OMG - I forgot about taking a shower!!!

Yeah
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

I am going to make this recipe soon:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312

Low low carb and really good, maybe add pumpkin for the fall?
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #213  

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post
I did some reading about leaking gut and am begining to understand something an old friend told me about her daughter (celiac, 300+ pounds) many years ago.
A naturopathy told her to eat only meat and vegetables (2000 cals) and take childrens liquid vitamins in double or triple doses.
Also, I went to hear a speaker once ... natural bodybuilder lady cop She talked a lot about digestive aids (pancreatin) especially for folks who'd had their gall bladders removed and anyone over forty. Apparently there are many reasons for malabsorption problems and a lot of people could be suffering from marginal cases. Ya know? Just enough to impair feeling really really good.

If you think of all the reasons our innards could be tired and a little worn ... kind makes sense.
A good probiotic helps too. I'm deficient in calcium and vitamin D so I have to take those supplements. My gallbladder was removed when I was 30 :P I think this WOE is a very natural way and it will help heal the gut and also help to lose the weight
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #214  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I cannot believe it. As you all know I am fixated on getting into the 150s. I weighed myself nude this am - 160.2. I went to my doctor's appt and took off only my sandals - 160.0. I was so excited thinking that since I peed and didn't have anything by mouth that I could weigh again two hours later and get under the 160 plateau. So instead of stopping to get my first cup of coffee for the morning, I raced home, stripped off my clothes just knowing that I would see onefiftyderland. Nope - 160.2.

I am never eating again........
You are right there! You will be in the 150s in no time ! How exciting!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Ok, am I alone here or do other people subtract fiber out of their total carb count? For me I count a carb as a carb, but what does everyone else do. I ask because I read through the recipe for the cheesecake and see that she does subtract, as many recipes I have seen. But for PB, I think he promotes a carb is a carb
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #216  
Ilene the Bean

Mikkie, for me a carb is a carb ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #217  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Default MikkiJoe etal,

I also count a carb as a carb. However when I go to 20 vlc like we did in the challenge, I "notice" how many of the carbs are fiber and try for 20 or less net carbs. Otherwise I would almost be just eating meat and fats.

I do not think PB recognizes net carbs. (I don't think Mark wants us counting anything that hard LOL). I just think it is important to not kid yourself. If my husband asks how many carbs I had today, I would say the whole number and add that x number were fiber grams, for what ever that is worth. I just pay attention and tell myself the truth.

My SIL said he is not losing on primal and is going back to IP. When my daughter asked if he is cheating, he reluctantly admitted a few times. Well I think if you cannot be honest with yourself and looking to blame something, you are doomed to fail. Do not blame a WOE if you are not eating that way. If you have a slip, acknowledge it and try to do better. I put ever morsel that I eat into myplate on livestrong. Sometimes I do not like what I see but it doesn't do any good to not acknowledge the food.

So I think the net carb/total carb thing is just a way of allowing yourself a few more bites. And that is OK...
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm pretty simple ... a carb is a carb ... can't be doin' anything too complicated
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Carb is a carb is a carb for me too. Just eating the veggie carbs usually brings me to 50-79ish and that's good for me.

Sandy...I feel your pain about NOT hitting 159.something. I am UP a bloody pound and I had another perfect week last week. I even managed to INCREASE my walking and exercise and still up a pound! What I think happened to me is my muscle mass increased more than the fat mass decreased. I spent a good part of last week and this week digging up 60 feet of perennials so it was all heavy lifting etc.
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #220  

How long did the SIL give to Primal? It takes many people 4-6 weeks of careful tracking and adjusting every 2 weeks or so to make sure they find their sweet spot
Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #221  

So I am just having 2 meals today, because that is all I am hungry for, but even then I dont even have 30 carbs,

Lunch, pork chops and roasted veggiesin pesto left over from dinner
Dinner, Large taco salad,, romaine, salsa, sour cream, cheese, burger, cucumber

1064 cals, 73 fat (63%) 76 protien (29%) and 24 carbs (8%)

I certainly have room to have something else, but dont think I will want it. I have to have 3 meals to get enough carbs in, even when I have berries. Am I missing something???? How does my menu vary that different than people who are struggling to be under 75 or 100 grms carbs?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #222  
Last Timer

Default sil

He switched over to primal from IP about 6 weeks ago. I know he did not give Primal enough time but I think he was not totally following it. He refuses to keep track of anything as he says he does not have time. He is in a high stress job.

I read somewhere that folks who keep track lose a lot more weight than those that try to wing it. I do not remember the percentages. I think with him, it would do a world of good if he had to document the fast food burger he succumbed to on the way home from work. You cannot change what you do not acknowledge. It is too easy to try to fool yourself or even forget what you haphazardly popped into your mouth.

I worry about his future and his kids going without a father down the road...
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #223  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Ok, am I alone here or do other people subtract fiber out of their total carb count? For me I count a carb as a carb, but what does everyone else do. *snip* But for PB, I think he promotes a carb is a carb
I switched from whole foods Atkins to PB this summer and my brain is still trying to translate to total carbs. I can understand and even agree with Atkins' net carb approach to foods like veggies. But using the net carbs in other foods meant I was eating a lot more than I thought. IMO using net carbs for fruits is a slippery slope as while they do have fiber, some also have a great deal of sugars. And I always believed that the folks using those Atkins bars were fooling themselves with that net carb "magic" on the product label (i.e., total carbs: 19 minus 5g fiber = 3g net carbs).

I count total carbs now and find it so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I read somewhere that folks who keep track lose a lot more weight than those that try to wing it. I do not remember the percentages. I think with him, it would do a world of good if he had to document the fast food burger he succumbed to on the way home from work. You cannot change what you do not acknowledge. It is too easy to try to fool yourself or even forget what you haphazardly popped into your mouth.
I think it's very important to track your foods especially in the beginning to actually see in black and white what you are consuming. A typical fast food meal has a shocking amount of carbs as does much of the SAD. Seeing those actual numbers IMO helps to illustrate how bad that way of eating is.

When switching from the SAD to PB (or paleo or even Atkins), tracking is important to make sure your fats are high enough and that the carbs are in the proper range and the proteins are not too high. Many people have the low cal/low fat mentality ingrained and think eating a lot of meat is sufficient. That is not the way to go. We need the veggies and we need the fats.

I don't know what to suggest to make food tracking more palatable to him. Some find it easier to use a paper notebook while others prefer online trackers (I use FitDay PC). It's all about making a commitment to change which many are not willing to do though.

Have others noticed that with PB it is not as crucial to count every carb every day? My diet now is mostly fats, fresh proteins and veg. Even if I have a lot of veg, my carbs are pretty low. I do check in when I add nuts or fruits though.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I've got a tale to tell ya ... If you've ever gotten to goal weight with CW you'll remember all the folks who told you you looked too thin or gaunt or old in the face.
I had to renew my CPR last night. This involves crawling around on the floor. I wore yoga pants.
Because my newly pregnant coworker was going to be there, I took a uniform that's getting kinda baggy on me. It's one of those ones that has an empire waist and would give K's belly some room to grow.
Another coworker asked how small I was now. I calmly replied "About 130". She gasped and declared that I looked about 110.
Isn't that better than having people assume that you're dying at 125?

I haven't tracked for a while again. I'm sure I'd be shocked by how much my coconut milk, coconut oil and cream adds up to. I've even taken a can of coconut milk to work and keep it in the lounge fridge.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #225  
Last Timer

I had a blood glucose test yesterday and I am scared. Anyone here have diabetes?