Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Ack, I got into the Easter chocolate again. At the end of it I noticed that it really didn't taste that good so I must remember that. I did have a meal of zuchini noodles again which hopefully balanced out the calories a little.I need to box up DD's chocolate and seal it up so I can't get into it. I did some stationary biking for my hip so credit for that.
Today i have a day off and am treating myself to a massage to help loosen up my hip and back. I have other errands to do, and then need to focus on planning and packing.
I think my son may be doing his "prom-posal" today, asking a girl to the prom. She's a friend, not a girlfriend, so fingers crossed it goes well! The boys have to do some kind of gesture with a prop these days, you can't just ask someone.
Bill- thanks for the mention of that book, it sounds great. I love libraries so its right up my alley.
Penny- I'm so impressed you can make banana bread and not eat it!
Karen- hope you're feeling better today. Impressed you did all that walking even while you were under the weather.
Beth-good idea to bring your own food. I'm with you on avoiding is better than starting a temptation.
Maryann- hope today goes better with the kiddoes. Teenagers make me crazy, i give you a lot of credit for working with them.
Gardenerjoy-thanks for the reminder of the blue book. I should get back to reading it too.

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-03-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday went a bit better eating-wise. Today is my third day in a row of feeling like I have more list than day. I'm hoping it's the last. The entitlement section of the blue book recommends finding non-food rewards. My problem is that the non-food rewards always take more time than eating a treat, time that I'm feeling short of when I'm in this mood / mode. So, I want to think more deeply about what, exactly, would be helpful in that moment. But, maybe not today. Today, I'd like to make enough progress that tomorrow feels more relaxed.

Exercise: +40, 70/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #18  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

My workout buddy texted me this morning asking if I might be interested in a womens tour to Iran next fall. It looks exhausting but definitely interested.

Beth, I hope the meeting plan goes well. Pizza is a major trigger food for me too.

Karen, I'm sorry you're not feeling well.

Bill, shark talk and naan would be a good day for me too.

Curly, you bought the Easter candy too soon! lol I'm going to probably wait too long and it will be slim pickings.

Joy, yay for a better day! Good luck getting through the to-do list.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning. School continues a challenges although I haven’t been sunk yet. I continue to act professionally. That is what they pay me for. My food however remains sloppy. Part of the issue is I just don’t feel 100% yet. This is an excuse I know. Shrink today. Yoga today if possible. If not I’ll walk in the treadmill.

Off to fifth period.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #20  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I am still not feeling 100%, but I sure feel a lot better than my husband did when he had this bug. In fact he still has it. I'm hoping my immune system is keeping it at bay a little better. Mostly I have a scratchy throat and hacky cough. Food has been good today, but exercise was minimal, just a walk with Otis this morning. I have done some organizing around the house since I am housebound with the car still at the shop. It should be done this afternoon. My car is old, a 2007 BMW X3 with over 100,000 miles on it. I want to drive it for as long as possible, so of course once in a while something needs to be fixed. It's a perfect car for a hiker, cause I am not afraid to leave it at the trailhead and it can get to most trailheads. I just received the audiobook, Atomic Habits, which has been on hold through the library. I think I read about one of you reading it previously. Anyway, I've just started listening to it and think it will be good and fit right into Beck, Phit n Phat and my thoughts on habits and health.

Maryann I so admire the way you handle the students. They are so fortunate to have you.
Penny A trip to Iran is certainly something to think about.
GardenerJoy I often have more day than list, but I guess I'll be glad about that.
Curlyjax I'm agreeing with Penny, it was too early to get the Easter candy. When I buy the Halloween candy I put it in a drawer and try to forget about it, and that's for like 2 days. I know the limits of my self control.
Bill The only Dahl I've ever had was on my trek in Nepal, but I have to tell you it probably wasn't very good dahl . . . which is why I haven't ever made an effort to have it again. Now, Naan is a different story. I love it.
Beth Sounds to me like you're doing pretty darned good, especially considering all the social events. I loved Jersey Boys too. A friend and I went to New York City a few years ago and saw several shows. I loved them all. When did you live in AZ, and where did you live?

Waving to Onebyone!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #21  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

The meeting ended up having different food than usual--one option was salad and a piece of chicken--so that's what I had. I did have cookies, though. I wanted more sweets on the way home but didn't have any--didn't stop any of the places I thought about stopping. Told myself that wanting more didn't have to translate to having more--and it didn't. Didn't think about some of my other possibly more useful self-replies such as "I deserve to eat healthy food" "I deserve to be smaller and healthier" "I control what I eat". I need to practice more.

Exercise was PT--only one more session and I'll be graduated from PT! I'm so thrilled at how much better my knee is--I don't even think about it anymore.

I got home to discover that one of my two shelf units had been delivered so DH and I assembled it and I did some reorganization in my office closet. I have a huge walk-in closet--but we took down all of the (hanging style) closet rods/shelves when we had it painted, so I just had tons of stuff piled in boxes on the floor. Now half of it is well organized. The other shelf unit should arrive tomorrow and I'll really be able to get that space under control. I need most of the stuff that's there--it just isn't organized well because there weren't any shelves. Eventually, we'll put up proper shelves but for now, I have a solution until doing the closet "properly" reaches the top of the priority list.

In family news, we got an early bad-news phone call. My stepDD's mother died suddenly yesterday--turns out it was a heart attack. My stepDD is an only child and her mom never remarried. I think DH is going to go to help her do the arrangements and such. I'm not sure if I'm going--I'd rather not but will if stepDD really wants me to. I only met her mom once and she wouldn't even talk to DH or me.

karenrn: I'm sorry you're not feeling well--and with both of you sick one of you can't even take care of the other. I lived in Tucson from 1989-1995. Both my kids were born there and my mom still lives in Tucson. I did graduate work at the University of Arizona and then taught there for four years.

maryann: Some days just seem to be hard. You'll get through this. I hope your psychiatrist appointment went well.

Penny: A tour to Iran? That sounds absolutely amazing. What an incredible opportunity to see a part of the world most Americans never get to.

curlyjax: It's amazing what a production Prom has turned into. I hope the girl says yes to his promposal.

Bill: Seals are tastier than people--that's useful to remember if I ever find myself having to choose between them :-)

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - School Librarian Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Most tiresome for me was being the big bad wolf trying to get into the small playhouse at the indoor playspace. She wouldn't let me in. I huffed and puffed. Then I came down the chimney into a pot of boiling water and then ran away. Was fun the first time - even the second. However, she invented the game so it just kept going on and on. Her skills while climbing the structures just keep on improving. As does her daring. We brought her home with a bump on her forehead - but not bad enough for her to complain or stop. Last night her mom texted us that she was OK.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. The outdoor grill didn't survive in the high winds so the salmon had to come inside to get finished up. Today I'll have to check to see if the winds took down the flame or whether it's just out of propane. I rather enjoy driving my electric car to the place to get gas - grilling gas. Makes me smirk. No one else gets the joke.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy School Librarian Day. Do you miss working in the schools?

maryann - Congrats for "haven't been sunk yet." I shudder at the thought of a whole room of middle school kids.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the thought of driving a 12 year old car. May it run forever.

curlyjax - Good grief! Adding the burden of a "prom-posal" onto the burden of having to ask a girl to the prom is just too much. I'm glad that I don't have to do high school again. Yep, Easter chocolate is old and poor quality.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Salad and chicken is a good choice. Sending supportive thoughts to your DH and stepDD during an emotional time.

Penny. - A trip to Iran is just over the top interesting. Do you need a valet?

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

You've been reading a lot about sabotaging thoughts in this book. I've included the most common ones that I've heard from dieters over the years. I've also found, though, that every dieter has additional sabotaging thoughts. It's important for you to learn to recognize your unique sabotaging thoughts and to respond to them effectively.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 192.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #23  

Yesterday was a very productive day. Among other things, I double checked on my passport date at the bank to make sure it hadn't expired, because I had this sudden feeling of panic. Of course it was fine, I'm sure I had checked on it before. The massage was great and loosened up my back but my hip continues to hurt a lot and I just won't be able to walk as much in Scotland.Oh well, i'll take breaks and try to stretch frequently. I'm definitely going to get it checked out when I come back.
The promposal was a success! My DS was quite pleased with himself.He did it quietly in class while they were all doing partner work. The teacher was so tickled about it, she told the next period class what had happened. It's so fun to hear about it from the boys side. Meanwhile the girls without boyfriends hope someone will ask them. These days girls can go to the prom in a group of friends which is great but some still want partners.
Bill-I'm with you- I wouldn't do high school again for many reasons! I had another dream last night I was way behind in class and going to fail. Such a relief to wake up!
Penny and Karen- you're right, I shouldn't have bought the candy so early. I have to have the stuff ready before we go to scotland-i'm leaving it here for my DD-but I didn't need to buy extras

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-04-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

I'm done with the feeling overwhelmed by my list. But, I don't feel that much better. Ha! I think the problem, all along, was spring allergy season. I have to peel away all the other layers before I realize "oh yeah, I feel like this every year at this time." If this is as bad as I feel with spring allergies, this year, my past allergy treatments and current medication have worked quite well.

Exercise: +45, 115/1100 minutes for April

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #25  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, except cycling class was cancelled, and weight is holding.

The mealplan food dwindled out quickly this week and I had to have crunchy bean soup for breakfast. Yummo!

Later this morning, I have a guy coming to measure things for a dog door install through our sliding glass door. That will be so nice to have when the dogs want to go in and out every five minutes just to bark at something.

Karen, that was me who started reading Atomic Habits. I'm still so distracted for reading and getting through it slowly.

Beth, the salad sounds like it was a good option. That's a sad loss for your stepDD and so good of dh to be there for her and help out.

Bill, I was told for Americans to visit Iran it has to be through a tour, so that does come with guides/chauffeurs. Credit for the big bad wolf exercise. lol

Joy, I have a friend who tells everyone if her anxiety starts ramping up and she starts freaking out to remind her to take an antihistamine. I'm sure it feels so real and is hard to remember the allergies could be the culprit.

Curly, the massage sounds so nice. That's a bummer the hip is chronically painful. Have you not had it checked out at all yet? I thought you had.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #26  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I tried to take Otis for a walk, but he was glued to the sidewalk for fear of the recycle truck. So, I let him walk the couple of houses back home and then went on a hike and took him when I got home. By then the trucks were out of the area and he was way better. I'm feeling fortunate that I don't feel bad at all. A little cough that is remedied with cold medicine. I had no problems on my hike even though it's a pretty good hill. I'm listening to Atomic Habits and I think it's a good book but kind of dry. It isn't very long though, so I'll probably be finished by the end of the day. Tomorrow I'm supposed to drive to Tucson to see my newly widowed friend, but she often wants to change plans so I'll see if the plan remains. I sometimes get annoyed with her because I am a planner, but I will be very careful of her feelings with all she is going through.

I need to get a few things done, so hopefully back to personals later.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Lunch break. Just for today I will stick to a simple food plan. It is one day. Shrink says my sugar cravings are a sign of my improvement and cut one med. It is the med that causes such a thing. Hopefully I’ll inch back down from a top weight.

Wave.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #28  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Had a day of good choices: 3 products and then an OP meal out. I also had an incredibly productive evening and got a lot of things done that have been bouncing around in my head as "gotta do this" items--I just buckled down and did about 8 of them and feel much relieved with the forward progress. No exercise--it was raining today so I drove to the drugstore instead of walking.

We're driving to Indiana tomorrow--I would rather not go but both DH and stepDD want me to, so I'm going.

maryann: I hope simple food plan worked for you!

karenrn: I'm so glad your illness didn't catch hold and grow. I hope you continue to feel better.

Joy: Do you have good methods of coping with the spring allergies? Claritin and Flonase are my friends :-)

curlyjax: The next panic moment is when you check for your passport half a dozen times and still aren't totally convinced you have it with you!

Bill: I used to say that I wouldn't be 16 again for love or money. But then, if I had both love and money, perhaps being 16 wouldn't have been so bad. It's amazing how a little one can play a game so many more times that the adults want to play along with it!

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Mount Tambora in the Dutch East Indies erupts after centuries (1815)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - That great joy of visiting the hygienist to have my teeth cleaned, CREDIT moi. She tells me what Golden Eagles she's seen north of Boston. I say nothing because there are two hands in my mouth. The dentist pointed out that I have a filling that must be 40 years old. His tone of voice was of disgust. My feeling was of joy. May it go to the grave with me - taking its mercury along with it. One hour of FREE charging for my Nissan LEAF also gave me joy. I charged along with an electric BMW - us good guys together.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with a full complement of snacks instead of none which would have been more healthy. The wind has been so strong for the last two days that we've accumulated two trash can lids that aren't ours. We're starting a trash can lid collection in front of our house. Might get ticketed for running a yard sale without a permit, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for recognizing that allergies cause a mood shift.

maryann - Hope those sugar cravings go away.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for not being taken down by that cough.

curlyjax - Super Congrats to your DS for surviving his prom-posal. And Congrats to you for checking that you'll have six months left on your passport before you attempt to arrive in Scotland. It's such a sad story hearing of folks who didn't know and get turned back at the airport.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Getting eight things done sounds so rewarding. LOL at having love and money at 16 - kinda hard to imagine.

Penny. - I'm unable to picture a dog door installed in a glass door. LOL at crunchy bean soup for breakfast.

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

As I've mentioned before, eating doesn't happen automatically. Before you take that first bite of something you didn't plan to eat, you almost always have a thought or a series of thoughts. Once you identify and respond to those thoughts, you'll be able to control your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 192.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #30  

Bad eating day yesterday although at least I had the leftover zuchini noodles for lunch. Today I am bringing in my car for 100,000 service, then picking up DS around 12 and heading off to my dad's. The memorial for my mom is tomorrow and I decided I'm not going to say anything at it. I have been putting off preparing for it, and I just don't want to. I talked to a few friends who reassured me this is fine. I've been feeling fine for awhile but really fell apart last night. It really is too much to lose your husband and mom within 15 months.
It will be good to see family friends and acquaintances i haven't seen for a long time.
Penny- I had a chiropractor take an x-ray and confirm its arthritis, but I think its time for an orthopedic consult.

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-05-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Closed Thread