Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #151  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with a walk to a couple stores, and weight is holding.

I was able to move bed time up to 5:30pm from 3:00pm. Tonight I hope to push myself to 7 or 8.

Joy, I hope MIL transitions home without issue. Credit for being her support.

Curly, so glad the financial meeting went well.

Karen, you're prob out enjoying your hike. Credit for making the plans.

Bill, credit for a good enough eating day. The ballet sounds good. I really enjoyed the Pink Floyd rock ballet I saw once and it sounds like a similar show.

Maryann, I like the no fattening foods, only fattening portions quote. I feel that is the difference in how naturally thin people eat, but for me the fattening foods are the addictive foods that lead to the fattening portions, so I guess it matters. Wouldn't it be so great to have that freedom.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Sunday.

The Santa Ana wind is blowing and PGE (our power company) has shut off dozens of counties to prevent fires. No effect on our house but the walnuts will be delayed in drying. I have admiration for my husband who continually rolls with the punches.

Yesterday I bought only fresh fruit while still determined to live off the pantry and freezer until the end of the month. I have 15 dollars in my wallet. When did that become such a scary thing? For decades I left the home with no credit card and no phone and if the car was filled with gas I was fine. When I was 18 I travelled to Europe and was $2.00 short the last day to get to the airport. I had no credit card. I had to beg the money from a traveling companion. Still I think plastic money and phones give a very false sense of security in some cases. Maybe that is why it is so easy to spend.

In the use it up mode, I made tomato soup in the Vitamix from aging mediocre tomatoes; homemade scratch rolls which were devoured immediately; and brownies from a long- forgotten mix. DH asked “What has gotten into you?” I also cooked chickpeas in my pressure cooker for a stew tonite.

Weight has been at 170 for three days and I seem unwilling to do anything about it. I did as pledged however and ate many fruits and veggies, took a three mile walk and ate mostly sitting down. I will do the same today

Last edited by maryann; 10-27-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:47 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Harvard University founded by vote of the Massachusetts General Court (1636)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It rained here like Noah's flood. Just came down hard. I have no idea how the New England Patriots played a game in Gillette Stadium. Maybe that's why they won.

Dinner was leftover pizza - just the best. Maybe it should be sold in the supermarket as pre-leftover to be heated up for dinner. Maybe it's good because we just remember the original. The good part about leftover pizza is that I can't overeat because there's not enough. More snacking than I wish, but I was trying to figure out how Blockchain works. My take is that it's simple, but it's hard to figure out that it's simple.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad that it seems that your MIL continues well under your care. Pretty thoughtful on your part to plan for half-turkey sandwiches in advance.

maryann - Amazing that your Vitamix can resurrect aging mediocre tomatoes. Thinking of you guys with the Santa Ana wind, the fires, and the outages.

Penny. - Is this the one? Pink Floyd's The Wall: A Rock Ballet? New to me; neat. LOL at your attempts to get back in your own time zone. Kudos that your weight is holding.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

It's important to continually take stock of what you've learned and the progress you've made. You need to recognize that you've lost weight because of your own efforts. You can continue to make this happen. Reinforce this idea by writing in your diet notebook exactly how you're different, as Brenda did.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 241.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I was feeling so blue on and off yesterday, and then I had a burst of energy and feeling mentally good at the end of the day. Not sure what caused it-I had a little chocolate but that never affects me that way. I can see now why people take drugs, I’d much rather feel better. Anyhow I got the dishes done and sorted thru some work papers i’ve been meaning to do forever. Sloooooowly things are looking better in the house.
Woke up hungry today so that is good.
Penny- I forget how much travel can confuse our bodies!
Bill- good quality leftover pizza is definitely the best!
Maryann- glad you aren’t affected by the fires. Good job using up your supplies.
Joy-glad MIL is doing better.
Karen- wow, you get a ton of emails!

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-28-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #155  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in to say I had a good hike yesterday and a rather large dinner in anticipation of a long hike today. Last weekend when I did a long hike I kind of hit the wall going up a steep trail. I honestly hope that last nights chicken burger and tater tots help me get up Battleship this morning. I'll let you know how it works. I've also packed a turkey sandwich, a cut up apple and a few cold very small potatoes. My husband used to swear by them when he was doing long runs or bike rides.

I've been awake since 1:30 which isn't great, but I'll make it. I leave for Tucson tomorrow morning, so I may be a little spotty in my posting this week. Take care.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #156  

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is holding. I tried to stick with 1200 calories but it's difficult to stick with three meals when my first meal is at 2am. I just ate my first meal at 3:30am. Maintenance might have to do for a bit.

Maryann, that fire stuff looks so scary, and feeling for the disabled getting their power shut off. It sounds like there is already a casualty related to loss of power to a breathing machine.

Bill, yes that looks like the Pink Floyd rock ballet. So fun! Mmmm I haven't made pizza in a while and it sounds good.

Joy, I hope day 2 with MIL went well.

Curly, a boost of mood and energy is so great! I'm glad you got some things accomplished.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #157  
Green Tomatoes

I ate very lightly yesterday and only food from my house -- CREDIT!

We spent the night and, unfortunately, my packed food didn't stretch to breakfast. I ended up making a pretty bad choice at a fast food restaurant. Although, I just checked the calories on-line and it wasn't as bad as I thought. So, I won't let that de-rail my day. Does anyone have a suggestion for a not-too-unhealthy fast food breakfast if I need this again?

The last 24 hours with MiL went better than the previous 24 hours, so I hope we're on the right trajectory!

Exercise: +60, 1070/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The musical "Hair" opens off-Broadway (1967)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Big deal for me: for lunch I ate exactly ONE of the two remaining slices of pizza, CREDIT moi. It's a challenge for me to leave the last remaining piece for another time. It continues to be so so very good. We just don't do pizza often enough around here.

I learned that China changed dynasties by everybody going to war against everybody else. Ancient China went for years and years of prosperous peace. Then CHAOS as the ruling dynasty got lazy and no longer served the people. Then a new dynasty formed and a new set of years and years happened.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for eating only food from your house. Choices from a fast food restaurant are so limited.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion of tater tots as a noble food for a strenuous day.

curlyjax - Congrats for bringing a little order to your house.

Penny. - That's some whacky eating schedule. Hope you eventually return to local time.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Below is what Brenda wrote in her diet notebook to remind herself of how far she'd come. She added to this list over time. Whenever she had a crisis of confidence, she would read it over to remind herself just how much she had changed.

Before I started this program, I couldn't consistently: . . .

Leave food on my plate.
Feel hungry and not stress about it.
Say to myself, NO CHOICE.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #159  
Green Tomatoes

I lost a kilogram in October, more than half of it in the last three days. I'm celebrating, even though there's nothing sustainable about the last three days of my life. I'd started telling myself a story that I wasn't capable of losing weight, any more. Clearly, I am. I just need to find ways that don't involve a sick family member, sleepless nights, and weird food choices (although in small portions!).

Exercise: +30, 1100/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #160  

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is up a pound.

I managed to go to sleep at 9pm and wake at 4am. Progress! I'll be good enough by our halloween soirée and my work weekend.

Karen, I hope the hike was a success!

Joy, credit for eating well under those circumstances. Yay for improvement in MIL!

Bill, major credit for mindful eating with pizza. I don't trust myself with it just now.

Last edited by Penny.; 10-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #161  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I took half of an Costco sleep aid last night and slept close to 8 hours. Thank goodness. The hike yesterday was great and I do think eating a bigger dinner was helpful. I had plenty of energy the whole time. I did take a little tumble climbing up some rocks that I couldn't get a good hand hold on, but I'm fine. I shredded my shorts and had to tie a bandana to my belt hoops to keep my behind covered for the way back. It worked like a charm. We had a very odd dinner of things in the refer that I knew dh wouldn't prepare for himself. I baked sliced firm tofu with some teriyaki sauce on it. I bought a 4 pack at Costco a couple of weeks ago and we have really liked it. We probably haven't really had much tofu in the past 15 years, but I think we'll have this again. We also had some roasted potatoes, asparagus and a caprese salad. It was very tasty, but kind of an odd mix of things. This morning I'll pack to head to Tucson for possibly the rest of the week. I'm going to take some food that I know I'll eat and try to not let this be a reason son get off plan.

Penny I'm glad your sleep schedule is getting back to normal. That is probably the most difficult part of travel for me.
GardenerJoy It's always good to know we can lose weight. Just finding the winning combination is a little tough at times.
Bill I think my dh would live on pizza if he could. Good job on having just one slice.
Curlyjax I know my thoughts control my feelings and I have really been working on being more aware of my thoughts and trying to change them when necessary. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it really does. I try to remember what thoughts have helped me to feel good in the past.
Maryann The fires in California are just awful. I can't imagine how frightening it must be for so many. I hope you are okay.

Waving to Beth and CJZee.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #162  

Gardenerjoy: my go to breakfast fast food is Starbucks spinach feta wrap or the reduced fat turkey bacon sandwich. Starbucks also has oatmeal. McDonald’s has good coffee and scrambled eggs. Dunkin Doughnuts has a Canadian bacon English muffin.

Karen: Three cheers for Battleship. The fires aren’t near me but they are affecting air quality.

BBE: China is struggling to retain its historic isolation but technological communication is here to stay. It has to remain accountable now.

Penny: there is something to be said for maintenance.

Teaching was good but I am eating more than I should. That is the bottom line. I have been focusing on fruits and veggies but I need to limit even those, Today’s rule is no candy.

Last edited by maryann; 10-29-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:18 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - The Bosphorus Bridge connects Europe and Asia (1973, Istanbul)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Attended a talk where I learned that the Aboriginal peoples of Australia have been there for 40-60 thousand years. That's a long, long time. The talk described the 1938 expedition to learn how colonization had affected the indigenous people. The Australian government was thinking about shifting its policy from segregation to assimilation. This expedition set anthropological standards for respecting people and their culture. It's the only time in my life that I got excited about different styles of basket weaving.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi. I spent two hours with my teaching partner without touching the bowl of roasted almonds he'd set out. I did, however, do my day's worth of snacking at home. I proved just how much a sports wimp I am; I went to bed knowing that the Washington Nationals were losing and felt disappointment, but not enough to stay up late and cheer into my laptop. Woke up to read that they'd won Game 6, forcing the World Series to Game 7. I'd love for the Nationals to get their first World Series.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good point - it'd be great to lose weight without someone being sick facilitating it.

maryann - Good plan: "Today’s rule is no candy."

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for that tumble. LOL at your improvisation with the scarf. In the list of a hundred reasons to carry a scarf on a hike, I've never heard that one. Happy trip to Tucson.

Penny. - Did you get to cross the Bosphorus Bridge? Stand with one foot in Asia and one in Europe? Hope you continue to tell us about your trip.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

Below is what Brenda wrote in her diet notebook to remind herself of how far she'd come. She added to this list over time. Whenever she had a crisis of confidence, she would read it over to remind herself just how much she had changed.

Before I started this program, I couldn't consistently: . . .

Stop eating when I'd finished what was on my plate.
Make exercise a priority.
Stick to my plan.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Confession: I got into the Halloween candy. I shouldn’t have even bought it as I realized later I can’t get up and down all night answering the door. I conferred with DS, and we’re going to leave the lights off and not participate; I’m going to man friend’s for dinner. I was going to leave the candy outside but its supposed to rain so that isn’t going to work.
I should let DS bring it to school but i’ll probably snag a few more pieces realistically.
Bill-too funny about the basket weaving!
Maryann- no candy is always a good rule.
-Karen thank goodness for that scarf!
Penny- glad you’re getting back to normal sleep, that’s so important.
Gardenerjoy-yay for losing weight in any situation.

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-30-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #165  

Happy to report Day 1 no candy!!!!

It felt very good and I realized that for many months I had not been eating candy and then the practice insidiously crept back in. Day 2 no candy is today and I will roll it into the general rule I got from Beth years ago : No sweets at work.

Credit a pressure cooker batch of split pea soup using up the bits and ends of bacon our butcher sent us with the FFA pig. I love that appliance and can’t believe I was so scared of it. I also made smashed red potatoes with the additional bacon and some bleu cheese in the same cooker for the boys. I have enough soup and such for lunches.

One more day of the month and I have $5.00 in my wallet. Wooo who.... It feels good to make that goal. I wish my ability to set a weight goal was as strong. I do think I will go back to writing a food plan. I did it for six months and stayed under 170 and in the month I have abandoned it I have been above so I am writing down my food for today.

Wave to all
Closed Thread