Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #16  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still too high. I did get a bean soup made, so should be good with my plan.

Maryann, very cool sewing projects. And kudos for getting your unused clothes cleared out.

Bill, the flour shortage of last year did cross my mind as I loaded a bulk bag of it into my cart. I have noticed items disappearing from the shelves here and there, that are usually always in stock. I hope the dw likes the alternative brand.

Curly, good luck avoiding the sweets today. You can do it!

Joy, fingers crossed the psa results are good. The waiting is the worst!

Karen, have fun on your hiking trip!
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Hindu Diwali Day, a Festival of Lights

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Picked up the (6 yo) DGD from kindergarten. She played on the school's climbing structure with the other kids for a full hour and twenty minutes - almost our full time. Watched her get into a snit with her friend; watched them spit and sulk a bit; then watched them get back together and continue as besties. She climbed and ran nonstop that entire time. All the girls wore leggings of some sort if they weren't in trousers. I asked DW if she wore leggings to school. "Hadn't been invented yet; I remember my legs freezing in January - actually turning red." Seems like child cruelty to me.

DW reported that the supermarket's Halloween candy has been replaced with Christmas candy. No more waiting for Thanksgiving - right to the Christmas sugar drug. I don't need Christmas started this early. Excitement was getting two packages dropped on our front porch - both containing books. One was a gift for DW, The Story of Art by Gombrish. We're apparently the only household on planet earth that doesn't already own a copy. She'd just finished reading his A Little History of the World that has been around forever. Says that his view of history is a series of wars. Maybe that's what humans are about. The other package for me was three Martin Quint novels by Steven Senturia. I've read the first and want to keep going. Both purchases might get hidden away to become Christmas presents since reading stacks are full enough right now.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was pumpkin soup with toasted coins of a baguette. Anything goes well with a baguette, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a walk with company. Sending supportive thoughts as you wait for test results.

maryann - Waving toward San Diego.

Karen (karenrn) - Have a good trip and a good hike. Smart to bring your own food.

curlyjax - Yep, the leaves are finally turning - a tad late this year. They bring me joy each year as if I'd never seen them before.

Penny. - I read the suggestion that the last time we had a flour shortage it was because all the folks at home because of the pandemic decided to start baking. I wonder if that lasted.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What

resistance technique 5
Read all of your Response Cards - including these additional cards. . . .
Code:
If I want to lose excess weight forever, I need to stick
to my plan - no ifs, ands, or buts.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 100.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #18  

Good morning!

Yesterday was good enough and weight is down a little.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

In line waiting at Starbucks at the airports. Yesterday was a terrible trip back to process sugar. I hunted the whole school for Halloween candy. Weight is up two pounds. I felt guilt and remorse this morning. My plan for the trip is to eat whatever I want except processed sugar. Packaged candy is out. So is dessert. I start my Nov fast in two weeks and I want to keep making headway on the scale.

Fingers crossed for you, Joy
Old 11-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #20  
Hotspur!

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5’0"

Back again. Posting to see if I’ve finally beat the password issue.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

DH's test results were good. Yay! That's a big relief for both of us.

In a second piece of good medical news, I got my booster for the J&J vaccine. The place where I wanted to get my shot hasn't updated their form. So, I couldn't schedule an appointment because the second question was whether my first shot was Pfizer or Moderna. I called and learned that they were taking walk-ins. So, I walked in. The nurses knew what was up and were happy to give a booster to someone who had J&J as their first shot, following the guidelines that came out this week. They gave me the Pfizer shot because that's what they were giving yesterday.

Exercise +80, 180/1500 minutes for November

VertOlive: Welcome back! I see a cute fuzzy Scottish terrier face, so your post worked!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Guy Fawkes Day (since 1605, King James I, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - There was a crisp $10 bill on the kitchen countertop when we dropped off the (6 yo) DGD. When she couldn't hear us, her mom whispered, "It's from the Switch Fairy." New to me, "Huh?" The DGD got told that the Switch Fairy would leave a bill that they could take to the store for a toy that she wanted. She was allowed to carefully pick out ten pieces that she really, really wanted. The rest was left in a bag on the kitchen counter. Voila! By morning the Switch Fairy had switched the candy for a $10 bill. A trip to the toy store was in the works. Everyone was happy. "So, where's the candy," inquiring minds needed to know. "In my office. Darn it! I'll have a few more then take the rest to work. Unfortunately, every table in our cafeteria already has a bag of someone's leftover Halloween candy begging to be taken." Our DD's coworkers are mostly young mothers. Super great in so many ways - but not in the getting rid of Halloween candy department. I miss my job with engineers who can make any donated food disappear, LOL.

Another book delivery by UPS. A short section of a geology text book had been copied for a class; the leader recommended it. A used copy in good condition was $8 including shipping. I clicked. It's a joy. Have no idea when I'll find a slot in life so vacant that I'll dig into a college geology textbook. But the illustrations are splendid. Methinks I'll just make a pass through the book reading the notes under the diagrams and illustrations. The great flood of melted glacial water, The Missoula Flood, shaped Oregon, Washington, and bits of Idaho and Wisconsin. The western part of the US has such interesting terrain.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Major success happened after I read how to get a FREE taco from Taco Bell (value $1.89). Took much thinking for me to finally realize that I didn't need to get in a monster line to save $1.89. And that I didn't want an off-meal taco to simply add to my calories for the day. When I really want a taco, I'll have a pair for dinner and count it as a meal. CREDIT moi for failure to do something stupid.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Great news about your DH's test results. Understand that sigh of relief. Glad that you helped get the forms updated to recognize that a zillion folks have had J&J COVID shots.

maryann - Congrats for consciously having a plan for your San Diego trip.

Penny. - "Good enough" is good enough some days.

VertOlive - Good to see Percy's smiling face. If I remember, you were starting the Intermittent Fasting Protocol. Is that your plan now?

Readers -
Quote:

resistance technique 5
Read all of your Response Cards - including these additional cards. . . .
Code:
I can always plan to eat this food tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

The Halloween candy at work is driving me nuts. I get to leave earlier today so that should help avoid it since I tend to get into it in the afternoon. I went for labs yesterday morning finally as part of my physical-which was about a month ago-it will be interesting to see the results. After work I hit the hardware store for a few items like a new shovel; I asked a saleslady where they were and she grimaced and said "I hate to start selling these". It took me a little to realize that she meant she dreaded winter coming I got a few duty phone calls done too and a short walk in, so considered it a productive day.
Bill-It's so interesting to watch how kids interact.I haven't heard of the Switch Fairy, that's a great idea. My kids probably would have chosen the candy however
Gardenerjoy- great that your husband had good test results! And yay for the booster.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

I wasn't consciously aware of side effects from the vaccine, but I accomplished very little yesterday and got to the end of the day without knowing quite where it all went. So, I may not be entirely functional, either. One of several things that didn't happen yesterday was a walk, so I got only minimal exercise yesterday -- just enough time spent doing stretches to not break my streak of daily exercise that's 5 years and 5 months long.

Exercise +15, 195/1500 minutes for November
Old 11-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Women can vote in state elections (1917, New York)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a win and a loss. Last week, CVS Pharmacy had refused to give me a flu shot because I only had my out-of-date Medicare Card. (For those youngsters among us, in the U.S. every person gets a Medicare Card at age 65.) I'd tried in the past to get a new card by phone and failed miserably. So I tried again, this time going through the Social Security web site. Voila! In a few clicks they'd promised to mail me one and let me print a temporary letter for immediate use until then. Never has bureaucracy been conquered so easily. Proudly took my temporary letter to CVS. "We don't do walk-in flu shots." "But last week you said that you did." "I know, but the demand was so high we had to stop. Now you need an appointment. You can sign up on line." So, I slithered out with my loss and stopped at a brick and mortar bookstore to browse away my sorrows. Enjoyed the walk, CREDIT moi.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelettes with half a sweet potato, spinach, and a green salad. The salad had a few cherry tomatoes that had been picked green to ripen on the window sill. Marginal taste. Tomatoes need to ripen on the vine. There are still a handful of hard green ones waiting to ripen. You'd think we'd just let it go.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for continuing your unbroken daily stretch of exercising - quite an impressive run. DW showed me a picture of the zillion Beautyberry bushes in the recently planted Asa Gray garden at Mount Auburn Cemetery with birds were eating away. They're everywhere. (Link shows pictures when they are not in bloom.)

curlyjax - Congrats for buying a new snow shovel before all the rest of us realize that we need them and uncover another supply chain kink. Good luck with the abundant remaining Halloween candy.

Readers -
Quote:

resistance technique 6
Drink water or a low-calorie beverage if you're thirsty.

Water doesn't have any magical weight-loss power, but if you are thirsty and not hungry, it can ward off an urge to eat unplanned food.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

There was unexpected breakfast food at work yesterday which I indulged in, but at least it was protein filled. I got my car inspected and ran another errand. Sometimes I get a little depressed in the afternoon and I don't want to be home right away, so its a good time to get things done, or explore a library in another town. Or take a walk but my feet are still hurting, boo. DD is coming home today so I need to get up and get moving as I seem to have taken over the whole house with my stuff. Apparently its me that is messy too, not just my kids!!
Bill-glad you got the shot thing straightened out. It does feel like the availability is different every day, its confusing. Your dinner sounds fabulous.
Gardenerjoy: I've heard of other folks getting tired too. yay for such a long exercise streak.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

I was so busy yesterday (hair appointment, grocery shopping, write 1667 words), that it wasn't until quite late in the day that I acknowledged that I was feeling the kind of fatigue that comes with a cold or flu. I'm sure that's why everything seemed to take twice as long as it should. I'm chalking it up to the vaccine and hoping for improvement today.

Exercise +35, 230/1500 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: I've started hearing about tech-savvy people in line at pharmacies who pull out their phones to help people who haven't registered on-line for shots. Sometimes, appointments are available immediately, but pharmacies are so short-staffed that they aren't allowed to take time to help customers who haven't pre-registered.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #28  

Good morning!

The diet has not been successful this week, adjusting to my new job hours. I'm weak!

My son has been taking the car when I'm not working so we're figuring that out, especially on the weekends when the bus he needs quits before his shift ends. My 10yo has been wanting to browse the bookstore so I'm going to see if she'll get up earlier to do that before the car is gone, but she does stay up half the night reading. Do you see the problem?

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 140/136.5/120

Height: 5'1"

Testing, "From the Member Formerly Known as VertOlive";

Greetings from the Island. I only beat the password thing with this whole new account, yeeouch!

So. I'm returning from being in free fall diet-wise, and trying to decide what to do, how to eat, etc. But showing up at least to be accountable.

Greetings and best wishes to all!

Last edited by OssaSola; 11-06-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Lewis and Clark sight the Pacific Ocean at the Columbia River (1805)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was an Asiago chicken sausage with sauteed onions and green peppers on a toasted baguette. A fave. In the distant past, we each had two sausages, usually pork. Only recently have we decided that we just don't need that much food. Mounded the onion and peppers, even using a fork to get more down. I used to make it to a street fair of some sort to get one of these from time to time. Now THOSE had calories.

Excitement was the arrival of Anne Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi: The Classic Autobiography of Growing Up Poor and Black in the Rural South. Embarrassed that I've never read it. It was referenced often in Wendy Sanford's book. And, on top of that, a quick morning tour of three yard sales within walking distance. Heroically, I bought only a neat wooden truck for the DFGD for $2 (bargain!) and an expensive cutting tool for me from the $1 table. Had to pass on a great looking, rigid, wicker basket that was more than three feet across at the top. Would have to add a room to the house to display it. The seller said that it was her favorite item in all the world, but she had to make choices of what went with her on her upcoming move. Only saving grace was that it was manufactured, not handmade.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the tip of making an appointment on my cell phone while waiting in line. Glad to hear that NaNoWriMo is happening.

curlyjax - Neat to get that car inspection behind you. Love the notion of exploring a library in another town.

Penny. - Good luck juggling kids activities and sleep cycles. While trying to do your day job as if you matter, also.

OssaSola - (VertOlive) Ouch for your login difficulties. But glad that your persisted. Kudos for going forward one step at a time.

Readers -
Quote:

resistance technique 7
Meditate, pray, or relax.

Try one of the following breathing techniques: . . .
  • Take 10 deep, s-l-o-w breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Concentrate on your breathing. If you start to think about food, gently bring your attention back to your breathing.

Closed Thread