Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

The interview went well and was more of a discussion of the job, as well as another one that is potentially coming up. I indicated my interest in the first one. Later that afternoon I was offered it, (which didn't surprise me, I knew they wanted me) for less money than I hoped . The HR director seemed insulted that I wasn't thrilled with the money, its only about 1000.00 more. I feel like I was lowballed for salary with my current job and this is going to be harder, but they just don't pay as well as some other agencies. I was really excited last week thinking about this job, but yesterday I just got into a wierd emotion state of depression and sadness. It's another instance where I miss my husband to share this with, and I just sobbed and sobbed in the evening. More and more its hitting me that this is it, this is life from now on and i'm really on my own. Maybe the menopausal hormones are kicking in too.
Anyhow, I will be excited when this feeling passes Maybe I need to up my meds.
Maryann- I can just imagine how hard it is with all the techno glitches. It is ridiculous that the tech dept isn't helping.
Karen- yay for a friend who brings dinner! good for you for realizing you don't need to drink more calories.
Gardenerjoy- I would have trouble with a spouse who can make brownies, goodness. Great job portioning them.
Penny-I'm overbudget calorie wise too. But today is a new day!
Bill-dinner sounds good. I love the Native American baguette! Glad you're enjoying your class.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #107  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but dinner was higher sodium and weight was up a smidge. It was a busy day yesterday but it's fun to have company again. We are heading to Sedona at 7 this morning to hike Bear Mountain. I'm sure it will be a challenge, but should be just fine. It's 5 or 6 miles round trip with about 2000 feet elevation gain, but the trailhead is at 4800 feet. My niece likes pizza from a particular place, so I figure today is the day to get it after a good workout. They also have a salad that I love.

Bill Don't drool about the Costco enchilada casserole, it wasn't very good. I actually like the layered one I make better.
Penny I'm doing more calorie counting now and I do give myself a little extra for exercise, but only as much as needed depending upon if I need more food for fuel. I find it a bit difficult not to overeat a tad worrying about hitting the wall when out hiking, but not wanting to overdo it.
GardenerJoy The brownies sound delicious.
Maryann I'm glad the bad mood left you. It seems awful that you had to figure out the technology yourself. What a tough year.
Curlyjax I hope the interview went well and looking forward to hearing what you thought.

Have a great day everybody and I'll let you know how Bear Mountain goes.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 173/176/ 165

Height: 5'6

Credit for one class’s grades in the books. Two more to go. I will be trying some new tech today during the mid term. Wish me luck.

I am redoubling efforts at exercise. My foot is my better. I will bike and treadmill walk today. I spent way too much time reading yesterday. I must move some more every day.

I found another pair of the perfect jeans that I wear. It is a discontinued style and I found new with tags which is awesome. I will hem them two inches and be set. It is also and incentive to NOT grow out of them.

personals tomorrow on a blessed Saturday.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #109  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. Today should be a fasting day, as long as working isn't hindered by brain fog or something. Of course, breakfast is eaten, so shouldn't be too bad.

Curly, sorry the pay is not what you hoped for with the new job.

Karen, have a great hike!

Bill, two zoom meetings would make a full day to me too. Credit for sticking with the class that others found drop-worthy.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #110  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I survived two rainy days in a row and today I get sunshine!

Last night our book group discussed The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin. We ordinarily read newer books, but manage a classic about once a year. This one from 1962 still applies today, which is both depressing and exhilarating.

This is the first time that I've read Baldwin, although one of my favorite quotes of all time came from this book. I love it even more now that I've read it in context.

“Life is tragic simply because the earth turns, and the sun inexorably rises and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will go down for the last, last time. Perhaps the whole root of our trouble, the human trouble, is that we will sacrifice all the beauty of our lives, will imprison ourselves in totems, taboos, crosses, blood sacrifices, steeples, mosques, races, armies, flags, nations, in order to deny the fact of death, which is the only fact we have. It seems to me that one ought to rejoice in the fact of death – ought to decide, indeed, to earn one’s death by confronting with passion the conundrum of life.” ~James Baldwin

Exercise +45, 905/1400 minutes for March

curlyjax: That story about disappointment of the salary brought back memories. I moved from a computer programming job to a customer service job in a molecular modeling company that clearly needed to improve its customer service. I expected to be valued for my willingness to take it on. Instead I got a lot of "I would never do that job" and a paltry raise. I only lasted about a year more at that company. When I quit, they hired a PhD chemist to replace me for quite a lot more money, I'm sure.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:05 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Vernal Equinox - First Day of Spring - The Persian New Year

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Happy Spring to everyone. Been waiting for this for longer than most winters.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was Fish and Chips from a local restaurant. I've been planning that since I read about folks lining up at their Knights of Columbus Hall on Fridays for fried fish. Had made me drool. Did take out from Summer Shack - a known good fish restaurant. Ordered one for $20 guessing that we could supplement if it weren't enough but also guessing that leftover fried fish and French fries wouldn't be that much fun. Great decision. The slab of Haddock (guess) easily served us both and the fries were more than enough. We did eat it all along with Chinese Cabbage that DW sauteed in a minute and my standard huge green salad. The meal came with a tiny (4 ounce) container of cole slaw - too little to replace the salad and not noteworthy. (We both did the old joke: "The food was so bad and so little of it.") The (2 ounce) container of tartar sauce didn't seem like enough until I realized that I didn't have to eat it half-and-half - so gave most of it to DW and was quite happy. Was a good experiment; we'll do it again. Think I'll try different restaurants just for fun. There are a couple closer - even in walking range - but we don't know that they'll use fresh fish. Summer Shack has fish trucks arriving several times a day to serve their hundreds of daily customers.

Excitement was replacing the inner part of a closet door knob set that stopped working. Just stopped. Wasn't difficult to install after the difficult part of selecting the exactly correct piece online from the thousand similarly shaped pieces. Won that one.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You make me put The Fire Next Time on my list, "Do I really want to be integrated into a burning house?" Painful that the issues that James Baldwin wrote about in 1963 are still with us. Thanks for your quote from the book - think I'll steal that.

maryann - New with tags for a pair of jeans that you want is the best bargain ever. Love that wanted clothing is an incentive to maintain current body size.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for having a good excuse to have good pizza. Bear Mountain warrants pizza all on its own even without your niece.

curlyjax - Congratulations on being offered the job. Ouch that you wish it were more money - always nice.

Penny. - Kudos for continuing with your new eating plan. I admire anyone who can eat rationally in the presence of teenagers devouring food.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Getting on the Scale

It's important to start weighing yourself now, even before changing your eating because it will help keep you in check. Each morning write your weight on your Success Skills Sheet, along with any change from the previous day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 58.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #112  

I feel better today. I called a friend and told her about the job and sadness and everything, and she was excited for me which was nice, and also understood about the midlife crisis type of feeling. I found out I will have my own little office which is great, and it's about a 20ish drive from my house which is awesome. I have about 6 weeks left working from home most of the time plus some training time in the agency, so I need to get cracking on anything that needs to be done while I'm in my house, like whether to buy a new frig and have it delivered etc. A deadline is helpful for me to get my butt in gear.
I ended up doing some emotional eating and no surprise gained weight, but its still lower than it has been in awhile. Today is a mellow day of groceries, food planning, etc plus hanging out with DD who is home for the weekend. Good to have an unplanned day, and its beautiful out too.
Karen-hope the hike and pizza were great. Nice to have company I'm sure.
Maryann-A day spent with too much reading sounds awesome, but I know what you mean that one needs to move too.
Gardenerjoy- thanks for the pay anecdote. And what a wonderful quote.
Penny- I imagine it would be easier to fast when you're working and busy, than at home surrounded by food.
Bill-Wow, that restaurant looks great. I love clams, and crabcakes, and lobster....ah, summer food. Sounds like the portions were just right.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

I'm really embracing the first day of Spring this year. Last year, it kind of got subsumed into worry and fear -- which doesn't really fit the themes of spring. Today, I'm thinking about balance (equinox = equal day & night) and renewal.

Exercise +50, 955/1400 minutes for March

BillBlueEyes: We also had fish and chips last night, directly from the Knights of Columbus. Your exploration of different restaurants sounds fun. There are St. Louisans who try a different KoC fish fry every Friday in Lent. We like the one close to home, so we just stick with it.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #114  

S/C/G: +71/+20/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning,

Yesterday was a successful fast day and I'll try it again today. I'm re-reading Penn Jillette's weightloss book and it is motivating me again.

Have a great day!
Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #115  

Three cheers for working with a new Google extension which allows me to work with my juniors in real time as they answer the question" Are all American's treated equally?" The writing was thrilling as was the number of case studies they could name that we have studied for a quarter. The answers were complex - under the law, in practice, in the medias. This is just what I had hoped. The computer program allowed them to see each other's answers in progress so the less able writers could model their own responses. I am hopeful to start the new quarter with this tool. Also, the freshman came galloping along on a tour and it was good to have young people back on campus.

Now I am off for three days because of a dentist appt. on Monday. DH and I have decided to go to Truckee. All is well.

I walked on the treadmill for an hour. I think my foot is getting better.

Penny: I looked up "Penn's book." I need some inspiration.

Wave to all.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #116  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and the hike was good. It was a little too challenging for sil and I wasn't having a high energy day, so I suggested we stop before the last of the 4 climbs and wait for my niece and friend to finish and come back. She was all for that. I wanted it to be a challenge, but also fun for her. We had a nice visit and only missed the last 400 feet of a 2000 ft climb/hike. We got out at 7 and did about 6 1/2 miles today with a fun scramble for part of it. Both sil and niece really liked it and so did I. They are outside enjoying the nice 80 degree weather now. Otis is having a wonderful time keeping track of everyone and then sleeps really well at night cause he's so tired. Anyway, it is just so fun to have company again. We used to have so much. I've lost exactly 2 pounds in the last week and I'll take it!

Maryann That new Google extension sounds great and I bet you will enjoy having the students back. I'm glad your foot seems to be doing better.
Penny I'll have to look at Penn Jillette's book. I love new motivation anytime.
GardenerJoy Spring seems so much happier this year. I hope it stays that way.
Curlyjax I think talking with a good friend is just the best. Sometimes just saying the things out loud helps so much. I'm glad you'll have your own office and the commute is much shorter. I bet it will be good just to go in where there are other people too.
Bill Your take out dinner sounds really good. I wish we had a good fish place near by. Coming from Washington state I still worry about how fresh the fish is here in AZ, but I'm sure they fly it in daily.

Tomorrow will be another day of hiking, maybe Tom's Thumb, we'll see. I'm glad my company is willing to hike daily. I hope you all have a great first day of Spring.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - World Poetry Day (since 1999, by UNESCO in Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a Mediterranean dish made with bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, zucchini, carrots, onions, and spices including lemon zest - served over a dollop of brown rice. Each serving was topped by a slice of lemon cooked with it. So good and yet so simple. I did enjoy eating a corner of a cooked lemon slice with each bite. DW made enough to be served again. Would seem to have been a fairly low calorie meal since we each had only one thigh, but these were large - apparently chickens are being bred bigger and bigger for selling by the piece. Alas, we did wash it down with the baguette; there's nothing low calorie about a baguette.

Excitement was having a couple sit in our living room to chat. IN our house. INSIDE! According to the CDC, since we're vaccinated and they are from the same bubble and aren't in any risk group, that was legit. They kept their masks on, "To protect you guys; all three of our kids interact at school every day." I felt like I was discovering the rules of etiquette and socialization from scratch. Like a first date or something, LOL. We'd set up the table and chairs on the patio but it was still too cold to be comfortable out there.

I learned, once again, that some folks who had been working downtown Boston have adjusted to working from home. And then moved to avoid paying the high rents around Boston. Moved to Portland, Maine with all the amenities of life without the big city prices. We might be experiencing the second great exodus from the cities.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A little balance in life seems like a stellar idea right now. I do like the idea of rotating around a list of Knights of Columbus fish fires.

maryann - Yay for young people back on campus. Love that you're mastering new computer tools. Have a good drive to Truckee.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for making a decision to take care of your SIL's climbing ability instead of honoring your driven reach-the-top goals. Neat that Otis is enjoying the company.

curlyjax - Congrats for coming to acceptance about the new job. And SUPER congrats for hanging out with your DD.

Penny. - Kudos for success. Again! Is this the Penn Jittette book, Presto!: How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales?

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Siting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

Many dieters I've counseled were astounded by the impact of instituting these three eating habits. Some said it was the first time they had really tasted all of their food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 61.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-21-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Cukes => zucchini. Duh!
Old 03-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #118  

Not a satisfying day yesterday. I got the bills done and the groceries. I was very unmotivated to cook anything or even figure out where to buy takeout from, which I suppose is good in a way, I wasn't that interested in eating. I've had it with figuring out what to eat all the time. Some of the time I spent with DD was good and some not so much. I ended up feeling sad again. Maybe this is some kind of hormonal thing going on. I'm just going to have to ride it out, and avoid over-chocolacating myself.
This morning I'm going for a walk with a friend, and I may end up grabbing dinner with manfriend; I do want to keep him as a friend. So it should be a good social day.
Gardenerjoy- I like your idea of balance and renewal. We are all definitely so thrilled with spring this year.
Penny-yay for successful fast. I forgot about Penn gillette losing that weight.
Maryann-yay for a good teaching experience and new technology.
Karen- That's great that your guests want to be active and be outdoors. I'm sure Otis is having such a good time.
Bill-that meal does sound good. Interesting about Boston flight. Maybe the rents will ultimately go down for those that remain, one can only hope.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #119  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. Dh and the guests had Crumbl cookies or at least part of one. I am so proud of myself for not having one. I'm going to have to get them to put what is left in the drawer or something. The pink box is on the kitchen counter and I don't want a constant reminder that there are cookies in there. This morning we're hiking Sunrise and then we'll make a plan for the rest of the day. Otis has been exhausted at night. I don't think he even moved last night. I'm not sure I did either.

Curlyjax I hope the sadness lifts soon. Some socializing today is bound to help.
Bill Were the cakes cooked in the dish? I've never had a cooked cucumber.

Well, I think I'd better grab something to eat before it's time to go.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #120  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Truckee is beautiful and I will cross country this morning. Food was OP.

BBE: I had to think about the first big exodus out of the cities. Oh yeah! The fifties. I teach that. Hee Hee.
Karen: Hiking company is the best.
curleyjax: Glad you have lots of company options.
Closed Thread