Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had to do some errands on my lunch hour so I didn't get a walk in, and the same may happen today. But its supposed to be beautiful so I really should get out for a bit. Food was healthy and OP until I splurged on popcorn with butter and a microwave mug cake. I'm reminding myself here I can have a microwaved apple with cinnamon as a sweet treat and will plan for it.
Last night I did a little catch up with work documentation i've been procrastinating on, so I'm glad I did make myself get something done.
Tonight I do have a church zoom meeting; I may help with our online auction (but only because one of my friends needs help) So that will be fun to see people I haven't seen in awhile.
Karen-hope you had a great hike. It's so awesome that more and more folks are becoming vaccinated.
Bill- thanks for the photo, too funny about testing for drones. Poor DGD, its hard to give up one's comfort bottle!
Penny- I'm sure you are stronger and that's why the firewood loading was easier!
Gardenerjoy- good idea to thoroughly immerse one in a project. I need to push myself to get started.
Maryann- good point what your therapist said; we all need to cut ourselves and each other some slack, the pandemic is indeed still with us.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in today. Yesterday was very positive. My modifications for the students at least made ME feel better. My schedule is ironed out for next year and I stretched for 30 mins. A little slow moving this morning.I am not attributing it to the second shot.
Credit for vinegar, black cumin and double weigh ins. I was grazing much later than usual so the scale is a bit higher. Tomorrow I head to Pismo. Being with family means ups and downs. My priority is to maintain my dessert abstinence and to shut my mouth. Rather than play into drama I will walk on the beautiful ocean cliffs.

wave
Old 03-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I successfully received my vaccine shot. It took a lot longer than expected. Walmart apparently way overestimated how many shots that one small-town pharmacist can give in an hour. I'm achy this morning, but I'm convinced it's a result of standing in line on Walmart's hard concrete floor for over an hour and a half.

I enjoyed my little hike. I'd forgotten how much I love Missouri's wooded areas. Of course, there's more drama in other seasons, but I really enjoy how far one can see into the woodland when the leaves are off the trees. And the warm color of last autumn's leaves on the ground.

I only ate the food that I packed. Although, I was tempted by the drive through at the Dairy Queen after my time at Walmart went far past my usual lunch time. Instead, I ate the granola bar I packed. That was plenty to tide me through until I reached the state park for my picnic.

Exercise +60, 515/1400 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the Newcastle photos. Newcastle is on my to-visit list for the bridges. Also, a pretty good jumping off place to see Hadrian's Wall.
PS. I was going to attach a photo from yesterday's hike, but the Manage Attachments button in the Advanced edit doesn't respond. If you can replicate that, can you report it to the powers that can fix it? If not, let me know. I may be overdue for a reboot.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee proposes World Wide Web (1989, CERN)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the second pair of grilled salmon steaks from Tuesday. DW grills four; serves two, twice. They reheat well. Cosmic Crisp Apple and half a California Navel Orange were the evening snacks.

Thursday is my busy day. In the course using the book The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America, we read the history of zoning; it led off with the story of Ferguson, Missouri to get our blood flowing. Then, case by case, detail by detail, it goes through a zillion Federal, State, County, and City regulations that made segregation the law - not just a de facto happening because "folks like their own kind." Each tiny decision can be sorta exonerated as a case of local NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard), but taken as a whole it's a damning story. And we're only on Chapter 3. Hard to know how I'll last through the course.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for solving the vaccine challenge. Ouch for the long wait to do that. Neat that you can enjoy the visuals of the off-season. The button [Inline Attachments] doesn't work for me either. Seems that the site doesn't accept uploaded pictures into a post. It only allows [Image], two buttons to the left, that displays an image from a URL. Folks seem to upload their images to a site for hosting images.

maryann - Kudos for having a plan for dealing with the tension of family.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for sighting the "saguaro graveyard" - sad sight, that. LOL at the novel concept, "stopped eating when she ran out of calories for the day." Someone should write that down.

curlyjax - Church auctions are fun. I've gotten some of the best bargains on items that I didn't need when the money was going to a good cause.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Getting on the Scale

Are you afraid to weigh yourself? Has it been awhile since you stepped on a scale? I want you to start seeing the number on the scale as a measurement to guide your eating behavior. It's certainly not representative of who you are. It's not an indication of your worth as a person.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 57.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #65  

I took off today since its going to be gorgeous out, and I want an extra day to get stuff done. My plan is to putz around here in the morning, go look at refrigerators, take a walk in a park near the appliance store, then have half a panera salad. I’m probably going to get a new refrig soon even though I’m reining in my spending, because my current old one is not energy efficient and isn’t set up well for the 3 of us when the kids are home- which in reality is almost 5 months of the year. We’re all trying to eat healthier and not waste food we forget about, and a newer bigger refrig should have more shelves etc. So i’m starting the looking process.
Karen- I know you are right about the tax thing. It becomes more involved because some of the investment forms are online instead of thru the mail now, so I have to hunt for my passwords for those I did complete the worksheet though so step one is done.
Maryann- walking on beautiful ocean cliffs sounds wonderful!
Gardenerjoy- great job resisting the food temptations. Those concrete floors are killers.
Bill-yay for grilled salmon steaks, and food prepared for the next day.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Today is dh's 65th birthday, so that is a big thing at our house. He is healthy after having several issues 10 years ago and looks much younger and is feeling good. We're meeting a couple of friends for dinner on a covered patio restaurant. Good thing it's covered and with heaters because it's raining here today and the high will be in the high 50's. My exercise will be walking Otis when we have a break in the rain along with my plank, arm and shoulder exercises. As long as I'm not hiking I'll get some housework done too. I did some off plan snacking yesterday, but yesterday is over and I'll make a realistic plan for today that includes dinner out.

Curlyjax Enjoy your day out with the nice weather. We got all new appliances in the kitchen when we remodeled 3 years ago and then a new washer and dryer more recently. We are all electric and our power bill has gone down noticeably. I can only attribute it to the appliances. Good job getting the worksheets done.
Bill Our Washington apple grower friend was here yesterday, he was discussing which varieties he is planting (new trees) and says he grows 12% Cosmic Crisps.
GardenerJoy So glad you got both your vaccine and a nice walk in the woods.
Maryann Enjoy your walk on the ocean cliffs. I used to tease that I would need to go to the ER to get my tongue stitched up for having to bite my tongue so much around some people.
Waving to Penny.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Computer is packed so this is in the phone. I will work a half day then pick up Mom and head to Pismo. I am look forward to seeing the beach.

I am officially ten pounds lighter than when they closed my school down a year ago. That feels good.

I am grateful I automatically pack healthy snacks rather than planning on eating fast food. I also always pack walking shoes and workout clothes. I know that for some other people this wouldn’t be habitual. I was thinking how 8 years ago I packed my scale for a two stay in Vermont. I am grateful I am willing to be weird to be healthy.

Gardenerjoy: I hope to visit Missouri woods this summer. My friend just moved there.
BBE: watched Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid and thought of how yr DW likes old movies. There are a few I am going to check out.
Curleyjax: yeah for a day off
Karen: Happy bday to DH. Does he have retirement plans in his future?
Old 03-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's excitement was the meeting with the urologist and DH's decision to start this treatment journey with surgery. We expect that to happen in April.

Between that appointment and the rain, I missed my goal of 60 minutes of exercise by a long shot. I won't attempt to make that up today, but I will attempt to reach 60 minutes today.

Exercise +30, 545/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #69  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I meant to do another late check-in but failed, just like I failed to eat on plan. It was my son's 14th birthday and it started with donuts.

My workout was extra with 30 minutes of weights and 1.5 hours of spin classes. I had to ice my knees after.

I'm going to do a little 5:2 IF to try and claw my way back on plan. Not looking forward to the heartburn I'll be suffering with today.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday- The planet Uranus discovered by Sir William Herschel (1781, Bath, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Success!! After so many tries, we fixed the flat tire on the community snow thrower. In the process, I'd destroyed two tubes by using carpenter crowbars to pry off the tire instead of smooth ended 'spoons' that are made for that purpose. A neighbor bought a set of spoons online - I didn't even know they existed for laymen. Possibly discovered the trick for putting the tire back on that's eluded us all these weeks that made it nearly impossible. Possibly. Possibly not. I'd rather not walk that path again. Should the reported snow of the Midwest drift out here to the East Coast, now we're ready.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the frozen Tikka Masala Chicken that I'd bought from Costco. The appeal was that it came in two sealed packages; DW cooked one for us to split. Tasted pretty good. We'll get it again (in addition to looking forward to the second package). Working meant that DW made brown rice and kale. She's facile in the kitchen and doesn't mind making stuff. She does appreciate that the difficult, time-consuming entree is already done. We won with that one.

We watched Tom Hanks in News of the World. Good entertainment. Helena Zengel stole the show as the pre-teen orphan in need of rescue by a hard, brave, good looking, "don't know nothing about raising kids," kind of guy. Fortunately, there was one conveniently standing right there in the title role. I insisted that I got FREE movies from Amazon Prime; this particular FREE movie cost me $19.99. By the time that I figured out that I had to pay, DW was vested so I just clicked the ever-so-easy-to-click [Buy] button. It's not that I can't afford $20, it's that I've always assumed that I'd get a FREE movie if I ever wanted to watch one. Have to figure that out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congratulations for making a decision - such a big step forward.

maryann - Waving back toward Pismo. Apparently, you'll miss the Monarch Butterfly season. Now I have to add that to my Bucket List. Congrats on those ten pounds gone over the COVID year.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy Birthday to your DH. Sounds like a fun plan for celebrating. Thanks for the tidbit of info about Cosmic Crisp Apples from your Washington grower friend.

curlyjax - Smart choice of a day to take off. Was outside without a jacket; feeling like Spring couldn't be that far away. Good luck with your shopping for a fridge. My experience has been that old-time appliance salesmen have been worth their weight in gold showing me the comparative features that I'd missed. Don't know if such guys still exist.

Penny. - Happy Birthday to your DS. Just about driver's license time is it not? Kudos for making a plan.

Readers -
Quote:

Getting on the Scale

Here's an analogy that may help: If you woke up one day and weren't feeling well, you might take your temperature and use the information to decide what to do. If the thermometer read 98.6 degrees, you'd probably go to work. If it read 102, you'd probably stay home and call your health-care professional. You wouldn't think, Oh, this is terrible! I can't believe I let the number get so high! I'm such a failure!. No, of course not. You would just use the number on the thermometer as a guide in deciding what to do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 57.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #71  

Weigh in day- down another 2 pounds this week, woo! I'm very pleased. I haven't felt this motivated in a loooong time, and success is keeping me going.
I checked out the refrigerators at a small appliance store where the salesmen knew what they were doing-they still do exist Bill!. There isn't a huge selection still due to the pandemic, but they will sell off the floor models. I'd have to remove one of the cupboards to get the frig in, so the next step is to get a handyman to see if that is doable. And I could spend my stimulus money to buy it, they are more affordable than I thought.
I went to a small park to walk afterwards and bumped into some older ladies from church, so that was fun.I chatted for a few minutes then went to Panera's as planned for a half salad, side of bread and a Madagascar Vanilla Almond milk cold brew- I think I have that right. It blew my points but was a great treat, and better than a cookie which would have me craving more.
Today I'm meeting a friend for a walk and will see her new house too, all masked up. She's had one of her shots and is very careful I know. And then its my day for groceries etc.
Karen- happy birthday to DH! Yay for healthier and looking good. That celebration sounds just right.
Maryann- super yay for 10 pounds down! Great habit of automatically planning healthy snacks.
Penny- I knew I would need to have the kids out of the house for a jump start, its so hard to have their junk around. Just remember how much weight you lost before! you will do it again.
Gardenerjoy-that is great to have those next steps in place.
Bill- if a movie has a money sign in the corner you have to pay, on prime videos. A lot of them you can rent for 3.99, but the newer ones cost a lot more. I tend to use my laptop to peruse the movies first, its easier to figure it out, then choose what i want to stream and possibly pay for, on my tv.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #72  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

One fast day down, one to go. A 500 calorie breakfast and nothing else is considered a fast day, and it makes me think of Beth eating those bars and whatnot. I think she was doing the fast day everyday. It would probably move the weightloss along quicker but I'd feel like garbage.

Exercise was my first trial of some new jump ropes. I'm going to try and do a little every day.

Karen, happy 65 to your dh!

Curly, congrats on the weight loss!

Bill, that's good the snow blower is fixed. Ouch for damaging two tubes in the process.

Maryann, kudos for being down 10 pounds over the year. I read somewhere the average weight gain of women during the pandemic is 26 pounds.

Joy, yay for getting the vaccine and your DH having a treatment plan decided.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's adventure was a trip to the grocery store.

I may be feeling some effects from the vaccine because it was more draining than anticipated.

Friday afternoon, it turns out, is not a good time if I'm aiming for a nearly empty store. Next time, I'll try earlier in the week. One impact of using a meal kit delivery service is a smaller grocery list. I think I can make that translate into fewer trips, too.

Exercise +65, 610/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #74  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was cold and rainy and boy do we need the rainy. It's raining a little now too. I did have an off plan piece of cake yesterday. Dh brought it home from the office and I had it after dinner. It was a Nothing But Bundt cake which I think they have all over. I enjoyed it and asked dh to please eat the other piece today or to get rid of it which he will do. I got up this morning and hiked by myself while listening to One Man's Wilderness. I'm loving it as I seem to love outdoor adventure type books. My food plan is made for today and I think it's going to be a low key day. I did call Suz in Tucson and she is doing pretty well. The doctor is happy with her progress and she is able to drive. The miracles of modern medicine are amazing.

GardenerJoy It sounds like a good day to take it easy.
Penny Jumping rope is such good exercise. I used to do it at Crossfit. I strived for double unders, but never made it.
Curlyjax Woohoo is right! Good for you! I'm glad you found a helpful appliance salesperson.
Bill Congratulations on getting the tire fixed. That was a bugger for sure. We've had that Costco dish too and thought it was pretty good.
Maryann Being ten pounds down from a year ago is really something to be proud of. It's hard to imagine how much more many people weigh. Dh doesn't have retirement plans yet. He works about 2 miles from home and can wear golf shorts and polos. He doesn't have any hobbies that he feels would fill his time and he's not really a volunteering type guy either. His back is bad enough that golf once or twice a week would probably be about the limit. I'm not complaining especially right now when we wouldn't be doing much traveling anyway. I just tell him if he ever feels like it is causing too much stress or just doesn't want to work anymore by all means retire.

I hope you all are having a good weekend.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Daylight Savings Time began at 2:a.m. (since 1895, Austro-Hungarian Empire)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made the rounds of the house to set the clocks forward. All of them. Certainly have a lot. There are clocks everywhere. DW did the microwave - perhaps our least observed clock for time-of-day since it's only used for minutes/seconds left. The timer on the cable box violates the 'rule' that there shouldn't be a clock in the living room. Don't know who wrote that rule and hard to know how I'm aware of it. (Just googled that: it's so your guests don't think you're reminding them to leave. I can remember when we used to have guests.) Don't have to set our cell phones or our computers - a reminder that we're constantly being watched.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks. Dinner was half an hour earlier than usual as part of preparation for the loss of an hour last night. Went to bed half an hour earlier also. Maybe that helped. What helped the most was that we set the clocks forward about 7 pm last night so we spent the evening thinking it was already later. That fooled my brain - but hardly fooled my circadian rhythm which, according to Wikipedia, I share with fruit flies and cyanobacteria as well as homo sapiens in Arizona and Hawaii who don't switch time twice a year - perhaps evolved past their fruit flies stage.

Happy Pi Day to all who celebrate.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope the response to the vaccine tapers away. It's reassuring that your body had acknowledged the vaccine. One friend suggested to me that my lack of reaction perhaps meant that my body didn't take the vaccine at all so that I'm still vulnerable. Don't know how to determine if that's the case.

Karen (karenrn) - Well your DH's Nothing But Bundt cake now has me drooling. Not just for a Bundt cake but to have a friendly man in a uniform deliver it to my door. Maybe I could get a scheduled delivery to avoid having to think about it. Maybe a different flavor a week. Sometimes muffins. Congrats for having only one piece. And, by the by, I am jealous that you don't have to change your clocks twice a year.

curlyjax - Congrats for those two pounds gone - despite having to adjust your meal prep for eating without two hungry teens to serve. I, too, have suffered from finding that the new refrigerators were a different size from the current space in the cabinetry. Good luck getting through that. (We modified the cabinet overhead - a pain.)

Penny. - 500 calories is indeed a fast. Hope you can survive on that. Love the notion of getting jump ropes as an adult.

Readers -
Quote:

Getting on the Scale

By weighing every day, successful dieters learn how to avoid feeling disappointed, frustrated, or even overly excited when they see what the scale says.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 58.
Closed Thread