Old 07-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #31  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

wildviolets...eat when you want! Don't force breakfast on yourself, I also had that pounded in my head for so long and I pounded that into my mothers head and husband and son. I think the whole idea is that you eat when your body tells you to.

So I had a BAS for lunch about 12 and it was delicious! We went to the park for some exercise and fun and I just finished up my dinner, Aztec stuffed peppers breakfast style. I have a pork butt in the crock pot for breakfast tomorrow and then I'm pulling a 36 hr fast! I can't wait honestly. I feel so good when I'm fasting, so many years of feeling stuffed, the empty feeling in my stomach feels rejuvinating some how.

Have a great 4th to those that are celebrating tomorrow or tonight!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #32  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Well, I am off to a terrible start in July. On the first I came off a fast and celebrated the weight loss with a two feasts. On the 2nd I had forgotten a promised cookout, went ahead with it, and ate another huge feast. Today, I pick up my bro, who is starving when I get there, so we went to Red Lobster and I had scampi and crab legs, calimari and deep fried broccoli. Boooo.

I'm going for a walk.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #33  
Kara

Bob...eh, you'll bounce back with a fast I'm sure and the walk will help. I've never had deep fried broccoli, they deep fry everything now I guess.

I am finishing up my day of feasting yesterday and had slow-cooked pork butt and eggs for breakfast with 2 cups of coffee. I ate so much yesterday in comparison to my usual days, I ate tons of veggies some meat and splurged on whipped cream and greek yogurt mixed together, that should be illegal. As soon as I finish this cup of coffee I will be starting a 36 hr fast, I'm going to try to get some exercise in this afternoon during the 11m olds nap time and then we'll go to the park for a 2 mile walk, 2 miles is about all she can handle in the stroller before the screaming begins!

Oh, my husband finally is going Primal with me, he has been about 50/50 with it the past 3 months and finally I coaxed him to do it and he can't believe how good he feels. I'm happy for him, I'm waiting for the extra energy to kick in for him because I know then he'll realize how lazy the grains were making him and the sugar was just dragging him down.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Kara,
I'm so excited for you that your DH is joining you. My husband thinks I'm nuts but never says anything. I think he's just happy I feel better. I had been sick on and off for a year or two and that was upsetting to him.

I keep thinking if I would lose a significiant amount of weight (20 lbs?), that would get his attention.

And Bob, sometimes life interferes with our best intentions but we have to just keep on, keepin' on.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 287/224/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone. I will take my measurements later, but just realized I have not lost one pound in June. I'm trying to think about it as "practice maintenance" but that is not really making me happy right now, arhghghgh.

Part of the reason is I'm away from home and cannot do much of my own food preparation. But that is no excuse.

So back to basics for July:
1. Log all food in my CalorieKing software.
2. Stay around 50 grams of carbs per day
3. Stay around 1550 calories per day
4. Go to classes at the local Y while I am away from home at least 4x per week
5. Take a walk every day, even if it's a short one
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

Happy 4th everyone. This will not be a good weekend for me. I already gained a lb. Hopefully it is only water, woke up with cramps this morning. Almost a week early :-( (sorry Bob TMI)

I wish my family would be will to join me in my quest. I think it would be much easier. I was almost really bad yesterday. I had such a craving for Beechers ice cream but by the time the craving got so bad we only had 19 minutes to get to Beechers for they closed. I had 1 smore instead - it was not the same.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #37  
Kara

Wildviolets: Thats what my husband would say too until recently, it does help when you're supported. I'm happy you're feeling better, it makes a huge difference in your quality of life probably. I got sick in 2007 and I'm convinced it was diet related, no one could ever pin point it though. My husband commented this morning he felt like his sinus problems have been going away this week, I let out a big I TOLD YOU SO!

CJ- it definitely is harder when your not in your comfort zone, but it looks like you've got a good plan! Where were visiting again? New England somewhere? How is it?

Tyma- It definitely is easier when family is supportive. Good thing Beechers was closed then, huh! Have you tried making the choc. truffle things, they are good for cravings so you don't eat sugar or grains and you can put different things in them before they turn solid. Heres a link:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...olate+truffles
Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Hi all - I went out of town for a couple of days, so I'm catching up on reading.

First - Bob - WOOT!! Your progress is amazing... PLEASE don't beat yourself up over the little slips. Those are all part of the 80/20 and if you don't have a few little slip ups now and then you risk major binges (at least in my experience) - the seafood meal sounds like it was very primal except for the fried brocoli.

Tyma - I would chalk that ice cream craving up to PMS and put that s'more in the 20% too... just get back on track today. Everyone else - way to go -- it sounds like everyone has found some kind of groove. Let's keep it up!

My embarrassing confession: I did something I regret on Thursday night -- not sure exactly how it happened because it hit me unbelievably fast, but I had a heck of a lot too much vodka and ended up with a day and half hangover!! Oh, I felt so so horrible - this has only happened to me once in maybe 20 years, and I guarantee it will NOT happen again - ever. Anyway, Fri and yesterday I had no strength to exercise (not even walk) but at least there wasn't a lot of food involved.

We celebrated our anniversary last night with a meal out - I had ribeye and my husband had coconut crusted shrimp. We were going to split but the shrimp seemed heavily breaded with no coconut to be seen, so I mostly ate the steak (which was great). I did go non-primal by eating half an ear of corn and half order of the slaw that came with it.

Today is a new day -- making guacamole deviled eggs for cookout tonight, NO ALCOHOL will be involved, and I'll probably make due with a burger with no bun and hopefully a few veggies.

My weight has stayed the same this week, but for the month of June I lost about 6-8 lbs and feel great.

For July, I'm going to focus on upping the exercise, eating clean primal foods, and maybe throwing in an IF or two.

Here's to a Happy and Primal 4th and a healthy July for all of us!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think I've mastered sausage gravy! Butter, sauteed sausage meat, milk, a smidge of chicken boullion cube and I thickened it with potato flour. It only took about a tsp. We ate it over scrambled eggs. It was great!

DH would like if I could dream up a biscuit for him

He's in this with me now too. It is much nicer. He had to make an announcement in church today and had to wear a t-shirt instead of his suit jacket etc. His belly is disappearing and his dress pants looked so baggy!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Hey Kara,
I made those Chocolate-Coconut things and they are perfect for a sweet bite.....not so good that I want to eat them all but good enough to be satisfying to just eat one.
Thanks!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #41  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Wildviolets and kamesennin

Bob -- You're story made me sad ... I know you can do it this time...

Wildviolets -- I was one, until March, that would eat 5-6 mini meals/day, I was never hungry but if I happened to miss a feading I would get shaky ... With Primal I am IFing pretty regularly, 3-4x/week, eating at 6pm then not eating again till 11am the next day with no shakes at all or weakness... You just have to try it yourself and see how if feels for you but I find for myself the less carbs I eat the easier it is to IF...

W2L -- Way to go on your weight loss in June! I never thought of guacamole deviled eggs, great idea ... A question about avocados... How do you keep it if you only use half of one, mine are black and aweful the next day, unless I eat it all immediately... Happy Anniversary!

Kara -- that Primal candy recipe looks really good

Family support: Well you know, no one in my family realises that I'm a Primal eater, they know I lo-carb it they just don't realise that it's really NO carb... When I make supper I now make a BASalad, another cooked or raw veggie and a protein. At first I was making rice or pasta for them but no one was eating it because they were eating too many of the veggies and they were full, so I stopped making it and no one is asking for the carb ... If they feel the need for a carb after supper they eat a fruit or a piece of bread... I don't talk about my way of eating at all, I've only talked to my running client about it, she's the only one that understands because she's done Atkins before, I lent her my book to read and sent her the MDA Primal 101 link... BTW my husband is not overweight at all he's 5'10'' 175lbs, just one of those naturaly thin people that us folks who struggle with weight love to hate ... He eats well though he's not a junk food eater and never has been, he'll eat whatever I make and be happy with that, in my tofu days he'd even eat that, without a complaint... His saying is: ''If I don't have to make it, it's good!'' what a guy I love him to death, he's a keeper...

Hangovers: I'm tired and slightly hung over this morning myself... Met up with 2 GFs for a BBQ yesterday afternoon and we drank a pitcher of Margaritas and 4 bottles of wines, between the 3 of us, in my defence this was in a 8 hour span, still, I'm paying for it this today of course ... We had loads of laughs and fun though... Her meal was pretty primal with chicken, BAS and roasted potatos, but I immediately felt my stomach bloat from the potato and felt slightly sick, but in the end all was good...

Just back from a 50 minute bike ride, ugh, I'm drained...I wonder why
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 287/224/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
A question about avocados... How do you keep it if you only use half of one, mine are black and aweful the next day, unless I eat it all immediately..
Hi Ilene -- when you cut the avocado in half, leave the pit in the half you're not going to eat. Then wrap the whole thing, including the pit, in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator. Mine last several days like this.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #43  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Hi Ilene -- when you cut the avocado in half, leave the pit in the half you're not going to eat. Then wrap the whole thing, including the pit, in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator. Mine last several days like this.
I'll try that CJZ thanks!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #44  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm still blowing it. Hey it's Independence Day and my brother is here. What? Must BBQ.

Sorry my story made you sad, Ilene. It just made me really mad.

Susan -- Nice work on the sausage gravy. Man, could I disappear massive amounts of biscuits and gravy in the day.

wildviolets -- Kara gave the perfect answer for intermittent fasting. Eat when you want. Like many, I never had a strong need for breakfast. So waiting for lunch could easily create a 19 hour fast (dinner @ 7pm, lunch at noon) and I would have experienced approximately 5 hours of body fat burning. Now pushing the lunch back an hour here and there may lead to waiting for dinner and establishing a pretty simple 20 hour fast and 4 hour eating window daily. In that window it helps to eat one nutritionally dense meal, and for me anyway, one small meal or snack that helps me make it the next day.

For example: Dinner at 6 could be pork chops, carrots, and a big salad with bacon and hard boiled eggs. Maybe around 9 or 10 have some primal cereal, chopped nuts, sliced berries and cream or coconut milk, or as one friend of mine does, bacon and eggs. That's two decent meals in 4 hours. Some sleep better with a full belly, some don't. If you don't make the small meal first and earlier. Maybe right after work or even as a late lunch, say 3pm. Then have the large meal at 6 or so and there you've done it. 20 hours. Fat will burn more rapidly than someone eating the same calories spread out. You will entrain ghrelin to signal less hunger daily. You will become more sensitive to leptin, filling up easier and solving portion control issues. And you will become more insulin sensitive. This is what research is telling me and what I am experiencing. I haven't eaten since Red Lobster yesterday around 5. It's almost 5 again, and I can eat, but I am not particularly hungry. Either or would be fine with me.

Now to light that BBQ and put some chairs on the roof for fireworks
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

How was everyone's 4th of July? We went to the drive in and watched a double feature. I was surprised how many people were there instead of shooting fireworks. My son loves the drive-in so that's how we decided to spend our holiday evening. Before primal I bought lots of chocolate and pringles for these outings, but last night I had some beef jerky (9 gm carbs for 3.5 oz) and a handful of cashews, and was satisfied.

koceank29 aztec stuffed peppers? recipe please? YUMMMMMM

tymaboy i remember the ice cream cravings. the cravings will get easier and easier to deal with. i hardly crave sweets now. i do have to stay away from even super dark chocolate though, otherwise it will trigger me.

Ilene it sounds like you had a fantastic time with your friends! I love days like that.

Susan, I've never been much of a gravy eater, but that gravy sounds yummy!

AFM I am a bit frustrated with my lack of weight loss. For the last five days I have been monitoring my ketosis with some ketosticks. I have been in ketosis (moderate) for the full five days and have not lost a pound. I haven't lost a pound in weeks actually. My body is incredibly resistant to weight loss it seems. I have even cut calories without really meaning to. I am just avoiding food now if I can help it. Still no weight loss. I eat between 1000k and 1600k a day. There should be a loss, KWIM? I won't stop eating this way because of the other benefits, but I am not just slightly overweight, I am HUGE and I know my metabolism is broken and I do try and get 65-70% fats, but this is ridiculous. I need to lose this weight and I don't know if it will ever happen.

My husband drops five pounds in a week eating more than I do. And he's not even obese! He has a little belly fat, that's it. Very frustrating.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote