Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Primal/Paleo in Oct/Nov

I've not been at 3FC for many weeks, but now I'm back and fully working the Whole30 plan. Okay, so it's only day 1, but I get points for enthusiasm!

Didn't see the Primal/Paleo group for this month so I thought I'd start it, even if I'm the only one here. It's so late into the month that I thought I'd include November as well.

So, day 1 on 100% Whole30 plan...doing great, but I'm bumping into the witching hours for me, which run from 3 pm to bedtime. Did just fine all day, staying out of the kitchen, but now I'm feeling the appetite stirring. And this is when I am most likely to eat something off plan while I'm making dinner.

I have some almonds I can nibble on while I put dinner together. Not sure what to do after dinner. Hoping I won't have any cravings for something sweet. But just in case, I have some Good Earth spice tea. It's hot, comforting and sweet from the cinnamon.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

Actually didn't get that hungry after dinner and I came in under budget on calories...but if I don't get to bed soon, I'm liable to make up the difference!

Still, very surprising at how not hungry I was all day. Don't know if that's because of strict adherance to the Paleo or because I didn't have to deal with my #1 stressor in my life, my mother. (I broke up with her yesterday!)

Last edited by geoblewis; 10-25-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

It's just after 3 and I already ate all my calories for the day! Not that I was so hungry. But I just didn't realize that bacon and spinach salad at Trader Joe's was worth 880 calories! When I looked on the label, I only checked the ingredients for soy (I have a sensitivity). I sat in the parking lot, between errands, and ate my lunch. So just now I got home and tracked what I ate. Good Lord!

I guess I'm only going to have water for dinner?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

I did much better today. I am really enjoying the Paleo Diet. I do not experience cravings when I eat like this! It feels very strange. I'm so accustomed to standing in the kitchen and wondering what carby thing I want to put some butter on. Haven't felt like that in over a week. Even talking about carbs and butter isn't holding any fascination for me.

I thought I was going to be craving cheese a lot more than I am.

I am feeling very, very good. In the morning I am very alert and ready for the day. Loads of energy. I am exercising regularly. I don't feel like I'm ageing now.

Hoping to keep making progress at cutting calories, maybe get back to intermittent fasting. This week I have cut calories to under 2000, but next I plan to cut to 1800 calories. Then 1600.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #5  
Candi

S/C/G: 307/304/200

Height: 6'0"

I love your determination. I don't know anything about the Paleo plan but I will check here everyday to be a point of motivation for you. I am watching carbs eating natural carbs cutting processed foods increasing protein and water intake. Hope today is just as good for your as the last few have been.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

Thank you, Candi! I am touched by your compassion and I greatly appreciate the vote of confidence.

The Paleo plan I'm currently on is simple and it goes like this:

I can eat - lean, wild-caught or grass-fed meat, organic non-starchy vegetables and fruit, nuts and seed, plus healthy fats from Paleo sources such as avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, rendered animal fats from approved sources, and minimally processed foods that adhere to the plan (like I can't go out and hunt for duck to make my own duck fat, but I can get good quality stuff at a local market or online).

I should avoid - grains, legumes, dairy, processed-foods, added sugar and salt.

What I am avoiding for personal health factors:

Anything with soy (I'm very sensitive to it), eating out (because I can't control the addition of soy), starcy vegetables (I'm a type 2 diabetic and have PCOS which makes me very carb-sensitive and insulin resistant).

I am also working the Intermittent Fasting method, with a six-hour eating window in the afternoon and early evening.

And this week, I am finding success! I had gotten down to 298 several months ago, then went through some serious stressful setbacks and ate my way through them, well off the aforementioned plan. My weight went back up to 310. That made me angry enough to cut some toxic people out of my life and work on the stressors. And as of this morning, I was back down to 299.

So for me, what works is the Paleo plan + losing the stress + daily exercise + cutting calories. Anything less helps me to feel better, but I just don't lose the weight. Gotta do it all!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 AM   #7  
Shrinking Southern belle

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'3

Hi,

My Trainer is putting me on a paleo plan since I'm on meds for hypothyroid,eating super super healthy and exercising like a beast but barely losing weight now.

It looks like you started to feel totally normal again by day 3, were you pretty dead those first 2 days or pretty normal?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 AM   #8  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Hello, going primal here. I was around the 3fc boards a lot over the summer and then life really took a toll on me. I'm getting back to being me again and right before I left off I was seriously researching primal and paleo. Along with going primal I've decided to completely axe wheat from my life. I just read Wheat Belly and thought I'd at least give it a try for a month and see how I feel. It can't hurt me that's for darn sure.

My day 1 was today.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

Tommienc, I was feeling really crappy before a lot of my effort to clean up the diet and lose weight, so I don't really have a specific place of reference, but since sticking to 100% Paleo as laid out by the Whole30 plan, which is about two weeks, I gradually started to feel better and better. I'd say within the first week of going completely off soy, dairy, sugar, grains and legumes, I was feeling the positive effects.

As for the weight loss, really, for me, the sweet spot seems to be eating Paleo, exercising at least 45 minutes of cardio a day, and cutting calories. And the cutting calories makes the most impact. The foods I choose to eat and the exercise are about feeling good, healthy, strong, alert and energetic. But cutting calories is the only thing that will help me to lose weight.

I had to find my sweet spot with the caloric intake too. I calculated my BMR for my current weight, about 2050 calories, and try to cut 500 calories from that. On days when I am particularly hungry, I make sure to never eat above my current BMR. And for me, I have a small protein breakfast, then skip eating until the early afternoon, then have a couple good meals with lots of vegetables (at least 6 servings total) and lean proteins, and I quit eating by 7 pm. This is intermittent fasting. My metabolism hasn't slowed at all from eating like this (how could it possibly get slower?!) and I feel free to have a more substantial meal when it means most to me, following my body's natural hunger patterns. (I just don't get hungry in the morning, but I eat one hard-cooked egg to get my motor running.)

Eating Paleo-style, for me, helps me with the cravings and appetite. I'm not experiencing as much inflammation of my joints so I'm moving around more freely. Since making my changes, I've no longer got water retention issues. I am awake and alert every morning.

It took me a long time to get here, like a couple years, just to find what works for me. Very recently, I have crossed over to menopause, so I'm sure new challenges will present.

Mango, happy to have you here too. I wish you success with the wheat challenge. I'm pretty much off wheat, but I haven't read that book and I'm curious what it has to say. I have a strong sensitivity to soy and couldn't believe how many things have that in them. And my friend who has Celiac's Disease tells me the same thing is true for wheat. I come from a long line of bread eaters! This one was very hard for me. If I keep it out of the house, I'm good. If I don't go out, I'm good. I can avoid buying it at the store. But it's baking weather now! Gonna have to try some baking with coconut and almond flour instead, I guess.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I'd like to join this group for this month. I bought Mark Sisson's book and plan to give this approach a good try.

I know that I feel better when I eat lower carb, and not in ketosis.

I exercise, lift heavy (especially for an old lady, as my trainer and I joke) and live a busy life. But, the weight is stubborn. I don't care so much about the scales but there is too much fat on my body for certain.

So, we'll see how I do.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #11  
No description available.

Hey all,
I'm here too. Intrigued by the Whole 30.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Howdy all. Haven't been around since surgery for breast cancer this past summer. I have continued on my "primal-ish" approach, meaning no grains, starch or added sugars (veggies and berries, you bet!), but I do allow dairy to help boost protein needs. I also watch calories because I know that I can overwhelm my body's ability to get rid of fat by consuming too many calories. Plus, there is enough evidence for me that limiting caloric intake is good for one's body and soul (maybe mind...)

Anyway, good to be back among like-minded folks.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #13  
Candi

S/C/G: 307/304/200

Height: 6'0"

Good Evening all today was a total pig out feast at work and yes I did indulge. I planned on it. However I ate less than I anticipated. I am back OP starting tomorrow. I ask going to a Bears game on 11/20 and I would love to be below 300. I know I should be able to get under 300 by then. I am concerned because I have no Turkish and the Dr is having a hard time finding the dose that is right for me. So I am cutting all white and watching the carbs down to the nothing. I will post as I go. Goodnight and Peace be with you.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

OK, today is the first day of really starting this approach.

I have my chicken breasts cooked, veggies and fruit available, etc.

I did well by not eating any Halloween treats last night. I had a glass of red wine, but didn't even drink it all.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

Yay, more Paleo-peeps!

I totally regret my Taco Bell run this evening. I was doing so well! It was a purely emotional decision. Have decided that I have the power to create my road to health and no one, especially not my toxic family members, get to take that from me!

Tejas, I love to lift heavy too! Feels good! I'm joining a body-building competition in January for the motivation (I already know I won't win...not even close to placing either!) and I'm excited to get to buy a bigger set of weights!

Sskar, my wish for you is a complete recovery! I'm with you on limiting the caloric intake. But I'm still getting used to not stuffing myself at dinner. Such a strong urge to keep eating until full. This is a real challenge for me.

Mango, what is the difference between primal and paleo? I've not read up on that one.

Candi, that's where I am, again. On the cusp of 300. One day I'm below, the next back up. I finally stopped weighing everyday. Friday I'm going to my cousin's birthday at a nightclub in SF. I'm nervous about it. I don't want to drink alcohol because it only leads me to regretful food choices! I can dance and party sober. I think.

Midwife, do you know about Robb Wolf? I just discovered him last week and today I noticed he's got free podcasts on itunes.

See you all soon again. Let's talk turkey. I need to figure out how to do a Paleo/vegan/traditionalist Thankgiving menu. Such culinary diversity in my crowd this year!
Closed Thread