to the office kitchen, somebody put a box of See's candies in there. I saw the endo yesterday. My A1c is 5.9 and holding steady, even though my a.m. bgl has been high. However, my cholesterol is up. So I'd better get myself together.
Rosey - good for you girl! With your hubby cooperating, you should lose even more weight.
Jeanne - Good luck with your insurance fight. They can be really nasty. Meowee is still in Toronto, I think, and can't get to a computer.
I can't take Byetta because I have gastroparesis, a side effect of diabetes. I suspect my insurer wouldn't pay for it anyway. Although I did get them to cover Actos.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #8  

Hey everyone! I am really having a time getting my bg under control. I am still taking Byetta, but it doesn't seem to do a thing for me anymore. Very frustrating. I am still trying to get my foot to heal so I can walk again. I think that will help.

Yes, MEOWEE is visiting family and does not have access to the computer. I believe she said she would be back on the fourth...which is tomorrow.

ROSEY: :wtg: That is wonderful! Losing over the holidays is quite a fete! I think I lost one, but it came back with a friend.

TIGER: I take Byetta and Metformin. I lost at first on the Byetta, but now it is just as huge a struggle as it was without it. I am also hypothyroid, which doesn't help! Are you on Byetta? Has it worked for weight loss for you?

Last edited by Ellen; 01-03-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Morning all.

Monet...yes I'm on Byetta...it seemed to help at first. I can't blame the drug...I didn't hold up my end of the deal. I'm trying to stay on program now.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

I'm BACK and boy did I ever miss all of you. The visit in Ontario was wonderful, but busy, busy, busy. Unfortunately I did not do as well as most of you with the BGL levels and definitely did not do as well as Rosey in the weight control department -- I'm starting January five pounds heavier than I started December -- hopefully I'll soon have my act back together. BGL is okay this morning at 6.3 (113); but it has been somewhat erratic over the past couple of weeks -- just like my eating.

The trip home form the airport was harrowing -- Blizzard conditions all the way. Took at least twice as long as normal to get from there to here. My luggage didn't make it until the next day because somebody neglected to read the name tag on the bag they decided to pick off the delivery belt. Think I'll stencil pictures of cats (or something) all over my bags to make them a little more distictive.

Speaking of . . . Cats are all fine and dandy although they did get a little destructive while I was gone. They didn't destroy anything that cannot be replaced . . . guess they got a little bored even though LouLou came to visit them every day. They were glad to see me home (I think -- who can really tell with cats ).

There's a pile of stuff in my e:mail in-box that I haven't read yet so will probably have some interesting little tidbits for reading to pass along to you a little later in the week. Sooo . . . stay tuned . . . take care . . . and I'll see you later.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #11  
creations

Welcome back Meowee.
I'm facing the New Year with a five pound gain also. Its my fault usually its my husband that brings the junk food in but I did for the holidays. Now I have to face the scale. He's been bugging me all morning to go to the store,but I know if we go more food that we don't need will be brought in.
Its a little warmer here today,had an inch of snow for the new year.

Take care.

Judy
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #12  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all,,good to see you back Meowee,,thanks for the information on ww program Rosey,to bad they don't have one just for us,,Rosetta,,wow your aic is great,,looks like a few of us are starting the new year with more wt..I don't feel so alone,,Monet sure hope your foot gets better,I was feeling the same way about the byetta but since I have stopped my bs are way more unstable.and wt harder to control,,although I wasn't losing anymore with it for a long time,,Tiger,,along with you I am so trying to stay on program,,good luck,,I just ordered all the new books,mine are several years old,,and hopefully the cost alone will help me to stay on track,,there is no meeting near me,,I sure wish there were because I really need the support in that area,,Creations,,I try hard not to take my hubby with me to the store,,he buys so much crap,,ha,,,well all have a great day and thanks for being here,,,my bs was 135 this morning,,Jeanne
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #13  

Hi everyone.. finnally had a quiet moment so her i am..my sl was up abit this am but the last few days have been sooo stressful for me..#1 we got a final bill from my dh back dr.. we got a big bill that will take us forever to pay and we did have insurance but becuz of some fine line crap(sry no other word would do) we got shafted,they refused to pay it, so i was upset over that,and #2 my mom is thru with her radiation treatments and has not been well and im trying to figure when i should go to see her and not go in to debt over it and the guilt is eating me up and # 3 my dh does not handle things well and is like an angry bear stomping around over all of the above..thats basically it and i have been sad all day sry for the venting..welcome back meowee u where missed to, jeanne and creations i dont like to take my dh shopping either..rosetta those are great numbers..monet hope the foot is better.. (((hugs))) for all and tomorrow will be better right? rosey
Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi JUDY . . . Sorry we are in the same boat . . .

Hi JEANNE . . .

Awwwww ROSEY . . . . . . things WILL get better, Chickie.

Oh BTW . . . to TIGER. So glad to have you joining us. I'll be looking forward to getting to know you better as time goes by.

And a big for everybody else.

Last edited by meowee; 01-04-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: almost forgot
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #15  

Well, this will sound weird, but I felt very encouraged today when I had a bad hypo episode! I was beginning to wonder if my pancreas had given up or something since my bg has been running high all the time lately. I am not sure if it was due to a big stress situation being over or what. Whatever, I hope tomorrow morning the levels will look better. But then, I forgot my Byetta tonight. duh!

I think my foot is a little better. I have taken to wearing highly padded shoes. It seems to be insulating the heel from shock which is helping.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Ellen; 01-04-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread