Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Hubby and I are starting primal tommorow. Won't weigh in for the first month to avoid any disappointment that could cause us to quit. Yay! Team effort!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #17  

Not weighing is a good idea. I'd have to have my husband hide the scale. I'm a lookyloo. I did a pretty strict 30 days last summer. The scale went down a pound a day and then barely budged the rest of the month. It was pretty discouraging. I felt like I was doing lots of work but with no paycheck.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #18  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm on the verge of putting my scale in the garage, for the exact reason you just stated, Wendy. I want to really focus on the effort for the next few months. I bought one of those fat calipers and a Myotape instead, and I'm blowing the dust off an old fitness/food journal to write it all down.

Admittedly, I'm not 100% Paleolithic. I tend to eat too much protein with some veggies, maybe 5 servings a day, but I struggle to get enough fiber. I do sprinkle chia seeds on my salads but during the winter, I like cooked veggies. I eat lots of spinach and kale, a little sweet potato and winter squas, but I get really big cravings every few days for grains. And it doesn't go away unless I cave to it. So I choose a controlled off-plan dip into grains with a slice or two of the Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread or a serving of Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. I'm trying to get over 30 gm of fiber a day but keep my carb level below 120 gm.

I've been tracking my macro percentages. I can't seem to get my fats below 50%. It's all healthy fats, my krill oil suppplements, olive oil, avocado, a handful of raw almonds. Not nearly how much fat I used to eat when cheese was really prevalent in my diet.

Still losing weight. Just very, very slowly!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #19  

Height: 5'0"

I have been staying pretty close to 100% (except some wine on Day 1 and some dark chocolate chips last night). Otherwise, no dairy, no grains, and no starchy veggies.

I've still been feeling lightheaded and dizzy at times. Also, my hunger gets CRAZY if I go too long between meals. It's possible I'm not eating enough fat, I guess.

I have dropped 4 pounds, but it's all water weight, since my clothes fit the same.

But I am committed to this for 30 days. I figure, even if I GAIN weight, it wouldn't be any worse of a diet than the serving bowls of spaghetti and loaf of texas toast that I was eating before. lol
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I got a bit dizzy lyesterday afternoon so ate 1/2 cup of sweet potato with butter and voila, felt WAY better!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #21  

Hi there!!! I am going to do my very very best. I did pretty much primal for the past five days and just had a sugar and flour major binge! I work at a cafe and just went crazy with free pastries. Now I actually feel a bit drunk, it's so strange!! So I'm going to try progress not perfection. This time I am going to try to go six day primal 100% and on the seventh day I can eat whatever I want. I'm going to keep checking in on any changes. Damn, I hope I don't have to go through a carb flu again, or the nausea etc. that happened over the past couple days.
purdumse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #22  
Renaissance Woman

I still fall into the carbs/dairy on occasion. And it's usually something I don't normally have. Like yesterday, I had such cravings for a Wendy's chocolate frosty. I got a small one and it was gone before I knew it. Then all I wanted was carbs! So I cooked whole wheat spaghetti and had a HUGE portion. And this morning, I realized a four-pound gain. Grrrrr! This morning, the carb craving is gone and I'm going back to my Paleo foods. Had a big cup of beef bone soup just now and am drinking lots of water. That seems to fix my carby cravings fairly well.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #23  

Red wine is my occasional indulgence. Due to social events, I drank two nights in a row... and a little more than usual. Woke up today feeling terrible! Don't even plan to step on the scale. When I first work up, the first thing I wanted was a coke (my typical hungover indulgence). I didn't have it, though. Just made some black tea and powered through it. I wonder, too, if my urge for a coke had something to do with my blood sugar.

Anyway, feel wretched today, but know if I make it through today and tomorrow, I should be back to feeling "normal."
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #24  

I think it's amazing that you can power through any cravings at all banananutmuffin, good on you! I seem to make a commitment to paleo and then cast it to the wayside anytime I feel like it. Today is day one again. Yesterday I was paleo until I passed a taco stand at one in the morning. I was probably just tired but I got a big chicken burrito with a flour tortilla and beans and ate the whole thing. I'm not going to lie, it was delicious. I'm back on today just finished a late breakfast/lunch of sugar snap peas and chicken breast cooked in coconut oil. So yummy. I'm going to power throuugh the rest of the day. I still get a little anxious that I'm going to have crazy cholesterol or something, maybe I should get some bloodwork done. Going from zero to sixty, mostly vegan to paleo is a bit of a mindf@#$. But I'm less hungry, that's for sure! Here's to another day of paleo, I'm gonna try to remember to book end myself and check in tomorrow saying I successful did ONE DAY of paleo!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #25  

And Geoblewis (is that the correct name? Forgetting...) Way to go with the bone soup, a much better choice! Amazing. I've got to take a page out of you and banananumuffins book and actually sit through a craving instead of immediately acting on it!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #26  

I've been taking the slower approach this time. I've done really well at not eating grains, especially wheat. The nice thing is that I haven't felt overwhelmed at quitting so many things at once. This week, I'm working at tapering off sugar and keeping dairy to a minimum.

I have fixings for taco salads tomorrow. It's the best way to get me to eat greens. i have a hard time eating salad in the winter.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #27  

Three nights of drinking in a row and I felt like crap! I guess the one craving I can't power through is my red wine craving. lol

Still, I've stuck to the paleo diet. It's hardest on (hungover) mornings, when my body seems to be screaming for carbs and sugar. Not sure if it's because of the carbs from the alcohol the night before, or just the after effects of alcohol. Probably a combo of both.

After my initial quick loss of water weight, the scale number seems to have stopped/stalled. I expected this, though. I don't have a lot to lose, and am guessing everything here on out will be SLOW moving. Just going to try and stick to it, and see how things look in another few weeks.

But boy, it's hard to stay motivated when my body doesn't seem to be changing.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #28  
Renaissance Woman

Quote:
I've got to take a page out of you and banananumuffins book and actually sit through a craving instead of immediately acting on it!
Purdumse, some days are easier than others. It's all a head game! The other day I had such a craving for fried food. I wanted it so badly! But I remembered how it didn't taste good at all the last time I blew through a KFC (used to be such a turn-on to go there!). I ended up in the parking lot next to a Long John Silver's and breathed in the aromas of the fried fish and hushpuppies until the feeling passed. Because really, I wasn't hungry and it was only a feeling. It was the first time I ever did that, but I wanted to win that one, just once.

Tonight, for dinner, I made stir-fried asparagus and grass-fed bison sirloin tips. It was delicious. But I wish asparagus and bison turned me on as much as KFC. Because then I would have been emotionally satisfied. As it is, I still want the KFC. And I hate Col. Sanders or whoever it was that really invented it and manipulated it so that I would have such huge cravings for it whenever I'm stressed, tired or pre-menstrual!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
But I wish asparagus and bison turned me on as much as KFC.
LOL! I had to laugh at this, because I know exactly what you mean and how you feel.

Have you seen the Paleo Comfort Food cookbook? It actually has a recipe for fried chicken that looks delicious. There's a biscuit recipe, too. Maybe not KFC, but perhaps an acceptable substitute.

I find myself not having too many bad cravings on this plan. Yeah, I probably could've dove face first into my kid's pizza today. And the other day I drove past a McDonald's and started salivating (just like Pavlov's dogs). But for the most part, the cravings are quick and manageable.

This has nothing to do with my willpower, though. I am, in general, a VERY weak willed person. I think it's simply because this time I want to drop the extra pounds more than I want the food.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #30  

I'm just new to the Paleo (got the primal blueprint book yesterday) and I'm looking to starting it after the weekend. Has anyone actually lost a lot of weight on it? I need to lose 100lbs and I'm looking for thinspiration. Xxxz
Staceyh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote