Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

So I'm sitting here contemplating taking out the garbage, as pickup is tomorrow. The only problem is they put new sidewalks in this week and they are higher than the old sidewalks, so I can't get out the side gate where the garbage cans are because it scrapes the new sidewalk. That means I will probably sneak my garbage into one of my neighbor's cans. I hope they don't see me. And I'll have to get dressed because I went to the pool this afternoon (yes - I did some water exercise!!) and then just put on my nightgown afterwards.

I ate under my budgeted calories today, finally. All week I have been so hungry and a couple of days went over my budgeted calories. Not by much, so it's okay, but still. Today I wasn't ravenous, so that was good. I have stuck to my eating window, and don't eat anything after an early dinner, so credit to me. I did make good food choices all week, just ate too much I guess. Personal trainer again tomorrow.

Karen - you amaze me with your hikes.
Maryann - I continue to look for that best solution to weight loss. It sure seems way harder than it should be. I'm sort of a driven person, so making goals and doing stuff to accomplish them is not hard for me. But losing weight is not as easy as it sounds. Good luck with your once-a-week weighing.
Curlyjax - the first car I ever bought was during my first job out of college. Up to that time, I rode my bicycle. You can imagine how car salesmen react to you when you ride a bicycle onto their lot, hahah.
Bill - that memorial service sounds lovely, and the story about plotting to die on the same day made me laugh. Thank you.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Chuck Yeager in Bell XS-1 makes 1st supersonic flight at Mach 1.015 (1947)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, viewing the Honk! parade that winds about and ends up in Harvard Square, Cambridge for an Oktoberfest celebration. It's a glorious sub-amateur affair. Folks step out of the parade to hug their friends. We knew several people walking by who waved at us. Some groups march as if they'd just met. One float handed out FREE hot dogs with kids following to supply ketchup and mustard (I didn't take one, CREDIT moi). The best bands perform on a stage in the Square. They come from all over the country and a few from overseas. I skipped the Oktoberfest part because I'm too drawn to the food carts and FREE food handouts. The food carts are good, including some of top notch examples of cooking of India and always some jerk goat from Jamaica.

A new-for-me situation was a small drone that flew over the parade for a few minutes. I didn't mind being photographed - it was a public gathering where one can be expected to be photographed. I did object to a dangerous item just a few yards over our heads that would be dangerous if it suddenly lost power. I never spotted the person controlling it.

maryann - Thanks for "It is more about adding healthy foods and behavior."

Karen (karenrn) - I join the chorus cheering for a casual 10 mile hike.

curlyjax - Congrats for tackling your financial stuff.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super performance at the restaurant - Kudos. Love that your DD is concerned that you not feel left out.

CJZee - LOL at having to get dressed to take out the garbage. Do you have to hire a carpenter to shorten your gate now?

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

When Brenda came to see me, she had more than 125 pounds she wanted to lose - and was convinced that she'd never be able to lose it. After all, despite the fact that she had "been on a diet" for 35 years, she was still growing heavier rather than lighter. She felt doomed to endlessly repeat her cycle of crash dieting, followed by out-of-control eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 238.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Excitement yesterday was taking DS to a minute clinic for sports physical; we forgot his had expired and he can’t participate in practice until he has a new one. We have done this before with no issues. However, the NP thought he had an erratic heartbeat (!) and couldn’t sign off. She advised we see his primary and get an EKG. DS was upset he’ll be missing practices until this is cleared up; I was upset about his heartbeat!! It’s probably nothing, but after all my DH’s medical issues I don’t get comfort from “its rare and unlikely” DS has been feeling fine but you hear these terrible stories of young athletes dropping dead from undiagnosed heart issues, so I am a little concerned. Of course the office is closed today and she said we didn’t need to go to the hospital unless he felt bad so first thing tomorrow.
I did not eat over it just sobbed a lot and called a friend for reassurance.
CJZee- no, losing weight is definitely not as easy as it sounds. Too funny about your garbage cans!
Bill- honk parade looks so fun! Good job resisting the hot dog.
Beth- great job on the birthday dinner! I don’t have Costco, but that sounds helpful for sure.
Maryann-once a week weighing is a good idea, i should get back to that rather than sporadically.
Karen-wow, that is a lot of golf courses around you! Good job staying on plan.

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #79  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

It's been a good day. Yesterday food was also pretty good although the plan was not written. I did have a couple of drinks though. I just took company to the airport and I've written today's plan and alcohol is not on the plan. The gal and I, along with hiking Suzanne, hiked Camelback Echo Canyon trail this morning. I think Mebie (company) was surprised how strenuous the hike was, although she is in great shape and did fine. I think maybe she was surprised that I do hikes that are that strenuous. We all enjoyed it and the weather was perfect. I enjoyed the company and now I will enjoy not having any for awhile. Our niece and nephew decided not to fly down with the baby until March, which I may have already mentioned. They don't want to take the baby on a plane during peak flue season. I don't blame them a bit and the airlines refunded their ticket.

Curlyjax I hope you can get ds into the doctor first thing so that you can be reassured that he is fine . . . of course I hope he is just fine.
Bill I love the looks of the Honk Parade. It reminds me very much of the Procession of the Species in Olympia, WA.
CJZee I'm glad your appetite has diminished. I just hate it when I just feel hungry, hungry, hungry. Luckily it doesn't last too long.
Beth It sounds like things are really clicking for you with the mental work of dieting. I love the idea of letting go of the resistance.
Maryann That is so nice that dh suggested the walk.

I hope you all are having a great day. I'm just getting back in the swing of things around here. I did enjoy the company and it worked well for me to have Saturday off to do my own thing and then do a long hike alone yesterday.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #80  

Karen - I totally agree with your sentiment about company and you expressed it perfectly: I enjoyed the company and now I will enjoy not having any for awhile. My nephews and niece all live in the Phoenix area and I have three newish little grand nieces and nephews (is that what they’re called?). One nephew had twins a few years ago, and another just had their first baby. Nephew is an odd looking word.

Curlyjax - let us know as soon as possible about DS. Hope all is okay.

Bill - I love those “home town” kind of parades. And FREE food is really hard to fight. I have never had jerk goat even though I went to Jamaica years ago. If I see some, I would try it.

Beth - so I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the explanation of your thought processes, it is very helpful and motivational for me. So thank you for articulating what you are going through. And belated happy birthday, congrats for not falling into the “birthday hole”.

I had a pretty good day today, another session with the personal trainer. My leg still hurts but I’m off the Advil so I guess it must not hurt as much as it did. I ate under my calories again and writing this has stopped me eating more tonight, so thanks coaches for that.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #81  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

I suggested going out to dinner tonight—ordered my cheeseburger as a lettuce wrap. Did have fries—but a reasonable amount—and was a better choice than the breaded onion straws which I love.

Tomorrow will be an all product day. I’m going to my weight loss class after missing 4 weeks in a row—and will miss next week, too. (Work travel again)

Early to bed for me tonight—I need to get more sleep

—Beth
Old 10-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - "I Love Lucy", starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, debuts on CBS (1951)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent a huge chunk of my day talking to a guy who knows just about everything about the aviation industry from the Wright brothers to Chuck Yeager. Absolutely fascinating. Ended with lunch at a local seafood place where I had a bowl of clam chowder, CREDIT moi. Now clam chowder is hardly a low calorie dish, but other items on the menu included fried onion rings. I have difficulty with items that are 'included' in an order because they are then FREE.

Walked only to the subway. It was a clear and cool day - just enough to be convincing that winter is not coming. This morning the near-full moon was cast on the kitchen floor when I went down to make coffee. Such a welcoming sight.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, your Procession of the Species in Olympia, WA looks super fun. Neat that you got some feedback that your hiking seems strenuous to others.

curlyjax - Hope things get clear with your DS quickly. Awful that he's missing his practices.

Beth (bethturnaround) - A reasonable amount is always a good step. Breaded onion straws sound deadly.

CJZee - LOL at "Nephew is an odd looking word." Sure is. Yay for being off Advil - a good sign of progress.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

"I'm just not the kind of person who can lose weight," she told me. She continued to be skeptical that I could help her, even after I described the mindset and behavioral strategies I'd teach her. But Brenda said that she was willing to try.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 239.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #83  

DS is fine, whew! He saw one of the pediatricians who said his heartbeat was fine, and she took a quick look at the EKG and said that was fine too. Apparently he has sinus arrthymia which is common in healthy young men. The minute clinic person was young and probably didn’t know about it. A cardiologist has to sign off to clear him and all will be well.
This episode reminds me that the most important thing to me is my kids are okay! And my health too.
Karen- I totally hear you about the company! Glad you guys had a nice time.
CJZee- my hip is more painful than ever. I wish I had dealt with it earlier. Have you had an xray? But then again i’m not sure i’m doing all the stretches, i’ve kind of lost track.
Beth- good job on the dinner choice.
Bill-clam chowder sounds like a fine choice in comparison to the other stuff.

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-15-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Gave myself time for an extra cup of coffee this morning. My goal is to be more relaxed with the kids and that comes with more time and space. So I put in the time yesterday for prep and gave myself space this morning to get rid of the “must get done” focus. If I am going to keep teaching for awhile, I want to run on a slower pace. Less anxiety, more enjoyment.

Weighed myself yesterday. Couldn’t break the habit. I am going to try to stay away from the scale the rest of the week. Pilates tonite.

Last edited by maryann; 10-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't mean to disappear. Things aren't going horribly, but my standards are slipping, so I want to jump back in.

I'm behind on my exercise goals for October, but there's plenty of time to catch up.

I'm not making the worst choices I could make, but I know I'm eating too much because I wake up feeling full and bloated in the middle of the night. I hate that feeling! So, there's my motivation to reduce serving sizes and make good choices.

MiL seems somewhat improved -- getting a decent amount of sleep which helps. She's got the family in crisis with what is probably a misunderstanding. DH is on the phone with the nursing home to make sure that they aren't asking him to drive her to her house, take her in, and have some staff member assess how she would do at home (but not help with this whole process because of their insurance). Our assessment is that he isn't qualified to do that in her current condition. And her current condition isn't good enough to send her home, no matter what her house is like -- she isn't getting herself out of bed, yet!

Exercise: +30, 500/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #86  

I'm trying to keep my eating window at 7 hours or less, and am doing pretty good with that. (I do eat a longer window when I lift weights twice a week.)
I'm trying to not eat at all after an early dinner, and I have done well with that much to my surprise.
My biggest problem seems to be I'm trying to keep my calories around 1500 or less, and I have gone over by 100 - 200 calories several times this week.

I am thinking I can just exercise more to make up for it; or leave the house so I'm not tempted to eat (I work at home); or make a rule about not eating after lunch until dinner time.

Curlyjax - Thanks for asking about my hip. Yes, I had an x-ray recently and was told I have osteoarthritis in both hips, but they told me I probably will be able to go a couple of more years. I'm not even sure it's my hip that's bothering me, it feels more like sciatica, but maybe something in my hip is exacerbating it? If there is more than one thing going on, I guess it is difficult to figure out what to do. I always feel like I have to figure it out for myself and then tell the doctor what I think I need. Also, you weigh so much less than me, I have to concentrate on getting more weight off to consider the surgery.

Bill - I forgot to answer you about whether I will have to hire a carpenter to shorten my gate because of the new sidewalk. The answer is "yes" unless DH can figure out how to do it. He will be back next week! Yay!

Last edited by CJZee; 10-17-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #87  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick check in. I did a strenuous hike this morning and then food was on plan all day. On the phit n phat group I'm in we're working on the hunger scale all week and today's assignment was to leave 1/2 of dinner. I left half of the main coarse. I'm hoping for a little drop on the scale tomorrow. Personals tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 AM   #88  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today was supposed to be a 5 product day but it turned out to be a 4 product day (no meals), which I'm not supposed to do. I let the evening get away from me and now it's too late for me to eat--I don't do well if I eat too close to bedtime. I'll be more mindful of the time tomorrow. I'm doing medium with water--I need to up my intake and start tracking how often I feel my water bottle.

I spent the evening reading about African safaris....the plan is to go in 2021.

karen: Credit for following your plan! Leaving 1/2 of dinner sounds hard--easy at a restaurant where portions are big but not easy if you've given yourself a 'right-sized' portion to start with

CJZee: Even at 1600-1700 calories a day, you will lose. Condensing one's eating window is fascinating--although i understand how it'd be hard to do that on weight lifting days. Have you tried making rules controlling any food you eat between lunch and dinner (e.g. 'a fat and a protein at 3:00, not to exceed 200 calories--that sort of thing)? I think it's hard to not eat from lunch to dinner if you're eating a small lunch.

joy: Hello! I'm glad you're MIL is doing better, but it sounds as if it's still hard--and that makes it hard to stay on track.

maryann: Good luck on the slower pace--it can be hard to remember to slow down, which seems kinda counter intuitive, doesn't it?

curlyjax: I'm so glad DS is fine--being a parent seems to be non-stop worrying.

Bill: Clam chowder over fried onion rings does sound like a good choice!

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday- Noah Webster, Father of the American Dictionary, born (1758, Hartford, CT)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Worked with my partner on course preparation. I do like working with someone on a project that isn't clear to me what's the right way to go. On the other hand, I'd hate trying to write a computer program with another person when I knew what I was doing.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled salmon - we never tire of that. The green beans weren't especially good. Maybe they were from our garden and lounged too long in the fridge. It's nice to have such a steady flow of good food that there's room to note when something isn't perfect. When I go down for breakfast, I'll open a new pound bag of almonds; today's the day I switch from walnuts to almonds with my morning fruit. Major events in life are to be noted, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for a family crisis that isn't even real - on top of a situation that is real. I hate the complexities of medical insurance.

maryann - Such a neat gift to give yourself some extra time

Karen (karenrn) - Leaving half of dinner is a challenge - unless it's going into the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.

curlyjax - Glad DS is fine. Good to be reminded that not every person in the chain providing medical care is experienced.

Beth (bethturnaround) - I couldn't stop puzzling until I figured out the other interpretation of this sentence: "Clam chowder over fried onion rings does sound like a good choice!" - because the image wouldn't leave my brain of a bowl with fried onion rings on the bottom and clam chowder poured over.

CJZee - Kudos for thinking about ways to change your routine to keep on your plan.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

As the weeks went by, Brenda slowly but steadily lost weight - but she remained skeptical. After she lost 10 pounds, she said, "It won't last." After she lost 20 pounds, she was confused: "I know the scale says I've lost this much weight, and I know my clothes are looser, but it just doesn't seem real."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 239.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #90  

The saga continues: I'm not sure the school is going to accept the documentation we have as proof of a physical, and I'm not sure where to go from there if they don't. Argh! And DS phone wasn't working yesterday so he didn't receive my texts.
I forgot to say I went ahead and bought the car over the weekend, a Honda CRV. I got a crappy price since i'm not good at negotiating and I just want to get it and be done. And then last night I had to drive 30 minutes there and back since they forgot to have me sign a form, grrr. I'm picking up the car tomorrow hopefully and will put all this behind me. Its the bureacratic week from ****.
CJZee- i'm actually heavier than my signature but i don't have the heart to change it. I hear what you're saying about figuring out what is going on. Good thing you can put off the surgery for a bit.
Beth-Africa safari would be so cool!!
Ack its late must run-

Last edited by curlyjax; 10-16-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Closed Thread