Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Monday came quickly. I was not great last night. Caught up in some family anxiety and college app anxiety. Then I had no desire to limit my food and chose some ice cream. Credit for intentionally choosing more fruits and veggies as well. Green smoothie chosen for breakfast and a healthy lunch packed.

Wave to all.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Karen - I saw you mention your “new young friends” at the Phit n Phat group. I looked Phit n Phat up and listened to one of her podcasts. Is there some sort of group that is also called Phit n Phat?

Penny - it sounds as if you are having a great time. I was in Greece only once, and I remember stopping in at a bar for some water. However, I did not know the word for water and no one seemed to be able to figure it out - perhaps because no one goes into a bar and asks for water. Finally, I thought back to my Latin and said “aqua” and they did understand that even though it is not Greek.

Maryann - anxiety is the bane of mindfulness. Credit for your wise choices.

Curlyjax - I’m going to try and take a page from your “productive day” book and get the house in a semblance of organization before DH gets home. I’m so excited about your car, it sounds beautiful. I got a Nissan Rogue last year and one of the features I like is that it beeps at you if you are changing lanes using your turn signals and someone is in your blind spot. (My husband pays no attention to these various warning noises it makes.)

GardenerJoy - great meal planning for the week.

Bill - thank goodness they actually preserved the wetlands. It is so lovely to see wildlife.

Well, the house sale on the rental property went through! And after the closing, my DH went BACK to the house and spent two hours winterizing the pond. I decided not to try and explain to him that he was really trespassing because he felt he was doing something nice, but still. I have not figured out how to talk to him about these things without sounding naggy, so sometimes I just say nothing.

Then, DH was on his way home with the packed car and he got a flat tire about 15 minutes after he started. He’s staying overnight with a friend and will try to get the tire fixed tomorrow. I guess that will give me an extra 1/2 day to get the house sorted out.

My leg has been bothering me lately which is disappointing because one day last week it was very nearly normal. I was hoping that was the start of “the fix” but apparently not. I’m pretty sure it’s sciatica or piriformis syndrome which is related. I am so over this. Did light water exercise tonight for an hour and also the gym this morning with the personal trainer. We really had to modify the exercises at the gym because my leg really hurt, which is why I decided to do the water exercise late in the day and not something more strenuous which would stress my leg. It's funny, some exercises help and some hurt and it's not readily apparent which ones are which until it's too late.

Last edited by CJZee; 10-21-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - National Nut Day (since 2000, by the UK's fair trade, farmer owned company)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Resistance exercise, CREDIT moi, was carrying a plant in a large ceramic vase to the curb for some gardener to scoop up. It came into our life via a funny route and is destined to depart marked FREE on our curb. This neighborhood has a good reputation for rapid pick up of stuff left on the curb. DW once put some Hostas out in plastic bags after splitting them in her garden and the next-door neighbor grabbed them and had them planted in his yard in minutes.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. We stopped by a small market after we got out of an evening event and picked up a container of beef brisket. DW found a ciabatta role in the freezer to go with it for a late dinner. Since it was a 12 ounce container, we resisted the temptation to just eat it all; 4 ounces are left in the fridge for someone's lunch. We saw a preview of a documentary about the ecological and aesthetic coevolution of Papua New Guinea's Bosavi rainforest region, Voices of the Rainforest - played in 7.1 surround sound. If you follow the link on that page to a 17 minute preview you can get a hint of the power of the film. Beware, the first minutes are simply quiet darkness. Each singer, drummer, and songwriter in the film is recognized - acknowledging that 'primitive' people are real people. They received royalties from the CD that was released a few years ago and are using that money for legal representation for their rights. Hard to believe that their way of life can be sustained; there's oil and minerals in that part of Papua New Guinea and the exploration exposes those living at the "last place on earth."

maryann - Yay for "intentionally choosing more fruits and veggies."

curlyjax - Better at T-shirt than a grass skirt for which you may not readily have appropriate social occasions.

CJZee - HUGE Congrats for no longer owning that old house. LOL at your DH as the well-intentioned trespasser.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Remind yourself what you were like five weeks ago, before you started this program. If that's hard to do, picture yourself during a holiday or special event that occurred around that time. In particular, take a look at the changes in your behavior.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 240.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #124  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I think I've missed a couple of days here. Sunday I did a 12 mile hike and yesterday I did a very short 2 mile hike. Food was on plan both days. I saw a tarantula again on Sunday. So odd to be walking down the trail and see those huge things. Yesterday I went to the dermatologist for the first time in four years because I have some roughness on my chin. It's nothing and she gave me some cortisone and luckily the rest of me is fine too. It seems that a number of my friends and husband have had some spot that needed to come off and I was thinking maybe at a certain age they just find something to cut off. Luckily not yet for me. Today I'm getting my eyes checked for the first time in years. My distance vision is very good and I wear readers which I just pick up here and there, but I know I need to be checked for glaucoma, cataracts etc. Otis saw the vet yesterday for lip fold dermatitis (it's stinky) and has an antibiotic. They love him at the vet and he was pretty good. I'm working on my Uncluttered class and yesterday went thru the linen closet and found excess sheets and blankets to donate. Today I'll get rid of the extras for our bed. I think two sets per bed is plenty; it's all I really use anyway. I'm so glad my husband is on board too and is willing to talk to me about what I want to get rid of.

Bill I listened to a bit of the film and I imagine it would be really good in a theater.
CJZee Yes, Phit n Phat has a paid subscription called PNP Tribe (I think). Corrine opens the tribe 4 or 5 times a year and there is a one time joining fee and a monthly fee. The group I meet with us just a side group of local gals who all belong to the tribe. It's one of those things where there are lots of good ideas and I take the good and leave the rest. It's not a specific food plan, mostly the mental stuff. Many of the things align with Beck which I was following first.
Maryann Strong emotions really influence how I want to eat or in my case drink too. I hope your week is good and stress is minimal.
Curlyjax It seems you are having lots of productive days. Before you know it your surgery date will be here.

Time to get up and ready to hike, today is Bell Pass.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #125  

School started off well. We are doing computer projects in which the kids are making Google slide presentations of world religions. I am a little proud of myself for keeping in the tech world at 30 years into the profession.

Still adding fruits and veggies where I can. I am still on budget for the month and realized that the $1.00 I spend on a candy bar every day is costing me $20.00 a month. Maybe this will get me to stop the candy parade. I would like to go back to BBE’s rule of rare food opportunity versus mass produced sweets.

I plan Pilates for the day.

Wave to all

Last edited by maryann; 10-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:09 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday- 25,000 supporters in a women's suffrage march on New York's 5th Ave (1915)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Enjoyed a lovely fall day, albeit without much exercise. The potted plant left on the curb was gone within a day. Gone by a strong person (or persons) since it was a hefty lift.

Eating was OK ish, CREDIT moi. Lunch was the remaining four ounces of beef brisket leftover from the night before. I put it in the microwave for two minutes - which I thought of as a nobly short duration instead of three minutes. Apparently, the brisket and microwave thought that WAY too much. I spent many minutes cleaning up splattered brisket. Yuck! But, that what wasn't splattered, was really good. Brisket survives anything, LOL.

maryann - Neat to get your kids to see that there are more religions in the world than visible to them raised here.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for going to the dermatologist instead of just putting it off. I'm jealous of your unclutter class since I'm in need of that.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Before you started this program:
  • How often did you eat standing up?
  • How often did you eat mindlessly?
  • How often did you eat too quickly?
  • How often did you plan ahead of time what you were going to eat?
  • How often did you overeat or eat for emotional reasons?
  • ​​​​​​​How often did you criticize yourself (and become demoralized) for what you ate?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Not much going on here. I have continued to keep the kitchen area clean for 2 days, woo. Not sure what i am having for dinner tonight since i have choir and need to do eat quickly; maybe just good old pbj.
I talked to my brother last night; he is looking for a job and i hope he gets something soon. Its not easy to be in the tech word when you’re 55 year old male and need to work from home (due to various medical issues). He is so smart and has an impressive track record, but it sounds like it is a youthful industry, and he doesn’t have experience in start ups.
Bill- the fall has been spectacular this year I think; it makes commuting a joy.
Maryann- I wish I didn’t like mass produced sweets,but alas i crave them.
Karen-uncluttered class sounds like a great idea. You are involved in all sorts of self improvement projects, its great!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-23-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #128  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan except that I did have 2 White Claws visiting with dh before dinner. Weight was down a little bit so I'm happy with that. I'm heading out for a good hill hike this morning. I'm trying to be super prepared for a hike I'm doing with the group on Monday to Battleship. It's 12 miles and in the middle we climb up onto this battleship sized rock? formation out in the Superstitions. I did it last year, but it was a tough hike, so hoping to make it easier this year. My eye appointment yesterday was good. Eye health is good, distance vision in 20/15 and reader strength is 2.50 which is the same. They took photos of the back of my eyeballs and the doctor showed me the optic nerves, macula and the vessels. Everything was good and the pressures in my eyes are low, which is good. I continue to be grateful for my good health.

Curlyjax Having time is a huge help in doing all this self improvement stuff. I keep thinking I need to get busier finding a good volunteer opportunity and I'll get there one day.

Bill Having your fall weather sounds great to me. I have only had long pants on a couple of times so far and then only in the morning. It's still too warm, but it looks like next week will be cooler.

Maryann You are a rock star in your computer skills and all other areas of your teaching as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, time for breakfast and to get out the door. Have a great day!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #129  

Karen: forgot to mention I am impressed with decluttering class. Online?
CJzee: How do you list things for sale on Facebook? Do you do Ebay as well? My students laugh at me because I mentioned Facebook. They call it internet for old people. I am not on it but I would like to try my hand at moving a few things.
BBE: 3 minutes is a long time in the microwave world.
Curleyjax: credit for a clean kitchen.

Today I ducked under the 170 weight mark again. I did not Pilates but I did get my hair cut.

I have a handful of cash left in my budget game. I turned in a $5 target coupon to buy some treats for the classroom, added baking soda to what was left of laundry detergent to extend it through the month and dug out a couple of bars of that fancy homemade soap I was gifted to use it up. My husband is bemoaning his Irish Spring. It is only for ten days. I like trying to make do and the saved money is going to our Greece trip. I will plan pantry meals to eat that down as well.
Have a great Wed.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

I developed a muscle spasm in my back a couple of days ago. Stress, I suspect. Here are some things that help:
  • walking
  • NSAIDs
  • ice
  • stretching
Here's one thing that doesn't help:
  • food
Exercise: +30, 675/1200 minutes for October

karenrn: We had eye doctor appointments yesterday. Mine were fine. I'd been on an every 6-month schedule to make sure that I wasn't developing glaucoma. I'm not, so I'm back to yearly exams.
We had good news and bad news with DH's eyes. We've known for a while that he's got eye surgery in his future. The good news is that it can wait for a while and that we'll have a fair amount of control about when it happens. The bad news is that it's likely to be four surgeries, two on each eye, and that he may be nearly completely blind during the process which may take as long as six months. The prognosis is good at the end, though. I'm curtailing some of my ambitions for the next couple of years on the theory that I'll be needed at home--I'll stick with my current projects and relationships where I know that a six-month abandonment will be understood, rather than develop new relationships only to bail on them.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

GardenerJoy - having suffered from sciatica for some months now, your list of things that help (and don't!) are absolutely accurate.

Maryann - Facebook is the internet for old people, and I fit the bill, hah! Anyhow, you have to join Facebook. Then, in the search bar, type "Marketplace" and it will take you to a page where you can list stuff for sale. Once you get on Facebook, you should search for yard sale or garage sale groups in your area and join those. Once you get on FB, ask me some more questions if you have them.

Karen - congrats on your great eye health. I noticed the other day you said something about a "short" 2 mile hike. If only I could hike 2 miles, I would think I was king of the world.

Curlyjax - I hope your brother finds something, it is indeed harder when you're older especially if you have to work from home.

Bill - loved your potted plant story! Where I live, everyone puts their stuff out on the street or sidewalk that is still good but that they don't want and people (almost) always collect it. At my DH's house he just sold, the city would fine you if you put anything out on the sidewalk or street except after 4 pm on garbage day. So much stuff goes to waste that way, the good stuff my DH threw away was sad. He did give a lot to charities, but they only want certain things.

Today was my first day back working at the gallery where I show my art. My sciatica is really acting up so I put 5 pillows in different configurations on a chair and then put my feet up on another chair. Not very professional, but every time I apologized to a customer for it, people would tell me their sciatica story. It was actually kind of funny and I think I sold more than normal because we all had a connection.

Tomorrow I go have an initial meeting with a gastroenterologist in preparation for colonoscopy, then to the regular doctor to see if he can do anything about this sciatic pain I have. At least that's what I think it is. I think it's piriformis syndrome. The chiropractor told me to tell the doctor to give me an anti-inflammatory shot into the piriformis muscle. I have never heard of this, but I will talk to him about it tomorrow.

I've done really well in my eating the past 5 days or so, under my calories each day and not hungry!

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - United Nations Day (Came into existence 1945)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Finally declared her ready for the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) so that she could see the mummies. One of the books we read to her had a mummy. She had asked a zillion questions - a discussion of mummies spills into the notions of life, death, and life after death. With a relentless mind of kid, it's difficult to draw boundaries. So, off we go to see a mummy. The current display area is better than I remember from my last visit to that area. In one notable display, the four stages from cloth wrapped mummy to sarcophagus were easy to see. She carried 'Baby', her favorite doll while at our house the whole time. The room is seriously darkened and we asked if she felt frightened. Always got the answer, "No." Finally, she said "Baby is getting a little bit frightened." So we went off to see a large Jackson Pollock on display. The whole thing worked because I bought her two tiny grave figurines from the gift shop; she got to choose from some twelve options - choosing the cat and the sphinx. As I carried 'Baby', she carried the two figurines which helped her from touching. I sent her mom a picture of her in front of Degas The Dancer - one of my favorites. (Yes, that picture is from the Met in NY.) Then we took her for a brief walk around the nearby Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Then to chase the Canada Geese in the greenway area nearby. Then for an hour romp at a playground near her home before returning here. She held up the entire day.

Eating was OK ish, CREDIT moi. Lunch was from what was available at the cafeteria at the MFA. Highlight of my day was the cashier loudly proclaiming that she could save me a bundle of money by combining three items on the tray into a Child's Value Meal instead of individual pricing. Whatever. Unfortunately, I didn't plan to be called upon to finish DGD's slice of cheese pizza. It was truly mediocre.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wish your DH well planning his eye journey. Sounds like a challenge even with its good prognosis.

maryann - Love that you do pantry meals to meet your budget goals. Yes, three minutes is long in a modern microwave. However, our's is decades old and takes longer than a modern one. Both my adult kids scorn its continued existence since it was here when they grew up. However, new microwaves are of a different size and won't fit in the exact space that shelving was built to accommodate this one.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a good eye report. When I grow up, I'm not going to wince like a baby when the doctor sticks that machine in my eye to measure pressure.

curlyjax - Some nights just have to settle for a sandwich for dinner.

CJZee - Kudos for five days under calories.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

How often do you do these things anymore? Now, take a look at the changes in your thinking. Before you started this program: . . .

o How often did you fool yourself? It won't matter if I overeat once, Calories don't count if I eat crumbs. I can't have a good time if I don't eat what I want. It's okay.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday was a bad day pain wise. I forced myself to go to choir and was glad I did. Tonight I have a dinner with some widows I haven’t met, all from Facebook: a friend of mind set it up. Looking forward to making new connections but I’m a little leery; I’m trying to focus on rebuilding my life and staying positive as possible. I went to a grief group once and it was very depressing, I didn’t go back. I want to be supportive to other folks but can’t spend hours on the phone listening to someone either.
CJZee- pain stories do bond people! I get a lot of sympathy from my clients when I limp and wince going from sit to stand. What kind of art do you do?
Bill- wow, that day would wear me out! She’ll be quite the museum lover.
Gardenerjoy- good luck with the muscle spasm.
Maryann- great job on stretching money.
Karen-wow, i have never had photos taken of my eyeballs, pretty interesting.

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-24-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #134  

Good morning coaches,

My hike yesterday was great and food was on plan except again I had 2 White Claw drinks at dinner. Weight is the lowest it's been in a month. I think I've cut calories a bit by decreasing my portions sizes just a little and decreasing fruit. I'm hiking again this morning and then need to be home for a repairman to come around noon. I had a delightful lunch with a friend yesterday and it was so good to get caught up. She recently started a very part time job at Crate and Barrel. When she told me about it (a few weeks ago), all I could think is that she has such a busy social life and yet she is now going to work. How lazy am I? Well, she is exhausted and wonders what in the heck she was thinking. She did it for fun, she doesn't need the money. I hate to say it, but that made me feel better.

Curlyjax I'm so glad your hip surgery is scheduled so you know there will be an end to the pain. I'm glad to hear your take on the grief group as well. My friend who was widowed in March is really struggling. It doesn't help that she is retired and lives in an area where she knows very few people, Tucson. I had suggested a grief group, but I don't think I'll promote that so much.
Bill I just love hearing about all the places you take dgd. I'm thinking I need to revisit the museums around here that I haven't seen in a long time.
CJZee I sure hope there is some help for your sciatica or whatever it is. My Mom once suffered terribly from sciatica and she swears she swam it away going to the Y and swimming. As for FB being for old people, yes and now I have to be on Instagram too in order to see some of my nieces and nephews photos.
GardenerJoy Oh darn the pain from a back spasm sounds miserable. Take it easy and even take it a bit easy on the stretching, but food certainly won't help. I'm glad you got a good report and I'm sorry about the process your dh will have to go through. It sounds like a good idea to limit your projects so you don't have the stress of feeling like you have those things and the care of dh.
Maryann Yes the class is called "Uncluttered" and Joshua Becker, who has also written a couple of books, has the online program. It opens about 4 times a year and people go thru it one week at a time. Week one was writing a sentence about our "Why". Week two is doing a cursory look at each room and filling a few bags of things to get rid of without going in to closets etc. I don't have anything like that so I got into the closets. This is to build confidence. Next week we start room by room. I'm also deleting emails and photos from the computer. I love your budget games that you do. I do the same, like using all the sample tooth paste from the dentist before buying more. I usually keep one of the small tubes for backpacking though. Also in the food category we call it "rotation". Trying to use up things in the cupboard and freezer before reloading.

Waving to Beth and Penny!

Up to eat and get out the door. Have a great day!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #135  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

I'm back! The initial damage on the scale is up nine pounds and I feel every bit of it. The eating was getting progressively out of hand, so it's good to be home.

Now I have to struggle with the cravings and the heartburn, but will remind myself it does not stay that difficult, and will get easier (nevermind that it was not getting easier before I left).

The trip was fantastic and involved two bike tours around Athens, and a yacht tour off of Mykonos. The yacht tour included a stop on Delos, a small island/ archeological site, with some hiking. We also stopped at a secluded beach for swimming off the boat. With all of the daily walking, it was a fairly active vacation, so that's good.

My sleep schedule is going to be crazy for a bit. I am up since 4:00am and got 15 bean soup in the crock pot. The house is lacking fresh produce.

CJZee, yay for selling the house and getting all of that stress behind you. What kind of art do you do?

Joy, I too love your list of things that do and do not help with back pain. I hope it resolves quickly.

Bill, credit for dividing the brisket portions into two meals. Lol at the microwave debacle. Cleaning the microwave is the worst!

Curly, I'm sorry the hip is hurting so badly. When is the surgery? I think I missed it if you said.

Karen, you are rocking these hikes out. Credit for getting down to your low, even with the drinks. That's a well balanced life, I say!

Maryann, where are you going in Greece? The little island of Mykonos was just about shutting down for the season. I was surprised the locals all work nonstop for six months and then don't work at all for six months. Not a bad lifestyle!
Closed Thread