Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

I have been off the band wagon for the last couple weeks. I am hoping to get back on this week. This weekend we went camping. My inlaws came & spent Sat nite in the camper with us & a few other friend came for dinner. 1 person looked at me & said youve lost weight & said I looked pretty good. I didnt think it was that noticable then when we returned the camper to the inlaws on Monday my SIL said the same thing. I did not mention to anyone that I was trying to loose or anything so it is realy nice when they notice on their own. I am hoping to to get back on track so it is more of a difference come the holidays. My neice is getting married in April so I am hoping to be in the lower 130s by then.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys, long weekend and I tend not to post on the weekend (my family time comes first!)

I wont be doing aa 2 wweek induction, but I give you guys all the kudos (hahahah first I posted KIDOS) in the world. I am sticking to Primal, I tend to stick to 50-65 carbs a day anyway and I am perfectly happy with that.

Does anyone else notice that cravings go up when you start trying to re-create things that are not on our plan? (like bread) I found that in the past so I just quit. Nothing would compare and I would just continue to think about the original item until I would give in 'just once' ......and then the cravings would be worse.

With the "becks" class that I am co-leading we create response cards for ourselves to go back to when we are tempted with things, or have negative talk in our head........My all time favorite is "Just Do It Anyway". Dont want to get up earlier in the morning, Just do it anyway. Dont want to take the time to chop veggies, just do it anyway. Would rather just get a burger instead of go home and cook, Just do it anyway........ It really does work. Its amazing how much the thoughts in our heads can justify bad behavior, OR reinforce good behavior!

Today IF 6pm last night till 6pm today
Dinner, salad with left over egg salad, chicken salad, cooked porkchops, cucumber and tomato, Strawberries with coconut milk

Last edited by Mikkijoe; 09-07-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #48  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Does anyone else notice that cravings go up when you start trying to re-create things that are not on our plan? (like bread) I found that in the past so I just quit. Nothing would compare and I would just continue to think about the original item until I would give in 'just once' ......and then the cravings would be worse.
I absolutely agree!! The more I eat off Paleo plan the more I crave carbs... Like today the weekend was off and now today I am OFF!! I did IF from 6pm last night till 10:30 this morning...

Food today:
  • Full fat yogurt, walnuts, peach, protein shake
  • Tuna burger, yello beans
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
With the "becks" class that I am co-leading we create response cards for ourselves to go back to when we are tempted with things, or have negative talk in our head........My all time favorite is "Just Do It Anyway". Dont want to get up earlier in the morning, Just do it anyway. Dont want to take the time to chop veggies, just do it anyway. Would rather just get a burger instead of go home and cook, Just do it anyway........ It really does work. Its amazing how much the thoughts in our heads can justify bad behavior, OR reinforce good behavior!
That was pretty much my mantra at lunch today. I wanted to eat out, but decided to go to the store instead. After shopping, I was so hungry and still wanted to stop and get something quick. I didn't want to cook my lunch, but I did it anyway. I had leftover steak, stir-fried with some coconut oil, broccoli, shallots, ginger & wheat free tamari sauce. It was pretty good.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Yay! So psyched to have so many joining a mini-challenge - 2 weeks of VLC primal. Today can be day 1 or 2, I guess. I had alcohol for the first time in two weeks on Sun night - one glass red wine. Then last night I had another glass and a half. But my eating was really good yesterday and today.

Today (1st day of school AND I had night school until 7:30-ugh) I had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch was leftover grassfed steak shish-k-bob (yum), snack was 1/2 avocado and some melted cheese. Dinner will likely be a green salad and some pork loin.

Because of night school and just getting home, today will be an off day of exercise.

I would love to crack 140 in a few weeks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Well, I've already missed a day.

Worked yesterday and then went out to dinner. We've had BScN students this summer and they are done and headed back to school. Lovely girls and great nurses already!
But no exercise for me yesterday.

I'm ploughing through GCBC. As long as I'm in a quiet place and can really pay attention ... it's fascinating and I'm actually enjoying it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post

I'm ploughing through GCBC. As long as I'm in a quiet place and can really pay attention ... it's fascinating and I'm actually enjoying it.
I agree -- it's fascinating and very enlightening... just a lot to take in!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 287/224/149

Height: 5' 5"

I'm "officially" starting the two-week challenge today. What I am doing:
• Exercising 6 days per week;
• eating VLC primal;
• taking my vitamins every day;
• doing my back exercises every day;
• getting 15 minutes of daily sun when possible.

Last edited by CJZee; 09-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #54  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

I agree on trying to recreate things like "bread" leads to craving the real thing. I am doing this more for my husband and SIL than myself as I am not a big bread eater. I love bruschetta with homegrown basil and tomatoes. I haven't found a french bread or country bread primal recipe so if and when I ever make brushetta again, I think I will use a sprouted grain bread or the real thing.

My SIL is a huge sandwich man, puts everything between two pieces of bread. My 40 year-old son wraps everything in a tortilla. He is not overweight and does not like much in the way of meat, he is going to be a tougher sell.

Bottom line for us is that, if a little oopsie roll will keep someone on track longer, I am all for it. My husband had a habit of eating his meals with a slice of bread almost to wash things down. I remember my dad was the same way. We always had a plate of "wonder" bread on the table. Yikes!!

Yesterday, I ate carefully but great. 23 carbs, I would've done better but I had to test taste the sandwich bread I made from elanaspantry site. I used half of the sweetener as her rolls were too sweet for my taste buds. The bread was OK. I am going to have my husband test it out this am toasted as reviewers say it is better that way.

On MDA, I have set up a blog where I am going to do the Julie and Julia thing. I am waiting for my "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook to come so I can start moving through the book and try to primalize the recipes. I think what I am going to find is that real French cooking with all the sauces and methods and ingredients used (except for the bread/desserts) is pretty darn primal. The French paradox, (low heart disease rates while eating full fat sources) may be explained....

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-08-2010 at 09:50 AM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Has anyone seen an interview with Dr. Weil on Larry King Live where he praises Gary Taubes GCBC book? THe guests are Gary Taubes vs. Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil does a guess spot. Very interesting............

I think GCBC is a very impressive book. I need to get a copy and really read it again so I speak intelligently to those that think I'm crazy for eating Primal. Like many of you, I don't even tell people but I'd like to convince my husband and he would never have the time to read the book so I'm going to have to do a Cliff Notes version for him.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #56  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

wildviolets...

I always wanted to ask you what does "for a short time Lytham UK" describe?

I've wanted to live abroad and we even had our eye on San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. Lots of gringos retiring there until recently when they experienced their first kidnapping for ransom and murder!!

So I will need to live vicariously through others
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

I think I joined this website when we were living in the UK. My husband had a 1 year assignment over there and it was wonderful. I was scared at first because I've never lived anywhere other than PA so it was a big thing for me but we got to travel alot and made some wonderful memories. Not sure if my son will remember it because he was only 3 but we talk about it alot.

I fantasize sometimes that when we retire, my dh will take an asignment or project in Italy, France or Spain. I think that would be great. But now that my son is in school I think I'd like to just stay where we are and just tag along on trips every once in awhile.

Thanks for asking! I've never been to Mexico....it's on my list though!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviolets View Post
Has anyone seen an interview with Dr. Weil on Larry King Live where he praises Gary Taubes GCBC book? THe guests are Gary Taubes vs. Dr. Oz and Dr. Weil does a guess spot. Very interesting............

I would LOVE to see that. I wonder if it can be found online.

One of my besties is a doc who completed Dr. Weil's Integrative Program Studies (2 year program for doctors) in Arizona - it's the only program of its kind and intensity. He has long been a proponent of healthy carbs, but he does give a blurb on the cover of GCBC, and my friend, a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic (VERY rare at age 40) is pretty much primal now. Just all very interesting stuff... Glad to see Weil shifting with new information on all the studies (and skewing of the studies) coming to light.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #59  

p.s. Why do you think Oz is so resistent to low carb? Really want to see it!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 287/224/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I would LOVE to see that. I wonder if it can be found online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQGRJqGQTs

And here is a transcript of the entire show so you have to skip through to where Taubes/Oz/and Weil talk:
http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0710/19/lkl.01.html

I am actually seeing a physician to studied with Dr. Weil and he tells me he is "far beyond" where Weil is. I'm going to have another session with him at the end of the month after he sees my bloodwork. He's supposed to use a combination of M.D. conventional and alternative therapies.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote