Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #91  

Cool

Hi everyone. Glad to see we all survived the holiday without too much damage. I indulged a little, but not too crazily. My Saturday WI showed I had maintained my 12 lb. loss. I'm back OP today. I'm working on getting some exercise in, slowly. One good thing -- my morning blood sugar the last couple of a.m.'s has been way down - that's a first for me. (Hope it doesn't mean my meter is going bad )
Rosey and Pat - Sounds like you both had fun holidays.
Deb - You sound rested. I'm sure some more poundage will fly off soon. You've been a real trooper!
Donna - don't get discouraged. I know it's easy to binge. I found myself heading that way over the holiday but I didn't have anything around to binge on so I was safe. You might want to try weight watchers, or just do a simple low calorie diet. Load up on vegs and protein and ration the bread and potatoes. Have you consulted with your doctor about the meds? Maybe he can change them. Keep taking your blood sugar, even when you know you've been binging, so you'll have something to compare it to when you've been good. And keep posting. We're here to support you.
Joanne - glad you're staying OP. Keep it up.
H - good for you that you're exercising. The longer you can stay off meds, the better off you are. I was off them 5 years ago, but now I'm back on. And they're expensive! The nutritionist may help you get on track in eating.
Loofah - welcome to our group. A 7 on the A1c is high here in the states, too. Mine has been hovering between 6 and 7. I've been good for a month and my daily sugars have gone down quite a bit. I do another test next week so I'm hoping for a big improvement. Diet and exercise are the keys to lowering blood sugar and losing weight. Not that its easy. What you might want to do is count calories and try to distribute them over the day so that you're eating several small meals instead of two or three big ones. This keeps the blood sugar even and cuts the cravings. Keep posting and let us know how're your doing.
Crimegirl, welcome. I know having diabetes is scary, but it's manageable. Glad you checked the American Diabetes Assn. website. That's a good place to start. We look forward to your posts.
Cyl, welcome to you, too. Keep us posted on how you're doing with sugar busters. I've given up desserts (except on Thanksgiving) which is a big thing for me, but I can't give up the sugar in my morning tea. (hate substitutes)Well, I think i've caught up with everybody. TTYA
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:46 AM   #92  

Just checking in real quick. It's been back to the daily grind and it's end of the year, always a hecktic time. still painting on the house but almost finished. And the shopping is almost done. Not doing so well OP the last couple of days. Letting the hustle and bustle get to me. So I've vowed to try and get a grip today. Wish me luck.
Deb
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #93  

Hi everyone..i kept loosing my posts yesterday and finally gave up our group is growing welcome all newbies..hope we can help..when i was first diagnosed i was in denial cried for days ate what i wanted and was scared to death that i had what killed my father then i got a grip and educated myself..my dr said they know so much more now than when my father was diagnosed and have better drugs to protect us..however we have to make acomitment to change out attitudes and lives if we want to be healthy..so i made small changes baby steps until they became habits as easy as breathing..you can do it we all have great support here and many good ideas..im trying like everyone else and if i slip up(as we are all human ) then just go back to what works..i went to curves on monday and between there and home i twisted my knee and am now hobbling around.. it was really sore yesterday but getting better..i dont plan to go back to curves till im sure it all healed have been finishing those ornaments and laying around alot with ice on my knee..managing to stay on pts as the grkids ate all the junk food and left overs..and trying to drink more water..hope you are all having a good day ((((((((((hugs)))))) for all rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #94  

Rosey sorry to hear about the knee But I have to say you summed it up better than I've ever heard. And thank you, this is exactly what I needed to hear today. Been having a really hard time sticking OP. I think I'm bored. And having all the Holiday fare around is not helping at all.

Just trying to hang in there right now and not mess up what I've already done.

Hope everyone has a good OP day.
Hugs.
deb
Old 12-02-2004, 03:48 PM   #95  

Hi everyone, it finally snowed a welcome sight after so much rain..it was so icy you took your life in your hands to walk anywhere i have not gone back to curves yet the knee is better just stiff today but dont want to push it..am glad deb that i could help you.. we all get in a funk at times..just have to look at the bigger picture and not lay a guilt trip on ourselves..i mess up all the time but just go back to what works..am working on x-mas cards today and listening to 50's 60's rock and roll..if my knee wasnt so stiff id get up and dance..love that rock and roll..i know im a nut ..their are so many of us now its hard to keep you all staight so if i goof please forgive..i used to be a blonde now theyre just senior moments ..have a great day everyone..do one nice thing for someone else today..even a smile to a stranger can impact their life in ways we dont know..(((((((hugs))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #96  

Cool

Howdy. Rosey -- can you do the twist, the pony, the watusi? I used to, but now I'd think I'd throw something out of whack. Every once in awhile I get out my 45s and revisit yesterday. I hope your knee gets better quickly. You've been doing so well at curves. Deb - Rosey's right. Just get back on that horse and try again. We're heading into the treacherous month where temptation is everywhere. The holiday treats have started arriving at my office. So far I've resisted, but if See's candy shows up, I'm in trouble. My goal for this month is to hold onto what I've already accomplished and then start in earnest again after the holidays. In the meantime, undulge a little but no binges. that said, I've managed to stay OP this week, but I'm headed for a week off next week and I love to eat lunch out, so that's going to be difficult.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #97  

Just what I needed today, all this positive reinforcement. I am doing pretty good with the small changes that the nutritionist gave me. Baby steps....I like it that way, it does not seem so overwhelming. At this point I am not so concerned about loosing weight, just getting my sugar down.
Rosey...good luck with the knee. I have had MANY orthopedic problems, if it is stiff & it has been 48 hours or more since the injury, try heat to help with the discomfort.
hblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #98  

Hello everyone, Meadowlark here, your comments really helped me this morning, I`m so mixed up if I get lowfat it has more sugar if I buy low carb it has more fat!!!!! and I really don`t know which diet to follow I keep my bs pretty low, A1c was 6.5 last summer and I have to go this Dec. and have it taken again, no medication yet but I am really confused!! Thanks for listening Patty
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:30 PM   #99  

Cool

Hi everyone. Since I'm taking next week off, I had to do a whole week's work in one day. Attorneys are like that. Anyway, H. glad you are making some progress. Meadow, I know it's very confusing on what to eat. Rather than try to buy special foods, work with normal foods. Eat a lot of veggies and a moderate amount of fresh fruit. When you eat bread and cereal, make it whole grain, since complex carbs are better for everyone, especially diabetics. Eat enough protein and a small amount of fats. Start slowly and you'll work something out.
I'm on vacation next week, which means I won't have access to a computer. I'll drop by if I get to Kinko's. Otherwise, have a good week and keep on truckin'.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #100  

Hi everyone back from the weekend. Well we had our christmas party Sat. night and did pretty well with the food, but maybe not so weel with the drinks. But I paid the price all day yesterday. Thank goodness I don't do that but once a year.

I'm really glad I read all the post this morning. It reminds me not to beat myself up and get with the program. Feeling much better today and looking forward to a good week.

H baby steps is the way to go. Your doing great. Trying to change to much at one time is just too over whelming. And leads to frustration.

Meadowlark I've always found freash veggies to be a real life saver. If you like to cook, your better off that buying the prepackaged stuff. Maybe we could all start swaping some reciepes. But there are also lots of good ones on this site and eleswhere on the net.

Rosetta girl your doing great at resisting the temptation. This is for you

Rosey hope the knee is doing better, and your dancing again soon.

Got to run. Hugs.
Deb
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #101  

Post hi everyone

sorry i have been gone so long. it is just a busy,busy time. have been shopping. trying to decorate and do some fill ins. mom's birthday and get the cat spayed next week, also dr. appt. next week. i am nervous. looks like thanksgiving went well. we can do christmas also !
rosey hope your knee is better,bad time of the yr. for that be careful on the ice.

patty just kerp trying you will find the right diet, sometimes we have to experiment to find the right thing for us.
h same advice slow and easy does
rosetta hope you have a good week off. you are doing so well.
deb looks like you are getting back to normal. good job on getting thru christmas party/
well keep on keeping on. we can do it. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:57 AM   #102  

I have to say I am feeling some what frusrated lately, and not doing so good with the diet, but I am starting every day with a new oath (not that that helps) It is just so hard to stay away from carbs when I love pasta & sugar...hahaha I have patients bringing in toffee, chocolates, and cookies with the holidays. All things that I just love. But here it is another day & I will try once again. It is hard to change all the things I have been doing forever. Well, I hope everypne has a great day!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #103  

h diabetes is frustrating and holidays are bad. just do your best, as for carbs you will not crave them as much after you are off them for awhile. have you tried whole wheat pasta that is a good carb? just keep trucking.
hi everyone . have a wonderful day. pat
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #104  

I am doing whole wheat everything & multi grain everything, but how good can it really be???
Old 12-08-2004, 08:03 PM   #105  

h all i know is that whole grains keep your bs at a more even keel. hope that helps. pat