Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #46  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is stable. I did the indoor exercises and will do that again today. It is 91 degrees outside at 5 a.m. I will take Otis for a walk soon. At 7 a.m. I'm going to try to make a reservation for camping at Lodgepole at Sequoia for the couple of nights before our next backpack. I am not optimistic, but we have a back up plan to camp in my "nephew's" yard. He works at Lodgepole and has the last worker's cabin in a row, so it wouldn't likely be noticed. Yesterday I spoke with my other friend who will be doing the next backpack. She just finished doing most of the other half of the Tahoe Rim Trail that we did and it sounds like there was more water. Maybe we'll do that next year.

The Rita Moreno movie was very good. Maybe 5 people in the theater. Movies are one of the things that are great to do in the heat during the summer here. I want to see The Price of Freedom, Respect, Mama Weed, and The Lonliest Whale. They aren't all out just yet. I especially want to see Respect with Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin. Today's plan includes meeting a friend for lunch, which will be great. I don't see her often and we usually do an easier hike, but lunch will be great to really be able to visit.

One other thing, dh's mood has been so much better since he changed jobs. It even seems like he has more energy. He is usually very even tempered and pleasant and he is that way again.

Curlyjax Having more time with your new job sounds just terrific. I am so happy for you.

Bill I sure with you could share a bit of your rain with us. I doubt dw would let you send it our way though. I think you would probably like the Rita Moreno movie, no need for much Hollywood background.

Maryann I am envious of your hiking. You are doing great! We have a salt water pool, maybe I'll get in it again this weekend.

Penny I'm with you, I would much prefer to exercise outdoors. Some of my friends have gone back to the gym, but I never liked the gym anyway so I'm not rejoining, at least not yet.

GardenerJoy Exercise doesn't stand a chance of getting off of your plan.

Waving to Onebyone and CJZee.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My day went according to plan, but I veered off my food plan for an afternoon treat while running an errand. Ha! My resistance muscle is more prepared to act when things are going a little haywire but got lax when things got back to normal. Good to know. I can have a talk with my resistance muscle about that.

Exercise +45, 350/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Phone check in: last day in Ontario. We did the Mr Baldy peak and It felt great. Perfect weather which was a blessing because it has been wayyyyy to hot recently. I didn’t do the last 500 feet in elevation to 10 ,600 because I had time constraints but I know I could do it.

This has been one of the best summers of my life. Interesting that I have been so removed from a more disciplined food plan and the scale. When I get 30000 steps in for a day I figure I can let go some. It will be interesting when I am back for the weekend what the scale reads

Wave to all
Old 07-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #49  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good evening!

I thought I posted this morning but I'll check in quick tonight. Food was on plan and weight stayed the same.

Today's calories were maintenance level at 1600, so I assume I'll stay the same again tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend , everyone !
Old 07-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday-Lady Godiva rides naked to force her husband to lower taxes (1040, Coventry)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Hurricane/Tropical-Storm Elsa passed over us dumping about 2.5 inches of rain with little wind. Watched rivers of water run down the street. By late afternoon, it was over. After dinner, DW and I walked for an hour on the streets with elegant houses just enjoying the fresh smell of a VERY cleansed city. Found ourselves looking in awe at the impeccable quality of maintenance of some of the Victorian Houses. With one eye I see their beauty; with the other I see dollar signs going to painters. We encountered a male American Turkey looking agitated. He took a running start and flew to a low limb in the nearest tree. Then, after a rest, flew up four feet to a higher branch; then to the one above. The owner of a three-month old puppy walking nearby scooped up his pup and headed off. That dog would be no match for that Tom.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was dahl - perfect for the chilly weather. Ate the other half of the yellow melon for dessert/evening snack. Two neighborhood girls, about 10 years old, showed up at the door selling homemade oobleck slime! $1 for a small container, $3 for a larger one. I gave them $5 for the larger one - gotta encourage young entrepreneurs. DW quickly brought out our own container since she's grown to dislike odd sized plastic containers filling up space. We'll have a new way to make a mess next time the DGD is over.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at getting caught off guard by a day going to plan.

maryann - Yikes! 30000 steps is a bunch of moving. Congrats for being able to turn around when that close to the top instead of forcing a situation that could go bad.

Karen (karenrn) - Hard to believe that the theaters will stay in business with only five people at a showing. That's a great list of movies. Particularly want to see Respect.

curlyjax - Neat set of plans for your extra time.

Penny. - Maintenance level is good. Enjoy the start of your work weekend.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

Many dieters think that they should never be hungry and that feeling hungry is somehow bad or wrong.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 76.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I had an interesting chat with a client yesterday. He said he joined the army at 16 to go to Korea, as did 12 other friends, and only 3 came back. I can't imagine letting my son do that (they did have to have parental permission) but maybe financial circumstances dictated it. He is a charming but stubborn cuss who isn't making the best choices but there you have it. I have met a lot of veterans during my recent work, its pretty interesting.
I did get to take a walk after work so credit for that. I keep meaning to get back into starting up the weights but then it doesn't happen. Today I'm meeting a former colleague for lunch at a place with wondrous muffins. I may bring some back for the kiddos, we'll see, but I'm making a plan to get a nice salad. I also need to do groceries, dump run, bills, and really need to henna my hair, the roots are really showing. We'll see what gets done!
Karen- glad DH is happier, that does indeed make life better for all. They say "happy wife, happy life" but that counts for husbands too! Great to have a backup plan for Lodgepole.
Gardenerjoy- I need to find my resistance muscle, then have a talk with it!
Maryann-so glad you're having a great summer. you're getting a taste of retirement!
Penny- great job maintaining 1600 calories
Bill-yes, I can't imagine maintaining a beautiful house like that unless I had pots of money. Glad to hear children are still making things and selling them.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #52  

Good morning coaches,

I had a couple of beers and unplanned dessert yesterday and decided not to get on the scale until Monday. I am doing my home exercises, but not near enough burning of calories to make up for the treats. I'm okay with it. Sometimes a gal just needs a treat. I did go out to lunch with a friend which was so enjoyable and had a very low calorie salad. This summer so far is so much better than last summer. Just being able to get out of town and do a few things in town is making a world of difference. I still am not crazy with the heat, but at least I'm not intent on moving this year.

I was able to get a couple of campsites booked for the three days before our High Sierra Trail hike. They aren't next to each other but I'm just happy to have them booked. I was able to use my senior pass to reduce the cost to $11 a night for one of them and the other is only $22 per night. I also am feeling so much better overall because I know I did well on the backpacking trip and I'm not worried about hiking with my backpack between now and then. I will get out if the temps cool down and I will get out when I'm in Oregon for a few days, but I'm not panicked about it.

I think I'll go see The Lonliest Whale this morning when I imagine not many others will be there. Then this evening we're having dinner with a friend.

Bill I didn't ever realize the slime could be made at home. I'm sure dgd will love it. That turkey sounds scary. I would probably even carry Otis. Wow are you ever getting a lot of rain.

Penny Good job staying on plan.

Maryann I'm glad you're having such a good summer. Kind of sounds like retirement.

GardenerJoy I guess I will have to talk to my resistance muscle too. I didn't even think about it last night when I was having dessert.

Curlyjax I ready your post after I finished mine. Sounds like you've got a food day planned for yourself, both productive things and some social. I bet you hear some interesting stories.

Well I guess I'll get moving and get a few things done before the movie which is at 9:45.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

I'm checking in late because I started a small, well-defined organizing project yesterday that almost immediately ate my whole office. I just now got it back under control. The results are good though -- the gazillion papers that one collects while playing with multi-media art are now neat and filed into categories to make it easier to find what I want. I'm feeling very inspired! Who would have thought that organization could be a source of inspiration?

Exercise +45, 350/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #54  

Another later check-in. 900 calories finishes my day. I wish I could eat more but my body is so darn efficient with its use of energy.

Work involved two very grumpy men. I'll never understand people who are baseline angry. One more work day to go!
Old 07-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - U. N. World Population Day (since 1987, UN Development Programme)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A splendid day without rain or wind. Everything is overgrown everywhere - as if we lived in the tropics. Walking paths through wooded areas are closed over because of the overgrown plantings. A glorious feeling. My plan this morning is to watch Richard Branson, the British billionaire, blast into space on Sunday from New Mexico aboard a rocket made by his company Virgin Galactic at 9:00 AM ET. I'll be cheering even though Jeff Bezos rather snittily points out that Branson won't be actually going into "space" by Jeff Bezos's definition of the boundary of space. But that Bezos will be crossing that line later on his rocket made by his company, Blue Origin. Love having a good distraction from serious issues like temperature at 130 degrees F on Friday in Death Valley, California.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio was grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, baked sweet potato, and green salad - getting back into our routine. It's that sweet time when the temperature is not too hot and not too cold. Evening snack was a Honey Crisp Apple because my much loved Cosmic Crisp weren't available. Hope that that's only temporary.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congratulations for organizing your whole office. Green with jealousy here.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, "Sometimes a gal just needs a treat." Seems that it's winning to recognize that it's done and to move forward.

curlyjax - Sad story of the sixteen year old man marching off to the Korean War. Hard to imagine the pain of a returning veteran whose friends didn't come back with him.

Penny. - I seem to be demonstrating that one achieves the status of "very grumpy men" one day at a time. Apparently, working on it, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

You may even wonder, Shouldn't I eat when I'm hungry?" Actually, the answer is, "You should eat only if it's time to eat."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 76.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I had a nice lunch with my former colleague and got all the gossip she could never tell me when she was still working. I did choose a salad with chicken. Then I went home and ate a beatifully frosted brownie and took a nap. I did henna my hair which takes two hours, and did some chores. That filled up the day. This morning I'm supposed to go kayaking with someone but I may bail; I didn't sleep well and my hip is hurting me. I'll get out with it someday!
Karen-I echo you that this summer is so much better than last year for sure!
Bill-Everything is indeed overgrown and lush, its quite beautiful!
Off to get bagels for DS and coffee for me! happy Sunday everyone!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

Today's project is to plan the next month or so and, from that, the coming week. Planning is one of my favorite things, so I expect it to be a good day and I have lots of tools to make that happen (and to get me back on track if things veer into grumpy territory).

I also have a food plan including the leftovers from last night's Home Chef meal that I liked better than DH did and, for supper, our second meal from this week's Home Chef box. Both feature shrimp. I'll probably add some veggies to tonight's meal because I don't think they gave us enough. I have some broccoli that will work if I chop it small.

Exercise +35, 485/1400 minutes for July

Penny: Thanks for the expression "baseline angry." I've been working through some issues related to that and a phrase to describe it helps. I don't get it either.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Wow. Back on my couch with a laptop. Luxury.

Yesterday's activity was ill advisedly working 5 hours in my front yard in 100 + degrees. It is interesting that when I am passionate about something I throw discomfort to the wind. I was determined to landscape the first of two sections in our front yard that had been decimated by pulling huge trees out. DH refuses to call in a professional because he thinks our water will be cut off with the drought. I couldn't live one more minute with our front yard looking like two meteors hit it. I took the smaller of the sections which is a lovely trianglish shape with contours. I dug out the dead grass, bought two beautiful large glazed pots ( one slightly smaller than the other), arranged them with a decorator rock and surviving day lily, and then put some decorator mulch around. 5 hours.I think it looks great. When I get back from Peru I will plant the planters and surrounding ground with native drought tolerant plants. I will attack the larger second section tomorrow,. I have taken a giant ALLEVE pill this morning

And despite all the exercise of the week I am four pounds above ticker. Drat!!!! Oh well. I know my body is holding onto to water and I have let my Greger tweaks lapse due to all the travelling. I will hop back on but probably tomorrow. Today we are off to San Francisco to meet up with college friends for a brunch.

gardenerjoy: How is DH doing?
BBE: Lush would be a dream for us.
curleyjax:Weekends when you are working are about stuffing the mundane into a small space and then sleeping. Boy do I love summer because I can actually make the big plans.
Penny: Credit for a 900 calorie day.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #59  

Good morning!

Weight did come down a little and I'll plan on the same 900 calorie menu again today.

Joy, I should say "baseline angry" can be a form of depression. I find these people often say they don't have depression, but their family members encourage/get them on an antidepressant when they can't take it anymore and it helps some.

Maryann, good job tackling the yard project. I bet it looks great!

Old 07-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #60  

Good morning coaches,

Food was off plan yesterday, including dinner out, and weight is up this morning. No big surprise. I wasn't going to get on the scale, but I kind of know what happens when I don't, so figured it would be best to see the number and get back on track. I didn't get to the movie yesterday because I remembered Verizon was supposed to call at 10, but they didn't. Not sure what happened, but I guess I need to call them. Trying to get dh's cell service transferred to his employer so they can pay the bill as long as he is working. Today I have done my in home exercises and that feels good to be consistent about that.

I got an email from the friend who I just did the TRT with and she is uncertain whether to do our next backpack. She is a bit worried because the TRT was hard for her and the next one will likely be tougher. I wasn't surprised at the email, but I wish there was time to get someone else on the trip. At this time there are 2 of us that are for sure. It just seems safer to have 3 because it is not as busy, but I will go. I feel like my window is closing for really strenuous, higher altitude trips, even though I felt fine on the last one.

Penny Do you eat a lot of veggies when you are cutting back to 900 calories, to help feel full enough?

Maryann Good job on the yard. That sounds like a lot of work. I bet you're still retaining water with all that heat and exercise.

GardenerJoy I need to get a good plan going. I like that feeling when I get excited about a plan, but I'm not there right now. Of course I know what some of my plans are.

Curlyjax I love to get caught up on gossip. Nothing malicious of course, but just to know what's going on.

Bill Your overgrown everywhere comment reminds me of how Washington looks in mid summer compared to Arizona. So lush and green! You know we only had the Cosmic Crisp apples here for a very short time. I did enjoy them while they were available.

Have a great day all of you. The Phoenix Suns are in the basketball playoffs so we have been enjoying watching those games. There is a game at 5 pm today. Go Suns!
Closed Thread