Old 09-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #196  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
My SIL is going through the same thing. He cannot afford the food but his mother sends the stuff to him. I read some of the labels and saw the artificial stuff plus a lot of soy. My advice to him was to do what ever it takes to get the weight off. But then he needs to PLAN his transition and I think primal fits very well as you must agree.

Hope to see you here often and good-luck with the 30 pounds of fat. That's me too.

Are you really 6'2"??

God I wish....
Thanks Sandy. I definitely agree that the PB way of eating is the way to go. As for your SIL, if he's willing to venture into 3fatchicks, the IP forum has a thread with suggestions of alternative equivalent products and food that cost far less than the official products.

Ideal Protein has a transitioning strategy to maintenance. Phase 2 adds more real food, and Phase 3 is intended to stimulate the pancreas in a controlled way. I'll probably follow that as designed, though minimizing grains intake in Phase 3, and then move to PB WoE. I feel so good not having sugar, wheat and other grains. It's hard to imagine how much better I'll feel without the soy and the artificial sweeteners. One step at a time.

Well, I'm not exactly 6'2", I'm short of that by a 1/4". Like everything else, being this height has its advantages and disadvantages.

Let's go melt the last 30!

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 09-26-2010 at 06:39 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #197  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Default Transitioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Ideal Protein has a transitioning strategy to maintenance. Phase 2 adds more real food, and Phase 3 is intended to stimulate the pancreas in a controlled way. I'll probably follow that as designed, though minimizing grains intake in Phase 3, and then move to PB WoE. I feel so good not having sugar, wheat and other grains. It's hard to imagine how much better I'll fee without the soy and the artificial sweeteners. One step at a time.
It is great that there is a built-in transition plan. I did not realize this. (MIL lecturing SIL )

I am also reading "The Perfect Diet". Very close to primal but it allows, even encourages, some starches like taro, sweet and WHITE potatoes, and white rice (not brown). Written by a couple astro-physicist types with lots of references, I am looking for this for my hubby (he doesn't need to lose weight) as he is feeling very deprived without bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Even with these small inclusions, the PD way of eating is way better than SAD.

I know that Mark on MDA has evolved and will probably continue to find out new things and have new suggestions. I will just have to see if I gain weight or have tummy aches adding in anything like rice.

But that is way down the road. Here's to getting those last 30 pounds off

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Sandy,
I used to have a bad pain above my bellybutton and it would hurt for a few days and then go away. I used to take pepcid complete twice a day for stomach problems for almost a year. I also had a endoscope and they didn't find anything.

Eating this way (PB) has GREATLY helped my migraines and stomach problems. I can't tell you the last time I've taken medicine for my stomach. And my migraines are much better, except for this last time and around my period.

I went to a naturopath last year who was great but expensive. She said that though I might not be allergic to many foods (like grains) I may have an intolerance to them and it weakens my immune system if i eat them too much. I think when I was in England I ate tons of grains and it just wreaked havoc on my system.

I would write more but my head really hurts. I hope it's gone tomorrow. NO MORE DRIED FRUIT AND NUTS!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #199  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I can't believe I never saw this thread until now. I sometimes hang out on the Atkins boards as I started with whole foods Atkins last year. I would look for primal or paleo threads (even checked on the Whole Foods Lifestyle forum) and wondered why there weren't any paleo or primal folks posting. Now I've found you guys!

I hope there is another thread for next month so I can join in.

p.s. I'm also over on MDA too.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Mizski!

I'm not sure there is a perfect place for us. What do you guys think? Are we OK in carb counters or do you want to start our October thread some place else?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #201  
Last Timer

Default Thread location

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post

I'm not sure there is a perfect place for us. What do you guys think? Are we OK in carb counters or do you want to start our October thread some place else?
Welcome Mizski!

I think carb counters is still OK. You are automagically reducing carbs when you give up wheat. And if you are ever tempted to have some bread, the carbs you would need to count may persuade you from taking that first bite. But then I might be one of the few that counts darn near everything.

I am OK with moving but still hope for Bob to come back and I wouldn't want him to not be able to find us. I know, I should just get on with my life LOL.

What a sap I am for information....

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-26-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,

I agree with Sandy - I'm fine with our thread here, and I hope Bob returns. Have been wondering about him for a while now and hoping he is well. I haven't been chatting much this week (too busy), but it looks like lots of new folks and also lots of successes, so WELCOME and CONGRATS!

My eating and exercise have both been so-so this week. I had several nights of getting into the dark chocolate before bed (again), and my goal this week is to limit that. Although I don't have much of a sweet tooth since going primal, it seems to be another story during TOM. I also had a bad week sleep-wise and that definitely can affect my food choices too. Caught up on sleep this weekend and also got a good does of sunshine (vit D!!!!) yesterday, so I'm looking forward to a good primal week!

One aspect I need to work on is "play." Mark talks about it in the book, of course, and he's had several posts about it on MDA. My husband and I both teach, and once school starts, we tend to get very stuck in the work mode and weekends become time to catch up on sleep (much needed) but also to catch up on the tiresome necessities of life -- laundry, getting groceries, and cleaning. We are also finishing a mini remodel of two rooms, and DH is **** bent to finish. We spent all day yesterday working -- me cleaning and him painting. Ugh. I did relax a little outside and got in a good walk. Of course we feel better having all of this done, but I am feeling a strong need for more "play" and am realizing I need to PLAN this to make it happen.

So, next weekend we are having a local wine festival and some of our friends have expressed interest in going. I am going to make it happen by confirming with them today and buying the advance tickets. A few glasses of wine won't hurt me and being out on a beautiful fall day will do wonders for me... I'm looking forward to it!

What are you doing for "play" these days?

Happy primal Sunday to all!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #203  

Hey everyone! I've just recently learned about this WOE and it's basically what I'm doing...but I've just called it low-carb. I'm now giving up cheese and dairy altogether. Basically, I eat meats and veggies with a little fruit, nuts, and seeds. I've read alot online about this WOE and I really wanna start following it to a "T" now...or as close as I can.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2008 but have had it much longer...just took a smart doc to figure it out. I've been gluten free now since March.

I've read where some of you believe you have leaky gut syndrome. I believe I do too and that the RA and leaky gut are connected. I had "IBS" which basically was a gluten intolerance.

I'm excited about joining this group
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM   #204  

Hi,all!
After having cut grains while doing Atkins 15 years ago, I became wheat intolerant when I tried to add some back in. One of the effects that I noticed was joint pain, along with sinus problems.
I also react to peanuts but differently. I would feel as if I had eaten glass and could trace their path through my system from the pain.
I've wondered if this could be related to leaky gut syndrome. Then there is the rumor that if you have leaky gut, dairy becomes an issue.
All good reasons to try Primal.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Hi,all!
After having cut grains while doing Atkins 15 years ago, I became wheat intolerant when I tried to add some back in. One of the effects that I noticed was joint pain, along with sinus problems.
I also react to peanuts but differently. I would feel as if I had eaten glass and could trace their path through my system from the pain.
I've wondered if this could be related to leaky gut syndrome. Then there is the rumor that if you have leaky gut, dairy becomes an issue.
All good reasons to try Primal.
It does sound like leaky gut syndrome. When reading about the paleo diet, everything says no peanuts as they are a bean? who knew? Dairy is very inflammatory to the gut. I did Atkins back in 2003 and felt great and lost weight but of course, stopped doing it and gained the weight back.

There is interesting info about leaky gut online...it makes a lot of sense!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome LeslieLou!

Wow...lots of posts to read while I was out camping! Great!!

Not a lot of time to post,but just wanted to check in. Still had a great week but I found the carb cravings were really strong. Not too sure if it was my body saying ``ok...we`ve had enough of this, we want carbs`` or if it was a minor yeast die-off (I`m hoping for that!) Anyway...mind,body and soul are co-operating much better today.

I`ll be back tomorrow for weigh-in...after my shower of course.
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I did some reading about leaking gut and am begining to understand something an old friend told me about her daughter (celiac, 300+ pounds) many years ago.
A naturopathy told her to eat only meat and vegetables (2000 cals) and take childrens liquid vitamins in double or triple doses.
Also, I went to hear a speaker once ... natural bodybuilder lady cop She talked a lot about digestive aids (pancreatin) especially for folks who'd had their gall bladders removed and anyone over forty. Apparently there are many reasons for malabsorption problems and a lot of people could be suffering from marginal cases. Ya know? Just enough to impair feeling really really good.

If you think of all the reasons our innards could be tired and a little worn ... kind makes sense.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hey there, looks like everyone was busy over the weekend on here!

Welcome to all the newbies.

Response to keeping the thread here or moving it...I think it is important to be consistant. But I do wish we were able to have our own sub-forum, seems like we should qualify. But I see thier point to want us to be larger.

Leaky Gut, lacto-issues, etc: Do some research on fermented foods, there are MANY benefits, and Im not just talking about yogurt here. Check out the article on MDA here or also search for articles on 'fermented vegetables for digestion' I have a friend who has many allergies and issues, she is about as thick as a small town phone book, but is always looking for the perfect diet--for physical comfort, not for weight loss. She is doing Body Ecology and doing well. She makes jars of fermented vegs and eats a little with every meal and it is really helping her. Something worth looking into. I think I am going to go get myself a jar of Kimchee, I love that stuff---but I have never had it without the rice.

Any experience with fermented foods and helping out the good bacteria? Following the PB we are getting rid of alot of the bad yeasts, so we are already taking a huge step just in that, but I do see there is room for improvement.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #209  
Last Timer

I cannot believe it. As you all know I am fixated on getting into the 150s. I weighed myself nude this am - 160.2. I went to my doctor's appt and took off only my sandals - 160.0. I was so excited thinking that since I peed and didn't have anything by mouth that I could weigh again two hours later and get under the 160 plateau. So instead of stopping to get my first cup of coffee for the morning, I raced home, stripped off my clothes just knowing that I would see onefiftyderland. Nope - 160.2.

I am never eating again........

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-27-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Just go take a shower!

seriously tho, that sucks!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote