Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 05:49 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Roman imperial general and statesman Julius Caesar born (100 B.C., Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Super Congratulations to Mr. Branson and Virgin Galactic for their trip to the edge of space. Exercise was the standard, i.e. "standard" before COVID, Sunday morning walk with DW. Since allowing in-person gathering, community hour afterward still isn't happening. I do miss the camaraderie, but secretly welcome not facing tables of homemade goodies. Made a good decision: one path home would go past a bakery that sells killer-good baguettes that had me drooling; we chose the other path for some minor reason but noting that when a baguette enters our life it arrives as an addition rather than a substitute. CREDIT moi for a minor decision.

The afternoon adventure was renting Bluebikes to test a journey that might be suitable with our DGD. She has a "big girl" bike now without training wheels, but we aren't sure how far she can ride. We tested a route that had limited sections that were uneven or uphill.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Were forced to eat dinner inside due to the beginning of a light sprinkle. Turned out to be a wimpy sprinkle but we're doing so well with rain in July that that was OK.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Do enjoy reading how you make Home Chef serve your needs.

maryann - That's some ferocious work in the high heat. Congrats for surviving. If your DS was at home you could ask him to put his plastic dinosaurs in the "meteor" holes just for the giggles.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for getting your home exercises done even while dealing with the frustration of your DH's cell phone service provider.

curlyjax - Ouch for that hip. And Kudos for being able to buy bagels for your DS but not for yourself.

Penny. - Congrats for being able to pull off a 900 calorie day - that's a low number.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating

experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

It's important for dieters to know that hunger is normal and most people without weight problems get hungry every day, often a little while before meals. If you ask them what they do about it, they usually get a funny look on their faces and say, "What do you mean? I wait for dinner." They know that hunger is not to be feared or avoided and that food actually tastes better when they're hungry.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 76.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:16 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I didn’t go kayaking yesterday; the thought of sitting in that position was not appealing. It’s the same position I sit in every morning when I read your posts, 90 degrees, and my hip doesn’t like it. You would think this pain would help reinforce my need to lose weight! I certainly won’t be able to do another replacement until the spring anyhow due to changing jobs. Im going to get it x-rayed in a few weeks when I have a check up anyhow.

I did make a very healthy dinner last night- I checked out a small organic farmstand nearby and bought beets and swiss chard. The beets were 3 different colors and so beautiful when chopped up. We also had salmon and french fries for the kids. I did get into some stuff after dinner but its gone now and moving on! I have to go into the agency early today so personals tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

Last night's meal changed at the last minute when DH decided he wanted pizza. That had been out of our life for a couple of years since he quit eating dairy. But he had the bright idea to call our favorite local place to see if they would make him a cheese-less pizza. They did and it's better than it sounds. But, now, I have to deal with periodic "let's get pizza" surprises to my meal plan. Sigh. What works best is one slice and a big salad that I assemble before I pick up the pizza. And I want to start letting go of some resentment at having perfectly good plans disrupted and at having to use my resistance muscle to implement the pizza plan.

In general, I've been working, lately, on letting go of resentment toward things that I'm going to do anyway. Resentment can be useful to tell me that I want to say 'no' to something. But there are a lot of situations where resentment just wastes time and energy around something when I'm ultimately going to say 'yes.' Better to let go of resentment and find a path toward enthusiasm and fun, since that's the spirit that I want to have toward pizza and community events and other things that strike me, first, as invasions of my carefully planned days or of my solitude before I remember that while I value plans and solitude, I don't value them higher than my relationships.

Today's adventure is DH's second to last visit to the physical therapist. Things aren't improving as fast as we hoped, but we're taking it on faith that the PT is helping.

Exercise +55, 540/1400 minutes for July

Penny: Depression is helpful context for "baseline angry." As a friend of mine says when people are behaving in ways that damage themselves or others, that's a good moment to wonder what happened to them. Hurt people hurt people.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #64  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

My reward for staying on plan was a tick up a pound on the scale. Lame.

My plan is to make some hummus and a potato salad. You should see the dill I had to buy for the potato salad. The only option was a bolted bunch nearly as big as me, the store had three of them sitting in a five gallon bucket on the floor. I had to circle back and lay it across the top of my cart when I finally decided to just get it. $3 and it smelled great in the cart and the car.

Hiking should also happen today, and another great Fredrik Backman audiobook will be the carrot.

Have a great day, everyone!

Curly, sorry the hip is bothering you.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Waiting in an ATT store to order an international plan. I just ordered my Soles for Peru. Im getting excited. I worked another four hot hours on the front yard. It looks much better . I have used pathway mulch and pottery to start a baseline drought resistant scape. I even started planting three of the pots with tester plants that are supposed to be impossible to kill. I bought two rocks - one four foot and one two foot to be strategically placed. The landscape company is backed up but can deliver over the next month maybe. Altogether very pleased

Food remains undisciplined. I am trying to find a balance with all the physical work I am doing. Karen reminded me that it all starts with fruit and veggies.

wave to all
Old 07-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

I almost forgot to check in. Food was on plan and weight moving down. Just a scattered day of a little this and that. I walked Otis, got dh's cell transferred so his employer will pay it and talked to a good friend on the phone this afternoon. I also took a friend to the airport. It's only 20 minutes away and the time she needed to go was very convenient for me.

I'm thinking the temperature may be lower tomorrow, so I'm going to be ready to hike if it's under 88. I'll just do the shorter moderate hike.

I'll write some personals tomorrow.

Karen
Old 07-13-2021, 06:16 AM   #67  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Live Aid concert held (1985, London, Philadelphia, Moscow and Sydney)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was omelettes, brown rice, spinach, and green salad. Today at the supermarket, I'll buy lettuce - feel like I'm buying manufactured lettuce, LOL. An apple was my evening snack.

Was out and about on an errand and noticed few cars on the streets. We seem to wax and wane during the summer. My guess is that many folks have a place to escape; I don't think they're jumping on airplanes going somewhere. Hawaii is trying to get folks to STOP coming - they're full.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Such a sane notion to work at dropping resentment toward stuff we're going to do anyway - or have long ago accepted that we have to do. Wish you both well with your DH's PT.

maryann - I love the notion that one can buy rocks. I've wandered the yards where they're sold and want to buy most of them. There's a house in town with dozens of BIG stones that have been incorporated. Looks so neat.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats on solving that phone billing problem. There's nothing like a tiny success to feel great.

curlyjax - Your nearby farm stand sounds like a winner. I was late in life getting to like beets; now I'm a fan.

Penny. - LOL at the volume of dill. I do like the dishes we have that incorporate a lot of dill. Ouch for that unwelcome pound.

Readers -
Quote:

Most diet programs encourage you to avoid hunger. Some tell you to eat when you feel hungry and to stop eating when you feel full. The problem with that is you are likely to confuse hunger and non-hunger, at least sometimes.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #68  

I managed to miss my exit yesterday driving to my agency and spent even longer in the car. I was there about an hour then drove back another 50 minutes. Ugh, I'm so glad I will be done with a long commute soon. I've submitted my background checks, my references have been spoken to, and I have a drug test friday so i'm getting the pre employment stuff done. Now I'm worrying a bit like what if some food I eat shows up in a drug screen or something ridiculous but I just don't want anything to go wrong, and i'm really ready to give notice and leave. A piece of me feels like this is too good to be true.
I made a healthy skillet dinner of quinoa, black beans, onion-pepper-zuchini and fire roasted tomatoes, then some cereal after since I was still quite hungry. Today I'm going out to dinner with some church folks at a restaurant that hosts musical bingo, so that will be fun.
Gardenerjoy- I could skip cheese-less pizza, cheese is the best part to me! My dinner plans are constantly being disrupted as I never know when DS will be out, and DD doesn't like some of what I make, so I've had to do some adjusting too.
Penny- love the idea of dill as big as you! That stuff does smell so good.
Karen- phew, I do hope your temp is lower tomorrow. Good to have DH's cell phone worked out.
Maryann-around here people have huge rock formations that occur naturally, very rocky soil, and I see some cool landscaping folks have done to highlight it.
Bill-I think people are indeed escaping somewhere, I've heard the places on the cape were booked early.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #69  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight came back down.

I'm not usually a soda drinker but once in a while I'll get myself a diet something to get me through the foodless afternoons. I picked up a Coke zero with orange and vanilla flavor. It's interesting, and did help my post-work weekend desire to comfort eat. Now to keep it going...

Bill, I finally thought to look for Cosmic Crisp apples at the store and they did have a few. It must be popular because it was mostly cleared out, unlike all the other kinds. I got a couple and it is so good!!!! Sweet but not mushy. Perfect crisp. I'm a fan.

Karen, my 900 calories is avo/kraut/salsa toast for breakfast and then either veggie sandwich, 15 bean soup, two bell peppers and hummus, or now I've made a whole food/plant based potato salad. Enjoy your hike and cooler temps!

Curly, lol at the drug test worry. It's like the airport security and wondering "but what if I accidentally have a gun on me?" I'm so happy for you and your new job!

Joy, that is some good insight into your own stress management. I have enjoyed cheeseless veggie takeout pizza. There is also some nondairy shredded fake cheese that can be melted on under the broiler if you want to jazz it up, but that adds calories.

Maryann, kudos for the yardwork(out). You're in beast mode! lol
Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Yesterday's food was better. The scale is four pounds from ticker. I have a list of mild to-dos. I need to look up how to re- pot plants. (No laughing, gardenerjoy.) I also need to figure out where to move my plants in the yard so they will be watered while I am gone. DH has taken of a firm stand. HE WILL NOT WATER. I get it. He doesn't want to be tied to leaving the ranch while I am gone. He would prefer I leave everything a moon scape rather than a landscape. I will also research dry rivers because the next step is getting rid of the rest of the grass - probably in September. I can't believe how much yard work is still left. I have to keep up the back. Good Grief. This is a full time job.

I went to the store to buy some freezer food and a little fresh fruit. I am traveling so much I had not want to shop. Now I have smoothies makings and a few quick dinners.

BBE: Interesting about Hawaii. I wonder if the Ince trail is getting mobbed.
Karen: Crossed fingers for low temps.
curleyjax: I totally understand wanting to get onto the new job.
Penny: the scale is out to get us. I am sure. Does it not know what I could be eating? I should be rewarded.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #71  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I did have a very small portion of ice cream last night, but weight is down more anyway. It was 88 when I woke up at 4 am, so I did go hike. The humidity is high for us, so it felt plenty warm, but I was glad to get out there. The only thing I wasn't glad about is that I wore a new pair of hiking shoes (I had worn them once before and they weren't great). I hoped they would be better, but I was miserable. They are plenty big enough but the ball of my left foot just killed me. They are a little more heavy duty than some of my hiking shoes with bigger lugs so they won't wear out as quickly, but they are heading back to REI today.

I'm taking my car in today to have the tires rotated. I'll probably need an alignment too, but that's at a different place. Suzanne from Tucson is coming late afternoon to stay one night. She's driving back to CA to stay for a month or two. I guess I maybe had better vacuum and dust her room.

Penny You are certainly getting lots of veggies. At least it's a little more chewing time.

Curlyjax A good friend of mine smoked some pot about 25 years ago before she realized she needed a drug test for a new job. She was widowed and not sleeping well and her brother gave it to her. It was the first time she had smoked pot in 20 years or more. She was in a huge panic. Luck was on her side and somehow it didn't show in her drug test. I do know that feeling of feeling guilty when there is nothing to feel guilty about. The new job sounds like it's going to be great. I don't know if you do FB, but there is a site called Massachusetts Kayak/Canoe community with over 6,000 members. It might have some good information.

Bill Your dinner sounds a bit like "clean out the refrigerator", a bit of an odd mix. I would have wanted to substitute potatoes for the rice. I think plenty of people are hopping on airplanes based on the activity at the airport yesterday. Of course here lots of people are wanting to get out of the heat.

Maryann Penny is right, you are in beast mode. I do find it more difficult to balance the food when the exercise is over the top. Also, the scale is not always the best info because there is water retention with all that activity. I bet it took 4 days after my backpacking trip to see the tendons in my feet again. Usually the tendons and blood vessels are visible and that's an indicator to me when I'm still holding on to a lot of water. I bet you are looking forward to Peru. You are having one heck of a summer.

GardenerJoy That's interesting about resentment. I'm not a very evolved being, I just figured out to say "no" when I'm going to resent doing something. I'll have to think about the resentment I have when I either can't say no or will not be saying no.

Time to get cleaned up and on with the day. Have a good one.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

A late check-in today. I took an early morning walk with a friend and then got busy with my day. Similar to karenrn we experienced more of a problem with humidity than heat, but it was a fine walk, anyway.

My focus has been hit-and-miss today -- one of the reasons that I prefer late afternoon exercise, but I was never going to convince my friend that we should walk at the hottest moment of the day.

Exercise +55, 595/1400 minutes for July
Old 07-14-2021, 05:19 AM   #73  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Fete de la Federation - Bastille Day (Bastille stormed 1789, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Seems I've spent my whole life wanting to get a FREE donut on Donut Day or FREE fried chicken on Fried Chicken Day. Have always failed. Until yesterday, Subway Sandwich Day. The first 50 customers to arrive between 10 am and noon at each (participating) Subway Shop would get a FREE 6" smoked turkey sub. I arrived at 10:15am; got it; tipped the annoyed sandwich-maker; ate it later at home for lunch. Meh! Didn't grab me. Never got the taste of digging into a good sandwich. My daily peanut butter and pecans on toasted whole wheat bread tastes better going down and sticks longer. The "whole wheat bread" of the Subway was like lightly-colored Wonder Bread. No outstanding taste which surprised me because I'm a fan of smoked turkey. However, a Bucket List item is ticked off. Won't have to chase that one again.

Eating was on plan, including a planned, small, Subway sandwich, CREDIT moi. Had an afternoon snack of a handful of Washington State Bing cherries. Actually, I assumed Bing because I didn't know the whole list of Washington Cherry Varieties. Apparently, they're like walnuts - more varieties than civilians know about.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Walking in the hottest part of the day doesn't appeal to me, either. Humidity kills me.

maryann - Interesting to design a drought resistant landscape for your yard.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at your "clean out the refrigerator" comment - Yes, it was. Ouch for shoes that don't work.

curlyjax - That's such a modern fear of getting unfairly tagged by a drug test. It's easy to see why you look forward to getting past those twin 50 minute drives for an hour of work.

Penny. - The drink that can help me through "foodless afternoons" is unsweetened iced tea. If I do sweet tea, I just get drawn to the sugar and want more and more.

Readers -
Quote:

Also, since it can take up to 20 minutes for a sense of fullness to kick in, you are likely to overeat at meals because your stomach hasn't had a chance to catch up.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #74  

I went out last night with some church folks to have dinner and then play musical bingo. It was a lot of fun, and one of us even won a gift card to the restaurant! It's a smart way to pull in some extra diners on a Tuesday. I would do it again- and the food was very good too. I had a pulled pork sandwich with home made potato chips and enjoyed it thoroughly, and avoided the tempting dessert tray they brought around. I had one beer which is enough for me, any more and I fall asleep.
I'm going away this weekend, meeting a friend in Maine, and I'm starting to get ready. First step was going to the library to pick up reading material which I did on my lunch hour. We're both want to get some photos done for on line dating, when I'm ready to do that, so I need to bring something flattering and not just practical, so that's my next step.
Karen- that is too funny about your friend. Pot is legal here but they still probably don't want it to show up! I think I'm part of that FB group, but thanks for mentioning it. Do you tend to rotate your hiking boots or stick with one pair until they wear out?
Penny- yes, exactly on the airport security! Wow, that is an interesting toast mix!
Maryann- when you retire, you can do some consultant work as a drought landscaper with your new knowledge!
Bill-glad you got the "free item" out of your system! Ben and jerrys used to do a free ice cream day in the spring, and I never seemed to catch it. Maybe they still do and we can both do it next year!
Old 07-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #75  
Green Tomatoes

I got an early start today, waking up with a headache. It's better now and I've already done some things on my list that normally happen much later in the day. We'll see if I crash earlier than I usually would. Here's my reminder that food isn't the cure for fatigue. I have some fun low-key projects that work better than food at those moments.

Exercise +60, 655/1400 minutes for July
Closed Thread