Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #61  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was a good day and the scale needs a new battery but I'm sure weight is at least holding.

Work was pretty good yesterday. I think I'm getting used to working more. Whew! If I can just force myself to exercise I might just pull myself out of this slump.

My hvac quote was really high so I think I'm going to put that on hold and buy a second car instead, plus a bunch of passports need to be renewed. It's always something!

Bill, I always see the magnatiles when we walk through the toy area because my kids liked those. I pulled out the lego bin for my nephews the other day and my daughter was laughing at a stray magnatile in there. They're fun toys.

Joy, excellent news for your dh recovery. I'm glad he is feeling better too. I like the writing to weightloss analogy.

Maryann, abusers everywhere. Good job telling him off. That's so great that your son looks up to you and wanted your help. Is he wanting to teach? An in-law was a first chair violinist in the Cincinnati Philharmonic (I think he's retired now) and it seemed like a fabulous job with travel.

Karen, you're doing so good with your new diet plan and hiking (as always). Solo hiking is so nice, especially with a podcast or audio book.

Waving at Curly.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - World Diabetes Day (since 1991)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, the mile to attend the opening of a children's playground. It's been touted to be super friendly to kids of all abilities. Built up of gently sloping hills so that the tallest climbing structure has a level ramp going to its uppermost floor. Many of the swings with huge seats that can hold a child lifted from a wheelchair. Hope it works. One serious flaw: the gaps between the gently sloping paths were covered in black mulch and decorative grasses. Every kid simply walked through them, tracking the black mulch over the padded play areas and tromping the grasses. Like the designers had never seen kids in a playground before.

But they served lunch to those of us who lasted through the speeches of the politicians who were uniformly boring. They thanked so many people that I felt the urge to raise my hand and demand thanks as a taxpayer. Lunch was a tasty hamburger on a bun with ample curly lettuce, tomato, and pickle. Much better than I'd expected for FREE. Unfortunately, also a "pie" - a small cardboard carton with a "Chocolate Eclair Pie" enclosed. I stuck it in my pocket. In the afternoon, DW and I each had a quarter of it - will finish it today. Good enough for unneeded calories. So eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the addition of an afternoon snack that was FREE and stealthily slipped out of an event like a spy with a secret message. Or like a sane eater who was hiding from himself, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the notion of non-French readers translating old French script by themselves. That's some dedicated research.

maryann - Amazing story of the teacher who can't control talking; hate to think what he's like with the kids in class. Love that your DS asked your advice for teaching music.

Karen (karenrn) - Listening to podcasts while hiking seems like such a good idea. I wish that I could count on one hand the Costco samples I've had. Or even on two hands and two feet, LOL.

curlyjax - Waving. Hope your visit with your Dad is going well.

Penny. - LOL at finding the stray Magna-tile in the Lego bin. Yay for the scale needing a new battery - a small problem with an easy solution.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What

resistance technique 11
Distract yourself.

This will help you wait out the urge to eat. Get out the Distraction Box you created in Chapter 3. First, start the activity that you think will be most distracting. If you finish it and the urge to eat has not gone away, try a second activity and so on. . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 102.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

I completed my writing goal before breakfast for the second day in the row. I like how that starts the day with a sense of accomplishment and with a weighty goal released from my day. Something to keep in mind for the rest of the month and beyond.

CREDIT for pulling DH out for a walk on a cold day. He was talking and thinking about other things and barely noticed the temperature. At least, we now know we don't have to treat him as if he's too fragile to walk in cold weather.

Exercise +55, 610/1500 minutes for November
Old 11-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #64  

Good morning!

The scale batteries have been replaced and weight is the same.

It's a day off when I actually have the car to use. I'm going to visit my little brother to see his new house, then take my daughter into Portland to visit Powells bookstore. Last week I took her to our usual bookstore and we were shocked to find it permanently closed.

In other news, my oldest son informed me he has his first ever date tonight. I pushed him to get a job, hoping it would finally get him to come out of his room and join the world. It's only been a few weeks and he's already so much happier and now going on a date. His friends helped him clothing shop and took photos for a dating app profile. This is a date from that. Of course, I'm nervous It's some murderer online. Gotta breathe and let him live (and teach him some precautionary measures).

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 11-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #65  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I did have a couple extra bites yesterday. A piece of tofu and a couple nibbles of grated cheese that were going into my eggs at lunch. This morning dh and I did a moderate hike that takes about 90 minutes. He really likes it because it is less rocky than some I've taken him on. I'm thinking when he retires I'll be able to get him hiking a day or two a week and maybe the volunteer thing one morning a week. Yesterday he cleaned the carpet in our bedroom and the office and it looks like new. So there's another thing he can do, help me with the housework. I will soon have his time filled and he'll be able to retire.

I don't have any big plans for the rest of the day, but I do have some laundry going. I have hikes with the group on the docket for Tuesday and Thursday and the second one is 16 miles and with the drive will take most of the day. I'm doing a little extra "spring" housecleaning to get ready for company that will be coming in the next month or two. Really it's just an excuse to do things that no one will notice anyway.

GardenerJoy Glad your dh is getting out doing more. I hope his outlook is better since the good lab results.

Bill I don't know if the hamburger would have been worth sitting through the boring speeches. It will be interesting to see how the park works out or if they will change it up after seeing how the kids tromp through things.

Penny Speaking of Passports, it only took about 3 weeks for us to get our back and I didn't pay for expedited service. It may get a little slower as things are opening up, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - American painter Georgia O'Keeffe born (1887, Sun Prairie, WI)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and the (20 month old) DFGD to a playground. Watched how intently she observed other kids. Each week she's more agile in her major motions. And, always happy. Just ALWAYS! Other kids are still wearing their Halloween costumes. Fun to watch. The DFGD starts daycare for some number of hours this week. That'll give her more interaction time with other kids. Don't think she's had much before - like many babies born into the pandemic.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with an apple cider donut replacing the usual apple of my evening snack. A neighboring family had gone apple picking in Western Massachusetts; brought us a bag of apples and a bag of a half-dozen apple cider donuts. I'll eat my designated three. They're super dense and worth every calorie. Dinner was simple dahl which should compensate a little. Except that it was served with Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon-bits - not a low-calorie vegetable.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for breaking the aura that cold temperatures can prevent walks. Ice, yes; cold, no.

Karen (karenrn) - Great to hear that you and your DH did an enjoyed hike together. Love the notion that you are seducing him into retirement. I can think of worse nibbles than tofu and grated cheese.

Penny. - Congrats to your DS for taking the first-date milestone. Sobering to remember how tough steps are for young folks. Ouch for a closed bookstore. I think of bookstores as a major bastion of free speech. If all books came from Amazon, then it could be cowered to block books about sensitive subjects.

Readers -
Quote:

resistance technique 11
Distract yourself.

. . . Remember that watching TV and reading are often not distracting enough (especially if you are used to eating while engaging in these activities); listening to music helps some people but not others.

When you contact your Diet Buddy from now on, report on which techniques helped the most.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone. I had a very nice time with my dad. He acknowledged he was feeling depressed previously and is feeling much better now. We were able to go out to eat dinner which he really enjoyed, and he discovered he could use his cane instead of a walker which is physically much better too. He is 90 and doing well. I also visited my aunt briefly and started step one of getting her to consider doing the power of attorney, which she should have done years ago but whatever! Eating wasn’t great on the trip and I’m very vegetable deprived. I have a salad and yogurt today for lunch so onwards.
I wish I lived closer to them, but on the other hand its nice to have a change of scene which always clears my head. It’s a lot easier to drive around there, people are friendlier, and a lot are overweight and dressed more casually, I fit right in
Bill-sounds like you had nice interactions with the small fry. That new playground sounds great. I’m in denial that I have to start thinking about the holidays-fortunately my young adults just want cash.
Karen- that is great you are getting DH more into hiking. I think some men have a hard time filling time after retirement so its great you have some ideas for him! I listened to some Phit n Phat stuff on the drive home to motivate myself and thought of you.
Penny-that is adorable that your son is going on a date. I’m so glad he is doing well. Yay for jobs that require social interaction too, that was such a big draw when I was starting out working. I hear you on all the stuff to deal with-car, house etc. Glad you’re adjusting to your work hours too.
Maryann- so awesome your son is playing in the Michigan pops! So nice he knows what a great teacher you are too.
Gardenerjoy- definitely good to get outside in the cold not ice. Good luck with your November writing.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #68  

Good morning!

Maintenance continues. My kids made quiche with kale that turned out pretty good. I'm trying to get them to share in the cooking more.

My daughter's trip to the famous Portland bookstore was a success. She absolutely loved it and came home with a stack of titles she had been wanting.

Bill, the apple cider donuts are sounding good once again.

Karen, your energy continues to impress. I bet it's beautiful weather for all of the hikes now.

Curly, I'm glad the visit with dad went well. Lol at the fitting right in comment.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #69  
Green Tomatoes

I would need 90 minutes of exercise to reach the half-way point of my goal at the half-way point of the month today. That's not out of the realm of possibilities, but unlikely. I'm going to aim to get as close as I can since that will make the rest of the month easier.

Exercise +50, 660/1500 minutes for November
Old 11-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #70  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan, but weight isn't budging. Today is a hungry/bored day, but I am hanging in there and hoping a little hunger helps. Walking Otis and a little housework is the extent of my exercise today. I did have kind of a sewing mess going in the back bedroom, so I took care of that. I found I have a little quilt kit with all the fabric that will be perfect to get going on quilting again. I think I will start it when my sil is here in case I get stuck on something. I don't know that she has really done much quilting, but she is an excellent seamstress. I finished the Between These Walls book written by Bill's friend and enjoyed it. Now I am reading the book The Sharp End of Life written by Dierdre Wolownick who is Alex Honnold's mother. I am finding I can sit and read easier now than I could for months. I think the low and sometimes not so low level of anxiety I was feeling has lessened. There are certainly circumstances that contribute, but to much of it is just frame of mind.

GardenerJoy I'm sure you'll get caught up on your exercise minutes.

Penny We cross posted the other day so I hadn't seen that ds had a date. Lot's going on at your house. My Dad used to spend a lot of time and money at Powell's. I was only there a couple of times, but it is quite a book store. I guess there are a number of them, but the big one is really something. And yes, the weather is perfect here this time of year.

Curlyjax I'm so glad you had a nice visit with your Dad. I'm sure it is a bit difficult to have the distance you have to drive.

Bill Those apple cider donuts and the brussel sprouts too, sound pretty darned good to me.

Waving to Maryann.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Oklahoma becomes the United States 46th state (1907)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was getting my Nissan LEAF electric car ready to take to the garage this morning. There's a clunking noise in the suspension somewhere. Ouch! I envision a $10k problem forcing me to ditch the car. It's a lousy time to be trying to buy a car as has been discussed here before.

Eating was on plan with an afternoon snack of an apple cider donut, CREDIT moi. I'm going to eat my three allocated donuts; consider them planned at this point. Had an afternoon Zoom meeting to support an organization. Was dropped out by my internet service provider at midpoint. Didn't recover until the meeting was over. Fortunately, our organization had another rep to conclude the meeting. Kinda nasty. We've been getting some gaps in our internet service lately. Not enough to be a problem but this Zoom dropout was a bummer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for reasonable goals instead of just-gotta-do-it-at-any-cost goals.

curlyjax - Glad you had a good visit with your dad. LOL at "vegetable deprived."

Karen (karenrn) - I also enjoyed Between These Walls - enjoyed and was confronted by it.

Penny. - You made me google Powells Bookstore. Sounds like a place worth a trip to visit. So neat that your kids can cook quiche.

Readers -
Quote:

tip: Do not use chewing gum as a resistance technique. Some dieters tell me, "I can resist tempting foods, but only if I chew a piece of gum." To effectively exercise your resistance muscle, you need to get accustomed to eating three meals and three snacks with nothing else in between. It's okay to enjoy an occasional piece of gum, but don't pop it in your mouth because you think, I need it. Once you learn to tolerate the sensation of having an empty mouth, you will be truly free.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

After work yesterday I went to see the latest James Bond movie with a buddy who had invited me. We were two of four people in the audience and had those fabulous recliner chairs. I felt quite decadent! I picked up a salmon dinner with kale and sweet potato as my sides which was quite tasty. I also called an older friend from church who is going thru chemo for breast cancer, and chatted with her for a good 90 minutes. I will call her again, as she said she enjoyed talking about things other than cancer. I have made an appointment with yet another exterminator- I really need to get the outdoor of the house sealed up which is hard for me and its included in the price. And I've made an appointment with a podiatrist, as I'm tired of having this foot pain. I need to get going on things like the FAFSA but I feel like I'm addressing some urgent things in my life anyhow.
Penny- I took a peek at that bookstore, it looks really cool. Yay for kids doing more cooking!
Karen- that book sounds really interesting, I love stories about middle aged women reinventing themselves. I'm not personally interested in scaling mountains but kudos to those who are! A little quilt project would be very fun.
Bill-I hope the car issue isn't too costly. Internet dropping is annoying for sure.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #73  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is down to the recent low. Now just waiting for it to drop further. I had a dentist appointment yesterday for teeth cleaning and it went fine. I always get a little nervous worrying they will find something that needs attention. I did get the sewing mess put away. It probably took all of 15 minutes. I also had several phone calls with friends which for me is a priority. Today I'm hiking with the group and it's close to an hour away. A friend may come with if her flight back from Washington didn't get in too late.

Curlyjax I'm with you, I don't plan to get in to rock climbing. Lately I've felt like maybe I should quit setting such ambitious hiking goals though, and I don't think I need to . . . yet.

Bill Fingers crossed that the car repair won't be too bad. I usually make a big number in my head so that anything less will seem okay. You would absolutely love Powell's bookstore. The flagship store is huge. I'm sure a number of books I have were purchased there (by my Dad) and I did get rid of boxes of his books.

Penny I think it's a great idea to have your kids help with the cooking. I always loved to cook as a kid and was so glad my Mom was fine with us doing some cooking. Most of mine was baking, but a number of friends weren't even allowed to do that because it messed up the kitchen. I'll never forget a friend calling me when she was married to ask how much grease to put in the pan to fry the bacon.

Maryann I hope the fast is starting out well for the week.

Waving to GardenerJoy who just might be writing.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't get 90 minutes of exercise, but I got a lot and I'm closer to being on track for my monthly goal. I may take a long walk today. We expect a glorious day for November and I'm going to the eye doctor this morning. A long walk with sunglasses may feel a lot better than staring into a computer screen with dilated eyes.

A last minute schedule change sent me to the grocery store yesterday. As it turned out, I'm glad for that. The store was more crowded than expected and fewer people were wearing masks (even though the sign on the door says they're required). Both of those situations are likely to worsen every day from now through Thanksgiving Eve.

Exercise +75, 735/1500 minutes for November

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-16-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.
Day two of Prolon fast cycle three is in the books. Ironically it has been grading week so I have watched movies and stayed late at school. It has been very diverting. No staying at home staring at the kitchen.

Karen: Thanks for the Swindle recommendation. My husband loves those stories.
Culeyjax: My Dad is 91.5 and is going full tilt. Thank Goodness
Penny: How did DS date turn out?

Wave to BBE and JOy.
Closed Thread