2. coconut oil and yogurt with walnuts
  3. chicken, yello beans, cauliflower
  4. chicken wings
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post

ETA: OH, quick question: is there any use for ground flaxseed or psyllium husks in a primal diet? If so, i'll keep the tubs I have. If not, I'll toss 'em.
I still use my ground flax and add it to my yogurt... I finished off the psyllium and didn't buy more because I just prefer ground flax ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #18  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Can NOT get myself in gear here at work today!!!

Went off to Amazon and bought a copy of "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren--it looked like the best bodyweight exercise book out there. I see it mentioned on MDA. And I am SO tired of weights per se.

I'll give a book report here once I'm into it. Shouldn't be long--I love that overnight shipping!

spanks
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Went off to Amazon and bought a copy of "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren--it looked like the best bodyweight exercise book out there. I see it mentioned on MDA. And I am SO tired of weights per se.
Please, do!! It looks like something I'd be interested in. I know that I can look up exercises to do, but I'd love to have them all in one place of reference.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #20  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

My daughter pulled me away from my work at 8:30 am and we took an hour long walk with my grandson. I do not eat before my walk so after we let the little one play in the park, it was 11 am and lunch time almost.

So for today:
Black coffee, fresh sausage (5oz) and the best, juiciest peach ever. I really was not at all hungry but fast day is tomorrow.
Sunflower seeds and Blackberries
Salmon and creamed spinach for supper with almond flour drop biscuits...Yummy!!!! So good that I had to have a small glass of Riesling (I poached the salmon in the wine as well).

MY husband was orgasmic (heaven forbid). Said that if this meal was in a restaurant, he would send compliments to the chef.

Edit: The biscuits are from Elana's cookbook and they were actually too sweet. I will cut back on the sweetener next time. My husband loved them but I am so sensitive to sweetness that it was too much for me. I melted butter and used instead of grapeseed oil and it worked just find. While researching agave, I found coconut nectar (sap from the coconut tree), supposed to be low glycemic and not taste like coconut. Will have to try and find it at Whole Foods. I think Coconut Secret brand also has the sap evaporated into crystals much like sugar.

I know I need to eat more but it is so weird that I am not hungry.

I just received elanaspantry.com's cookbook and I am anxious to try some of the breads and crackers using almond flour. I do miss these. I cannot imagine that they will taste good. I'll let you all know.

I am confused about grapeseed oil and agave. She uses both alot because she does not want to use dairy or sugar. I do not think MDA likes either. MikkiJoe, I think you use agave, do you notice a spike in insulin at all? Also, I know grapeseed oil is big in the IP world.

I would rather use butter but then maybe her recipes won't turn out.

Ummmmm.....

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

I do use agave now and then, in small quantities. Probably twice a week. It is from a plant BUT it is highly processed, just as much as corn syrup really, so I am sure it is not the best choice
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #22  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Anyone else joining the 30 day challenge on MDA? Sounds like he is giving away all kinds of things! I would love to win the $100 gift card for grass fed beef, and I would REALLY like to win a pair of Vibrams, I want them BAD!

Yesterday, for some reason, I was hungry. I wonder why, becasue that is not a normal feeling lateley. Then I kinda think it is partly PMS, and partly the weather change. We have really slipped into fall. It is still beautiful here during the day, sunny, 80's and up. But night and mornings we have that crisp feeling, which I really like. BUT I wonder if that triggers my foraging activities.

Yesterday at work at 10:30am I had 2 chicken and sun dried tomato sausages with a bag of steamed green beans (grocery store run) THEN had some mixed nuts and a square of chocoate
At night at 9pm I had left over london broil with 2 eggs on top, AND a bowl of berries and a square of choc. THEN 2 all beef dogs and a slice of munster cheese.
Yesterday was a crazy day, I worked, had a class to teach at noon and one immediatly after work, (AND had a self imposed audit in the middle of the day--what was I thinking?) got home at 6:50 and my daughter needed last minute school supplies, so we went out and got those and did not get home till almost 9pm! I dont like days like that!

Today: tea right now, soon to be 2 chic sausages and some fresh from the farm cottage cheese.
Tonight? dunno, have no idea what they took out for dinner, or if they did at all
What exactly is the MDA challenge? Is it just to be super primal? I am not exercising primally yet so I wonder if it includes workout requirements...
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Food yesterday:

Roasted veggies
Cottage cheese
Cheddar cheese (I know I eat too much cheese)
fresh raspberries
Fage yogurt
Baked chicken
A peach
Fresh Mozzarella
Tomato, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

MDA challenge is something Mark puts out every now and then it looks like. Yes it does include workouts, but I wont be participating 100% in those. The reason I am doing it is to keep me motivated and participate up to the level of where I am right now--or push me a little further. PLUS I would love to win $100 of grass fed beef etc. Looks like tons of give aways available.

SO, for what I ate yesterday:
Chick sausage and cottage cheese 10am
frozen bag of veg and 5 pieces of bacon 3pm
Dinner out---mistake! Took it as my 20%, made the best choices, but I am ALL kinds of puffy and sluggish this morning! I ordered a seafood dish that had shrimp, scallops, octopus and mushrooms sauteed in garlic and butter.....on plan right? And I only ate about 4 bites of the rice, not a huge deal right? And I had about 8 corn chips with salsa. So the combination between the carbs, the corn, and the oil the cooked the chips in..........boy oh boy, I feel like a puffer fish out of water!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Where's Claire? I've failed you my dear. I missed a day of exercising How's about 13/14 days
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #26  
Last Timer

Well, again I fasted only 22 hours instead of my usual 36 and did not do my regular walk (went shopping at a new farmers market type store).

I lost .6 but not enough to get me to 163. I am going to my new low-carb doc on my birthday 9/27 Dr. Gerber, for my annual physical. He has been featured on local TV and is listed as an in the know MD on LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com, Jimmy Moore's site. So.....I want to weigh close to what I did last year, 161. Last year, I lost weight eating whole foods but was not restricting carbs per say. I am really hoping my numbers, especially inflammation and CRP are down. So then I will maybe be able to surmise that carbs are the culprit and not cholesterol that I eat or make.

After cutting my fast short I ate:
3!!!! glasses of wine, some parmesan crisps (only cheese kinda salty) and uncured ham chunk (3 oz)
Later a taco salad

I think the wine made me go crazy except that going crazy means only 19 grams of carbs for the day. Isn't it strange that my definition of losing control just means breaking a fast earlier than normal as opposed to eating 3 snickers in one day

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-04-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #27  
Last Timer

Hi "Redflame"

Noticed you on MDA. I haven't posted much. My ID is primalmaven.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Newbie here, I have lost 13 lbs and now am kinda looking to do this plan...
I need to lose another 40 lbs!

I have been non meats for some months, but I love fish, especially, seared Ahi!!

Let's Unite!!!

Last edited by chewy; 09-05-2010 at 12:35 AM.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default Brown created a monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
... and it'll take you to a new page with allllll your quotes. SO convenient. Message boards that don't have multi-quote make me sad.
WOOT!

[QUOTE=sparky1946;3462344]
It would be neat to be a 63 year old body builder Heck yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Starting a new focus group today that I will be co-leading, based on the Becks Diet Solution book about Cognitive Therapy. We were going to have one group for 6 weeks, but some wanted the noon hour and some wanted eveings, so we are doing both! Oh boy!
This sounds very cool - where do you do this, Mikki?

[QUOTE=wendyland;3462644] I lost about 8 lbs. I'm rarely craving sweets anymore.
I'm super impressed - 8lbs rocks!

[QUOTE=Ilene;3463496]Well I'll be, I've been here almost 10 years and never even used the "post reply" button, I always use the "Quick Reply " or "Go Advance" ... I think you may have created a monster, see below Hee, hee... that's two of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I treat bacon grease (uncured anyway) like gold...
I do too, and I never in MILLION years thought I would be cooking hamburgers (and whatever) in leftover bacon grease! In my fat phobia years (the last couple decades), you couldn't have paid me to do that. We had burgers last night cooked in bacon grease. Trader Joe's has grassfed organic ground beef -yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I know I need to eat more but it is so weird that I am not hungry. In Good Calories, Bad Calories Taubes writes a lot about studies comparing starvation diets (very low calorie - the standard for much of 20th cent in obesity treatment) vs. low carb -- interestingly on low carb the patients could eat plenty (sometimes 3K calories a day) but still lost and did not suffer hunger. Even more interestingly, even when they ate low carb AND lowered calories they WERE STILL NOT HUNGRY. Hence, I guess, the tendency and ease of low carbers to fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Newbie here, I have lost 13 lbs and now am kinda looking to do this plan...
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Where's Claire? I've failed you my dear. I missed a day of exercising How's about 13/14 days
Here I am, and I must say 13 out of 14 rocks! I am at the end of my 2 week "induction" -- I'm fairly pleased, though with school starting and STRESS racheting up, I did have some "cheats" -- on about 4 different days I had a handful of macademia nuts. I had dark chocolate (small piece) 3 nights. I ate a couple strawberries. I did manage to forgo alcohol completely (!!). Nuts and fruit are not supposed to be consumed on induction. Friday I had a dr. appt at 3:30 in afternoon, so my weigh in was after breakfast, lunch, and lots of water - I was 146 exactly , which was 10 lbs. lighter than my last visit in May. I'm pleased with that and know that it's more like 12lb. if I weigh in morning. Hoping to hit 140 by end of month.

The challenge for me now is being back at work and being utterly and totally surrounded by JUNK, sugar, more JUNK, and more SUGAR -- carb explosion I have 2 colleagues now who are low carbers and we are trying to stick together.

I plan to continue this induction way of eating (VLC) for another week or two if anyone wants to join me it would be great.

Have a primal day!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Pardon my glitches in my mass quoting attempts... it'll take some practice.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote