Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #1  

Default 52 yr old needs Help with low carb

My hubby and I have been low carb and sugar for 2 months. I have lost 3 pounds which is discouraging considering no bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. my cholesterol is down almost 30 points which is great. Could menopause be kicking my hind end??
Linka777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest counting calories for a couple weeks to see here you are at. You can still gain weight eating low carb if you eat too many calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I second what nelie said.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linka777 View Post
My hubby and I have been low carb and sugar for 2 months. I have lost 3 pounds which is discouraging considering no bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. my cholesterol is down almost 30 points which is great. Could menopause be kicking my hind end??
Are you following a specific plan? with a little bit more specific info like that and your ht & wt and how much you're trying to lose... I'm sure there are lots of people here who would be happy to help...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3fc, Linka!!

I agree that how many calories you eat matters, not just whether or not it's low carb. If you can post what you typically eat, including quantities, you will definitely get some practical detailed feedback.

I'll be 51 next month and low carb has been fantastic for me - I'll update my ticker tomorrow but I've lost over 25 lbs since January 6.

One thing I will add is that unlike many low carbers, my plan is low fat too, but I am THRILLED with my results.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linka777 View Post

I'll be 52 in August and have been doing Atkins almost 9 years now. Like you, I don't eat bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc. Are you & your husband doing any specific plan? The reason I'm asking is because a lot of people are very misinformed when it comes to low carb eating. They tend to believe that as long as they stay away from the "white foods", they are doing low carb. This isn't true.

Would you be willing to post a typical day's menu of what exactly you are eating & drinking?

You mentioned menopause, and yes, I believe that it certainly can play havoc with weight loss, not only on low carb but, on any weight loss plan.

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote