Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 287/229/149

Height: 5' 5"

I take some supplements, but I can't really "feel" any difference from any of them EXCEPT Vitamin D. I have been supplementing with Vitamin D for probably 6 months and it has made a large difference in my "happiness" quotient. Really.

Of course, it could be a placebo effect, but I doubt it because I often experiment with supplements and Vitamin D is the only one that has had that effect.

There is a ton of information on why Vitamin D is good and I can provide references if you're interested. There is lately some concern that Vitamin D and calcium can raise calcium too much and possibly lead to calcium deposits in the coronary arteries. This is addressed here: link to article.

That said, other supplements I take:

Multi-vitamin
Omega 3 Fish Oil
CoQ10 (the bio-available active form - Kaneka Ubiquinol)
Juvenon (combination of a couple of anti-oxidants)
Q-Veratrol (even more anti-oxidants)

Things I am thinking about but haven't decided yet:

Niacin (for lowering cholesterol)
Magnesium
Calcium
Vitamin K
Krill oil (vs. regular fish oil)
High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil (vs. regular fish oil)

Last edited by CJZee; 07-09-2010 at 07:59 AM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #92  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning!

Still on board here. Not totally caught up on the 10 Primal Guidelines, not having finished the book yet. I added some fresh michigan blueberries [1/2 cup]to my frittata breakfast and it's the first time in memory that blueberries tasted sweet to me!

Made a boo-boo yesterday--I was desperate for fluids in a hot car and guzzled 20 oz. of SoBe Life Water. It felt like I'd been transformed and renewed. I figured I was just that thirsty but when I read the bottle at home to see what the magic ingredient was it had 12 grams of carbs in it--the label touts it as zero calories. Since when is 12gms of carbs 0 calories???? Sheesh!

This last week I've been making the change from probably hundreds of grams of carbs a day to maybe 50. There are some issues, intense thirst and bouts of weakness as I jolt and bump along toward "Primality". But the bright side is I haven't had that ghastly depressing bloat I always had before.

I have to say that Mark-the Primal Blueprint author--makes it sound so promising if I can get with the plan that my hopes are actually raised. I have felt like walking roadkill for at least five years and I have been doing so much to battle the menopausal decline and not seen much of it work for me. I look in the mirror [the days I have the energy to face it!] and wonder how someone who weighs so little looks so awful! Our family has lived on The Stress Planet for the last 5 years, and I know that's a big part, but I often think that if it feels this bad at 52, I don't want to find out what 75 will be!

At any rate, I actually feel a sparkle of hope. Maybe this will work?

By the way does this thread have a weigh in day?

Happy Friday! Spanky

Last edited by spanky; 07-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #93  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
This last week I've been making the change from probably hundreds of grams of carbs a day to maybe 50. There are some issues, intense thirst and bouts of weakness as I jolt and bump along toward "Primality". But the bright side is I haven't had that ghastly depressing bloat I always had before.
I was also thirsty and felt weak the first 3-4 weeks, but it goes away, it's the ''carb flu'' they speak of on MDA...Bloat!! OMG I only get bloat now when I eat carbs, that was the biggest difference for me...

Hang in there spanky, it'll get better...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykathy View Post
I have been in ketosis for ten days now. I just came out of it r/t feeling dizzy and sweaty at work. I didn't take my blood sugar, but I did drink 4oz oj and within ten minutes I felt MUCH better.

Despite my ten days of ketosis, I haven't lost a single pound! Gotta love my metabolism. Takes a licking and keeps on fighting me tooth and nail for every single ounce of fat.
I have had same problem. No loss but the strips say I am in ketosis.

I get the bloated feeling when I eat a lot of carbs at a time. I am not completely carb free but it is is around 50 or less. I felt guilty after eating the turkey wrap yesterday that I made sure to make a good decision for dinner last nite. I had a salad with shrimp. This morning I had to take DS to get his pass port ordered before it went up in price next week. We also stopped at the chiropractor, when we walked out we were both hungry so we went to Village in for breakfast. I had eggs, sausage, fruit & the strawberry crepes sounded really good so I had one of those as well. I probably should have done without the crepes but..... I will be sure to eat something better tonite. This weekend will not be that great, we are going to a baseball game in Milwaukee. DH work will be having a tail gate party before the game, that will save us some money. I am hoping that they have some good chooses for me to pick from.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #95  
Ilene the Bean

Bob, definitely post your recipe ...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #96  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Bob ... I'm not sure if sedentary little women need quite that much protein.
You're probably right. I have no idea what my macros are, and I really don't care as long as my meals are primal, fatty, balanced between meat and veggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
As for omega ratios ... how do folks figure? I really have no idea how much is in the food I eat. Grassfed beef? store bought eggs? A handful of nuts? It's a crap shoot, so I just take some. If my ratios are better ... well then that's better ... right?

Wow, how'd I get to be so laid back about a detail? This from the gal who used to wipe frying pans and weight the papertowel to see how much fat I'd successfully removed!
That's too funny. I've heard about people like you! On the omega 3, I agree 100%. Even if you study labels or research your food online, the amounts not only vary in real food and cannot be calculated precisely, even the supplements have that problem. So, I'm just consciously increasing my 3 and decreasing my 6, and keeping the six unrefined. No seed oils, plenty of meat and nuts. Ratio shmatio.

My supplements:

Milk Thistle (daily fasters need for liver health)
Zinc (small dose once a week to avoid depletion on a fast)
Magnesium (small dose every other night)
D3 (5000 IUs every other day depending on sunshine)
Omega 3 (small dose with non seafood meals)
CoQ10 (once a week)
Melatonin (before bed when I remember)
Acetyl L Carnitine (with meals)

All of these have been sold to me in one article or another. I cannot say I noticed anything about supplementing...until I added the carnitine. I definitely got a nice surge in energy after adding that one, but it was added along with melatonin so I cannot be positive which energized me. I hate taking supplements, but I figure I should be careful with nutrient supply considering the way I fast. I'm probably going to add vitamin C since I don't eat much of it, and maybe a couple others. Sigh. I am not a fan of doing this, but it feels smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post

I have to say that Mark-the Primal Blueprint author--makes it sound so promising if I can get with the plan that my hopes are actually raised.

At any rate, I actually feel a sparkle of hope. Maybe this will work?

By the way does this thread have a weigh in day?
I only weigh in once a month, on the first. Others seem to weigh on the hour. lol
I hope this works for you Spanky. So far it has been a life changer for me. The food is just right up my ally. I am so relieved to eat this way and not fear foods I love or eat foods I hate. I thought beating grains would take forever. I no longer crave them and no one really notices me not eating them. I bloated too in the beginning and went through a week of flu symptoms. I thought it was the cabbage, but I remember feeling like a balloon.

Hope tailgating was fun Tyma. I miss living closer to civilization.

I won't forget the recipe. My mom fed her's to my dog and the dog loved it, so I guess there's two of us around here who like fishy.

Last edited by BibBob; 07-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #97  
Ilene the Bean

Spanky -- I, one of the anal ones, weighs in every day, same time same place...

It's been a good day Primal food wise, I didn't exercise but I moved books and shelves in the library for a few hours today, so I'm calling that my exercise... I was hungry at work all day so I must have been burning some fat ...
Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Look out! I'm awake and feel like chatting but my everyone else is still asleep

Did I tell ya about our restaurant breakfast? DH goes to the same place several times a week. We went to school with Janet who had the foresight to build a coffee/donut shoppe a couple of blocks from here. It's on a truck route that has probably almost 100 kms between restaurants. We think she's brilliant!
I went with him the other day and said "I'll have what he's having".
Janet herself delivered our bacon, sausage and eggs (no hash browns, no toast) "You eat like this too?" She wanted details! LOL!

Let me see ... what else was I going to comment on ...

I, too, weigh every day. I used to track salt/fluid retention wrt blood pressure issues. I think it's habit. I hardly fluctuate more than the weight of a pyjama tanktop now.

Spanky ... your feelings seem an awful lot like mine did in my mid 40's. I felt antique. I remember crying one day when I realised that I'd have to work for another 20-some years feeling that decrepit! And I only worked part-time then.
I'm really believing Sissons stuff about normalizing hormones. Either out of intelligence or desperation

And about bloat? Assuming you're talking about puffy water retention. Potato chips last night. More than my fair share of 1 1/2 bags between two of us. Maybe .4 of a pound. As long as it's not grain carbs ... I'm good.
And still on the topic of potatoes ... I hobbled to the bathroom this morning on creaking ankles, knees and hips. I was half way there before my back would straighten. Dastardly nightshades!

On the topic of anal-retentiveness ... I put all that food into fitday the other day to check micro's and never did look at macro's. I don't even know how many calories it was. Believe it or not!

I should be more conscientious about adding supplements. I've added a couple together and am not sure which is having what effect. But something is certainly helping with mood. I've cut my antidepressant dose back again. I think I'm doing OK.

And calcium? I changed from cal-mag and D to some of each, thinking that the one tablet was proving too much calcium if I took enough for the mag and D. I was trying to explain this to a friend who said that's exactly what her doctor told her.

The potassium I ordered wasn't even here yet when someone spoke to me about antioxidants. Oi! Something else to consider.

If Tymaboy is looking for a simple solution to the complex problem of eating summer party food? If it has grain in it ... don't eat it. That's what I'd do. I figure that nothing (for one day) is as bad as it is if you mix it with grains ... and maybe sugar.

I might have to play ball hockey today. I don't think my men have enough players. I don't mind being a sub but I'm not hanky on the idea of having to play my fair share of a whole tournament! I'm not very sporty.

Holy novel Mr Dickens! Best move along and do something else ... like maybe moderate something while I'm here

One more thing for Ilene ... I bought a box of red wine yesterday and it made me homesick for you
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Susan,
Thank you for saying that about hormones and your forties!!!! I'm forty four and I've been blaming my multitude of problems on hormones (and I suspect I'm writing). The good thing about going through all that is that I've found this way of eating and I'm exercising regularly both of which help me sleep better and that helps ALOT!

Anyway, you posting that was more amo for me to tell my gyne next time I see her. I haven't found one that takes me seriously yet. Still looking for a good one.

By the way, Susan, did all this crappiness go away or did you just get used to it? Just wondering. Right now my hormones are better behaved. (hehe).

Off to a family reunion.......no bad carbs, no bad carbs, no bad carbs.

Have a good weekend all of you!!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #100  

Oh man yes! I feel much better. I can easily get through a days work. I can out lift almost anybody even the young ones. I still have hot flashes but no mood swings. And I think I can work another ten years or so.

Hey, I played hockey and our team are the champions! I'll post some pics on facebook.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #101  

I'm not very picture savvy but here we go ...

We won the "A" Division!!!

Those old people on the right? That's us

Last edited by srmb60; 07-10-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #102  
Fighting the Good Fight

Hey there.

Could I be past this 'carb flu' already?? I'm feeling great! What amazes me so far is how long I can go on these types of meals. I'm not constantly sniffing around for another bagel to snatch just to get me to lunch! This morning I had some braised pork and 1/2 cup of blueberries and proceeded to run my 4 year old into the ground!

Yes. I am going to be 53 this month and I have a 4 yr. old son--this is the main reason something has to change!

I got up and tried to do my usual round of weight lifting in a more primal way--faster with each round of weights heavier. Breakfast. Then off for my son's first visit to a Farmers Market. I was able to find two sources of organic meats [much to my surprise]...Then to the Cathedral for a visit. On to the Ice Cream Garage to watch the kid down a cup of Peanut Butter Chunk ice cream. I wasn't even tempted--I had a bottle of water.

Home--he got lunch and a nap. I had some tuna salad. Then we went to a pizza party/Birthday cake event for Great Gramma. I had water. I am simply astonished at the lack of constant hunger! Right now is more braised pork and a pot of summer squash from the Farmers Market.

I think what made me wander into considering this way of eating was watching my husband become a diabetic. Two years ago he was actually diagnosed as a late, Type 1 diabetic. One day his pancreas simply began to die. He had to scramble to keep up with what was actually a new pancreas every day. He got so serious about dealing with it that he began to eat nearly primal overnight because it was the safest thing to do. And lost every ounce of his extra weight. I never believed him saying it was not that hard to resist sweets.

Hmph. I guess I get it now.

I do weigh in daily and just for fun took a set of measurements this morning. I'll post my new weight on Monday.

Oh please--- let this last!

Spanky

Last edited by spanky; 07-10-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #103  
Fighting the Good Fight

Sorry, I sorta went off....I wanted to say:

Susan--way to go on the hockey gig! Was this ice hockey or street hockey? Or is that a dumb question considering you're in Ontario?

Bob--thank you so much for the encouragement, you're a great "Primal Ambassador"!

Ilene--Menopause at this point is waaay better than peri-menopause. A few hot flashes but far less bingeing.

Supplements Recommended by my Dr:

Calcium
Vitamin D--Just started this one
Flax Oil [another source of the Omega-3's without the "Aquarium-flavored after burp"]
Multi Vitamin
And I use Morton's Lite Salt which is half Potassium Chloride and half Sodium Chloride

Okay. Maybe now I've got too much energy...? G'night!

spanx

Last edited by spanky; 07-10-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Susan -- just wanna say, you are adorable!! you look so tiny, and I love your hair (pulled back or cut short?). Very youthful and cute pic!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 287/229/149

Height: 5' 5"

Susan ... you are gorgeous and tiny.

Kathy ... I think the best thing we can do is just keep going. Even though I am a slow weight loser, I look back and see how far I have come and can't help but continue. That's why I have that little saying near my ticker "keeping the win at my back". The way I look at it, I've already won a lot. If I just keep going forward it can only get better. I read on these boards somewhere about a woman who looked at her journey as a train ride. The train was going to the destination ... she really didn't need to do anything but stay on that train. I'm planning to stay on this train and get there! And I will. Of course, I have to "talk" to myself sometimes about this when I get down, my own personal pep talk. And you folks help me too.

Wildviolets
... I'm almost 60 (arghghhg, how did this happen?) Totally past menopause and feel super. I often have 40-years-olds flirting with me (at least I *think* I do, LOL, and that's what counts, right???)

Ilene ... I weigh every day also. Keeps me honest ... and is part of the *habit* stuff discussed below.

BibBob ... recipes always welcome.

Spanky ... it will last! The lack of driving hunger is amazing and the best part of this way-of-life. I remember years ago when I was on Weight Watchers (different from today’s WW) I lost 40 pounds and I was *starving* all the time. I did it through sheer white-knuckle willpower. But how long can a person sustain a fight with their own body?

In doing lowish carb, "real" food of course you can overeat but it’s not because you’re *driven* to it by your body. So, for me, I have just tried to make this way-of-life a habit. I read this quote and like to think about it because for me *rules* equate to willpower which can succumb in a weak moment; *habits* are just everyday life and I have decided Primal is what is normal. It feels normal and right, don't you think?
Habits are safer than rules; you don't have to watch them, and you don't have to keep them, either. They keep you.
~ Frank Crane

Last edited by CJZee; 07-11-2010 at 08:15 AM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote