The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #61  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

The only reason I think the weighing in in front of their friends and family was harsh was because of the timing. I don't think it compares to weighing in front of the TV, because in reality they are weighing in front of the players and film crew. By the time those episodes air they've lost probably 50-75 pounds, and even when it is aired some of them are still on the ranch and still don't see it. Standing in front of hundreds and looking at them stare back at you as you are shirtless would feel much different for me. Of course, I agree that they signed up so they should expect things like that.

Did anyone see the show "Confessions of a Reality Show Loser" on Discovery Health this week? It was a 1 hour special of Eric from Season 3 who had gained almost all of his weight back. It was a real glimpse at how fast those pounds can come right back on. I firmly believe that if you don't figure out the root cause of your weight, regardless of how/when you lose it, it will probably come right back on. I have been working hard these past few months on figuring out why I have over-eaten so much my entire life. I am hoping that doing this in correlation with the diet/exercise will help me be successful in keeping it off.

I follow Jillian on Tweeter and I saw this week that she responded to someone that the first week this season was actually 10 days. That helps me understand a little better why it seemed like their weight loss this season was higher the first week. However, knowing that, I am thinking week 2 is going to probably be a low loss week for many of them. Can't wait for the show tomorrow night to find out.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #62  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I did see the special and I will say that Eric clearly thought he was in it for the show biz aspect. I can't imagine that he really thought that the show would keep him acountable. Has he never see those sent home?

I thought his wife was a complainer and really ungreatful for what WAS given.

Having been on a WL journey myself and an avid watcher of the show, my big realizition has been that I will always have to live like a fat person. I may be at a goal weigh or happy where I am BUT I will ALWAYS have to count calories and I will ALWAYS have to work out. FACT and the reality of my life and frankly the reality for anyone who has been overweight/obese.

To bad that Eric never learned that tidbit in his time on the ranch or transitioning home and too bad his wife never got on the bandwagon with him and to bad he had t gain more than 200lbs back.

it will be interesting to see how he does by the finaly of this season. I hope he learns something along the way this time.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 230/227.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post
I did see the special and I will say that Eric clearly thought he was in it for the show biz aspect. I can't imagine that he really thought that the show would keep him acountable. Has he never see those sent home?

Having been on a WL journey myself and an avid watcher of the show, my big realizition has been that I will always have to live like a fat person. I may be at a goal weigh or happy where I am BUT I will ALWAYS have to count calories and I will ALWAYS have to work out. FACT and the reality of my life and frankly the reality for anyone who has been overweight/obese.

To bad that Eric never learned that tidbit in his time on the ranch or transitioning home and too bad his wife never got on the bandwagon with him and to bad he had t gain more than 200lbs back.

it will be interesting to see how he does by the finaly of this season. I hope he learns something along the way this time.
I agree! She was really getting on my nerves when she kept saying "they just dropped him." She seemed very bitter to me and kept blaming her husband's weight gain on the BL than blaming her husband. She didn't make a good impression on me at all!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #64  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

When I make remarks watching BL or any other show that so and so is smokin' hot I always get the same reaction out of Angie..... yawner...

We "share" our TV/movie crushes with each other....

she has a "middle aged" Sean Connery....I have Britney Spears...

she has Magnum PI....I have Jennifer Love-Hewitt...

She knows who I adore

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-11-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingSkinny View Post
Am I the only one who finds the oh-so-obvious product placements just really funny? They crack me up, Bob & Jillian sounding like Mr & Mrs Infomercial LOL
LOL! I find those funny too! Like they just happen to have a pack of Extra Sugarfree gum in their pocket while walking with a contestant and the conversation turns to gum!

I find them funny cause we know they must HATE doing them!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #66  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post

I thought the same thing about her. She kept saying how the show dropped him. It made me think they didn't sign up for the show to actually lose weight and be accountable for their own weight loss journey, they signed up for someone else to be responsible for their health.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #67  

I can't wait for tonight's show!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have to say that I am really happy for the white team and I hope Michael can keep it up. He's my favorite.
But I have to say the the Twin in the Brown team is awesome too. I'm happy that he did well. (Those two are my favorites)

Look at those injuries and people falling etc. this season though! Holey moley - you think they would make it a little safer!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #69  

I think Patti will keep it up at home....especially with her other daughter helping her. I'm very impressed by all of the mothers on the show this season in their 50s really pounding it out in the workouts! I felt bad for Michael's mom (forgot her name) for falling like she did. I know if they put me on a 3 inch plank to walk over millions of spiders I would freak out...I know that must be how she felt with her fear of water. I'm glad Jillian worked with her on getting passed that fear! that was a very sweet moment! I dont care what anyone says...Bob can be rough in the gym too...they both kick butt!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

What a stylish cutie Patti is! She wasn't on the show long enough for me to get to know her, but the "where are they now" segment really made her seem like such a cool, go-getter type. She has really made the most of her time at home, and I am impressed and inspired by her progress.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Is it me or is the show getting very boring? Maybe I need to start dvr ing it.

Amber-I agree I really like the white team guy. He tries so hard and he is so big. I give him lots of credit.

Garden-I agree. She seems like such a great person. It looked like she really affected a lot of people on the show too in such a short time period.

Leslie-I felt the same way. Put me in a situation that involves heights & I would def be freaking out!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

So, I missed last week because of a meeting. I saw the tail end. Today the whole family watched. I was glad not to seeing them bleeping out half of people's words. The placements were lower. I thought Allison was very pretty. She looks a lot like my niece who lives back home. It's almost like watching my niece.

I most am thinking now of the white team. These folks are all working on so many issues. The mom wasn't pulling Jillian in to her "pity me" party. I know J has seen the same story over and over. I was trying to read J's face and felt like she seemed to be really being a trainer and not someone working the camera and BL drama. When she got her to the pool, I still saw some trainer left and a connection. However, J seemed to have really pushed her "client" a bit farther and faster than I think a full-time personal trainer might go.

I go back and forth with the show. I love it than get so disappointed. Now, I'm in my maintaining phase after losing so much weight. I look at it differently. I hope to continue watching but I think the swearing and product placement will increase over the weeks in strategic ratings move. They real you in for the beginning then interest ebbs and they have to pump up the fighting, drama, swearing, and placements.

American Idol looks like they're done with their "apple pie" startegy and looking to replace it with the X Factor which is over the top. I'm getting to the point where books and PBS are about all I can tolerate.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #73  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I personally liked when Jillian was forced to eat taco bell. They made it "extra" gross by letting it get cold and congealed. I have now vowed to not eat foods that have the potential to become congealed. And no Taco bell EVER again.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #74  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I thought it was great when Bob had to put on Michaels extra weight. It should make him have even more respect for the contestants that are running on treadmills and going through the workouts. The food segment was kind of gross - reminds me why I don't eat that stuff anymore.

I saw parts of "Confessions of a Reality Show Loser" and I thought that Eric's wife was a major whiner too, to the point that I couldn't watch the whole thing. I hope for his sake that he loses weight and keeps it off, but she needs to shut it - TBL did not make Eric put 200lbs back on!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #75  

Also, Eric made a comment when they were fixing dinner that that was how they were used to eating and they didn't have any intention of eating veggies, salads and chicken breast. And he works in a deli!