Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I have never been so excited to go to a doctors appointment! Today is my consult with the orthopedic surgeon. I am hoping he’ll say he can do the easier hip replacement and that he has an opening soon. Parts of my life are put on hold until I know what is going on.
Last night I started working on my financial stuff which I keep putting off. I need to get everything online so my financial advisor can analyze it and help me figure out what shape i’m in. It freaks me out a little because i still don’t even bank online, but its time to join the digital world. And i didn’t eat while doing it so yay.
Thanks again for all the support peeps; you are part of my village!
Gardenerjoy- a UTI can cause a lot of trouble, its good they figured that out.
Penny- happy traveling! Will be so interested to hear about your trip.
Maryann- very productive day indeed. Thanks for reminding about cabbage soup, that is a good staple.
Karen- I’m with you, its always hard to figure out what dish to bring. A lazy day sounds perfect.
CJZee-I bet you have kept your strength from doing work at the rental house. Glad you are home and can get back into routines.
Bill-hope the cold is over soon. Treat yourself to some super soft kleenex, it makes a difference!
Beth- good luck with traveling and eating. Keep using that great willpower!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-08-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Weight hopped back into the 60s. This is a common two step recently. MFP says I have gained two pounds over the last six months so my first goal is down two pounds and keep it off for a week. Improving in sitting while eating.

Credit for stopping at New Earth ( our version of Whole Earth) and getting a salad with some sweet walnuts on top and some cranberries rather than just getting a frozen yogurt for snack. These kinds of decisions are important.

School is busy. I have to make midterm exams. We are on block schedule so a year is pushed into one semester.

Have a good Tuesday.

Last edited by maryann; 10-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #48  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The plan I wrote is for not going out to the hospital today, but we may well go out at about noon and I don't have a plan for that. So, Plan B is that I aim for veggies and opportunities to exercise.

Weight: NA kg. Exercise: +45, 255/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #49  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I just got home from my Bell Pass Hike and then taking Otis on a walk over on the greenbelt. He seemed happy to go and we got a pretty good walk in for him. I never did make my food plan yesterday, but I ate what I probably would have for lunch and kept portions small at book club. Everyone liked the bison one dish meal. I liked it pretty well too. It had a multi grain mix in it from Trader Joes that cooked quickly and had multiple textures. I'd like to think of something else to do with the grain mixture, partially because I bought two bags and the recipe took less than one. Weight was down this morning, go figure. It is always encouraging to see the scale go down, no matter why. These cooler temps are such a mood boost to me. I made it through summer, yahoo!

GardenerJoy I hope your mil is on the mend and will be better very soon.
Maryann We could be dancing partners with our two step of the up and down. Actually I think I know enough people doing the same dance that I could fill a dance hall . . . unfortunately.
Curlyjax Fingers crossed for good news at your doctor's appointment.
Bill I sure hope the cold leaves sooner than Thanksgiving. It seems like they used to last a few days so I hope yours isn't much longer.
CJZee Good luck not looking at the piles. It seems we all think our stuff is cool, worth something and so difficult to get rid of.
Waving to Beth and hoping Penny is having a good time.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #50  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I'm out in CA and doing well--white knuckling it through internalizing my rules, is how I think of it. I was tempted at the airport. Reminded myself I don't eat any of that stuff. Had experiences from h*** before getting to my hotel. Had to remind myself multiple times that eating junk is not a reward for getting through unpleasant experiences. Ordered and ate what I should (lettuce wrapped cheeseburger and a side salad). Was faced with options at breakfast--that wasn't too hard--my plan was to have a shake and I did. Lunch options were a bit tempting (and I didn't control) but I used the salad and fajita toppings to make a fajita salad--totally in keeping with my low carb plan. (and portions under control)

Read some of the Food Addicts in Recovery book last night--and it's just not for me. They talk about the 'higher power' being flexible, but it really does come down to a deity and I just can't go there. But a lot of the discussion of what it means to be a food addict rang true for me, as does the concept of 'no sugar no flour'. I'm going, right now, 'with no desserts, no baked goods', but am open to expanding if my rule is not enough. So that's my rule. CJZEE, I'm hoping that as I move down this path, my rules will become ingrained rather than something I need to force myself to follow--is there a better way to move to 'matter of habit' that forcing ones way through it?

Hope everyone is well! Heading out to dinner with co-workers and am prepared to make sure we pick a place where I can make good decisions! (No pizza!)

ETA: They ordered poke nachos as a starter. I speared a few pieces of sushi--no nachos. I ordered a burger without a bun and a side salad--a great set of choices that I feel good about--and then ate less than 1/2 the meal because I'd had enough. YAY for successes--and it didn't take knuckling through!

--Beth

Last edited by bethturnaround; 10-09-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:26 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Leif Erikson Day - the first European on North American soil (~1002 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Two meetings in one day feels like one too many. Especially since I had to be prepared for both of them. I remember the days in my early work career when I was required to attend a meeting and just sit. Sometimes listen. But usually leave without an action item.

At the evening meeting I tried to restrict the amount of trail mix that I nibbled. It was going round, and I acted somewhat like a hiker who needed resources to make the next segment of the trail. Alas, I was only fueling myself for the next segment of sitting at the table. Wasn't that bad, but I could have done better. If I had prepared better, I would have showed up with baby carrots as well as the trail mix. Gotta remember that. It would have taken getting prepared earlier than I did. Rushing out of the house doesn't leave enough time for thinking.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Looking for opportunities to exercise sounds like a good plan.

maryann - Yay for a salad topped with walnuts and cranberries. Compressed school schedule doesn't sound fun.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for cooler temps so your hiking is more comfortable.

curlyjax - Good luck headed toward online banking. It's useful to tap into the brain of a youngster for beating all the little barriers.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Ouch for bad travel experiences - Kudos for recognizing that they aren't a reason to eat.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Your sabotaging thoughts about weighing in might be similar to the thoughts you had about your weigh-in last week. Here's another sabotaging thought that might surface tomorrow.

Sabotaging Thought: I know it's reasonable to have lost only a half pound this week, but I'm still disappointed.
Helpful Response: My weight is going down. That's good! It means that what I've been doing is working. I should celebrate each and every half-pound weight loss. If I hope for something unrealistic, I'll be disappointed. I'm going in the right direction. That's what counts. I really deserve a lot of credit for using the mindset and behavioral techniques I've learned and for weighing less than I did when I started this program.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 236.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #52  

I have an appt for my total hip replacement surgery and its going to be outpatient! Because I am a "young healthy patient" which is nice to hear Its dec 11 and my brother in law can come down to drive me and hang around for a day, thank goodness. So many of my friends work now, I don't know what I would do. I'm realizing there is a lot to do before that, including stuff like getting a flu shot and updating my will just in case ( I know that is grim but it needs to be done anyhow). I've been sort of minimalizing it but it is indeed surgery so i need to have the house and myself prepared. I wish I could do it earlier and be off in the fall but oh well, as long as it gets done and I can start to feel better.
And no one said anything about me needing to lose weight before it happened so that was good.
Karen- your bison dish sounds interesting. I bet you are quite happy to see the cooler temps!
Beth- that book sounds good. Keep the faith, you are doing it!
Wave to all and happy hump day!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-09-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

MiL was unexpectedly transferred to a nursing home late yesterday. We're headed out today to check on things. The nursing home is about 20 minutes farther from us than the hospital, so it will be a big day for us.

I have a big question mark for my lunch plan. I'll try to fill it with salad, but small towns aren't always forthcoming in that area. Whatever it is, I'll box it in as a rare Nursing Home Visit Lunch and not something that has an impact on the rest of my day.

Weight: NA kg. Exercise: +35, 290/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #54  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

My food was on plan yesterday and weight continues to creep down. I've made my plan for today and I did a 90 minute hike this morning. I decided to cut it short cause I want to spend a little more time on housework today and I have a hair appointment right after lunch. I saw the movie Judy about Judy Garland yesterday afternoon. I thought it was good but quite sad. I didn't realize she was only 47 when she died.

GardenerJoy Going to the nursing home is my worst fear. I hope the one mil is in is a good one and mostly that she doesn't have to stay long. I know they try, but usually the staffing is not good.
Curlyjax Wow, December 11th will be here in no time. Will you have an appointment with the joint replacement area at the hospital for teaching before the surgery so that you will know what to expect as far as your needs and rehab? I don't mean going to rehab, and actually dh didn't even have PT afterwards, but they instructed before surgery on what exercises he would need to do at home. He did very well both times.
Bill I pretty much don't have trail mix available except when I'm on the trail. Just can't keep my hands out of it.
Beth Sounds like even though it isn't easy, you are doing a good job with your choices. Let's hope you get home and the scale rewards you.

Well onward with the housework.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #55  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Checking in from Istanbul, Turkey.

I'm having a fabulous time and the biggest suprise has been the cats all over the city! It really is a city of cats. The whole community supports them and treats them with respect, love and kindness. We watched the documentary "Kedi" and it goes into the history and relationships with the cats. It is such a beautiful film. Highly recommend!

Eating has been good. I try to stick with vegan as much as I can but cheese, especially Turkish feta, came roaring back in. Also, I chose a spinach looking thing and discovered anchovies inside. It was delicious. Tomorrow is a seven hour food tour.

Bill, lol at used to just have to sit in a meeting and sometimes listen. "Coulda been an email."

Curly, that sounds all good about the hip surgery. Good to have a plan in place finally.

Joy, I hope the nursing home is a good one. Sorry it's even farther away.

Waving at the rest. It's midnight and I am going to try to sleep against my mind's wish to stay up.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi coaches!

On the eating front I have been exceptionally hungry since I have come back home, so have allowed myself to eat each meal until satisfied - otherwise I’m afraid I would start to snack. It helps that I am keeping within my eating window. Although I’m not on a keto diet I have found in the past that eating low-carb helps quell my appetite so I have additionally tried to keep the carbs pretty low in the hopes it will help my hunger. I also bought a bag of that riced cauliflower which only has 80 calories for the whole bag so I mixed that in with both my lunch and dinner. It always amazes me how much I can physically eat and still feel as though I’m not full. I wish I could figure out how to change that.

The gym personal training/weight lifting went fine yesterday. I still have pain in my right leg, and the trainer is having me roll it and ice it. It does seem to be better today but it’s hard to tell until I do something my leg doesn’t like and then it lets me know. So now I’m stretching and rolling and icing, haha.

Atkins bars were on a BOGO sale, and I put two boxes in my cart yesterday. I am proud to say I put them back. It's hard for me to stick to one bar AND they have roughly 200 calories per bar. I figure I could eat an entire small filling meal for 200 calories. Or probably 400 calories since I would eat at least two of them. Yay me.

Penny - wow, you’re in Instanbul! How exciting!

Karen - you must have a very strong core with all that hiking.

GardenerJoy - I am of an age when I remember the “time before salad bars”. I think they really started coming into their own in the 1970s. All the best with your MiL.

Curlyjax - will your surgery be the anterior method? I am looking at hip replacement in the future, so I’m anxious to hear all about your experience. “Young healthy patient” is wonderful.

Bill - the only way I can avoid trail mix is thinking about everyone’s dirty hands dipping into the trail mix before me.

Beth - you are doing so well! I am so interested to hear your rules.

Maryann - teachers must be so stressed nowadays with everything that is put on them. I love reading how you excite your class with actual learning!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #57  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

This crazy work schedule is rough on me--we meet at 6 am, chat a bit, drive an hour to the site, work all day, then an hour back. I just can't eat that late. All I had tonight was 2 glasses of wine :-) and a bunch of cheese. I didn't want anything heavier even though my meal allowance is considerably more than the nothing I've spent on food for the last two days. (Last night the client paid directly)

I made good food choices again today. Once again, I didn't have control over lunch. But it turned out to be the same options as yesterday, so I made a fajita salad and had some watermelon as well. I really feel good about that--and it wasn't hard to skip the enchiladas, layered tortilla something, chips, and tortillas--yeah, lots of carb options. But I don't eat desserts or baked goods. (Watermelon might have been considered dessert but I am not eliminating fresh fruit) Oh--and there were donuts, and I didn't seem to find that hard. I don't eat donuts. This is a comparison to the attitude "I'm not going to have one now but I'm going to have one at some point in the future." I don't eat donuts.

I feel as if I'm re-labeling myself--I don't eat sweets. I don't eat baked goods. Portion control, as long as I don't eat sweets/trail mix/other triggering foods is actually something I can do. Once I start something like trail mix, though (Hey Bill!) I don't stop. So, trail mix has to be on the "I don't eat" list. I'm not sure yet if I don't eat nuts, but I think maybe I don't. Or at least, I don't eat nuts when they're in a refillable container. I might be able to eat a small bag of nuts. We'll see. I think I don't eat dried fruit either, although my world might be more comfortable if I gorged on prunes :-)

G'night all!

--Beth

Tomorrow is another "I don't control lunch day, but I'll have bars with me so if there isn't a good option, I'll have

Old 10-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - The Great Chicago Fire finally extinguished after 3 days (1871)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She got mesmerized at the New England Aquarium. Her old friend, Myrtle the Turtle, dropped down in the huge, central salt-water tank to take a nap right in front of us. She got enchanted using a touch screen display where you select different attributes, such as color and shape, and the fish that match that are displayed. I was annoyed because those very same fish were swimming right in front of us and she was looking at a screen. As could easily be predicted, she watched the seals demonstrating their ability to jump, clap, and humiliate themselves for some fresh fish. Apparently, seals don't chew; they just swallow.

Eating was only OK; CREDIT moi for that much. Dinner was Beyond Meat Beyond Sausage on ciabatta bread with grilled onions and green peppers along with our standard green salad. The main ingredient of the sausage was pea isolate protein. The taste and texture were superb; we'll have it again. The cooking instructions are very explicit; kinda makes me think that the texture could be boiled away if cooked too long.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - When in our twenties, a friend was sent to a nursing home for monitored recovery. It felt odd visiting her among all the old folks. She was well fed and got released quickly.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a ninety minute hike.

curlyjax - Congrats on being a "young healthy patient" by the independent assessment of your hip doctor.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Neat that you're a person who doesn't eat donuts - that's one hurdle you don't have to worry about. Fajita salad and watermelon sounds like a good choice.

Penny. - Waving back toward Istanbul, Turkey. So excited about what you'll get to see. Hope the current situation doesn't make your visit tense.

CJZee - Smart to recognize that you have to have an eating strategy that'll keep you out of snacking. The challenge with buying bars at BOGO is to avoid eating them as Eat one Eat another.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In
Once I develop realistic expectations
for weight loss, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 237.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #59  

Not much to report other than I woke up feeling hungry despite indulging in a spot of dessert. I went to my widow friends house to hang out and didn’t eat anything there. It was a really boring day at work. I emailed my temporary supervisor to say fridays are light and was there a way i could help the agency in the afternoon. This way if i don’t seem productive i can say i did tell them.
Penny- thanks for mentioning that documentary, it looks great. I bet the food is fabulous. You must be walking your feet off!
CJZee- yes, its the anterior approach which is supposed to be much easier to recover from. I will be happy to share all the details! Great job on putting back the bars.
Karen- I don’t know if they offer teaching before hand, that sounds like a great idea. I would like to know about exercises. They gave me a booklet but its generic and covers knee repairs as well, which is different.

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-10-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

I want to catch up on all the posts but I’m running late. Have to get my mid terms copied. The students would be so disappointed

Food is not great and I’m at 70 exactly which is just not acceptable. There is a episode of Explained on Netflix entitled why diets don’t work I’ll watch and hopefully discover something,
Closed Thread