Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #121  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Just getting on here to tell Maryann to have a fabulous trip. Just enjoy every minute. Can’t wait to hear about it when you get back. I’ll get back to posting on Saturday. I fly home tomorrow afternoon. It’s been a great visit.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Opening Day Ceremony Summer Olympics Games (2021, Tokyo)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - 'Twas and absolutely amazing day. We visited the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln, Mass with DD and the (5.5 yo) DGD - yes, an extra day with the DGD but now with her mom. Neither of them had been to the deCordova. The DGD LOVED it. She grabbed the map to lead the way. "Wow," I said to her mom, "since when has she been able to read maps?" "First time," was the amazed response. Were there prancing about for two whole hours before stopping for lunch on the grass. Most enjoyed was the Andy Goldsworthry house. Could have stayed for hours. Was a religious experience to sit inside. Built without mortar - he travels with his own group of eight masons who hand fit each stone.

Then, on the drive back to her house, DW took out Go Dog Go to read to her. A very simple book that she hadn't seen in a couple of years. She took it. And proceeded to read it. Laboriously, she read the entire book. She just decided that now was the time to read. Seems to have been triggered by a visit to the brick-and-mortar library the day before with her mom - the first library visit since the pandemic. She savored every. single. book. Wanted to bring them all home. Up and decided to read. DW was a magnificently patient teacher. The book was made for first readers. It all came together. Couldn't have been a better day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Nice to be reminded that exercise does matter - thanks for the link.

maryann - Waving back toward Peru. Bon Voyage.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Oregon waving toward Peru.

curlyjax - Neat that you have friends genuinely happy for your new job. Yep, we have those tiny ants, also.

Penny. - Yay for getting the feedback that you're desirable. I can understand that Monday thru Friday can feel like a grind - spoken from 40+ years of so grinding.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

Make the following Response Card:
Code:
Hunger is never an emergency. It's only mildly
uncomfortable. I can tolerate it. It will come and go.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 80.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Such a perfect weather day yesterday, not too hot, and dry. Not too much to report, I have been indulging again, ack. Really enjoying W1A on Netflix- I forget if I mentioned it before, its a mockumentary set at the BBC. Very funny, very fast dialogue.
DS has poison ivy again- he tried taking benedryl last night on the recommendation of a dermatologist, and also dabbed apple cider vinegar onto the spots, so we’ll see today if that helped at all. It’s amazing how easily it spreads.
Gardenerjoy: thanks for the reminder on how helpful it is to lift weights, I keep meaning to get back to that.
Penny- I hear you on going back to M-F, its a drag. But how flattering they were so interested in you!
Maryann- have a great trip!!
Karen- glad you’re having a nice time.
Bill- I love the deCordova, what fun to go with DGD. I have fond memories of that book from my childhood, and then my kids. How great she can read it!

Old 07-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

With some tweaks to both food and exercise, the scale has headed downward the last few days. Now to keep it going through the weekend with Home Chef and other challenges.

Exercise +40, 1055/1400 minutes for July

maryann: Happy travels!

BBE: What a great day with DGD and her mom!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #125  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight continues down. Still hobbling on my foot.

Bill, that is so exciting DGD is a new reader! I only had one kid start reading at 5. My three others started at 7. It's so magical when they cross over.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Amelia Earhart Day: (born 1897, Atchison, Kansas)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was going to a real brick-and-mortar library to search for books for the DGD. Was my first time in a children's section in 18 months. When I told the two young librarians tending the children's section that my DGD had just decided to read, they were so excited that they both left the front desk to help me find books. One had to stop herself and tend to the store. Was great to get a tour of the section from an experienced librarian who knew every book. Many recommendations were of books that we already own including the zillion Dr. Seuss books. The world knows about books for young readers. I brought home six. I do love the library.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though that plan included steak dinner with our two adult kids and their spouses. Our DS had touted Prime NY Steak as the best choice so we went to a local butcher shop only to find that they didn't sell Prime. Had to drive out to Costco. Fortunately, the amount that we needed for six adults and one carnivorous little kid was exactly the size of one of their packages. Even so, we had leftover that'll serve us for a dinner soon. My birthday cake was a watermelon with candles - a tradition that I started 15 years ago when I began this current journey and realized that the Boston Creme Pie that I so dearly loved was just one of many "just this once" indulgences that could go. The DGD blew out the candles for me. (The link is because I don't know if Boston Creme Pie is a local notion or not.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a scale headed in the right direction.

curlyjax - Ouch for your DS's poison ivy. Hope all your solutions help.

Penny. - Hope that foot unhobbles soon - especially since you use if professionally.

Readers -
Quote:

experiment 3 Prove to yourself that fullness kicks in.

If you practice eating slowly, you have a greater chance of feeling full as you finish all of the food on your plate.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #127  

Not much to report yesterday. I ended up ordering food due to a request from the offspring, and ate too much warm bread with butter, but saved a good portion of my dinner for today. I have a walk scheduled today after lunch with manfriend, so i'll get some exercise in, and i'll get his opinion on the leak as well as he's an engineer. It happens when someone is showering for a long time but its not from the shower drain so I don't know.
I've started looking at adult education classes at night brochures that will start up in the fall, and some are going to be held in person. I'm excited to do something fun, like taking an exercise class or a language. I want to structure my weekends and nights more now that i'll more time off; be productive but also do fun things.
Bill- I love the library too, best invention ever!
Old 07-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #128  
Green Tomatoes

St. Louis County and City reissued mask mandates late yesterday since we're at Very High Risk again and most of the state is Extremely High Risk. I never stopped wearing my mask for indoor activities where I don't know the vaccination status of everyone in the room. A lot of people did. I ran an errand at a grocery store yesterday and was only one of about three masked people.

Although, that means I picked an unfortunate day for a dentist appointment yesterday. The staff all wears masks but, obviously, not the patients. It felt good to get my teeth cleaned for the first time in a year and a half.

I've pledged to stay off Facebook and email today and for the next two days. If I want something that feels fresh and new, I'll go find some clips from the Olympics.

Exercise +35, 1090/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #129  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down another smidge. My smart scale app tells me I'm getting close to the normal weight range and my metabolic age is two years older than I am. I feel at least a decade older than I am.

Curly, taking classes is a great way to meet people too! I seem to have someone interested in me each time. Haha! I'm waiting until in person is back and I'll sign up for something again.

Bill, sounds like a really smart change to a watermelon cake for the birthday celebration, and I'm feeling almost ready for those kinds of changes. So sick of this roller-coaster. It takes a long time to shed that sense of entitlement.

Joy, I'm still wearing my mask too, and sometimes the only person.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #130  

Good morning coaches,

I got home yesterday afternoon. It was 73 degrees and raining. I can't believe all the rain we've had and it's drizzling even now. Lots of flooding in some areas and about 50 trees down on the golf course nearest us due to a micro burst. We haven't had a good monsoon season like this in quite awhile.

I had a really good visit with ds. I didn't learn to drive a quad and was quite satisfied just to ride. He has quite a bit of property so we took the quad up to the top of a hill and then I hiked up there many times. Yesterday I was heading up the hill and hoping to get to the top. First I saw a dear who ran off before I could get a photo. Next, just near the top, I ran in to a skunk. He jumped a little and was obviously startled. I turned around quick and headed back down the hill, without a photo of him either. I sure did not want to get sprayed. It's the first time I've seen a skunk while hiking.

Weight was up a couple of pounds so I'm drinking lots of water and doing what I need to do to get that back off pronto. We are going out to dinner tonight with some friends, so I'll have to keep lunch on the light side.

Penny Why would your scale ap say your metabolic age is 2 years older? Good for you for being so close to your normal weight range.

GardenerJoy I also had a long time between teeth cleanings. It sure made me be extra diligent with home care.

Curlyjax I'm sure it's fun to think about the ways you can spend your time when you have less work hours ahead of you.

Bill Your dgd is one smart little cookie. That is so cool that she is reading. What fun to choose books for her and to have the great assistance of the librarians. Your birthday cake sounds great. I'm hungry for watermelon.

Well better go change the laundry loads and get a list made for the grocery store. You all have a great Saturday!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Longshoreman Eric Hoffer of "The True Believer" born (1902, Bronx, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was a long bike ride along the Charles River. We traveled places we walked many times - covering more distance, of course. Kids were out at a public pool; packed together as if the pandemic is over. The outdoor beer garden was bustling with young adults. Many other bicycles but never felt crowded. A flock of about 100 Canada Geese crossed the bike path with no concern for any human. Was perfect temperature: the young were dressed for summer and we only wore our Polo shirts. A lovely, lovely, ride.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was "leftover" grilled salmon, spaghetti squash, a dab of leftover potato salad, and green salad - all consumed on the patio in the pleasant weather. A Gray Catbird bird visited the bird bath. The Blue Jay, Black capped Chickadee, Robins, and Northern Cardinals made themselves obvious. Nothing is flowering but it feels like a little Eden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I agree, wearing masks makes good sense even if the hordes don't.

Karen (karenrn) - Arizona does seem to do rain at the extremes. Hope the flooding isn't affecting you. Love the notion of having a nearby hill to climb.

curlyjax - Kudos for saving a good portion of your dinner for today.

Penny. - Congrats for getting your metabolic age so close to your real age.

Readers -
Quote:

experiment 3 Prove to yourself that fullness kicks in.

This sensation won't always happen simultaneously, however. It may take as long as 20 minutes to feel full after eating - which is why it's important to prove to yourself that fullness always set in, even if it takes a few minutes.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

I seem to be maintaining my weight this weekend, even with the Home Chef meals. I've sacrificed my adult beverages, which I'd been only consuming on weekends. As Penny noted, there's an entitlement issue there that drives resentment. But, I've also found that if I get busy doing something like making bright water color marks on paper, I don't really miss it.

I really liked yesterday's yoga routine. It was energizing. I probably should start keeping a log of which ones energize me and which ones drain me. I could do the draining ones in the late afternoon to help me sleep and the energizing ones in the morning to improve my mood for the whole day. I did an upper body routine that included a bunch of variations of laying on my stomach and lifting all my limbs. They feel uncomfortable when I doing them, but have lasting impact on my mood and posture. According to the teacher, they count as back bends and back bends are supposed to be mood boosters.

Exercise +40, 1130/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #133  

I had a nice walk with manfriend, and he helped me with two things in the house as well. He pointed out where the dripping was probably coming from in the shower and then leaking around the baseboard. It sounds like I need to clean up the gunk and re caulk it or put something there to help deflect the water when people take too long showers Ugh, this is the stuff I hate doing, and there isn't going to be a time when anything can dry for 24 hours until the kids are back at school, since everyone takes showers at different times.
I'm moving slowly today, still sitting in bed. It has suddenly started pouring which is cozy since i'm not out in it. I need to plan dinners and do groceries, ugh. i am not motivated to eat well, I have got to get myself back in gear! Although yesterday I bought swiss chard and beets, and did get my greens in at least.
Penny- I have never met anyone in adult ed classes, but then again I tend to take things that don't draw in the males that i'm looking for. I would be up for meeting new friends anyhow too.
Gardenerjoy- energizing yoga sounds great. When I'm working less hours at my new job, I'm going to get more of a stretching routine going with some nightime yoga.
Bill- yay for a lovely bike ride that wasn't too crowded, with you two wearing only polo shirts woo hoo!
Karen- so glad you had a nice time with DS, and that you avoided that skunk!
Old 07-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #134  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is coming down. Down 2.6 pounds for the week. My foot feels like it is getting better.

Karen, I don't really understand the "metabolic age" feature on my scale. I just know it's telling me I'm not acting my age, in a bad way. Thanks a lot, scale! That deluge of rain must be really bringing out the green. Someone mentioned Az is so much greener than they thought it would be on a trip right now.

Bill, that sounds like an idyllic day. Perfection!

Joy, sorry you had to cut the weekend drinks. Hopefully it's just a temporary necessity.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #135  

Good evening coaches,

Food has been on plan today and I am expecting to see the scale down a bit in the morning. We did go out to Mexican for dinner last night and it was really good. It was in a neighborhood that is a bit iffy, but the restaurant was really crowded and the food was excellent. I had enchiladas and it was not that super cheesy kind of Mexican. We had a great visit with our friends who we don't see often.

Today I had a really low key day. It was still raining off and on and it never got above low 80's. I think this is the last day for rain until later in the week. I am going to get up and do a 5 mile hike in the morning and then back to Bell Pass, my longer more strenuous hike the next day. I could have gone today but the Preserve doesn't really want people hiking when the trails are muddy, so by tomorrow they should be good. The husband of one of my group from work died last week so we'll go to his service tomorrow.

Penny Down 2.6 pounds is great. I'm hoping for that this week.

Curlyjax I would hate to deal with home maintenance and repair too. Part of it is the work and part of it would be the worry about how much it's going to cost.

GardenerJoy For me when I give up the adult beverages weight does usually go down and it's partly because when I have a drink or two my portion sizes increase or sometimes I add dessert etc.

Bill The bike rides sound really fun. I do have a bicycle hanging in the garage and one of these days I'll pull it down and try riding on the bike path again. The flooding isn't effecting us too much, but we did have to pump a few low places in the back yard. Dh's boss loaned us the small pump and I think we'll buy one.

Two weeks from today I leave for my next backpacking trip, so I'll try to stay focused with getting some hiking with the backpack on and finishing my food prep planning. We will have to carry 7 days worth of food in the bear can which will be pretty tight and heavy. In addition we'll be camping at Lodgepole for 3 nights before we head out so that we're acclimated to the elevation. I just hope the weather pattern changes a bit so that we don't have too many thunder showers. It makes the planning a little tougher, since you don't want to be up in a really exposed area in the afternoon if the lightening starts. When I start talking about my next backpack remind me that I don't want to do anything quite this long or strenuous after this year.
Closed Thread