Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday, I did a yoga DVD that I bought about a decade ago. I never finished it, then, because it was too hard. I decided to take that as a challenge! I can do all the postures, now, although this program holds them longer than I'm used to. I'm pleased with that progress!

Although, it turns out that I don't actually like the routine. It skips shavasana -- the relaxing, meditative pose that yoga routines traditionally end with. So, I'm putting it on a give-away stack.

Then, I walked while I talked to my brother on the phone. When we were kids, my dad called his mother late on Sunday afternoon -- before the weekend telephone rate ended. My brother and I honor that by calling each other at that time. Most weeks, it's a good time for a walk, too. I'm wondering what my Grandma would think about phone calls that feel like they're free and that can be made while taking a walk, instead of tethered to one place.

Exercise +80, 1080/1500 minutes for November
Old 11-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #107  

S/C/G: ?/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan. I did my volunteering at the St. Mary's Food Bank today. We were at the main facility for the Thanksgiving food give away. There were cars lined up by 5:30 for the event that started at 8. I can't even tell you how many cars went through the line. Hundreds at least. I was kind of tired after my time on the job and I'm not even sure why. Didn't get much done the rest of the day. Tomorrow I'll hike in the morning and get some more Thanksgiving prep things done, like polish the silver which didn't happen today.

More tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Charlemagne investigates the alleged crimes of Pope Leo III (800 AD, Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Delivered and picked up my Nissan LEAF with new MacPhearson struts. The noises whenever I hit a bump are gone. A chunk of money is gone but I can use the car. Glad that's behind me. I don't look forward to facing the car market either used or new in this environment.

Excitement was a trip to the supermarket a day before my usual Tuesday trip. The place was mobbed. I got the last open parking space coming in and watched cars vying for my space when I left. Fresh turkeys were out at last; they hadn't been before. I picked up, as instructed, a chuck roast for DW to make our Thanksgiving Pot Roast - a first for us. Since we won't visit family until Friday, we'll skip turkey for the first time in decades. It feels naughty, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for your progress in yoga over the last decade. Neat notion of talking to your brother during the time slot that you both remember your father calling his mom.

maryann - Love the image of you line dancing with a bunch of family. Congrats for being in the groove getting so much stuff done.

Karen (karenrn) - Sobering how many folks are lined up at the food bank this year. Kudos for doing your good deed.

curlyjax - I've never gone to visit the Louisa May Alcott House in Concord, either. But, then again, I haven't read Little Women so perhaps I wouldn't be allowed in, LOL. Ouch for the feet still being a bother.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 9 Get Back on Track - Right Away

Would you say, I might as well run as many as I want and start again tomorrow? Of course not! You would stop at the very next red light you encountered.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 102.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Finally got my lab results back from doing routine lab work, and no surprise I need to lower my cholesterol and LDL-however the HDL is good. I do eat a lot of healthy stuff, I just eat too much junk on top of that. Exercise is tough now with the foot PF but I do have my weights and stationary bike, so I need to get back to that. I made the first pie last night- cherry/cranberry- and did start eating it already but-onwards! I'm going to pick up DS after work today and I think DD comes home tomorrow so the house will be noisy and full. I did buy some new sneakers and new inserts yesterday as I'm supposed to wear them around the house so that should be a help.
Maryann- line dancing is so fun, that's great you got to do it.
Gardenerjoy-yay for yoga progress. I have a yoga DVD i should dig out.
Karen- Were you on your feet the whole time? I could see that as being tiring. I have found memories of my husband polishing the silver for special occasions.
Bill-pot roast is easier than a turkey for sure. Good for you guys for mixing it up a little! I found a nice 13 pound turkey that is just right for me and my kids.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #110  

Good morning coaches,

I'm all ready to head out the door to hike with a couple of friends. One of the gals is from Canada and I haven't seen her since last year. We're just doing a moderate one today which will leave me plenty of energy to do some things I need to get done here at home. Food has been on plan, but scale is not budging. I know I have not had enough water the last couple of days, so I will be concentrating on that.

Curlyjax I'm sure it will be nice to have the kids home for a couple of days. It's way more fun to cook for even a small group. I hope wearing the shoes indoors begins to help. Yes the volunteer gig was on my feet, but it was only half the day. I think part of it was that it was a little nerve wracking because it was new and I didn't know anyone.

Bill Glad to hear you have your repaired car back. I'm with you, I'm not anxious to look for a new car. Actually now or in the foreseeable future. The longer I can keep mine running smoothly the happier I am.

GardenerJoy Neat that you could do the older yoga tape and see the improvement you've made.

Maryann Oh the dancing sounds so fun. We have a local cowboy bar that does line dancing and the few times I've gone it seems so fun. I always want to go back to take the lessons, but it's never happened.

Waving at Penny!
Old 11-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #111  
Green Tomatoes

I wrote my 50,000th work for November last night during a virtual write-in. The host rang a bell and everyone wrote 'congratulations' in the chat. A pretty good way to celebrate! I still have 15 scenes to write before I reach 'The End' so I'm continuing on.

Today, I'll be walking with someone, rather than have a Zoom meeting or telephone call. I've been a little surprised how delighted people are when I offer them a walking meeting.

Exercise +40, 1120/1500 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: We chatted with a neighbor yesterday. She ordered a replacement for her ancient Camry in May. She might get it before the end of the year.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 173/162/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a marathon. With 86 year old Mom in tow I had Car Max appraise her old car, change title on an out of state vehicle at AAA, change insurance, add the new plates and mail the old plates back to BIL. She was a trooper. I can't believe I got it done while avoiding the DMV. Credit for very healthy meals throughout. Another full day today but I am treating myself to a facial while the house cleaner comes. DS comes in at 7:00. We have a family dinner at 5:00. I wish I had a little more free time this vacation but I am happy to be surrounded by family.

Karen: Credit for helping with the food giveaway. That is crazy busy.
Joy: LOL at how frugal the last generation was. I just read some entries from the Tightwad Gazette. I like the frugal ideas because many are "planet" healthy now with the "use it up, no waste" philosophy.
BBE: DH and I are embracing new traditions as well. It is fun.
curleyjax: I agree that it is easier for me to add healthy rather than subtract food.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Australopithecus afarensis skeleton "Lucy" discovered (1974, Ethiopia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was surprised when the Brazilian lady who cleans our house politely asked if she could have our discarded newspapers. Of course. But I was feeling friendly and asked why. "For the bottom of my parrot's cage." "Really, does it talk?" "Of course!" I couldn't resist, "In Portuguese or English?" "Both," she beamed. Clearly she's proud of her parrot. So, now I know the owner of a bilingual parrot. Who'd thunk?

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi.

Spent the day excitedly conquering a website to schedule the delivery of the recliner chair that we'd purchased back in June. Back then, the furniture store had predicted a November delivery and, low and behold, they met that. I'm impressed. We'd paid a nice chunk of money to have it delivered. Had to figure out how to get rid of the old one. It's a quality Lazy-Boy but, after 40 years, the recliner mechanism is 'funky.' Funky enough that I'm the only person who's willing to sit in it. If I can get it from the second floor to the curb, the city will pick it up for FREE. I cringe at the thought of someone taking it thinking that they'd scored a major find. Will have to design a sign on it that describes 'funky.'

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Add my "Congratulations" to those from all your co-writers on Zoom - what a neat tradition. 50,000 is a lot of words. Cringe at your friend's wait of seven months for a new Camry. I'm so old that I remember that one could wander out to buy a car and drive it home.

maryann - Welcome home to your DS. My congratulations to your mother for having the energy to do all that running around at her age. Suggests that you have good genes.

Karen (karenrn) - Fun thought that you're hiking with a Canadian friend. Kudos for food on play; the scale will follow on its own schedule.

curlyjax - That cherry/cranberry pie sounds yummy. Yay for a house full of kids for Thanksgiving.

Readers -
Quote:

To lose weight successfully, you need to learn how to stop yourself at the first mistake, put it in perspective, and recommit yourself right away. Because that's just what it is: a mistake.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 103.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #114  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and I think I had 2 1/2 liters of water yesterday. I also polished the silver and my silver jewelry and cleaned the leather sectional. I also made a cranberry chutney and put some in the fridge and more in the freezer. Today I'll get Otis out for a walk and then do more Thanksgiving food prep and go to a movie. I'm going to see Encanto a Disney movie that has had lots of advertisement. The colors look as beautiful as the Coco movie several years back. I'll go early alone, since most of my friends wouldn't want to see an animated Disney flick.

Bill Don't hurt your back getting the old recliner out the door.

Maryann It will be so nice for you to have ds home. How long will he get to stay?

GardenerJoy Congratulations for the incredible accomplishment of writing 50,000 words with more coming.

Waving to Curlyjax and Penny!
Old 11-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #115  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I'm still here! Weight is maintenance and I have managed to exercise on my days off. I had wanted to exercise on a work day as well but after I clock out I know that isn't happening. I feel so beat up.

Anyway, it feels good to be exercising on my days off at least and I can feel the cycling improving already.

Another work day for me. Have a great day, everyone!

Old 11-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #116  
Green Tomatoes

I ended up walking twice, yesterday. Once as a walking meeting with a friend and community organizer and a second time with DH. I slept well last night!

Exercise +80, 1200/1500 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: Did you replace the old Lazy-Boy with a new Lazy-Boy? We expect DH to have eye surgeries in the next 6-18 months that will require him to lay on his back for three days (twice, once for each eye). A recliner seems more pleasant than the bed, so I guess we're in the market. It never occurred to me that there could be a 6-month lag time. I guess that means that we're in the market, immediately. Any advice on how to buy a recliner?
Old 11-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Thanksgiving / National Day of Mourning

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Picked up the (6 yo) DGD at noon - their school system had a half-day. For some reason that meant that no kids stayed to climb on the school play structure and we faced a long afternoon entertaining her. She left talking wistfully to a young kid named Raphael. What a neat name for a very sweet little boy. His mom gave us her phone number so that my DD can set up a play date. Took her to an indoor play space that had managed to stay alive through the pandemic. She used it well.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks other than the planned handful of blueberries on the drive home, CREDIT moi. After dinner, we made the cranberry/orange relish that we love for today's meal. It's made with our ancient steel meat grinder into which we dump chunks of an orange and a bag of raw cranberries. Once mixed, sugar is added to allow the bitter cranberries to be enjoyed. So good.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats that Parrosaurus Missouriensis was found in your back yard. Exciting to think that a new species of dinosaur can still be identified. I have no advice for buying a recliner. I was surprised when we shopped in June that the manual tilt-back was history; they're all powered now. I tried to buy a manual one and faced an additional cost - if even possible. We sat in every price-range. Was most surprised that the ones costing several thousands of dollars were no more comfortable - just more 'stylish' by some definition that eluded me. All that we liked were in the $1000 range. Seemed high to me, but I was replacing a 40 year old chair. The one we chose wasn't Lazy-Boy, but Flexsteel Langston (20% discount from that price). Good luck with your shopping.

Karen (karenrn) - What is the recipe of your cranberry chutney? You sound like a cleaning tornado.

Penny. - Yay for keeping up with your exercise on your days off. Hope your new job settles down to be less tiring.

Readers -
Quote:

We all are human and, therefore, not perfect, so mistakes are an inevitable part of life. I don't know a single dieter who followed a plan perfectly, day in and day out for the rest of his/her life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 103.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Happy thanksgiving! yesterday was a short day at work and not terribly productive as one of my co-workers brought in her puppy. It is part beagle and part bassett hound, and so adorable, with the longest ears. After work I did a few errands and made a pumpkin pie. However it was in one of those flimsy tin containers and spilled over the oven door, into the hinge part and everything. I managed to salvage enough to bake it anyhow, but that put an end to my meal prep and my enthusiasm. I put baking soda on it so hopefully this morning it won't take too long to get most of it up so the oven doesn't smoke all day. Ugh. We'll eat about 3 and then hopefully go over to my friend's house for dessert later on. I miss seeing family but I'm so glad I'm not traveling long distance today.
Bill-yum, I love the combination of cranberry and orange.
Gardenerjoy- good luck with the recliner search.
Karen-hope the movie was good.
Penny-great that cycling is improving.
Maryann-I remember the tightwad gazette!
Ugh, I'm not feeling very motivated today to spend hours in the kitchen. Oh well, it will be worth the end results!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #119  

Good morning coaches,

Happy Thanksgiving! I made the dressing yesterday and I've just put some garlic in the oven to roast for the potatoes and made the apple cranberry crisp for the dessert. It will go in the oven once the garlic is out. Since I am not making all that many dishes I hope the timing goes well, since I think that is the most difficult part of Thanksgiving. There was a video in the online New York Times this morning about how to carve the turkey. I had dh watch it as it is different from how we've done it in the past and it looks like a winner. I'm really looking forward to seeing my brother and sil who will arrive around noon. They've been in town for a week, but up at my niece's.

My friend and I met at the trailhead to hike this morning, but although not windy here it was terribly windy there. We ended up coming back home. When I watched the news they said the gusts were to 28. Definitely not the conditions I like to hike in.

Ds left for Thailand yesterday and should be arriving there today. He has been in the states so much more with Covid that I've gotten used to him being pretty much in my time zone. I will miss that. I still hope to go in January once he tells me how it is. I can't just stay home the rest of my life, but I sure can wear a mask.

Curlyjax Oh what a bummer that the pie made a mess. Hopefully the clean-up won't be too bad. Will the kids help at all with the cooking? My son is much older, but always loved to cook. I remember years ago when he called asking how to make the gravy.

Bill The Slow Cooker Cranberry Chutney is an old Weight Watcher recipe. I'm sure it could just as easily by cooked slowly and for a few hours on the top of the stove. Ingredients are:

1 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
2 medium fresh apples, sweet variety, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup uncooked shallots, minced
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp table salt

Cook it until it's like a jam consistency and be sure to smash some of the cranberries. I love it on turkey or a turkey sandwich.

Waving to the rest of you and heading back to the kitchen so I can cook and watch the Thanksgiving Parade.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

For the second year in a row, we're more or less skipping this holiday. We planned to grill turkey drumsticks, but it's too windy today so that will wait for tomorrow. We'll do our usual Thursday family Zoom call with DH's family. There are tensions around a variety of issues, including the reasons that we didn't manage an in-person gathering -- so I guess that's normal!

We're both perfectly content with our low-key holiday. I'm researching Thanksgiving during WWII for my NaNoWriMo project, engaging in a practice of gratitude, and reading An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz for our book group. It's rewiring my brain -- although I think it's going to take more effort to get the job done. There is so much that I need to unlearn in order to relearn the accurate history.

Exercise +60, 1260/1500 minutes for November

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for acknowledging our new dinosaur and for the recliner information.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-25-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Closed Thread