Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #166  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Tripswitch-

If by chance you have a Nook, I can lend you my copy of "Primal Blueprint" as I've finished reading it. However, you should be aware that although Mark Sisson has a back ground of marathon/triathalon training, his view is that this is over training and he advises short, intense workouts (weight lifting, sprinting) coupled with a few long walks or hikes or swims but not intense cardio like marathoning. So his book won't advise on how to train for stuff like that, except that he makes a point to say that when he deliberately scaled back on his training that he improved his performance in triathalons. He goes into it a bit. By his standards, I also overtrain since I do P90X.

The hardest part of paleo for me is meals on the go. I think actually it's probably the hardest part for most people. Snacks are easy enough- nuts and stuff are fine- but actual on-the-go meals aren't as easy. That's the part I struggle with.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #167  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

EagleRiverDee thanks so much... I actually just downloaded it to my iPad earlier this evening, but haven't gotten a chance to really get into yet... And actually long walks sound a lot more appealing to me right now than training for another marathon... but seriously, I'm definitely looking forward to getting his perspective... and from what I can gather so far the Cordain and Friel book has info on adapting paleo for endurance training... so I'll have that as a resource...

And ITA about meals on the go... I tend to eat out a lot, but fortunately there are more and more places here that are really embracing "paleo" friendly ingredients... But it definitely takes a bit more research and planning ahead on my part...

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to include in my lean protein choices... I was vegetarian for many years (and actually strict vegan for about 5 years) so I still just naturally gravitate towards that way of eating... But lately, I've been eating fresh fish and I've even been having some organic, free range, grass fed beef... Although if I'm going to continue to eat some meat on occasion I would like to look for wild game like venison or elk instead of beef... But as you can imagine, that's not something you come across at most places... so that's going to take some work on my part... But it will be a lot less work than what paleo man had to go through so I won't complain...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

hi, all! I was absolutely horrible over the holidays as far as eating!

I am back here on day 1 of Paleo-Primal. I do try to limit dairy, but I have some, for example a pinch of cheese in an omelet.

This is going to be a big challenge for me. I also want to cut down on my wine consumption. One day at a time!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 194/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehcat View Post
hi, all! I was absolutely horrible over the holidays as far as eating!

I am back here on day 1 of Paleo-Primal. I do try to limit dairy, but I have some, for example a pinch of cheese in an omelet.

This is going to be a big challenge for me. I also want to cut down on my wine consumption. One day at a time!
Hi, sounds like we have a similar problem... wine. I just restarted paleo on Sunday but I don't want to give up my evening red wine. I count it in my log but I have heard mixed info about whether the carbs in a glass of cab (there are about 6) breakdown in our body's the same as other food. I am going to try keeping my daily intake of carbs (including wine) below 65 gms, and if I don't lose I guess I will have cut it out or at least limit it to a few times a week.
bindiboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm with you ladies! I keep my carbs below 50g a day usually but a glass or two of red wine on the weekends is a big weakness for me.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #171  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I went completely off plan for about two weeks. I struggled all through December with Christmas parties and travel, so I just gave up the ghost. Well, I'm up ten pounds (mostly water I'm sure), my skin is broken out, and I was an hour late for work today because I couldn't pull myself out of bed!

I didn't realize how good I felt on plan until I went off plan and realized how bad I felt before!! This week is all about getting the crap out of my system and going back to primal!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #172  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
I didn't realize how good I felt on plan until I went off plan and realized how bad I felt before!! This week is all about getting the crap out of my system and going back to primal!
I'm feeling a bit tired as well after all this celebration, could you please share with us what kind of food made you go out of the plan?
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #173  
Starting over sucks.

Perogies. The perogies definitely got to me. And I did eat some sweets but not alot. And I had soda for the first time in ages.

I think part of the problem was the "it's christmas it won't be the same" mentality. I knew it would make me gain, and I was ok with that. But I'm not ok with how crappy I felt.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #174  
Heading Downtown...

Hi all... It's good to read everyone's posts here about their plans and keeping on track... For me, I've had to cut out a glass of wine... It didn't really make sense to me how a glass or two of wine with dinner a couple times of week could make any real difference, but it really did seem to stall my progress... And it seemed to be making a difference in my training as well... I really think, since the body basically treats alcohol like sugar that was what was causing the problem for me at least...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #175  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Hi all... It's good to read everyone's posts here about their plans and keeping on track... For me, I've had to cut out a glass of wine... It didn't really make sense to me how a glass or two of wine with dinner a couple times of week could make any real difference, but it really did seem to stall my progress... And it seemed to be making a difference in my training as well... I really think, since the body basically treats alcohol like sugar that was what was causing the problem for me at least...
Well...that just sucks
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #176  
Heading Downtown...

Sorry bindiboop... Didn't mean to be a downer here... From what I can see most people can include some alcohol in their paleo/primal plans with no problems at all... So I wouldn't worry about it...

I've actually just been trying to do some research on the whole thing now and I should edit my previous post about your body basically treating alcohol like sugar... which isn't really accurate since the actual biochemistry is a bit more complicated... But from my understanding there's a lot going on there that could have been why it seemed to be an issue for me... perhaps, it lowering blood sugar... or maybe the alcohol needing to be processed before fat burning could resume and in the meantime the calories I was consuming being stored as result... Who knows...???
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #177  

I get it Tripp, different foods (or wine) affect everybody differently. I have heard some paleo folks say a glass of wine is fine and others say no way. I will just have to experiment with it. Its all trial and error, I've learned that much
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #178  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Glad to see everyone getting back. I had a leeway off plan for the holidays as well. Now I am trying to get my body back to being energized. I had a salad today and it was really good. I did finally start with some things ahead. The only problem is now that my niece and nephew are here, it harder to keep extras. There is some chicken leftover so I will make some salads with that for the pull and go times.

If anyone finds to-go meals please share. I'm always looking for new recipes.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #179  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Does anyone else get gastric upset from coconut oil? I've been using it sporadically- mostly for stir-frying vegetables - and I swear I get heartburn and a rumbly gut from it the following day. It comes so highly recommended that I want to like it. The flavor is fine, it's just the aftermath I'm not fond of.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #180  
Starting over sucks.

It gives me diarrhea if I use more than about a teaspoon at a go. I mostly use it to grease pans now because it did bother me quite a bit.