Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5.3

Hi Forzentusic!
I think you will enjoy the physical adjustments to eating Paleo/ Primal immediate once the dairy and grains are completely elemenated. starch mach used to gurgle and it was down right LOUD... embarrassing. My IBS is a thing of the past and I am only 20days eating strictly Paleo. I have also dropped one pant size. Not watching the scales... Just my measurements as I am building muscle.

I tried SB however, after I got through phase one I fell back into eating carbs and with a vengeance! Here's a very informative site to get more info and great recipes: marksdailyapple.com. His book, the Primal Plueprint is a real must have, IMO. Gook luck and feel great!

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 02-26-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Michelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #62  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozentusic View Post
but still am hooked on my lattes and the occasional greek yogurt or bit of cheese.
I thought giving up yogurt would be the hardest thing for me, but now that it's gone I don't really miss it. I think you'll find the positives of feeling as good as you do on paleo outweigh pretty much any food that you think you can't live without.

That said, my sister's mostly paleo and she still indulges in a sugar free vanilla latte with 2% milk about once a week, and it hasn't hurt her at all. She's not trying to lose weight, so for her it's just a lifestyle. I expect to be able to fit occasional indulgences like that into my plan once I'm done with my weight loss (though I'm an iced Americano girl, so lattes won't be my indulgence!)

Last edited by thistoo; 02-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

What's everyone's fav paleo sites? I love Nerdfitness, and like nomnompaleo, Marksdailyapple and paleodietlifestyle. The Stuffed Pork tenderloin on paleodietlifestyle is really good.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #64  

Hi Mandy! I really like marksdailyapple.com
Have all his books and is just easy for me to follow. Right one I don't feel like I am " following" a diet... Just a change a life's bad habits that CW has lead me to believe is good for me. As a recent BC survivor, I've a vested interest in living a pure and healthy lifestyle. Yes, you really can reprogram your gene expression!

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 02-28-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

my fave sites are:
marksdailyapple.com
paleomg.com
nomnompaleo.com
paleoparents.com
paleoplan.com
whole9life.com

My go-to source for recipes is Pinterest. I follow a whole load of paleo/primal boards!

Doing well on the grains, but still eating some cheese I think once it's out of the house it will be even easier. My 2yo son is obsessed with yogurt so I've been feeding it all to him.

Last edited by fozentusic; 02-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #66  

I would love to get some of those recipes from Pinterest, Fozentusic
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #67  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Finally hitting pretty close to 100% Paleo. Wasn't sure how well it was working for me in general since I'm doing so many different things to help improve my health. But over the last few days several people have mentioned how good my skin was looking. I have rosacea. Wasn't doing anything to deal with it or diminish it, but it seems the closer I get to purely Paleo, the better my skin looks. More even toned overall.

I'm also feeling pretty fabulous now. Loads of energy, blood sugars starting to look better (not perfect but lower by at least 20 pts. overall) and I'm feeling more refreshed in the mornings after a good night's sleep.

Wasn't finding weight loss with Paleo until I cut calories. Cutting calories while still eating grains, legumes and dairy wasn't really happening. All I could do was maintain.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Grey View Post
I would love to get some of those recipes from Pinterest, Fozentusic
Just go to pinterest.com and type paleo in the search bar. Prepare to be amazed!
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #69  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Hi all. My mom and I are starting paleo for March. Well be starting with a no meat start and then adding it back after 9 days.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #70  

Thanks, Fozentusic
@ Georgia, I noticed my energy level improving a few days ago, after a couple of weeks in the throws of "healing" from all the years of processed junk, diet drinks, grains, legumes and sugary stuff. Last night I actually slept 7 hours straight through the night. That's monumental for me. Like you, I had to do some tweeking of my eating habits. Now the scales are beginning to drop. Yes!
@Mizzthingaling, welcome! Primal/Paleo has been life changing for me. Never heard of starting eating Paleo without meat, though. All the best on your journey!

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 03-01-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #71  

Went to my Oncologist Appt. yesterday. Her scales read 5 lbs. Higher than mine. I KNEW it! Lol!

So now I am discouraged again about the weigh loss potential on this plan of eating. I am eating 100%, exercising daily( sometimes2xday), and watching my portions.
I am now 5 weeks into the program. I went through all the "healing" from my years of junk food eating and expected to see the lbs. Dropping by now.

I have had good success on SBD in past. But the weight came back. I think I learned a thing or two about myself and eating habits since then. I am considering going back to SBD. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 03-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #72  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I haven't found success at losing weight with this way of eating because I tended to eat the same amount of calories. I really believe weight loss is about cutting the calories. So any food plan that can help you stick with the food choices that are of benefit to your body and still helps you cut back calories is going to work.

Going Paleo really helped me cut out all the food that just wasn't doing anything for me. There are people who think giving up the occasional doughnut (or whatever food one feels they MUST still have) is crazy. I think it's crazy to feel entitled to have a doughnut. The doughnut is not evil. It's just a doughnut. If eating a doughnut doesn't lead to other uncontrolled indulgences, then fine, eat the doughnut! For my body, I just can't go there ever again.

I had tried doing Weight Watchers Paleo style and found it didn't work at all because I'm a big woman and their points system wasn't working for me. I had to find another way to manage the amount of food I'm eating. And for me, it's measuring my blood sugar. For some reason, if my blood sugar is over a certain number when I think I want to eat, I am able to tell myself to wait until it drops to a healthy range, under 100. Once I started doing that, I was able to control blood sugar better and I started to lose weight a little faster. Just discovered this a few days ago, so I'm still working out the bugs, but it helps me stay on track.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #73  

Like you, I can't indulge in that "one" doughnut.. I would eventually eat them all. I believe myself to be addicted to sugar. Just like an alcoholic mustn't have just "one" drink. But that is me. Right now, I've got a bag of dark chocolate mini's. That's all the sweets I have and yet when I do indulge, I find myself obsessing about them.
As far as 'weight loss', going to be gentler on myself. Want that instant gratification and it's only been 5 weeks. Took a while for my body to detox...oops, I mean "heal" from junk. So in time, I know the weight will come off. Btw, does anyone do IF? I take meds and have to take with food so wouldn't work for me. Personally think it a bit rad?

url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/][/url
Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #74  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

You eat daily on IF, but if you have to take your meds in the morning, for instance, you'd have to adjust a little. Shorter fasts or breakfast-to-breakfast might work, if you wanted to try it.

I did my first 24-hour fast yesterday and it was okay. I can't say I've had any results yet because I wasn't home to weigh myself this morning, but I wasn't unmanageably hungry during the actual fast. I feel like I ate a lot more in the evening than I normally would have, but I wasn't in my own house (I was dogsitting this weekend) and that made it harder because I didn't have *my* food, if that makes sense.

I didn't go off the rails, calorie-wise, but I ate some popcorn, which is obviously not paleo-friendly, and it was really salty, so I imagine I'm retaining water today. I wouldn't have eaten the popcorn if I was home, of course, because I don't keep popcorn in my house. It was probably a better choice than the chips and pretzels that were also in the house I was staying in.

Anyway, my point is that I'll have to watch myself in future to make sure I don't overcompensate after a fast day. My next scheduled 24-hour fast is on Wednesday. I'm interested to see how it'll go during a full day of work. I did work part of the day Saturday, so I think it'll be okay.

As for sugar addiction, I always assumed that was my problem as well, but now that I've given up wheat completely I find it a lot easier to control myself with chocolate in the house than it was before when I was eating 'healthy' grains. So maybe my problem was wheat sensitivity all along.

Last edited by thistoo; 03-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #75  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Grey View Post
Went to my Oncologist Appt. yesterday. Her scales read 5 lbs. Higher than mine. I KNEW it! Lol!

So now I am discouraged again about the weigh loss potential on this plan of eating. I am eating 100%, exercising daily( sometimes2xday), and watching my portions.
I am now 5 weeks into the program. I went through all the "healing" from my years of junk food eating and expected to see the lbs. Dropping by now.

I have had good success on SBD in past. But the weight came back. I think I learned a thing or two about myself and eating habits since then. I am considering going back to SBD. Any thoughts?

Why are you discouraged by the fact that your doctor's scale weighs you differently than your home scale? It doesn't change how much weight you've lost, AND just because the scale is in a doctor's office doesn't guarantee that the scale is more accurate. Both balance scales and digital scales can lose accuracy.

My doctor's office has two scales (very expensive digital ones with handrails) and there's about a 4 lb difference between the two scales. One weighs me about 2 lbs lighter than my home scale and the other about 2 lbs heavier (it's more like 1.5 and 2.5).

As to my thoughts on SBD, In my opinion, In my opinion, for weight loss, Paleo "trumps" SBD. If you have trouble losing on Paleo, there's a really good chance that you'll have even more trouble on SBD.

That's been my experience. I lose best on extremely low-carb such as Atkins induction, but I feel terrible on it. Then I tried South Beach. I felt better (than on Atkins) but after the first month, I stopped losing weight (even when I returned to Phase I). I even gained on SBD if I wasn't very careful with grains. That's what led me to Paleo.

I do pretty well on Paleo, but I still can overeat (especially the carby foods like fruit), so I had to add a "counting" method of some type. I found that I always need a counting method of some type, whether I'm trying to eat Atkins-style (which I do during PMS to help prevent water weight gain), South-Beach style (which I do when I am really craving grains - though I eat high-protein grains like wild rice and quinoa), or Paleo-style. To count, I use an exchange plan, but I can apply what I've learned from Atkins, South Beach, and the many paleo diet books I've read (my favorite is still the first, Neanderthin).

I also feel much, much better on Paleo than on SBD. My skin issues (rosacea, oily skin with a tendency to break out, seborrheic dermatitis, inflamation, flaking and sometimes worse) disappear when I'm not eating grains. My arthrits and fibromyalgia pain flares are less severe and less frequent, and my sinus issues improve also. On SBD the issues are better, but not nearly as much so as on Paleo. As for weight loss, even with the calorie (exchange) counting, I lose better on Paleo than on SBD.

Everyone is different, so maybe for some reason, you would do better on SBD, but that certainly hasn't been my experience. For me, Paleo is the plan that I feel the best physically on, and lose weight best on.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote