Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #151  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is holding. So far today I've been following my plan except the portion of cantaloupe I ate was quite large at lunch time. It was a really good one.

I got up and did a shorter hike, but with a good hill with my weighted pack. I was just dripping due to the high humidity even though it was in the low 80's which isn't bad for here first thing in the a.m. After that I took Otis for a good walk and did a Costco run with mask. Lots of folks had masks on in Costco.

I just got back from taking dh back to work after he dropped his car off to have the windshield replaced. Hopefully this time the windshield will be right and they can install it. I need to call the financial guy and make an appointment to make the adjustments in my account that I'm not all that keen to make. I do know I need to do it though and will glad if the market takes a dive. I have been procrastinating about it, but will do it this afternoon. I also want to call my coworker who is newly widowed to touch base with her. She has eight grown children and about 5 of them live in the area, so I would imagine they will be quite helpful.

Penny Oh so nice that you were able to see some family.

GardenerJoy I hope all goes well at the doc.

Curlyjax It isn't the chicken that's expensive. It's the beef tenderloin steaks. That's one of the reasons we eat it so seldom. One of my hiking friends has had a problem with bees at her condo. There was actually honey coming through the wall. When the exterminators finally got to the hive, they had to remove about 45 pounds of hive and honey. Then last week before leaving for a trip her skylight was leaking (we had really big rain) and when she got home her a/c wasn't working. She is seriously thinking about moving. Anyway, I'm only saying this because she is as overwhelmed with house stuff as you are at times and I would be too.

Bill I'm glad your friend lives nearby so you can easily go visit on the correct day. I'm sure he really looks forward to the visit.

Okay, going to call the financial guy right now. I will report tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 AM   #152  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday- Five emissaries of Kublai Khan, Mongol Yuan dynasty, beheaded (1279, Japan)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chasing the (5.5 yo) DGD, CREDIT moi. She made a full 2.5 mile circuit on her little scooter while we walked. She identified a Great Blue Heron easily; it's as tall as she is and it stood perfectly still only 30 feet away. DW abandoned me to drive her home by myself so she could attend a lectured walk among some new plantings at Mount Auburn Cemetery. I was also invited, but one of us had to finish the day driving the DGD home. She assured me that the pithy little food offerings after the walk wouldn't amount to much. Wrong. She texted me a photo of her plate of top shelf appetizers. Apparently, the serious donors were also invited. That left me without dinner. When she got home, she made me an omelette - and - had brought me an ANZAC Biscuit. I'd say Anzac cookie, but apparently the Aussies would be bummed. It was an Anzac biscuit. Quite healthy full of oats and nuts and golden syrup. Also quite caloric even if one is clued in to call them a biscuit. Been around since the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps carried them during the First World War. Great name. All of which must justify the calories.

Eating was on plan with no other daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Missed my evening apple as well as the watermelon that's not yet finished. Both will last until another day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Exciting that both you and your DH are taking up the ukulele. I feel motivated to order a new mask from the Etsy site you posted. I need to do something to help motivate me during this new wave.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for taking responsible financial positions. Particularly those that recognize that none of us will be in the market forever.

curlyjax - Yay for getting paid to do a job review - never heard of that before. Seems that we do have to come to some understanding with the wildlife of the planet who want to share our home.

Penny. - Art from an 8 yo is just the best. There are no calories in food consumed in a dream - Kudos for a great idea.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 3 Prove to yourself that fullness kicks in.

what to do . . .

Make yourself a Response Card to read after meals:
Code:
If I feel hungry after a meal, I'll feel full within
20 minutes. I don't need to eat more, and
I always feel so much better when I don't overeat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 81.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

The new exterminator came and was a bit full of himself but was on time and will come back in a month, so at least its a reliable company.
Very bad news in the morning was my aunt had a stroke. She is the most healthy person I know so I was a little surprised. She does sound like she’s doing fairly well, biggest issue is comprehending and short term memory. Hopefully she’s going to rehab and then we’ll see. She doesn’t have kids and i’m physically the closest so i’m fielding the calls. I was planning to visit my dad next week anyhow so will probably stick to that, as we’ll know more then (she’s there too). She does have a very good long term friend who can help figure out some plans for the future, as she lives alone and is quite independent. You would think this would impel me to be healthier but I did some stress eating. However today is a new day. Yeesh.
Karen- ah, that makes more sense that its steak that is so pricey. Wow, I cannot imagine having something like that in your walls! And I thought moving to a condo would have less house problems, geez. Good luck with financial guy, I put off that stuff too.
Gardenerjoy- the ukelele does sound fun! Thanks for the masks link, i still struggle with my glasses fogging up too.
Penny- how lovely you were able to hold your new niece! What a nice visit. Too funny about your dream.
Bill-that’s definitely a cookie! So interesting the different meanings words have.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #154  
Green Tomatoes

The doctor's appointment was almost anti-climactic. Aside from one of us having cancer, we're pretty healthy!

I got my official diagnosis of hyperparathydroidism, based on last year's blood numbers, but it's very much in a watch-and-wait state and may stay there forever. The parathyroid glands are little glands near the thyroid that help get calcium to bones. Sometimes one or more of them gets over-activated. That's detected in a blood test as calcium that's too high and Vitamin D that's too low.

Potential kidney and bone problems are the reason to keep an eye on things. Boosting Vitamin D is the easy solution. If that doesn't keep things in check, they may eventually want to remove one or more of the parathyroid glands.

I told him that I'd given up the progression to yoga arm stands based on the fear of breaking bones and he encouraged me to get back to them -- weight-bearing exercise is going to be my friend, here.

Exercise +35, 1285/1400 minutes for July

curlyjax: As a childless person, I want to thank you for taking point on your aunt. I'm very much hoping that DH's nephew will do that for me, if needed, one day. Because I'm not sure who else will take it on. I am carefully maintaining friendships with some 20-somethings as one back-up-plan. Another is monitoring both my finances and the changing landscape of eldercare, especially continuing care facilities.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #155  

Good morning coaches,

I had a couple of beers yesterday and then had some sweets after dinner. None of those things were on the plan and the scale was up this morning; big surprise. I'm wanting to beat myself up, but I know that isn't helpful. I did call the financial guy yesterday and left a message that we would like to meet with him in the next week or so. I also had an hour long phone call with my former co-worker whose husband's funeral we went to on Monday. I slept poorly last night and I think I'm beginning to worry about packing the food for the upcoming backpacking trip. I think I'll just pull it all out today and see how it goes. It's a squeeze to get it all in the bear can for a week of hiking. Almost everything can be packed now except that I'll buy some tortillas right before we go. Otis goes to the groomer today, so that takes time out of the middle of the day to medicate him, take him and then pick him up.

GardenerJoy I'm glad your only health issue is a wait and see thing. I hear you about having some concern about care as we get older. I do have ds, but I think he may be living in Thailand pretty much full time by then. Lord only knows what will really happen though. It is just a phone call away, but then a long flight. I hope to talk dh into moving back to Washington before we have problems so we are nearer brothers and nieces and nephews.

Curlyjax I hope your Aunt does well and recovers memory and comprehension. I know these days the thoughts on rehab are much different that years ago in that now they feel recovery can continue for a very long time. My Mom had a small bleed stroke once and when the blood reabsorbed in about a month she was almost as good as new.

Bill The ANZAC biscuit story is interesting and they sound very good. I love anything with a coconut flavor.

Okay, I'm going to pull out the bear can and the food and see how it goes.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #156  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Curly, that's too bad about your aunt. I can understand the stress eating.

Bill, it almost seems like pre-pandemic times for you guys, your wife attending a garden walk. The biscuit looks good.

Joy, it's scary how many ways our bodies can turn on us. Sending a little note to tell your parathyroid to behave. I'm glad it's not an emergency and vitamin D helps.

Karen, packing food for a week on the trail does sound tough. Kudos for getting your financial planning scheduled.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday- Emily Bronte of "Wuthering Heights" born (1818, Thornton, Yorkshire, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Visited my friend - on the right day this time. Had a lovely visit. It's so heartening to watch a person recovering from a stroke when each visit sees more speech and more body movement. The pause before responding was shorter; the sentences longer. He even related the entire plot of the last movie he'd seen - a feat that would have been impossible just a few weeks before. A warm and fuzzy visit.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled shrimp along with a baked sweet potato, spinach, and my always-there green salad. DW came back from our community garden with six cukes. Yikes! When they arrive, they arrive all together. Plans to buy some yogurt today so she can make a cucumber salad - one of my favorites.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for your relatively healthy report from the doctor. I hate the "watch-and-wait state" situations. Feels like the doctor is hoping I'll just pass on before he has to do anything.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for making the phone call to the financial guy. Good start.

curlyjax - Sorry to hear about your aunt's stroke. I hope that she has the type of recovery that my friend is having.

Penny. - I do fear that this feeling of "pre-pandemic times" will deter us from facing the Delta variant with the seriousness that it deserves.

Readers -
Quote:

experiment 3 Prove to yourself that fullness kicks in.

what to do . . .

When you contact your Diet Buddy tonight, report on your Stage 1 Success Skills and the conclusions you have drawn from this experiment. Continue to set a timer after every meal until you firmly believe that fullness always sets in. You may have to do this experiment 10 or 20 times or even more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 81.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:37 AM   #158  

Not much new about my aunt. Looking back and talking to her close friend, it seems that she has had memory issues over the year, and some vision as well, which may be related to all this. Anyhow, I’m encouraged how well she is doing 3 days out, and Karen as you said, the thinking these days that recovery can last a long time is good. I’ve been calling some places to see what help is available, and I have a family friend who may be able to help find things as well. Its going to be complicated helping from a distance but she does have a support network there which is good.

Gardenerjoy-my brother and I always knew we would be there for our aunt. We have a very small but close family. Sounds like you are planning well for the future. I remember my mom telling me to cultivate younger friends so they could drive me fun places at night! I seem to have cultivated friends older than me instead, ah well.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #159  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and no change to weight. Busy day of work ahead. Have a great day, everyone.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

We got DH's first post-op PSA this morning. Zero would have been ideal. He got 0.1, which is the lowest you can get above zero. We'll see the urologist next week to figure out the plan.

We were prepared for the worst -- if the number had been 1 or 2, it would have meant aggressive treatment of both testosterone reduction and radiation, sooner rather than later. This isn't the best, but it's not the worst, so we're not quite sure what will be recommended.

Meanwhile, I will plug along with working on my best practices for sleep, exercise, and eating. Today's goal is to work through a routine to improve my dolphin pose in yoga. Yoga Pose | Dolphin Pose | Build Strength and Comfort for Inversions (yogajournal.com)

Exercise +40, 1330/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #161  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is very slowly going back down. I hiked this morning and food has been on plan. I was able to get myself on the trail because I wanted to continue listening to a book that I think Maryann recommended, The Giver of Stars. I'm really enjoying it. I went to see the movie Stillwater this afternoon with my mask on. Not too many in the theater. The movie was actually better than I thought it would be, but a bit disturbing.

GardenerJoy My dh is more than 10 years out from prostatectomy and he has been fine. If I remember correctly his first PSA was a tiny bit higher and they've come down. I hope that is how it is for your dh.

Penny Don't work too hard.

Curlyjax I'm glad your aunt is making progress. Getting older is not for sissies at all. I was so glad to move my parents to my town near the end of my Dad's life and then my Mom was there for 4 more years which we both loved. Is your brother in the same town as your Dad?

Bill Glad your visit with your friend was good and so nice to hear he is making progress. Yes, my financial stuff is nearly done, just have to go in and make the investment changes. It won't take long and I have pretty much decided what I want to do. He might be happier with me switching it all over, but I've decided to keep half of what I have in the investments they are in now and make changes with the proceeds from the rest.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - The oldest recorded eruption of Mt. Fuji (781, Japan)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Splendid walk, CREDIT moi, with DW in an area developed to capture excess storm water but done as a neat environmental wonder. The month's heavy rains had caused all greenery to grow tall so that each walkway was visibly isolated like a maze. Super neat. Saw Mallards, a Great blue Heron, and a couple of Wood Ducks, as well as many song birds. Not many other people out there. Had to rush home because DW wanted to go to a sale of native plants - "Just to look; I don't need anything." Ha! In fairness, she did only come home with one Christmas Fern that she'll donate to one of the other areas she tends. Our little yard has no more room.

To have our cucumber salad for dinner, I had to go forage for plain Greek yogurt. Cucumber salad will be in our future for a couple of weeks. Since it was near rush hour, I didn't want to drive to the supermarket that was sure to have it. I walked to the corner store just hoping. And they had just what we needed. Yay for the guys that keep little stores going. Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, with a light caloric day given that dinner had only pasta salad with the cucumber salad. A typical hot summer dinner even though it isn't hot right now.

Evening entertainment was watching Bette Davis in The Little Foxes. Even though the movie is 80 years old, it wasn't the youngest Bette Davis. Great fun. Tried to convince DW that this was what the deep South was like when I was a kid. So many movies out there to be watched.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for pretty good news about your DH even when ideal would feel better. That Dolphin Pose looks a bit of a challenge for anyone over 20.

Karen (karenrn) - Stillwater looks like it'd be tough to watch. Love the notion that an audio book helped motivate you to hike.

curlyjax - Good to hear that your aunt is doing well enough for you to be encouraged.

Penny. - Happy beginning of your work week. Are you and your DD still reading Harry Potter to each other?

Readers -
Quote:

experiment 4 Prove to yourself that you can stop eating.

Now you now hunger is not an emergency and fullness does set in. What do you do when you still want more?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 82.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #163  

I came home exhausted again and took a quick nap instead of going for a walk. I still managed to sleep better last night fortunately. Only two more work days left next week and there's a lot to pack in those days, i'm so ready to be done.
Today I'm going to a food truck throwdown and craft fair with two folks from church. I'm not sure how it all works but its bound to be fun, and the weather is perfect. i think I'll have a little yogurt this morning so I won't be too hungry at lunch and then overeat. Its all outside so I feel okay about going. Other than that its another exciting day of groceries, chores, and thinking about my upcoming trip to visit family. I do hope I get a few days to myself after my trip, there's some planning/organizing I want to do.
Penny- yay for continued onplan always!
Gardenerjoy-I echo that good is always good. I have met a lot of older guys who had prostrate cancer and are doing great years later.
Karen- my older brother lives in DC. My younger brother has autism and lives in a group home near my dad (and my older brother is taking over managing that from afar thank goodness). But my aunt has lived alone for years and is very independent with everything, so I'm hopeful with supports and recovery she will remain so for awhile. Good for you for dealing with the financial stuff.
Bill-that walk sounds wonderful. yay indeed for walking to a store, I do miss being able to do that.
Wave to Maryann and Onebyone.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #164  

Good morning.

Yesterday was on plan and weight is up. I guess it's nice to know I would last a long time in a food shortage situation. Last week I was down over two pounds, and this week they are back.

Joy, I hope that is good news for your dh. Karen's experience sure makes it sound good!

Bill, we have stalled out on the Harry Potter books, near the start of book 5. My daughter got sidetracked by another series, and we both needed a break. Hopefully we come back to it soon.

Today is going to be one of those days that reminds me why I never want to do home health full time. I'm going to be thoroughly beat up by my too full schedule and difficult wound care.

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 07-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #165  
Green Tomatoes

DH got a call from the GP -- he thinks 0.1 is as good as 0 on a PSA. Let's hope the urologist thinks the same.

Yesterday's shopping trip was among fully-masked people. There are some places in the County where the new mask mandate is controversial, but not so much where I live and shop. Credit for buying salmon when I realized that our Home Chef wasn't going to make it as expected yesterday. That meant we had a healthy meal last night instead of last-minute take-out. The scale rewarded me this morning.

I enjoyed this workout featuring the dolphin pose: Wrist Free Yoga Flow for Core and Shoulder Strength featuring Dolphin Pose - YouTube. There are lot of those standing balancing poses that I still invariably fall out of, but I could see improvement even during the one workout. There were also lots of gentle back bending poses and I'm sure that's what boosted my mood all day. The teacher, James, has a calm voice with a British accent, which probably also helped.

Exercise +45, 1375/1400 minutes for July
Closed Thread