Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #91  

Smile

Hi everyone.. im here mr ken..have been babysitting and blessing my house for company tonight..wtg on the walk..i got my exercise cleaning ..my sl was 114 this am..still to high for me but i give up on stressing over it.. soooooooo where is everyone else today?.. meowee hope you are having abetter day (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))) and hello to all..my sil and mil are coming for dinner.. the last time we were together with my sil was 7 yrs ago.. we have alot of catching up to do have a good day rosey
Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #92  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

I'm here, I'm here . . . and so is the sun and it even made it to 10C (50F) today . . . tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Woke up without the headache this morning . . . then went out and did too much and had to have another 'headache-escape-nap' by mid-afternoon. Hopefully things are more or less normal now. My BGL was 5.6 (101) this morning; so it's feeling a little better too.

Well, I didn't have to wait for the sun to cook my new blinds in the family room. Purrecious has decided they were put there solely for her amusement and she keeps pushing them in against the windows and watching them pop back out. Just noticed that she has managed to put her teeth through one of them already. As blinds go . . . they were cheap . . . but they make very expensive 'cat toys'.

Well . . . I'm off again . . . time to think about something for dinner . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking evening doing the good stuff . . . see you soon . . .
Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #93  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quick wave as it's Syrup Festival weekend and the village is quickly coming to life. The weather is wonderful for the event.

Slow start for me this morning as my BGL tested 2.8 or 50.4 first thing. I actually had to have some maple syrup which sure works to bring it up. Now I'm going to have a proper breakfast and then get on with my day. I'll do a few more tests during the day just in case it crashes again. Silly thing!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Spring has definitely arrived here in Eastern Ontario.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #94  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Talking

Ruth, it must be a bit scary waking up with levels that low! Do you take Met or something that made it that low or are you eating right and that did it? I'd be a bit freaked.

I did 3 miles on the WATP last night. This morning my BGL was 93! Something under 110, heck, under 100 in the morning. Hee. Scale says I at 159, Thursday it was 157.5 but I had been sick so that wasn't a true weight. I like seeing the 150's again though I hope to be past them and into the 140's by this time next week.

I am going to head out and do 2 laps at the park after some breakfast and coffee. I don't know if I'll be able to drag DH with me. After that it's chores inside and out since it's so nice out.

Hope you all have a very wonderful weekend

Missi
Old 04-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #95  
Onward and Downward

Good morning, gang . . .

Another gorgeous day shaping up in Atlantic Canada. . . woke up to deer in the backyard . . . three of them although only two show up in the pictures. Just love living out here 'in the sticks'.

My BGL was 5.6 again this morning but it is down to 4.7 now an hour after breakfast (101 to 85). Seems a little backward. Sometimes these things are beyond interpretation. . .

RUTH . . . Have a great time at the festival . . . hope you don't need any more 'medicinal maple syrup' . . . although 'needing' more could be enjoyable, too.

MISSY . . . Now that's a good reading. BTW, Metformin by itself is not supposed to put you in danger of a low. Glyburide, Actos, Insulin and other things of that type are what can cause dangerous hypo levels. Enjoy your walk.

Anyway, gang . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of weekend planned. See you all later . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0123.jpg (31.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0124.jpg (36.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #96  
Onward and Downward

Here are some tips from D:Life about keeping our Diabetes-generated garbage under control . . . it is Earth Day tomorrow . . .

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...earth_day.html . . .

How do you dispose of 'sharps' (lancets, syringes) and used test strips in your community? Around here they go into a special container and when it's full, it goes back to the pharmacy for disposal. Mine fills up faster now, because I put the cat's insulin syringes in there too. . .
Old 04-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #97  

Morning everyone..sunny and cold here today..my sl was 131 this am i ate one slice of pizza at 6pm and had a ww sherbert bar at 9(1 pt lo sugar) maybe im having lo's at night while im sleeping as befor i started back on ww sl were 100's in the am..cant figure it out..nothing on the agenda for today..hope you all are having agreat weekend.. neat pictures meowee.. we get moose in our yard sometimes.. heres a picture of my 2 dogs finally playing together..(((((((( ))))))))) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppy 291.jpg (25.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #98  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning, all . . .

Another gorgeous sunny day in Atlantic Canada. could do to be a bit warmer, but . . . heh . . . won't be long before I'm griping about the heat; so I'll just content myself with the sun for now. My BGL has been sitting fairly steadily around the 5.6 (101) level for the second day in a row and although I could stand it a little lower, I'm content with that too. Unfortunately, I've been having a few more calories than I really need the past few days, so I do need to get things back in control. Not really awful; just not really good either.

Love the dog picture, ROSEY . . . . . . a true Mutt and Jeff pair. Looks like they are getting along great.

Big and for everybody else . . . wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I hope it is fun . . . Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . see you soon . . .
Old 04-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #99  

Morning everyone..its cold here today..my sl was 114 this am so its coming down..question..what amount of carbs are diabetics suppose to have a day and per meal and how do you read labels for the sugar content..is 14 g of sugar for serving to much for me..whats recomended? i know this is basic stuff but i need a refesher..every morning i have one cup of my folgers mocha motion coffee it has 14 g of sugar..i dont want to give it up i used to have at least 2 cups if not 3 every moring but have cut back to one..also i have been on ww again now for 2 weeks today and i have lost a total of 12 #'s ..im so excited about that..sounds like u are feeling better meowee..and hope everyone else is having agood weekend(((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 04-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #100  
Onward and Downward

Gee ROSEY . . . wish I had a short answer for you . . . . . . afraid I don't . . .

From the point of view of raising BGL levels, one gram of carb is one gram of carb and will raise your BGL. The average serving of starch or fruit contains about 15 grams of useable carb which is the same as the sugar in your coffee. Sugar, of course, is very fast acting as compared to veggies, fruit, and grains which contain fibre that slows down the digestion rate of the carbs. When reading labels, don't forget that the entry for sugar means all sugars, including the ones that naturally occur in fruits and milk and other foods. Naturally occuring sugars are much easier on the BGL than added sucrose (table sugar) and other additives that end in -ose.

The total amount of carb you should be eating is a pretty personal thing; everybody is different. I try to keep my total carbs to about 50% of my calories or about 200 grams per day, spread as evenly as possible over the day. I also try for 40 grams of those carbs to be fibre so that lowers my useable/net carbs to about 160 grams. That works for me.

So, if we use me as an example, and I wanted to spread my 160 grams of net carb over 3 meals and 2 snacks, I would allocate about 40 to 45 of them to each of breakfast, lunch, and dinner and about 15 to each of two snacks. I would have used 15 net carbs (no fibre in that sugar) for my coffee; leaving about 25 to 30 for the rest of breakfast. The average piece of toast is 15; average 1/2 cup of cereal is 15; average cup of milk is 15; average piece of fruit is 15. Personally, I stay away from sugar so I can use my carb calories on things that I find more enjoyable. If I really wanted that flavoured coffee, I would experiment to see if I could duplicate the taste using regular coffee, some cocoa powder and some Splenda. But we each have our own priorities.

The 'Diabetes 101' class is now dismissed . . . hope it helped . . . have a great day.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #101  

Smile

Thanks meowee.. that answered it for me just fine..and i dont think i was eating enuf carbs..i was limiting my self to about 75 grams a day..no wonder i was hungry and had a headache..and as far as sugars i wont give up my folgers coffee mocha but limit to one cup and count it..i write everything down now that i eat( a ww tool i learned) and it sure helps me..i printed a form from dotties wt loss zone(ww web site) and use it so i know how many pts i have had for the day..have switched to butter spray,100% wwheat bread..more friuts and vegies,less snacking and portion control and etc.. small changes but i lost a big amount for 2 weeks so it was working in spite of being hungry and weird sl.. its a work in progress.. trial and error..i suppose we all have to figure out what works for ourselves..anyways thanks so much for the refresher rosey
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #102  

Smile

Morning.. where is everyone i have been up early with my "wild " fuzzy child..she was full of it this am and now is looking so innocent sound asleep on top of my foot..my sl was 110 this morning so its deff getting back to where it should be..not sure whats on my agenda for today..hope you all had agreat weekend (((hugs))) rosey
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #103  
Onward and Downward

Hi ROSEY . . . I'm here, too . . . but it is awfully quiet . . . especially for a Monday . . . never fear, they'll all show up sooner or later. Weather is so nice in most parts of North America, it's hard to blame them if they are all out there moving and shaking somewhere . . .
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Rosey and Meowee

I was interested in how you ate your carbs.
I was losing weight on 1600cals and my new doc put me on 1000 w/2 starchs a day following a 40 year old diet. I am a meat and potatos person.
My morning numbers are high. She changed my pill and am not at the highest level. as I was with the last one. I got an infection during this and felt like pulling my hair. I'm sure they will be better when I get my new cpap machine and go to the max on this pill. I take the Byetta shot too.
I have an hard time on 1000 cal. I got some Extend bars and eat one at bedtime-it helps but, can't afford more right now. My car was almost 1500 in repairs.
I get frustrated and blow it. How many cals do you eat? I lost 32 on 1600 but my BS #'s were too high.
Carol
Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #105  
Onward and Downward

Hi Carol . . . good to see you . . .

Well, obviously I'm not qualified to argue with your doctor, but . . . 1000 does seem extremely low . . . at your weight, I would certainly think that 1500 or 1600 would be better. Nobody, whether they just want to lose weight or if they have other medical conditions like we do can stick to a programme for long if they are hungry all the time.

I try for about 1650 total calories a day (about 1500 net - after deducting the fibre). However, I do not eat much starch. I tend to have 1 cup of cereal most mornings (2 starch servings) and then get the rest of my carbs from mostly legumes, vegetables and fruits. I probably only have bread about 1 or 2 meals per week and pasta or rice, or potato 1 or 2 meals per week, total. It was very hard at first, but I've gotten so I don't mind it too much because I know I am very 'starch-susceptible' too.

I really fill up on those non-starchy vegetables . . . I usually eat about 4 cups of salad and another 2 cups of other non-starchy veg every day . . . I try to keep my daily fruit to 2 or 3 servings, including my real weakness, Cool Whip, in that count as well. I also tend to eat a little more protein than might be considered average. As I mentioned before, I tend to aim for 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fat.

I take metformin, glyburide, actos and insulin . . . but have managed to cut everything by about 1/3 over the past year.

For me . . . the answer seems to be restricting those starches but definitely eating a fairly high level of total carbs. Of course, the same thing does not work for everyone. And, I am definitely not perfect either . . . this is just what I try to do . . .and I succeed more than I fail.

I would suggest you have a real heart to heart with your doctor about the difficulty of trying to sticking to so low a calorie level. Obviously the previous calorie level was working . . . just sounds to me like you need to change the kind of calories to try to get better blood glucose control. Good luck.

Last edited by meowee; 04-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Closed Thread