Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My alarm must be broken! I did set it last night!

So, with little time for recreation Is protein the one that corresponds to exercise? If you are active 1 gm per lb of LBM. If you are not vigorously active, less?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #77  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

G'Morning All,

Susan B: I think I just read it can be 0.7 to 1 gram protein per pound of body weight...

Got the book yesterday and read about a third of it. Delighted that I can at least have berries and such. I get gagged out on Atkins for the lack of a twinge of fruit.

Breakfast has been a 2-egg frittata with cheese, tomatoes, and bacon bits [real bacon that is]. I must confess I'm still drinking a lot of Crystal Light, but am getting plenty of fluids that way.

Nearly impossible to find anything "organic' around here but I'll worry about that later. 80% rule and all that.

Since I started the job I'm in, I've been harassed by a co-worker who is constantly after me about my eating habits. Sabotage, comments to the whole group about my eating 'issues', etc. This month we finally have a new manager who is dedicatedly "Low Carb" and who looks fabulous, and also refuses the bakery stuff and candy she pushes on us. It's kind of taken the pressure off me--what a relief!

Today's lunch might get a little desperate. I brought my own turkey and have to go hunting for some kind of salad...

So. A good day to all,

Spanks

Last edited by spanky; 07-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #78  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesennin View Post
What is the deal on fats? I really need to break down the percentages because I'm kind of clueless--I need to think of things in terms of tablespoons, lol. What are the percentages to aim for?
There really aren't exact percentages to aim for. Diets have those. This is a sustainable lifestyle with plenty of food freedom.

One of the nice things about Primal Blueprint is the various approaches that are acceptable. Protein and Carbs have targeted levels then the rest of your calories should come from healthy fats.

So if you have 100 pounds of lean body mass, you should get between 70 to 100 grams of protein a day, but this can be balanced over several days with the same results.

Next is carbs and there's three levels all acceptable. 100 - 150 grams of carb a day for very active types and those maintaining. 50-100 grams of carb for steady weight loss. Less than 50 for obesity and rapid weight loss.

So in my case, obese losing rapidly, I try to get my protein with beef and fish, I keep the carbs low with very low carb veggies, a lot of them, and everything else comes from fats. I will take coconut oil by the tablespoon. I cook with it, with butter, with olive oil. I eat fatty meats like bacon and sausage. Eggs are nice combo of protein and fat. I consume the fattiest of dairy, full fat yogurt, cheeses, cream (whipped too), creme fresh, butter and cultured butter. And coconut milk has been a fun discovery. Dr. Harris at Panu drinks heavy cream to get his fat intake up. He's 5-11 and a 155 pounds.

There's a little more. The bulk of your diet, think of bulk as appearance here, should be veggies. We need the anti-oxidants. The bulk of your calories will come from fats. You want to eat as "clean" as you can comfortably afford. Free range chicken and eggs. Organic pork. Pastured beef. Wild caught fish. Organic produce and dairy.

So start by picking your carb category. From there the other things should fall in place, but it is a real mental effort for some of us (me included) to eat so much saturated fat after years of being told it was the bad guy. For what it's worth, I do not count any of this stuff anymore. It took me a couple weeks to understand approximately how much carb was in what. I'm keeping my carbs under 50 and eating what I want, remembering not to be scared of fats. Yesterday I made crackers out of cheese and ate guacomole. I put toasted walnuts and strawberries in full fat yogurt and filled up.

My next post will make this all much easier. There is a better way to look at it.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #79  
hunt and gatherer

That's good news Spanky. I've had to cultivate support and it was uncomfortable for awhile, but my results have shut up the rabble and even won a couple converts. Don't sweat the "clean" organic thing that much. Take it from me, an organic tomato marktet grower, there isn't that much difference in many crops. Just wash all your veggies. I fill a bowl with a 6-1 vinegar solution and everything gets a quick soak, a little brushing/rubbing, and a cold rinse. This has been tested to remove more pesticide than any method and youo won't taste vinegar. Organic crops get sprayed with toxic organic chemicals anyway. I would focus my budget on organic meat and dairy first. It's harder to purify that stuff.

You have the book, so you know the Crystal Light is a no no. I'll just leave it at that. Well, I might ask if that is really the best use of your 20%?

Personally, I like a little chocolate here and there.

My mom and kid guzzle that stuff... hehe
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #80  
hunt and gatherer

Susan, that is a good question. I know carbs have calculations based on activity and working out, but I thought the protein #s were stable -- .7 to 1g for ea lb of LBM?

I've been reading about lowering protein for diabetes protection (insulin surges). Sheesh, someday I may just eat animal fats and veggies and be healthy! Hah!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I feel like a wimp but I'm going to get on the elliptical in my AC'd livingroom. I tried going outside but yuck!

Good food day today! I fried eggs last evening and ate two of them for breakfast.
Susan, were those eggs fried on the sidewalk??!! The heat wave here in Virginia is OUTRAGEOUS! Today is the first little break.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #82  
hunt and gatherer

Here's 3 things to stop doing:

1. Eating grains
even whole grains are poison
2. Eating refined sugars
this is a huge list of products
3. Eating refined oils
this is a bigger list!

Don't do those three and you are basically primal! No need for obsessing over counting calories and tracking macros. Comnpletely conquer those three and eat what remains somewhat balanced and you will see results.

Here's ten things you should try to do:

1. Eat lots of animals and plants.
think of plants as those you can eat raw - no grains
2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
the science is very solid behind this - take a long leisurely walk
3. Lift heavy things.
one a week keeps the muscles strong and healthy
4. Run really fast every once in a while.
I do this in the pool. It stokes fat burning hormones
5. Get lots of sleep.
not so easy for me, but try
6. Play.
what a change in my spirit to start playing more
7. Get some sunlight every day.
when the sun it out, you should visit it
8. Avoid trauma.
good advice here
9. Avoid poisonous things.
this includes lots of food stuff
10. Use your mind.
read GCBC, then move to the next

Reading material on topic is highly motivational for me.

Also I live in the Mojave Desert. My little town is known as the Gateway to Death Valley. You all don't know heat. It will be 110+ here for weeks very soon. We consider 100 degrees to be quite pleasant. It was 103 at 9am today.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post

Also I live in the Mojave Desert. My little town is known as the Gateway to Death Valley. You all don't know heat. It will be 110+ here for weeks very soon. We consider 100 degrees to be quite pleasant. It was 103 at 9am today.
Bob, thanks for the primal reminders - I agree - very motivating and inspiring to read up on primal lifestyle.

And... UGH...I'm melting just reading your temps. I imagine are Canadians are sweating a bit just reading those temps too!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #84  
hunt and gatherer

We actually have an egg frying contest every year. A used car dealer does it. You cook on the hoods of cars. First one with a solid yolk wins a tank of gas. It doesn't take long.

I have a question. What supplements if any is everyone taking?

I'm not a fan of supplements, but I keep reading this or that and adding one. I'll list mine later. I'll be on the road for a couple hours.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

My weight may not be coming off as fast as most but I have noticed a difference in my clothes. Last summer I bought new shorts, this summer they are falling off. Today I have an older pair of shorts on & I think they might fit better then when I had bought them. I had a shirt on that I didnt think looked too bad on me then I saw a picture of me in the same shirt & could see a difference in it.

Today I took the kids to the museum. We ate lunch there cuz I knew they would fall a sleep on the way home. I got a turkey wrap for my lunch, did not sneak any frys or chips & drank water. The wrap was not very good & am now hoping that I will not pay too much for eating it.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #86  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Bob; I've been doing some research on supplements as well, keep reading about people on MDA taking them. I'm thinking of starting a fish oil, vitamin D, magnesium. I'm in the process of finding where I want to get them from and if I want to do a krill oil or standard fish oil. What are your thoughts?

Tyma- sounds fun, at least you were inside! You couldv'e done much worse than a turkey wrap, something like that would effect me less than sugar, sugar is my colons worst enemy!TMI!

I am waiting to go jogging outside until about 7ish. I'm trying to train some for a 5K that is in my town on Aug 14th, it will be hot, so I've got to start jogging outside to climatize my body, lots and lots of water will be on hand tonight! Nevermind that...its still 98, hitting the treadmill!

Last edited by koceank29; 07-08-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add on
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #87  
hunt and gatherer

Hi Kara,

Fish oil supplementing is probably the one I read about the most and the worst one to ask me about. No doubt the standard american diet is way too high in omega 6 fats and fish oil seems to balance that nicely, but once gone primal we eliminate the most vile offenders of omega 6 overload (the refined oils). So we naturally solve much of the problem. I do supplement omega 3 after large grain fed beefy dinners. I have eliminated chicken only to make room for fish, which has been enjoyable for me. Swordfish last night was beyond excellent. I got lucky. It was "reduced for quick sale", which can be bad news for fish. I eat a lot of fish and probably pop three low dose omega 3s a week. Some primals obsess about the 3:6 ratio. I am still trying to decide if it is necessary.

I do have a recipe for those who love seafood that I call my mega omega 3 salad. I try to make it every weekend. I am the only here who likes it. It is quite fishy, but that's the point afterall. I'll post the recipe if anyone here is sure they love fishy. I'm talking traditional Caesar's dressing with anchovies and it's topped with tuna or salmon or both.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #88  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Red face

I want the recipe Bob! Me and fish are best friends, probably due to growing up around water. When I lived in Hong Kong we would pick out just caught fish from holding tanks to feast on! So pass along any fishy goodness!

So I made it to the gym, jogged 1 mile then did some deadlifts and bent rows. It can be so intimidating there when all the muscle heads are in there at night bonding over their metal weights...but I squeezed my way in and did my thing, I never would have done that 6 months ago, even though I could lift then I didn't have the security. I'm starting to think Primal has changed me more than I realized, all that carb fogginess is opening new sides to myself. I also had some great news related to my business today, its a booming! I'm very excited about life right now and I owe a lot of it to the energy Primal living has given back to me.

Have a great night!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

My husband researched fish oil for a project at school and came to the conclusion that it like most likely very important. Also that at least a 2:1 ratio is important.

There is a huge fish oil study that will be completed and out in about five years, which will give us a definitive answer about using fish oil as a supplement.

I have been reading here but have been very low energy, not knowing what to say.

I have been in ketosis for ten days now. I just came out of it r/t feeling dizzy and sweaty at work. I didn't take my blood sugar, but I did drink 4oz oj and within ten minutes I felt MUCH better.

Despite my ten days of ketosis, I haven't lost a single pound! Gotta love my metabolism. Takes a licking and keeps on fighting me tooth and nail for every single ounce of fat.

I'm not giving up, though. I had to eat what I could during my shift to give myself enough energy, but I;m getting right back into primal. I didn't even stray very far! Just a few ounces of potato and a few ounces of OJ. Man, cheating used to be a big fat cake and pint of ice cream.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Omega 3 was the first supplement I added back into my primal diet! Then calcium and now I'm working on magnesuim and D and wondering about potassium.
I'm liking my food and have a reliable source for almost everything I want so I entered it in fitday and had a look at what I was lacking.

Kathy ... I splashed some juice in my water cup yesterday too. I don't think my blood sugar troubles are behind me just yet. Especially while we're battling this heat! As you said ... at least we're fighting with real food and not processed sugar!

Bob ... I'm not sure if sedentary little women need quite that much protein. But at this time of the morning ... I don't recall why I think that. Must have read something somewhere.

As for omega ratios ... how do folks figure? I really have no idea how much is in the food I eat. Grassfed beef? store bought eggs? A handful of nuts? It's a crap shoot, so I just take some. If my ratios are better ... well then that's better ... right?

Wow, how'd I get to be so laid back about a detail? This from the gal who used to wipe frying pans and weight the papertowel to see how much fat I'd successfully removed!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote