Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Sculptor, painter and architect Michelangelo born (1475, Caprese, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was a trip to Costco. Hadn't been there in a while. Did my errand and then walked the whole store. Three sample stations were active. But they weren't giving out samples. Had signs, "For display purposes only" with a smocked attendant standing there looking bored. Despite the signs, I went through the debate whether or not to take each sample. I decided against two, CREDIT moi, then decided to take the third. Duh! Finally read the sign to realize that they weren't giving out samples. My brain just wouldn't accept it, LOL. I did pick up a frozen pot roast dinner and a frozen Chicken Tikka Masala dinner. Evening Zoom events are eating away at the time DW would like to spend making dinner. Some backup frozen entrees might become a new normal for us.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. We gathered dinner each at our separate computers for an evening Zoom lecture. We waited. And waited. For whatever reason, it never happened. Nor did an embarrassed Director of Programs appear to apologize that a flight had been cancelled and the speaker was in Abu Dhabi. The odd silver lining is that we both did other stuff on our computers while waiting and we didn't waste time traveling back and forth.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - What an early riser! It's on my Bucket List to own a home on the ocean where I watch sunrise while my butler brings my coffee. And croissant.

maryann - Ouch for the challenge of finding the right podiatrist. Congrats to you and your DH for being so clear about choosing the right path for him.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you're taking care of yourself with walks in the nearby canyons. You're being a good friend.

curlyjax - Kudos for "but today is a new day" - Beck thinking, that. Yep, I'm listening to lectures from esteemed professors who are younger than my own kids.

Penny. - Sounds like a gloriously successful adventure. LOL at turning away the breakfast.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

tip:
If you suspect that a medication is causing you to gain weight or that you suffer from a thyroid abnormality or other medial problem that might block weight loss, discuss the situation with your health-care provider. Although many dieters I have worked with initially suspected a medical problem was keeping them from losing weight, invariably they were eating hundreds and hundreds more calories each day then they realized.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 56.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-07-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Weight in day. I’m down 8 ounces, I’ll take it. A grand total of 4 pounds in 2 weeks which is a great average. I think I’m going to be on the slooooow train to weight loss,I have a feeling it may trickle down to one pound a week, but as long as it keeps going down I’ll be happy. At 174 it’s the lowest its been since the summer, so that is awesome. I had a craving for beef for a few days, so I bought pound ground beef only and made myself a wonderful burger, and enjoyed every minute of it. I also bought muffins for DD, stuck them in a bag and did not get into them. I did enjoy some banana pb2 cocoa powder “brownie” for dessert which is much less caloric, although I should probably stop doing that so much.
I did my weights yesterday. I was going to go for a walk with a friend today who lives a distance away but we both wimped out; it’s still winter and cold, we’ll do it in a few weeks. I’m hoping to do coffee outside in our cars for like 20 minutes with a closer by friend instead. I really miss meeting for lunch but none of us want to do that yet.
Bill-ah, the old days when you could sample your way thru the store. Yay for frozen entrees to make life easier.
Karen-I’ve heard knee replacements are very painful, more than hips. Glad you’re finding some hikes to keep you going.
Penny- I haven’t had a mimosa in eons, I hope you enjoyed it!
Maryann- glad you could find a new podiatrist that will actually help. Good to have a plan for DH; I found the not knowing bit was really hard.
Gardenerjoy- sleep is very healing for sure.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-06-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

I may have lucked into a COVID shot. Part of this story may be useful to others who aren't yet eligible but would be interested in taking a shot that would otherwise go to waste.

Walmart has established a "no waste protocol." From the customer perspective, as far as I've been able to tell, this means calling the pharmacy at one or more Walmarts and ask to be put on their "no waste protocol" waiting list. The process probably varies from there, but the one I read about was that you'd be notified of an available shot, given 15 minutes to respond to the notification and two hours to get into the store to take the shot.

I assumed that the St. Louis County Walmarts were being flooded with calls as soon as the word got out, so I started thinking about which Walmart within two hours that I'd be happy to go to on short notice. I called the one in Pike County, where I grew up. It's about an hour and a half from my house, traveling very familiar roads.

This is where the luck came in. That Walmart opened its appointments at about 6am yesterday. A whole bunch of people in the St. Louis area signed up. At about 12:30pm yesterday, a lot of the St. Louis Walmarts opened appointments. People who had Pike County appointments were able to grab closer appointments, so they called and canceled their Pike County appointment.

That left the Pike County pharmacist in a lurch. She no longer had enough appointments to run the planned clinic on Wednesday. So she was using her very short "no waste protocol" list to fill appointments. Without them, she would have to cancel it all together. I made it very clear that I wasn't eligible and didn't want to take a shot from someone who is. She made it very clear that I was doing a favor for all of her eligible patients by making sure that there were enough committed appointments for her to run the clinic.

So, I have an appointment at 11am on Wednesday. I'm trying not to hold too tightly to the idea in case she bumps me for someone who needs it more.

I would be really happy to get it. It's the Johnson & Johnson shot so just one dose. Perfect for my current situation. I'll have a reasonable amount of protection as we go into a more intense time for DH's medical needs. And we won't have to plan those needs around my second shot. And, we'll reduce the likelihood that I get COVID while spending all this time in medical settings, just when he needs me to be healthy and functional to help him with his medical needs.

Exercise +35, 225/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #34  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but my only exercise was to walk to the mailbox. Suz was not feeling well yesterday with intermittent nausea and more, so I didn't feel good about leaving. The good news is that her leg looks good. After being a bit swollen yesterday a.m. it is not today. The bad news is the nausea has continued with emesis. I called the doctor this morning and the antibiotic is being discontinued. I hope that was the culprit. Anyway I didi some nursing things and we're hoping they will help. We considered a trip to the ER for fluids and an IV antiemetic, but we are hoping that won't be necessary. Anyway, over the course of these few days I have gotten a better attitude and I am actually glad I can be here to help. My nursing skills are being used and I know she feels safe with me here. I won't go home until the nausea is gone and she is able to take food and fluids well. At this point I think Monday would be the earliest. I hope not longer, but we'll see.

GardenerJoy I'm so glad you found a plan to get your vaccine. You are right, the one dose J&J will be perfect so you don't have to worry about getting a second jab.
Curlyjax You are right, down is down. These days I just say to myself, "And how much would that be in a year?" and also, "Is this something that is sustainable, that I can do for the rest of my life." We have all been on different food plans or diets where the weight came off quickly and came back just as quickly.
Bill I do pick up a prepared food item occasionally. Sometimes it is just nice to have something quick and easy. Some of them turn out to be pretty good and some not, but they are quick and easy.
Penny I've turned my attitude around since my patient is feeling so lousy. I can't help but feel sorry for her and to realize I am right where I need to be right now. The good news is that she is a nurse too and tries to do as much as possible for herself.
Maryann I hope the steroids help the foot pain right away. Heck, I've known a number of people who have had steroid injections for plantar fasciitis. Dh swears by soaking it in ice water in one of those pink wash basins from the hospital. He hasn't had problems for some time now that he never goes barefoot.

Well for any of you prayers, send one up for Suz that the GI issues resolve. Have a good weekend.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Lots of "to do" boxes checked yesterday:
1. Caught up on lots of correcting
2. Iced my feet.
3. Ignored bread and the scale didn't pop up hardly at all from the meds.
4. Food shopped with now plenty of fresh fruit in the house.
5. Sold two more pairs of sandals on Poshmark. I will have earned enough (total for two months) to pay for the outrageously priced Danskos. They are completely worth it if they make my feet work.
6. Taught students about three non violent movements: Little Rock Nine, Trumboand the blacklist, and the Selma march. DS pleaded with me to teach about censorship and what is happening to Dr. Suess. I put it on the lesson plan for Monday.
7. Set up a small checking account with my bank through a online phone appt. to link to my Paypal and Venmo.

Phew. I am exhausted just thinking about it all.

Today I am going to gloriously putter. Backyard needs tending. I am going to bike for an hour to start reaching my step goal for the month. It is officially Spring-like here. I will switch out the wardrobe to cull the winter clothes that didn't sell on Poshmark. I donate them to a few of the farm families that work for us.I have to reorganize bureaus so sweaters have room in the cedar drawers. Then I'll bring out my spring summer clothes and list the clothes that I no longer need. This place is really getting into shape.

BBE: We are certainly being helped out with no samples at Costco although I really!!!!!!! miss salad bars.
Penny: There is nothing like getting away even for a day.
Karen: It is true about attitude adjustments. One of the reasons you probably retired was to be able to use your skills in a way not regimented in a "12 hour shift" way. Now you can use all your incredible knowledge to help just one friend.
gardenerjoy: I am working on DH's shot. Looks like we are playing the cancer card and will get help soon.
curleyjax: Karen taught me to put PB in the greek yoghurt. I use a little swerve with it and chocolate balsamic vinegar. The vinegar helps boost your metabolism - per Dr. Greger.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #36  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday ended in an oven baked fries binge. Ugh. Then I did a spin class video at 11pm because the coffee (gift) from breakfast still had me wired. That is why I do decaf.

New day.

Joy, congrats on getting a vaccine appointment!

Curly, it's always good to see a loss on the scale. Good job!

Karen, I'm glad you are feeling better about things. Nausea is the worst!

Maryann, I thought the Dr Seuss thing was not censorship but the actual owners deciding to stop printing a few? Good job on being so productive.

Bill, convenience foods are treat. So funny that Costco had a fake sample station. Weird.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Captain James Cook 1st sights Oregon coast at Yaquina Bay (1778)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Read, sitting in my comfortable recliner, the first chapter of Absalom Absalom! for my class. Just amazing how much more I understand of Faulkner's writing when reading his book for the second time. Feel like I'm cheating when it's clear who he's referring to rather than trying to guess as one does in first reading. Much fun.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was French lentils. French lentils (aka Lentilles du Puy) differ from Red Lentils and from Green Lentils by keeping their shape after cooking. Great for salads; not so great for dahl or soup. DW was clearing out the pantry; these were left over from an attempt to mimic a lentil salad dish a friend had brought to a potluck. That dish turned out to be more work than DW wanted. So, they sat in our pantry destined to be tossed by our annoyed kids when we passed away. Instead of burdening the kids, she "made them go away" by serving them in a delightful recipe with lots of celery, carrots, and onions. They were, however, individually chewy until the bitter end. Don't think we'll be doing French Lentils again. Glad they're gone.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - That's some convoluted story of finding a COVID vaccination; Congrats for sticking to the search until you found one. Neat to get the one-dose variety.

maryann - Love the phrase, "gloriously putter." Congrats for setting up the small checking account for your Venmo account. I need to do that and keep putting it off. I recommend that you do your normal careful checking of your sources before telling the kids about Dr. Seuss. I'm in the camp of those who feel that a business in a capitalist economy has the right to choose what books to print and don't call that 'censorship'.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad to feel that your friend is healing and that she needs your nursing skills. LOL that your hike for the day was to the mailbox.

curlyjax - Kudos for satisfying your beef craving with an appropriately sized serving. Instead of making a whole meatloaf and then overeating your way through it as I might have been tempted to do.

Penny. - Thanks for the reminder that oven baked French fries can still be a problem. Ouch for feeling morning caffeine at 11pm.

Readers -
Quote:

It is a biological impossibility for your weight
to go down every day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 57.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #38  

I did meet my widow friend for coffee and we had a nice time complaining and laughing.It was cold out but bearable sitting in our cars in the sun although I had to shift positions a few times and ended up with my head poked out the window like a dog, lol. I am SO grateful she's in my life with similar experiences.Later I went to browse in a bookstore for a bit- I do miss the ability to sit in a chair and read for awhile but at least we can go in- and ended up using a gift card to buy a book on investing for millennials. I'm obviously not one, but it seemed very basic, and when i'm done maybe the kids would use it at some point. One can only hope
Today I'm going to zip up to see DS; there's a bunch of forms he needs to sign and its the easiest way to do it. Hopefully we'll take a quick walk around the campus too.
I ended up eating one of the muffins I bought for DD and blew thru all my points but the week ends today and I start over with new weekly points tomorrow. I bought a bunch of healthy foods that can be combined in different ways and will use some of my frozen stuff this week too.
Gardenerjoy- great job getting a vaccine scheduled. I'm sure they are glad not to waste any.
Bill-I've had those lentils in salads, didn't realize they were the French ones. I'm a fan of the red ones that cook quickly.
Penny- wow, that's lasting caffeine! Good for you for doing a workout so late.
Karen-sorry your friend isn't feeling well. Those meds can do a number on you. I remember a bunch of meds after my hip operation, and one was for nausea that could occur from the other meds.
Maryann-yay for a productive day. I may need to check out some better shoes too, the bottom of my heels are killing me these days, and the side of my foot as well.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #39  

Good morning coaches,

Food was a bit off plan yesterday. I had some of the cookies that I bought for Suz. They are 6 for 130 calories because they are thin little crisp things, but I had a dozen. It was a very frustrating day. I think part of the problem is too many pain meds. I didn't realize she was taking so much for chronic pain and then she increased them. That will put the braked on any GI tract. My good attitude is waning. I miss my husband, pup and my own home. Her place is very cluttered which is something that drives me nuts. Good news is that when we were up at 3:30 a.m. she had not been vomiting and I think things are turning around. I went back to sleep for a bit and I was glad for that. I will make a food plan today and do my best to stick to it.

I'm being one of those who only talks about themselves today. I hope for personals tomorrow. Maryann I had completely forgotten about the PB2 in Greek yogurt. It was like a dessert to me so maybe I had to stop.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #40  
Green Tomatoes

We got our first Home Chef delivery yesterday. I ordered three meals for the first week. We made the fish dish last night, knowing that freshness is a priority for fish to taste good. That also happened to be the most difficult of the meals we ordered, classified as "Expert."

We made Mahi-Mahi and Caper Aioli with crispy artichokes and fingerling potatoes.

It was everything I hoped for.

We didn't find it too challenging, but did use some methods that we don't normally because we haven't had that much success with them. With the detailed instructions, we managed nicely. So, we learned something that we can now apply to other dishes.

It did taste like a good restaurant meal, a relief after a year of home-cooking interspersed with a little take-out.

I was pleased with myself for paying attention to portions. I didn't even cook half of the potatoes. We'll roast them the same way to have with another dish. I also ate only about half of my portion of fish. We'll remake the rest of the fish and the leftover aioli into fish salad for sandwiches. That's actually an advantage over restaurant meals which don't provide as many options for leftovers (I'll take half of my french fries cooked and half raw so that I can roast them at home).

Exercise +35, 260/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for the thoughts on censorship. I was actually going to have the students explore the idea in all its forms. For instance, all though the publisher will not produce the six titles, many of the libraries will not pull the books from the shelves. This is the quote I will use by the Denver Public Library association regarding the Seuss issue: "publishers, librarians, and booksellers do not need to endorse every idea or presentation they make available," and that it is the responsibility of librarians and publishers "to give full meaning to the freedom to read by providing books that enrich the quality and diversity of thought and expression." 100% agree that businesses have the freedom to choose what to produce or not produce. Ironically, we are doing a lesson on Trumbo and the blacklist. I am going to compare and contrast private organizations vs. public organizations and the interactions with first amendment rights.

On the food front, my fear of gaining weight on steroids has caused me to lower my carbs. I saw a three pound drop on the scale. Not enough veggies though. I need to find a balance.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 03-07-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #42  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Another day, another disappointing report. I went over my food budget again and the weak point seems to be when I have to help my daughter get food past my eating window. I need to be more established in my on plan eating before I can safely do that. Addict!

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 03-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - International (Working) Women's Day (Since 1911)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW, DS, and DIL around the neighborhoods of a nearby town where different homes had displays of 'YardArt' where "YardArt is a townwide exhibit of the ingenuity of over 130 artists and nonartists, families, science nerds, birdwatchers, sports lovers, and book worms." The talented and the crazies alike were all on display. Fun stuff. Saw a sculpture of a bird that I couldn't identify - suspect that it was a Dr. Seuss type bird straight from someone's imagination. We did a bunch of elevation in a hilly town. Found the house at the highest point in the town that had a widow's walk where one could see all of Boston and beyond to the Atlantic Ocean. I suppose, were it not for curvature, one could see England.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was pork chops grilled on the patio. Discussion was pondering if we'd ever get away from eating animal muscle. DW had recently read about a new process of making protein from fungus that looks promising. It duplicates the texture of meat; they now have to figure out how to insert flavor. Not predicting a MacFungusBurger anytime soon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Drooling over "Mahi-Mahi and Caper Aioli with crispy artichokes and fingerling potatoes." Congrats for making that work - and even growing from the experience. I hadn't thought about the advantage of modifying the portions of the delivered meals to fit your own needs.

maryann - Love the quote from the Denver Public Library. Reminds me of my chat with our local librarian when she told me that she wouldn't pull Babar the Elephant from the shelves, but she had the responsibility/obligation to decide whether or not to order a new set when these wore out.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for continuing to support your friend. I learned of a retired nurse friend who just accepted a paying gig an hour's drive north of here because they flat ran out of local nurses to make jabs all day.

curlyjax - It's so delightfully human to have a friend for "complaining and laughing" without judgement. Yay for browsing in a real book store.

Penny. - It's OK to be kind to yourself when you have to help your DD with food when you don't want to even see it. Some days surviving parenting is accomplishment enough.

Readers -
Quote:

Are you convinced yet? Here is why weighting yourself daily is so important: . . .
  • It is the only way to desensitize you to your weight and reduce feeling of shame. Remind yourself that the number on the scale is just a number, not a reflection of who you are.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 57.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #44  

Good morning coaches,

I'm up at my usual early hour excited that I get to go home today. I will take Suz to outpatient PT and leave from there. She will Uber home. She made the plan. Food was on plan yesterday although my dinner portion was probably a little large. I haven't had a drink the whole time I've been here and the only sweet was some of the thin crisp cookies on Saturday. I am giving myself credit for the whole time. It will be interesting to see what the scale says when I get home. I have had very little exercise compared to what I am used to, but also pretty much no snacking. Suz is doing very well as far as her knee goes. The biggest problem has been the GI issues and she does have a sore throat from acid reflux. I am thanking God for what I always consider good health. I will now call it excellent health. Usually when I'm away from dh and Otis I am doing something fun, like backpacking and I'm busy and distracted. I have really missed them.

Bill The walk with the yard art sounds very fun. Lots of hills makes it an even better walk. I just can't bring myself to do jabs after as long as it has been since I have last done any real bedside nursing (other than these few days).

Penny Sometimes it is hard being around food when we don't plan to have it for sure. I'm fortunate to be in a pretty controlled environment.

Maryann Nice to have a scale drop while on steroids. Keep up the good work and of course if you do retain water or whatever it will slip off when the steroids stop.

GardenerJoy The dinner sounds very good. Fun to be trying something new right now.

Curlyjax I'm glad you had a good time getting together with your friend. It is just the best to have someone with a shared experience. Thursday will be two years since my friend was widowed. We did talk about it just so I could acknowledge that of course I remember and I'm sure I'll be talking to her.

Well, that's it from me. I'll be heading up the road in just a few hours and I'm so looking forward to seeing dh and Otis.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #45  

I had a great walk with DS yesterday. he chatted away and it was great to see how happy he is. I hope he'll be able to do a study abroad at some point during his college years but it depends on what Europe looks like after the pandemic. Then I had fight with DD and emotionally ate over it. I can't seem to keep my mouth shut with her and I do feel badly for losing my temper so quickly. I guess I will have to employ some CBT techniques in this aspect of my life. Last night I just felt hopeless about everything and sobbed away; I do wish I either had a more fulfilling job or a relationship OR the pandemic was over. But today is a new day.
I watched the movie Nomadland which is streaming on Hulu. It was very good- the scenery would have been great on the big screen- and I felt so grateful for my house afterwards; not a life I would want to live at all but so interesting to see what some folks do.
Karen- so glad you are going home today!
Penny- It's so much easier when I'm by myself, I hear you.
Bill- that yard art sounds so fun, i may take a drive and check it out myself sometime. that's the stuff I miss about city life.
Maryann- yay for a three pound drop!
Gardenerjoy- that food sounds delicious for sure.
Closed Thread