Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was healthy food but too much. So maintenance again. I am not walking because I have the foot apt. tomorrow and I don't want to exacerbate a condition. The new shoes came and I am optimistic they will help.

I am drowning in a sea of correcting. It is an apt metaphor because it does come in waves. I have MacGyvered a standing desk with cardboard boxes. I will alternate with desks because my back can't take so much sitting. Looks like the kids will be coming back the third week of March. I think that is good. I am a little dubious of what it will be like to teach kids who have basically grown feral for a year

curleyjax: Legumes were my ticket in WW for filling. Edamame especially did the trick. But I have never really been successful so take my advice with a grain of salt.
BBE: No jab effects is a good thing.
gardenerjoy: It is a great satisfaction to check the box on a big thing like insurance.
Penny: Yeah for a reasonable food budget and exercise.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

DH's new insurance card was accepted by the medical system when he went in for his PSA yesterday. We're very interested in this number because the radiologist suggested that it might be useful for decision-making. If it's much higher than previous, that could mean that the cancer has spread a little outside the prostate -- radiation would kill any cancer cells in the prostate and near it. If it's about the same, that could mean that the cancer is contained within the prostate -- so there's a good chance that surgical removal of the prostate would take care of it for good.

One of today's goals is to get him off my insurance. Since he's six years older than me, that's going to be a big drop in the premium payments.

Exercise +45, 90/1400 minutes for March

Penny: Thanks for your suggestion to turn off notifications from the prostate cancer partner support group. I did that this morning. Another friend warned that the problem with the internet is that you're likely to see only the most extreme cases. I think that's doubly true for this support group because the people who need the most support are the ones who will tell their stories. At this stage, I don't need to see the worst possible outcomes.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. I had no bread for my usual breakfast so replaced it with oatmeal- still topped with avocado, salsa, and sauerkraut, and was surprised I didn't even think about food again until afternoon. I'm usually thinking about food again by 10am.

Making oatmeal feels like too much work in the morning but I had to try it again today, even with bread made.

Bill, yay for no adverse symptoms. I sure napped and felt zapped of energy after but not too bad.

Joy, I'm glad you got your FB settings fixed. Those little things help with anxiety so much for myself.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #19  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food as on a generous plan yesterday due to our 15.4 mile hike with 3500+ feet elevation gain. Actually I'm at the lowest weight that I've been since August 20th. I'm elated and my plan is to stick with a good plan during this time I'm in Tucson. I arrived here just after 8 this morning. I took my friend to the surgicenter at 10 and then came back to try to get on the guided Tahoe Rim Trail thru hike . . . no luck. We will either have to look at a guided section hike or just do something ourselves. I will be working hard to stay sane during my time here. I am feeling very used and have promised myself I will go home on Sunday and without my friend. She is going to have to hire a little help. I've gone to the grocery store cause there wasn't much food in the house and now it's time to put the sheets on her bed. Oh, that is after I fold the clothes that are on her bed. Whine, whine. Pray for me if you are a prayer . . . no pray for my friend so that she doesn't notice my bad attitude.

Penny Now that sounds like an odd concoction for breakfast, but if it was satisfying and you liked it then great!
GardenerJoy That's great news that you can take dh off your insurance and save money. Fingers crossed for a good PSA number.
Maryann That is great that the students will be back in the classroom. Will summer vacation remain the same?
Curlyjax I think it's wonderful that you're enjoying your peaceful surroundings. I often find I'm not hungry, but a little bored, procrastinating or? Are you really feeling hungry? Maybe it will just take a little time to adjust.
Bill I thought sure I would feel poorly after jab#2 also, but nada. Dh did end up making an appointment at the 24/7 stadium on the other side of town all on his own. He made the appointment yesterday at noon when they were first being scheduled and goes for #1 tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. I was so proud of him.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:13 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - FDR, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" (1933, Inauguration speech)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We had reservations to the zoo. (I find is so odd to make reservations at a zoo - the ultimate walk into place in my life.) She covered the whole place in one hour and twenty minutes. She's been there before so she can lead the way; all the animals are familiar to her. And, when she's done looking at something, she's DONE. PERIOD. NO GOING BACK. Have to be in the grandparent mode to travel with her.

Eating was on plan with limited daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Unplanned snack in the car was a handful of animal crackers that the DGD rejected because they weren't her favorite. I guess that I'm pleased that she feels that she doesn't need to eat something just because it's offered. Then I set the opposite example of what I'd like her to be like by accepting them when passed up to the front seat a few at at time where I'm driving. I'm not that picky about animal crackers. Dinner was a frozen Trader Joe's entree, Chicken Alfredo Fettuccine. It was remarkable good for a meal from a bag; we'll have it again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for the milestone that the new insurance card was accepted. Here's hoping for good numbers from his test.

maryann - Neat that you "MacGyvered a standing desk." Do you think that it's good news that the kids are coming back?

Karen (karenrn) - Hope you continue to survive in a challenging situation.

curlyjax - LOL at, "I'm turning into a hermit that doesn't leave the house during the week." This COVID isolation is doing this to all of us.

Penny. - Oatmeal topped with sauerkraut is a new one for me. Hoping that the culinary police don't drop by for an inspection.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

Dieters who weighed less frequently or not at all tended to gain weight. And a Brown University study of 314 dieters determined that people who weighed daily were better able to follow their diets, felt less depressed, and were less likely to binge-eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 56.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Eating was OP yesterday. I zipped out to the store to buy some PB2 that is mentioned on WW. It is powdered peanut butter that reduces a lot of the fat and calories. I tried it mixed with some other stuff and it wasn't bad. I also bought berries on sale as I haven't had any in awhile.I didn't get to my outside walk, but did some stationary biking as I talked to a client; more for hip exercise than anything else. I finally booked an appt for a routine checkup with a dermatologist which I've been meaning to do for eons, and I started looking into the process of donating a car; Step one; "have the title in hand before you call" instructed one website. Good reminder, I need to find it
Today I do have a friend coming for a lunchtime walk which will be great.
Karen- It feels like real hunger, although maybe its thirst. I should look at the calories of what i'm eating too. Good job setting boundaries with your friend; she can certainly hire help.
Penny- that is an interesting combo! Funny, I'm always hungry after oatmeal but my soda bread fills me up.
Ack its late, need to get going.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

Oddly, for me, I think I'm having trouble with sleeping too much. We've been getting to bed before 10. My brain decided that now that it's "spring" I shouldn't get up until sunrise which is just before 7. But that's a long time to be in bed. I woke up with lower back pain, today, a normal symptom of being in bed too long. I noticed on my calendar that after we "spring forward" on the 14th, sunrise won't be until 7:30. So, I need to remember that it's still winter and that I like getting up before sunrise in the winter.

DH's PSA numbers were up a little. We're going to ask the doctors, but our guess is that it's far short of "skyrocketing" which makes surgery still seem like the best thing to try first. The upside of my little foray into too much information a few days ago was that we got motivated to talk more and to look at the material we've been given. We're now pretty confident that we know what questions that we want to ask of the doctors and that the answers will lead us to a decision that we can be at peace with.

Exercise +55, 145/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #23  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan. It's only two days in a row and I already have a challenge tonight. I'm staying at a lodge with dinner reservations and will most likely order a drink or two.

Karen, good luck in Tuscon.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #24  

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday. I haven't made a plan yet today, but I will and I know what I'm going to eat already and have had my Cheerios for breakfast with almond milk. I brought my breakfast and lunch food and have been to the store twice already and will soon be going again. My friend did fine in surgery and I don't think she really told me this, but I'm pretty sure it was a partial knee replacement. I am not totally sure how those work, but I dropped her off at 10 and picked her up at 2:30. She walked into the condo with the walker and it is is a little walk, more than from the driveway into a house. I know it is painful but they did a block which is probably wearing off and she is able to tolerate it. I am just not used to waiting on anybody. It doesn't come natural to me even though I'm a nurse. However, the main thing is she is doing better than expected and I won't feel uncomfortable leaving her here and going home on Sunday mid morning.

Penny Enjoy the drinks and the fun time.
GardenerJoy I'm glad dh's numbers didn't skyrocket. Maybe a little extra sleep isn't so bad just now with the extra stress.
Curlyjax I think it's always good to experiment with new foods. If even some of them work, that's a good thing.
Bill Kids are funny and yes it's good when they want to have their way that we love them enough not to care. The chicken alfredo fettuccine sounds good. I may just go to TJ's and buy some.
Waving to Maryann!

Well I think I'll head out to the store once again. I need some water and we don't drink the tap water here unless it's been filtered.

Don't quit thinking of me yet, I have 3 days to go.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Crispus Attucks Day (First American to die at Boston Massacre of 1770)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was my much-too-busy day of the week with two Zoom classes, an errand, two evening Zoom lectures, and sheets to put on the bed before I could sleep. The two classes continue for ten more weeks; the evening Zoom lectures are somewhat random.

The lecture by Ashley Hammond, newly named Curator at the American Museum of Natural History, titled The Last Common Ancestor, thrilled me to know that there are still paleontologists doing field work in Kenya looking for our ancestors. Alas, even that work is on pause waiting for travel to be safe in COVID times. I now know more about the pelvic bone than I'd ever imagined. Walking comfortably requires a different shape than is useful for swinging in the trees. Of all the jobs I'm not qualified to perform, examining fossil bones is high on the list.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with dinner at my computer Zooming while DW was on hers. Wasn't quite like our normal dinner together catching up on the day and swapping interpretations of the day's news. Dinner was omelettes, sweet potato, and fresh spinach. Good food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for numbers that are far short of "skyrocketing". Continued supportive thoughts as you plow through all the reading to understand your options.

Karen (karenrn) - Good news that your friend is doing better than expected.

curlyjax - LOL at "have the title in hand before you call" could be followed by, "You can't donate it if you don't own it, stupid." Berries on sale is always a fun feeling.

Penny. - Sounds like a fun evening. Hope you can both enjoy and be sane.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 2 Weigh Yourself Daily

A separate study of 209 maintainers fond that those who weighted daily were 82 percent less likely to regain their weight compared with those who weighted only weekly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 56.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

So great to have a good nights sleep finally.I was so tired yesterday I finally managed to get to bed and turn off the light at 10 which is early for me. I did go for a 45 minute lunchtime walk with a friend which probably helped wear me out.
I ate too many points but today is a new day. DD is coming home for a quick weekend so I may zip over to the grocery store tonight and get a few things for her. She wants me to make muffins but I don't want to have a bunch in the house and I don't have enough control to stay out of them freshly baked from the oven, so I may buy some. My first big challenge! I also need to pick up the house some. I guess its not just the kids making a mess!
Bill- those classes look really interesting. Is it me, or are profs much younger than they used to be
Karen- glad your friend is doing better. Waiting on people is exhausting indeed, i'm glad you can leave as planned.
Penny- good luck at the lodge, sounds fun.
Gardenerjoy-good luck with the decisions; glad you have more info to help sort it out.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #27  

Good morning coaches,

Food was not quite on plan yesterday. My friend ended up not feeling so well by the afternoon so planned dinner was not appealing. I ended up having a sandwich on thin sliced bread and also a couple of small crisp ginger snaps in the evening. We started watching The Black Church kind of late and hopefully will continue watching it earlier today. We were both enjoying it. My friend sleeps with her back and head very elevated and this morning her leg is quite swollen. At about 5:30 we got her rearranged with pillows under her leg and her leg packed in ice packs. I hope she can get a few more ours of sleep. It's a balance to keep the leg elevated at times, but then flat so that the knee is not bent. I'm hoping she can get turned back around in the next 48 hours.

I did get out for probably a 3 mile hike yesterday in Ventana Canyon which is just a couple of miles away. Today I may try to go for a bit of a walk at Sabino Canyon which is also nearby. My food plan is made for the day and I'll have my cheerios soon.

Curlyjax What about just sending dd over to Starbucks or someplace to get a muffin? No need to sabotage yourself.
Bill That sounds like a busy day. Lots of zooming. Boy I wish I had bought that stock.

Waving to the others. I may pop back in later.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches. A marathon Drs. Day yesterday . Up for an early blood test for me than the new podiatrist. I am already mad at myself for sticking to the old one so long. This guy took one look at my foot and celared it is my high high arches again. I declared it was the outside of my foot. Nope. I was walking funny. So I am back to battling the plantars fasciae. It has now become chronic with age. Even the new orthotics the old Doc gave me won't work. So i am now on a course of steroids (Really? For my Feet?) and twice a day Alleve. He modified the new orthotics. I must also ice everyday. Then off to DH's appt. He did not qualify for "watch and wait." He is a great candidate for surgery with a low risk number. So in three months he will go back and set a date. This is good for him because he wants to plan it during slow season. We will face possible surgery complications later. One day at a time.

Knowing that I am now on steroids and anti inflammatories has given me new motivation in increasing good fat and protein in my diet and lowering carbohydrates. I am already on weight gaining medication. This will be a miracle if I maintain. For this 12 day course, I will cut out wheat. I will bike today to get off my feet and do stretches and planks at home.

gardenerjoy: I sleep a lot. It seems like a waster of time but that is how I function.
Karen: I had to learn by doing things I don't want to but because they are kind are often the best kind of service. I learn a lot about myself and then get to go home and appreciate my life.
curleyjax: LOL about a new realization that the kids aren't the only messy ones.
BBE: You sound like you have a regular college schedule.
Penny. Enjoy the night of food temptation. As Beck says. It is not even a whole night, just a few hours of a day.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

I watched the sun rise while making my second cup of tea. I feel better today. But, I accept karenrn's suggestion that I might need more sleep, right now. Sleep is something that I want to keep assessing and not rely on assumptions from previous experience.

Exercise +45, 190/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #30  

Good morning!

Yesterday was over budget but my workout was very good.

I enjoyed my night out. After dinner and the soaking pool (think giant hot tub...not sure why they don't just call it that), with my friend, we parted ways because she had to check out early for an appointment.

This morning, before checking out, I got a knock on the door with room service and turned them away because I hadn't ordered anything. I was laughing at whomever ordered booze so early in the morning when they knocked again. Apparently my friend ordered me breakfast on her way out: a fruit cup, iced coffee and a mimosa. So, I was the one drinking booze at 9am. Haha!

Karen, nurses are the worst caretakers, aren't we? Ha! I mean I can do it but it's going to be all business.

Closed Thread