Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
(We need a primal emoticon!)
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #62  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I am 63 hours into a water fast. I'm sure grok had to deal with similar and I understand this is considered crazy by many, but my chronic very slight stomach ache is gone right now. I am still having bowel movements, which speaks to being a little backed up, and I feel fine. Pretty good. If it wasn't so hot, I could easily make my 6 mile walk. I did it last night at 10pm, when it finally cooled down.

Beef jerky is drying. A big NY steak is thawing. I'm tempted to wait for dinner and make this a full 72 hours, since I was asked a question about that length and a few studies suggest that bad things happen "after" 72 hours. This makes me even with the plan after screwing up for 4 days.

Other than being a little famished, I feel good. Almost artificially high. Nothing major, but I felt so "light" weight wise yesterday that it put me in a very good mood. Bending down to get some weeds was easy. I popped out of my chair in a way I couldn't a week ago. The simplest way to describe this is that I feel about 20 years younger. I'm thinking of joining a men's basketball league.

You gals didn't know a lunatic had joined your group didja?

As for my brother. He is 9 years older than me and people frequently refer to him as my younger brother. He also smokes. I cannot discuss diet with him because he is ferociously against health food. He did eat sane yesterday. "My" steak and eggs in the morning and a nice pork stew he fixed for everyone for dinner.

As of this post, I feel like waiting for dinner to eat. We'll see. I feel too young to eat! Could be mild delusions though. hehe

Last edited by BibBob; 07-07-2010 at 12:15 PM.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #63  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Bob- That is amazing...I know how you feel on the feeling younger front. I'm only 31 but the other week at a friends my 11m old was running for the stairs and I jumped up to grab her and had my friend comment that she'd never seen anyone move that fast. I honestly feel like I'm 20, you really can't ask for anything better. Congrats on feeling young! Watch out basketball league!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

I need your advice. DH has gone on a business trip. When he does DS & I usualy go out to dinner atleast 1 nite as a special bounding time for just the 2 of us. DS likes to go to Asian King (Chinese Buffet) Sometimes we go else where but they're all not very diet friendly. The last time we went out we went to Champs & I ordered a Salad. Can you give me some inexpensive ideas of where to go or what to have. I have been doing half way decent, other then a few small flubs this last weekend.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I'm up in NY and it's hot-hot-hot here. Please tell me why I left Florida (insert wry grin). I'm engaged to a guy who lives in NY and so I will probably be here all summer ... it is a different way of life than my home in FL.

I'm seriously thinking of skipping dinner a time or two a week, although it is very hard for me. Bob, those huge fasts you are doing just astound me. I'm one who likes to eat 4-5 small meals a day. But that has all changed here so I think the skipping dinner thing might be the "mini-fast" for me. Somehow skipping breakfast doesn't do anything for me in terms of weight loss, but skipping dinner often does.

I'm tracking my calories/carbs in my software ... keeping the carbs low is not too hard, but it's tough to keep my calories low. At home I mostly eat very small mini-meals that aren't too calorie dense, but here I am eating "regular" meals and even though it doesn't seem like I'm eating that much - wow! - the calories add up.

I'm pretty happy with my food choices, though. We had company a few times and bought things like ice cream and chocolate sauce and chips and dip and none of it crossed my lips. I find it not that hard to avoid this stuff.

Kathy, I'm like you, I lose weight very slowly but it does comes off eventually. I have found the skipping dinner often jump-starts weight loss, even if I don't change the calories for the day.

Love the necklace, it is so pretty. CJ
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #66  
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Bob, those huge fasts you are doing just astound me.
If you start with what I did in May, I have been gradually conditioning myself for longer fasts. Even before starting this diet, I had a history of fasting. Starting by skipping a meal here and there is the only way to go, and it is probably all that is necessary to spend several hours here and there in "true body fat" burning metabolism. The pace I have set is not necessarily wise, but I have every intention of slamming on the brakes September 1st. I developed this winter idea reading about paleo anthropology and the ice age. I knew it would work for *me*. I have spent more time in fasting forums over the last five years than "normal" places like this. I know doctors and online friends who routinely water fast for seven day stretches.

I've been swimming with my kid today. Even at 66 hours I had plenty of energy for a bunch of swimming, racing, marco polo, practicing front flips, etc. Still feeling great. It's almost like eating would ruin how light I feel and how happy my rested guts are.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #67  
Kara

Tyma, why don't you and your son do something else as a bonding time? Like go bowling,movies,etc. and then maybe go to a great park and have a picnic. I'm sure that would be more bonding than just a rest IMO. I'm starting this myself with my kids, I feel like all my bonding with my family growing up was around food, holidays, celebrations all were about food, so I'm trying to change that and make activities the place where we bond and eating a 2nd thought. If you really want to do the rest route, maybe you could find a little mom & pop place each time your DH is away and think of yourselves as food critiques, that way you try something new each time. HAve fun whatever you choose!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #68  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Hi,

I've been browsing around, having started into something quasi-Atkins-ey, and found this thread [Bob, I think I followed one of your posts...]. After a few days checking out the Primal website, I ordered the book.

Despite what I've always read about the food pyramid with the grains at the base, I have never been able to lose weight when I include them. I just bloat and then the scale goes up. "Whole" grains are even worse. Add some sugar and I'm totally messed up, especially after menopause. And I'm lactose intolerant to boot.

So I want to give this a try--mind if I join in to lose these last 10-ish pounds?

Spanky

Last edited by spanky; 07-07-2010 at 05:32 PM.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You are very welcome to join us Spanky!

Afternoon everyone. It is blessed hot here, whew!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #70  
hunt and gatherer

Hi Spanky!

Welcome aboard. I think this is a great way to maintain goal weight or drop the last ten pounds. You will be eating very healthy. The benefits seem incredible to me.

Homemade beef jerky broke the fast. Wow, another benefit is how incredible food tastes. Haha. I'm pretty sure it's the same old jerky I always make, but it tasted like the best jerky in the history of the universe.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #71  
Kara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post

Homemade beef jerky broke the fast. Wow, another benefit is how incredible food tastes. Haha. I'm pretty sure it's the same old jerky I always make, but it tasted like the best jerky in the history of the universe.
Too funny Bob! Good for you! You are going to be the incredible shrinking man!

Spanky- Welcome! You not being able to lose with grains and the bloating...that is me in a nutshell!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #72  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
this cracked me up too!!

Spanky ...

Today I was hungry for fruit so I ate 2 bananas and I'm sure about 30 cherries... and the rest was Primal... I walked/ran for 40 minutes in the coolness of an arena where there is a track going around it... Awesome!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I feel like a wimp but I'm going to get on the elliptical in my AC'd livingroom. I tried going outside but yuck!

Good food day today! I fried eggs last evening and ate two of them for breakfast. HB eggs and a big bag of cauliflower, broccoli, celery and radishes for lunch. A beef patty because someone cooked it and didn't eat it. Butt chops in butter and spinach (in butter) for supper. I wish I had a fruit but I guess somebody ate it all.
I've done the egg thing again this evening, so I might have one before I go to bed.
If ... when ... when I put in some time on the elliptical, I think I'll have a light beer. It's the perfect weather for it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
Welcome kameesennin! I think on the protein side you are aiming for .7-1g per lb of lean body mass, so 85g or a bit less is good. Sounds like you are ready, you will most likely notice tons of body recomposition as your fat starts burning. Just remember, fat is a good thing now, its hard to get used to, but butter/coconut oil/olive oil/fats from meat are okay...I still have to remind myself that fats are good and not to be scared of them.

Bob- So glad you shared that photo and story with us, really puts things in perspective of where your journey started. Good idea about the orange shirt, you will swimming in it soon enough.
Thanks! I tried to keep track yesterday and 85g is A LOT of protein. I will keep trying. I just bought a new cast iron pan so I've been keeping it oiled with coconut oil and of course bacon fat.
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

What is the deal on fats? I really need to break down the percentages because I'm kind of clueless--I need to think of things in terms of tablespoons, lol. What are the percentages to aim for?
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote