Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life

and the first book

The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 03-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Yellowstone becomes the world's 1st national park (1872, Wyoming)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent another frustrating several hours working with a neighbor trying to get the tire on our community snow thrower repaired. Failed. We're so close; just can't get the tubed tire to accept air from the compressor. Somehow we've twisted thing about inside. We stopped for the day before we both grew so frustrated that we'd just toss the thing. After all, with the arrival of March, it must be Spring.

Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and DIL along a two-mile path around the local reservoir. Great to catch up on those two. They're so bursting to get away - as in anywhere away - that they're planning a camper van trip to the Massachusetts Berkshires in May. They hope for vaccinations before then, but are prepared to travel distanced in their van even if they don't.

I'm even getting into this breaking out notion. Talked to my brother who wants to travel to Boston with his wife, both double vaccinated, this summer. We welcomed them; we'll both be double vaccinated by then and, according to the good Dr. Fauci, can socialize unmasked in our house together. Haven't had a house guest in over a year. DW wonders if we'll know how to act in a restaurant. I feel like we'll be leaving the pit we've been in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the discussion about the different kinds of support we need at different points along our path, particularly that there's a point when we need the grieve and complain place and a point when we're past that.

maryann - Had to google Dansko Paisleys to understand. I really expected shoes covered in the neat 1950's tear drop pattern like the clogs in their store linked. They do sound comfortable. Catalina Island has long been on my bucket list even though I've learned more about swallows than Bing Crosby sang about.

Karen (karenrn) - Droll for your split pea with ham soup - especially good in our cold winter here. Yay for naps.

curlyjax - Yay for getting "just enough" scallops. We love cod fish around here - but the choice of coating is critical. Maybe you'll find another way that you like better.

Penny. - LOL, with a wince, at "My vaccine got its first real stretch." Am thinking of that issue as we approach our second jab. Now we'll have to decide when to test the thing, like riding the Boston subway.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily

reality check

If you are thinking: I don't feel like doing this task.
Face reality: If you want to lose weight permanently, you will have to learn to do things you don't necessarily feel like doing at the moment. But the payoff is so great!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 56.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I went for a good walk with my two friends, and may have volunteered to help with an online church fundraiser, ack. I’ve taken some time off from volunteering there, but since one of my friends is organizing it i’ll feel guilty if I don’t help
I made the lentil soup and made a small portion of cauliflower soup too, with frozen riced cauliflower. Both are no points except for the olive oil so yay. I keep blowing thru my points but am eating healthy foods and decent portions so I’m not going to worry about it for now. Dinner tonight and tomorrow will be turkey meatloaf and some roasted veggies. I have lots of pots and pans to wash today as I decided to do a marathon watching of Inspector Lewis before my free subscription runs out, and it was worth it.
Maryann: thanks for the mention of Dansko shoes, I’ll look into those.
Karen: I love naps! When I’m alone in the house and can take one on the sofa, its just the best weekend thing.
Penny-I envy you for trying out your vaccine! A birthday party sounds wonderful.
Bill-hopefully you can forget about the snow blower until next year. Great to have visitors to look forward to.
Gardenerjoy-I found the FB support groups very helpful for questions. My situation was different since we knew DH was terminal so there was a lot of sadness there, but still helpful.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good morning coaches. Phone check in Running late. Food OP yesterday. There was too much but I did get my steps in and starting the day fresh. Have a wonderful morning.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and plan is made for today. Dh is happy to finish the ice cream without me and I am happy to have had some the other day, so that works out fine. I decided not to hike today cause I need to get some things done to be ready to head to Tucson Wednesday and I'll be hiking most of the day tomorrow.

I went back to bed for an hour this morning cause I woke up at 2:30 and that was simply too early. I have a hair appointment at 1, so there won't be a nap today. Better get moving. Have a great day!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Quick check in. Yesterday was overbudget with calories but I did get in a good workout.

yes to full success today!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

A late and quick check-in. I didn't eat over yesterday's fatigue and I got a lot of sleep last night, so I'm doing better today.

Exercise +25, 1150/1400 minutes for February
Old 03-02-2021, 04:56 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews is released (1965, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW and I both got our second jab of COVID vaccination. From leaving our front door to re-entering was exactly 70 minutes. And that included their mandatory fifteen minute wait to see if we would feel faint. Was told that any reaction would likely occur in about twelve hours. So far, neither of us has reaction. DW has a slight muscle soreness where the shot went in. Feel like we won the lottery here.

In the afternoon, I managed to get two errands done in one trip. CREDIT moi for the joy of beating the system, LOL. The simple task of picking up a prescription at CVS was complicated by their automated system telling me that I couldn't get vaccinated there and that the pharmacist didn't have time to tell each patron that over and over. They don't have any. Don't ask. Felt a tad unfriendly, but I can imagine their problem.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Life just goes on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for catching up on your sleep to get your mind in the groove.

maryann - Kudos for getting in your planned steps.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you feel safe to do hair appointments. Yep, 2:30 am is a tad early.

curlyjax - I do like lentil soup. Always LOL at WW's no points foods; I'd spend my days trying to beat the system.

Penny. - Go for it, "yes to full success today!"

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

I want you to get in the habit of weighing yourself each morning for the rest of your life. You can do serious damage to your diet if you know you won't have to face the music the next morning. You can also become seriously demoralized if you have followed your diet faithfully all week but the one day you weight yourself the number on the scale goes up, perhaps due to water retention. You might conclude the diet isn't working when, in reality, it's just a normal, temporary gain. Weighing yourself daily will help you avoid these pitfalls.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'd better post now cause I doubt I'll get to it later. Heading out in an hour to meet my friend to hike 15 miles in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. It's been an annual thing and this is my 4th time. We park a car on each end. It's up and down and connecting lots of different trails. It's with my backpacking buddy so we are in training mode together. Food was on plan yesterday and weight is inching down. I'll be leaving about 6 a.m. tomorrow to head to Tucson, but I will likely post from there.

Bill Glad you and dw got your second jab. Today they are opening out appointments at some locations for those 55 and older. I think dh may way another 10 days to get an appointment that is very nearby. He has to be 65 to sign up for the nearby jab.
GardenerJoy I'm glad you got rested up. Take care and I hope you continue to feel better. Emotional stress is exhausting.
Penny I hope you had full success yesterday.
Curlyjax It sounds like you're making some very healthy meals. Good job for that.
Maryann Waving to you!

Okay, time to fill the Camelback, pack the backpack and get some breakfast.

Oh, one other thing. My hair is so short. Holy moly. It's actually cute, but why do they have to get so carried away. Thank goodness hair grows.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #10  

Good day yesterday. Baked my turkey meatloaf- and threw a little spinach in there too this time-and roasted two trays of vegetables that I will eat over the next two days. I realized I ate a whole medium sized zuchini, goodness. I'm doing great with planned dinners but need to figure out a better plan for lunch that's filling; I feel like i'm hungry quite a bit even though i'm eating often.Some of the WW guidelines seem arbitrary: fruit is no points but if you put it in a smoothie it suddenly has points. It still feels you up if there's yogurt in there, its not like you're juicing it. I take it all with a grain of salt and watch my portions of fruit anyhow.
I got my weights done and had a nice conversation with DD. I listened sympathetically to her roommate woes until she started complaining about what a slob one was in the kitchen. I burst out laughing-"Mom! It's not like being at home"- apparently its okay to not clean up at home but not out in the "real world". Sheesh.
Karen- I know, I told my hairdresser last time I didn't want it so short, but she must have forgot as she chatted away. Next time I will firmly say just a trim, and see if that works. Have a great hike
Bill-that's great you both feel good and it was quick. There are signs up at my local drugstores: No covid shots here! I'm sure they are quite tired of being asked.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/168/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Speaking of haircuts, Karen, I have mine today. I haven't regretted going short a couple of years ago. My hair is curly though so it is easy upkeep. I always remember some Glamour magazine article about older women not hanging on to long hair. I really think it depends on the hair. I was freaking out because I was losing so much of it. Ah! Aging with dignity. Enjoy your hike.
curleyjax: The smoothie rule in WW didn't work for me because I have a Vitamix which includes the fiber. But I am also like BBE and try to work the freed food system. Good for you for being willing to watch your servings.

Lots of "to -do" boxes checked yesterday despite having work as well. I made reservations for the Hi Point Montera Light House https://www.hiusa.org/find-hostels/c...brillo-highway for SIL and me. We decided tours and hikes around Highway 1 lighthouses instead of Catalina. We will hit Point Reyes and Muir Woods. Knowing that is coming up I am taking a sick day on Thursday to see my new podiatrist. I don't want to live with my foot like this anymore. So credit for making all kinds of exercise happen - planned and unplanned. I also ate several servings of plant based whole foods, added a little vinegar and weighed in.

Final Frugal February report: I did an amazing job cutting spending. I spent a third of what I spent the previous month. I will continue it into March ( not so drastic) and began by going through textbooks yesterday. I went into boxes in the garage. It is a graveyard of passed curriculum I have taught. I needed a book I used 30 years ago, Creative Growth Games. I put the isbn number of about twenty other books I had to dig under into SellYourBooks.com. They bought 5 for $15.00 total plus they paid shipping. Now I have another 15 books I can donate. It is not about the money but about getting things to places where they are useful and of course freeing up the space in my house.

Have a great day.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

Today has already included the grand adventure of getting DH's new Medicare plan listed as his insurance in our medical provider's system. We'll test it out this afternoon when he gets his PSA checked a final time before we make our decision.

If it all goes well, tomorrow's adventure will be getting him off of my insurance. That will represent a considerable savings. Plus his new plan is better in many ways.

Exercise +45, 45/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: +71/+12/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was slightly overbudget and a good exercise session was had. Today is weights day!

I made pea soup and it came out not thick as a brick for once. Today I need to make some vegetables and maybe a bean soup. Bread needs made.

Bill, congrats on getting the vaccine!

Joy, fingers crossed for an optimal PSA.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:15 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Care Giver Appreciation Day (since 2020)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was salmon with tomatoes and potatoes baked in the microwave. It's a recipe from years ago that DW has recently resurrected when it's too cold to even step outside to the grill. Evening snack was my planned Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Trip to the supermarket was boring - just the way it should be. Thought there'd be a crowd trying to get inside out of the 14 degree F, cold but there wasn't. Maybe excitement from a trip to the supermarket is over. Isn't that a happy thought.

Still have no response to my second COVID vaccine jab. I like that. I have to admit that I was worried - concerned that I'd even have to give up a day with the DGD or miss a class as I lay, suffering, unable to move, gasping for breath, wishing for relief. (Did I even mention that I'm male?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Congrats for working the paperwork of the medical insurance system. The challenge for me signing up for Medicare was that I confused it with Medicaid - the assistance plan. Now I believe that everyone over 65 HAS to be on Medicare with a supplemental insurance of their choice if they so desire.

maryann - Point Reyes and Muir Woods are just the best. So jealous of you getting to walk them. Yay for getting books back into circulation.

Karen (karenrn) - Certainly understand your DH's desire for a local appointment for his jab. We have a local story of folks driving an older woman two hours for a jab but she died on the trip there. They had to search for a hospital in an unfamiliar territory. There's no information that the drive contributed to her death - or didn't - but it has locals wagging their fingers at the system.

curlyjax - Two trays of roasted veggies sounds like a good accompaniment to any meal.

Penny. - LOL at the thought of pea soup "thick as a brick." Sliced thin and served on toast.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Research shows that daily weigh-ins are important. A university of Minnesota study of more than 3,000 dieters determined that only the dieters who weighted themselves daily were able to lose weight and keep it off over a year's time.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #15  

I think I need some more low cal protein to fill me up, I'm feeling hungry yet I'm eating a lot. Probably too many starches although they've all been better choices than I used to make, ie a big baked potato covered with lower calorie cheese sauce, instead of a microwave mug cake. tonight I'm going to have a broccoli-chicken mixture with mozzarella cheese that I froze; I'll see how well it did. I did do 30 minutes of aerobics yesterday so credit for that.
I'm spending too much time just enjoying the quiet and getting used to living alone, I need to get going on stuff like getting rid of an old car and the taxes.And force myself outside for a walk at least: I'm turning into a hermit that doesn't leave the house during the week.
Closed Thread