Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #76  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down.

I've got to navigate meeting someone at a cafe at 5pm, when I normally like to finish calories for the day after lunch. I might just have to choose healthy and practice getting back on plan right after.

Have a nice day, everyone!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I keep prowling for food and though it is all healthy choices it is just too much. One of the reasons I think I am practicing this OLD habit is I am just beat from all the yard work and heat. This too shall pass. I have just one more work day and then I am going to head up to Truckee to get my last set of hikes in.

Karen: Thank goodness for REI return policy.
BBE: LOL with the free Subway. DH and DS a few years ago went for the free 7 Eleven slurpy. There was a line out the door with a 6 ounce cup at the end. DH said he never go on that day again.
Penny: Good idea to stick with choosing healthy.
Curleyjax: My friend just had some nice head shots taken. I wouldn't mind doing that. For what, I don't know. It is just that school pictures every year are the worst.
gardernerjoy: Good to remember food doesn't solve anything but hunger.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - The Rosetta Stone found (1799, Rosetta, Egypt)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. One excitement was a different playground that had structures that she'd never seen. She explored with joy - fun to watch. At the Boston Museum of Science she watched the entire Electricity Show that produced huge lightning from the world's largest Van der Graaf Generator with corresponding loud bangs. Sat through it all. Later, her mom told her that she'd not been able to sit through that as a kid visiting with me.

Two communication failures: 1) DD had shown us her first two cherry tomatoes. When we got home DW went to our plants and came in and excitedly handed me one; I gobbled it, "Delicious as ever," feeling good. DW turned pale, "You ate it!" Apparently, handing a man a cherry tomato is not a gift to eat immediately but an object to hold in the hand, admire, and discuss. Now I know.

2) DW told the DGD, after the fact, that swallowing that cherry pit wouldn't hurt her; not to worry. The DGD interpreted that to mean that forever in life she didn't need to spit out cherry pits. Caused a fury at her dinner table in the evening when both her mom and dad told her she had to spit it out the pit. "Grandmom says I don't have to." Ooops. We gotta watch exactly what we say to a budding lawyer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder, "food isn't the cure for fatigue."

maryann - Love the image, "prowling for food." I sympathize with your DH's trip for the FREE slurpy.

curlyjax - Kudos for avoiding the dessert tray when out with friends. Fun to read that you just went to the library like that was normal.

Penny. - Meeting folks does challenge staying an eating plan. Good luck.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

Some diet programs encourage you to fill up on such "free foods" as raw vegetables to avoid hunger. The problem with that advice is that you never learn to tolerate the very normal sensation of hunger. And when free foods aren't easily available, you are likely to fill up on other foods.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 76.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I went out to dinner with a friend to catch up and brought some of it home for today's lunch. I did indulge in a margarita but asked them to use less alcohol since I know i'm deydrated. It was very good and so nice to be out just like in normal times. I haven't got any formal exercise in but am trying to walk a bit more during my work day, if only in circles around a large room. Tonight i'm getting my hair trimmed after work- my hairdresser doesn't know i've been dyeing it myself with henna so we'll see how she reacts! Then I really have to start getting ready for my trip. So excited to be going somewhere!
Gardenerjoy-I do find when I've overtired i'm more hungry, and then its even more of a challenge to negotiate that.
Bill- Your dtr may be worried about DGD choking on the cherry pit is what i'm thinking. yes, little kids are often budding lawyers!
Penny-I'm impressed with your eating timeframe of stopping at 5. I bumped into a friend who is 74 and she is doing the same thing, I was quite impressed.
Maryann-I'm sure you are beat! you are certainly expanding lots of calories with all your work.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #80  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was a bit off plan yesterday and weight is up a little. My friend was here for a bit in the morning and my schedule was a little off. This morning I headed out to hike but there was a bit of lightening that was getting closer. I ended up turning around and coming home. I'm sure it would have been okay, but I thought dying from a bolt of lightening hiking the High Sierra Trail would be one thing, but doing the Gateway Loop would not be an okay way for me to die.

No real plans for the day except to pre-track meals, drink all my water and do home exercises. Also, I ordered a new hose for the vacuum which arrived, so I guess I will do some vacuuming.

Curlyjax Socializing these days seems so special.

Bill I still think it would be fun to be dgd and go to all the places you take her.

Maryann Don't work too hard and do enjoy your hiking at Tahoe.

Penny Can you just make your window for eating a little later? Start later and finish a little later?

GardenerJoy I hope your headache is gone. Luckily I don't seem to get as many as I used to.

Well, I guess I'll pre track my food for the day in MFP and think about some breakfast. I'm thankful to have so much time to just think about what I'd like to do. I feel almost anticipatory about something, but I'm not sure what. I'll find something to get jazzed up about. Have a great day!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #81  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday wasn't my best effort in keeping to a food plan. Moving on to a better day today, including planned prep time so that when it's time to eat, I have the healthy options readily available.

Exercise +30, 685/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #82  

Good morning!

I ended yesterday with 1600 calories and am up two pounds today. Sounds about right. lol

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #83  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Today I had a wonderful hike to Mt. Rose. I shaved 27 mins off my last time when I climbed the 10.7 out and back trail.. That made me happy. The weather here is cooler. I took a bath when I came home and promptly fell asleep. Viva la summer vacation. I must remind myself this evening that a workout doesn't give me a free pass for prowling.

I am listening to Project Hail Mary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FFJS3YW...ng=UTF8&btkr=1. It is by the same author as The Martian. It is super fun. If BBE with his rocket scientist ways and I (with my superior understanding of the Hero's journey) could read it with one brain, we would be able to completely appreciate it. As it is, I let the science float free of gravity above my head and enjoy the adventure. I highly recommend it.
Karen: i set up my Garmin and sent my first text to DH. He respond. i felt like i had walk on the moon.
Penny: Sometimes weighing everyday doesn't feel like a very good idea.

Wave to all
Old 07-16-2021, 06:54 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Kissing banned to stop the Black Death from spreading (1439, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Super excitement was the movie, Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised). Raised deep memories of 1969. Wasn't just the music, the movie captured that era. Had no idea that Nina Simon was such a mesmerizing stage presence. Sly and the Family Stone were a big part to the show. Mahalia Jackson owned the stage. Gladys Knight and the Pips were so very very young. The Harlem Cultural Festival was a string of performances over six weeks held in New York Mount Morris Park but apparently, no one except the 50,000 who attended ever heard about it. It overlapped the first NASA manned lunar landing so that's my excuse. It's a must see.

Eating was on plan with no snacks, CREDIT moi. At the theater I was pleased to observe that I wasn't drawn to the standard movie fare of popcorn and large sugar drinks. This theater also served top shelf ice cream from a much loved local vendor. All that was for someone else. Not about me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - The movie mentioned that Billy Davis, Jr. of The Fifth Dimension was from Saint Louis. I still listen to The Age of Aquarius with reverence. It's hard to remember to schedule prep time.

maryann - Love the notion of reading Hail Mary with you. Added it to my Reading List.

Karen (karenrn) - I agree, if you're going to die by lightning, it should be on an admired trail, LOL. Congrats for getting the right hose for your vacuum.

curlyjax - LOL at surprising your hair stylist. Maybe she won't recognize you. Fun to be planning a drive to Maine.

Penny. - The scale penalizes good behavior. But Kudos for a modest calorie day despite it.

Readers -
Quote:

Phillip doubted his ability to tolerate hunger, and he engaged in certain unhelpful behaviors to avoid it. He was always thinking about how, when, and where he could get food, in case he got hungry before his next meal.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

I'm celebrating that I'm half-way through my exercise goal, half-way through the month.

Besides the minutes, I've also continued my streak of strength-training every three days. Most of it's yoga, but I've also started doing inclined push-ups and supported deep squats. It's fun to see progression on those.

I've been motivated by a young person on YouTube who is really enthusiastic about progressive calisthenics and has some good practical tips for how to do it. I also get a kick out of his advice to younger folks, given how young he is. It's pretty good advice, though. Hybrid Calisthenics - YouTube

Exercise +55, 740/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #86  

Good morning!

Yesterday ended at just over 1200 calories and weight remains up.

Bill, the movie sounds great! Kudos for avoiding the snack temptation.

Joy, I'll be watching the video as soon as I finish this reply. Thanks for sharing, and good job on keeping up with your exercise minutes.

Karen, Yes, don't die on a sub-par trail. Haha!

Maryann, you are going to be so strong for your Peru trip!
Old 07-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #87  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food is on plan and weight is holding. I got up and hiked the Gateway Loop with my 25 pound pack this morning. The temp wasn't bad, 86 or so, but it was really humid. My head is what sweats most on me and it was just dripping. In the last 15 minutes or so it started to sprinkle, which actually felt good. A few hours later we actually got a good rain for a couple of hours. I went to the movies to see the Anthony Bourdain film and the streets were dry by the time I came out. The movie was pretty good, but I actually liked him less after the movie. Our High Sierra Hike is down to just two of us. My TRT backpacking friend has a hip problem and her daughter doesn't think she can do the altitude. I'm okay with it. Joanne and I have lots of experience and in a way it will be easier not to have to compromise on the plan quite as much.

I have an acquaintance that I actually "met" on the MFP ap. I just want to mention that he does beautiful photography. The reason I'm bringing it up is that he lives in MO and on his FB page this morning he had some beautiful photos of that area and I thought of GardenerJoy. Take a look at his site, Joekoppart.com, when you have a few minutes to spare. Lots of beautiful outdoor shots from many states. He has a particularly beautiful photo of Mt. Rainier with the Milky Way that he took at 3 a.m.

I've purchased a few of the food items I need for the next backpack and only have a couple more things to pick up. I buy my Macadamia nuts at Costco because I think their price is best for as many as I take. I purchased a couple of freeze dried dinners that I like at REI and a couple other things at Trader Joe's yesterday. Backpacking is about the only time that I don't have to at least be somewhat thoughtful of the calories I'm eating.

Penny I'm hoping you get a nice drop in weight soon.
GardenerJoy I just took a short look at the video, but will go back to it. Seems like a great guy.
Bill I liked that movie too. Really liked Sly and the Family Stone. Now I'm just counting the days for Respect.
Maryann That is a great feeling to do the same hike so much quicker without much time in between. I've got to get my InReach going in a couple of weeks. My backpacking buddy carries one too, so we'll be covered. I don't leave mine on, but I do send a text to dh each day. This year I'll probably also send to my cousin since she'll need to know when we finish and when my friend will be delivering me back to her area.

Waving to Curlyjax, Onebyone and CJZee.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #88  

Did my 1st hike in 3years yesterday . With South Africa under a hard lockdown, getting some fresh air is just about the only thing keeping one sane
Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - George Frideric Handel's "Water Music" premieres (1717, river Thames)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did the impossible. The recliner where I sit to read is 41 years old. It died at least ten years ago both mechanically and from wear. It's been easy to avoid doing something about it - one day at a time. DW and I offed to Jordan Furniture just north of Boston to wander about their acres of furniture. "Just to look," I announced in an attempt to put off acting responsibly. Encountered almost a deserted store. Our salesman had 33 years experience; he marched us through the zillion options until we settled on . . . the one that he had first led us to. To my chagrin, it's electric, "To get one without the motor takes a special order and only saves $100." I don't need the electric raising of the foot rest, but only the electric has a neck adjustment that's killer desirable. Now I can't image living without it. I would have taken it in blue since that was the color in stock; DW wanted brown in a softer feeling fabric. So we ordered it. Won't be here for a few months, but we've done our job. CREDIT moi for adulting.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the exception of half a kiddie-sized cup of ice cream at Jordon's. We both felt the need for compensation for a traumatic event. Unfortunately, "kiddie-sized" is one hunking large amount of ice cream. The "small" was probably a full pint. We sat in the air-conditioned first floor play area of the store to eat our ice cream while watching kids, fully harnessed and tethered in an overhead grove, climb, swing, glide, and muck about a complex structure that spanned three levels. Might go back just to run that course myself. Have to be over 48 inches tall and weigh less than 350 pounds - I fit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, that's one enthusiastic kid in the video. Congrats on your progress in your exercises.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for your trio dropping back to a duo for your hike. I join you in enthusiastically waiting for Respect.

Penny. - Congrats for staying the course with a 1200 calorie day.

Kay (Kay8701) - Congrats for getting out to hike after three years. Big Ouch for the lockdown in South Africa; I'm afraid we all might be headed back there.

Readers -
Quote:

He consistently overate at meals to ensure that he wouldn't feel hungry later on. He kept extra food in various places - his car and office desk - just in case he got hungry. He was continually giving himself the message that it was bad to be hungry, that he couldn't tolerate hunger. This incorrect thinking is exactly what I want to free you from!

Old 07-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #90  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Karen: For my sweaty head ( which runs into my glasses) I wrap what I believe is a cooling towel (about 29" by 6 inch rectangle) of microwicking cloth as a bandana around my head. Then I put my hat on. By mid hike it is soak but is constantly drying. They were promotional towels for my cross country son so I don't have a brand name. But they are a game changer for me. Instead of washing everyday I rinse with a little soap and they are dried in an hour.
BBE: I bought a similar electric chair about ten years ago. I had the same misgivings of the electric feature. But as you said it is the only one that met my needs. It has survived DS throwing himself into it for same ten years.
Kay: So glad you were able to get out. Super important for me.

Hiked yesterday at the steepest course - 2,000 feet elevation in 3 miles included boulder scrambling. I didn't shave much time because I felt nauseous. I don't know if it was altitude. I am changing up my breakfast to see if it helps. I went to urgent care yesterday for leg rashes that broke out. I used my MD Live app the night before which gives a virtual healing plan. I wanted to make sure it wasn't more serious since I am hopping on a plane in six days. Not serious. While in the clinic a man with a broken arm came in. They took his name and told him to sit. I asked if he was in pain and he nodded ( duh!) I hopped up and told the receptionist to give him my place in line. Everyone in the room agreed. No brainer. About twenty minutes later the receptionist came out to give me a coffee gift card. He said how much he appreciated my actions and repeated thank you several times. I was shocked. I was being just a reasonable human being. Then I went to get the prescription. The place had closed and the only other person in front of me spoke no English. It became apparent she was short money and was looking through her purse. I came up and said can I make up the difference. It was $4.00. The clerk came up to me later and said how I had restored her faith in humanity for such a little act. I was blown away. Have we reached such a state in this world that simple acts are heroic? I am going to lead with those two stories with my classes this fall. Title: Simple Acts of Kindness get you an A. Figure out how to do some on a global level.

Maybe it was Karma but the clinic scale weighed me midday fully clothed at ticker. I'll take it.

Wave to all.
Closed Thread