Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #61  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone!

My 3 days of sane eating has come to a successful end--it's actually been 3 OP days with the exception of one thoughtless piece of bubble gum--a total win. Tomorrow I start my next 3 days of sane eating. This will be a bit harder since we're traveling Thursday-Monday. We're going to play games for the weekend :-) My plan is to stay with at least 3 products per day. Depending on the socializing, we may go out to dinner Thursday and Sunday. Friday and Saturday we're unlikely to leave the event hotel, so I'll just have products.

Exercise today was PT--I felt a twinge today in my other knee, so I'm really motivated to keep up with my PT. I've been doing it evenly on both legs so I'm going to keep that up. I didn't enjoy the limping with a cane thing at all, so I have a pretty compelling reason to continue my exercises.

maryann: I hope meeting in neutral territory helped. Your '3 days of sane eating' is really resonating with me.

penny: Yay for being OP--I hope the weight cooperates!

curlyjax: Bon voyage!!! I hope you have a fantastic time!

Bill: I needed that reminder about recognizing my sabotaging thoughts. Your class sounds amazing.

G'night all!

--Beth
Joy: Tolerating hunger is hard. I'll be interested to hear how you adjust to wake up hungry.

karenrn: I hope you have a great time with your DS and your friend.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - The Shogunate is abolished in Japan (1868)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. At the Harvard Museum of Natural History, we watched her fascination holding a real dinosaur poop (coprolite). Later told her father, "I didn't even have to wash my hands." The major component in an excursion is stopping for a snack every thirty minutes. She can say Glyptodont with ease. Their specimen is large and right next to her face against the glass. Hard to imagine what it would have been to walk around South America with those guys as neighbors.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I faced a long working meeting in the evening - conducted around a table with nibble food. I brought several things, including baby carrots that allowed me to nibble without concern for breaking my plan. In a masterstroke, I handed the container of dark-chocolate covered roasted almonds to a friend to bring to her husband. Problem solved, they didn't come home with me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Liking the notion of sneaking up on tolerating hunger.

maryann - Keep the faith - spring break will arrive to give you time to let your brain rest.

Karen (karenrn) - Good luck shopping for clothes with your DS - hope he's tolerant of that sort of thing.

curlyjax - Waving toward Scotland. While you're there, you might try to help with Brexit - maybe a new opinion is just what's needed.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Great to have your three successful 'sane' days under your belt before your long play weekend.

Penny. - Just one more day on plan. In the park with DGD, I met a guy leading a group of six homeschooled kids (9-11 yo) having an activity hour in the playground working off their energy. He works at a makerspace where homeschooled kids attend some number of days a week. They make good friends; they interact well with kids over a span of ages. He dropped out of teaching at the public schools to work there just because he believed in their work.

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've counseled:
Dieting is too hard.
I don't care.
It's okay to eat this.
I'm being punished.
It's not fair.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 193.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

Tired this morning but I have a better attitude of gratitude. DH was pretty upset about the fight and apologized profusely. Communication is difficult for us at times. Our counselor says we are an amazing example of polar opposites. But we went to track meet and realized how lucky we were with our son and family life.

For today I continue to make small food changes that will move me from maintenance to losing. In line with my “knock off WW” I switched out morning coffee sweetener to half and half Truvia. I bought the “1 pt” cheese instead of 3 pt. I had fresh dates for dessert instead of a usual sweet treat. My experiment is asking the question “Are favorites preferable because they are familiar?” If so maybe I can make other foods satisfying. Weight is at the ceiling of where I want to be but I’m giving myself time to adjust.

Penny: Did I miss you are homeschooling? That is a noble endeavor.
Beth: congrats on the three days. That is a big deal.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #64  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is back down to where it has been.

I'm eating the healthy mealplan food, and still doing only two meals per day, but maybe my giant portions are a bit too much. Veggies and soba noodles with a peanut sauce is happening today, so it might not be the easiest meal to reduce portions with. Ha!

Beth, jumping into hard mode for the second three days! Those products come in handy for trips, I imagine.

Maryann, it sounds pretty serious if you have to meet in public. I hope you felt heard and worked through it. Eta: posted at the same time. I'm glad you worked things out with dh. Yes, my kids homeschool, but even worse, we do unschooling. Ha! Which means mostly no school type stuff at all, except when I have a freak out and make them learn cursive or complete all the math lessons in khan academy, or when we go out to breakfast and they have to listen to me drone on about all of US history with notes.

Bill, always an adventure on DGD day. I love the comment about not having to wash hands.

Homeschool kids are often given a lot of time to manage on their own, so I do think the "rebellious teen" is not a rite of passage but a result of the school system taking away every bit of control in their day to day schedule. Younger kids get to relax, run, and eat as their bodies dictate instead of an external schedule. I imagine that translates to an easier job for the guy you met in the park.

Last edited by Penny.; 04-11-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #65  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't wake up hungry, but I was hungry after my first cup of tea. I'm also pleased that I made changes late in the day with the goal in mind of waking up hungry. That didn't quite work, so now I know what to change the next time I have a similar night.

Exercise: +35, 355/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,
This morning my son and I went on a hike. He declared that it was not fun, way too hard . . . so we shortened it up a bit. We hiked Tom's Thumb, which is pretty steep and he was just going too fast from the get go. He has some pounds to lose, so I'm sure that doesn't help. We're going out to Indian food for lunch with my friend who is here and then we're going to see a really stupid movie which is my son's choice. I was so hungry yesterday that I just had some food. My body must have needed it and my weight was down 1/2 a pound this morning which was a surprise to me. I'm not feeling that way today, thank goodness.

I'll have more time tomorrow, I think, so back to personals then. I take my son to the airport in the morning and I'm not sure about my friend.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #67  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Day 1 of my second set of 3 sane days. A bit too many chips for dinner, but not too bad. No exercise today—long car ride. I’m excited about our event and I have a plan for tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the 1st person to orbit Earth (1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the Post Office to mail in checks to the Massachusetts Tax guys. (Federal was overpaid so I'll get money back.) Felt like a hero because I got in the mail before the absolute deadline of Wednesday midnight. (Monday, the 15th is Patriot's Day, a holiday celebrated in Massachusetts commemorating the battles of Lexington and Concord; and Tuesday is Emancipation Day celebrated in Washington D.C. where the IRS is located. The rest of you guys not in Massachusetts or Maine have taxes due on Monday, the 15th.) In the past, I've had to wait in line to purchase certified mail to be sure to get credit for filing on time. With a free soul, I continued to walk to the library where I returned two and picked up two books for the (3.5 yo) DGD.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner started out superbly, I was eating alone but DW had left a piece of grilled swordfish in the fridge. Since no one was looking, I ate it without veggies and starches. (I did, however, use a napkin and fork.) The evening event was a guy who'd seen 6000+ different species of birds in a "Big Year" of birding in 2015. It was a rollicking good tale that included pictures of birds I've never seen and most likely never will, e.g. the Chinstrap Penguin. However, the reception before the lecture had some nibbles of tasty salami and crackers. I had a couple before I ran out of the room before the other stuff grabbed me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - So first world to work to wake up hungry. Kudos for focusing on that.

maryann - Congrats for continuing to wrangle your way through marriage.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for being the good mom and going "to see a really stupid movie which is my son's choice." Thanks for reminding me that this part of parenting doesn't end with the sappy Disney flicks.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Maybe your group can devise a fun exercise that can be conducted during a long car ride - could make a fortune marketing it.

Penny. - 'Unschooling' sounds like just the best. Wish that'd been invented when I was a kid. Yep, soba noodles are hard to do in a small quantity.

Readers -
Quote:

To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've counseled:
I'm not going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't eat.
I deserve to eat this.
I'll just eat these crumbs.
I should be able to do what I want.
I can't resist.
. . .

Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #69  
Green Tomatoes

Still didn't wake up hungry, but not full, either. It's going to take me a while to figure this out.

Today has four appointments. I can't even figure out how to eat around that. It would be nice to think that I just won't eat, but I probably can't count on that. So, I'll want to take some care with my choices.

Exercise: +20, 375/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

The Friday before break. It is my intent to lay low and enjoy the kids. This is a super luxury of teaching an elective. We will do a brief interactive PowerPoint on Da Vinci and then I’ll teach them to play the card game Spoons. In line with what Penny is talking about, I feel it is important to teach the students how to play interactively with each other. Kids are losing the ability to pick up social cues because of tech and regimentation.

Yesterday I went rebel on the food plan. I didn’t drastically overeat but I substituted low point ice cream for dinner. This is a danger of WW for me. I need to monitor the behavior. I have a veggie packed plan today including dinner with girlfriends that will be a salad bar.

DH and I are doing well. I do appreciate the terrific man he is but we both have childhood trauma that gets in our way. We are both very proud that we didn’t pass it on to DS.

BBE: I love to hear about yr hobbies.
Karen: glad you had some time with yr son.
Gardenerjoy: I am go to think about waking up hungry as well.
Beth: Enjoy yr game weekend. I am going skiing.

Last edited by maryann; 04-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #71  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with exercise class, and weight is holding.

Beth, have a great day at the conference!

Karen, your comment about your son not having fun on the hike makes me change my mind about dragging the kids on the hike I was wanting to do. They probably need something a little easier. It's an 7-8 mile loop with a 2300 elevation gain. It's been so long since I've hiked, I'm not even sure how I will do.

Bill, nice of you to save the veg and starch for your wife! The bird talk sounds riveting. :P

Joy, I laid in bed this morning trying to feel if I was hungry because of your post. Ha! I don't know if I was physically hungry but my mind was super excited to get up for breakfast.

Maryann, that sounds like a fun class for the kids. I hope it's a nice easy day for you!

Last edited by Penny.; 04-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday-Apollo 13: "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here" en route to Moon (1970)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement happened during a normal shopping trip at the supermarket when they didn't have the brand of skim milk that we use on our morning cereal. First I was annoyed. Then I was embarrassed that I was annoyed for such a trivial, first-world, problem. Then I bought another brand that I've come to dislike for no other reason than it isn't the brand that I buy. Then I decided that I was losing my mind and went on to the next thing. Later I was startled when a friend said "Hi" as she drove past me in the parking lot. Startled because I'd never seen her at this supermarket and have only seen her in another part of my life. So, most of my exercise for the day happened between my ears, LOL.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. DW grilled chicken on the propane grill on our little porch outside our back door. A few weeks ago she thought it must be out of propane because it kept going out. It wasn't. It just wasn't happy in the high winds. Without the winds, it works just fine. And if that's not enough beneath trivial issues for the day, while driving DW to an early morning's doctor appointment, I was forced to stop by a Tom Turkey standing in the middle of the street guarding three hens who were eating a neighbor's grass seeds. Turkey's are becoming a big problem around here. A woman out walking while eight months pregnant had her legs pecked to bleeding until a resident came running out with a broom and chased them away.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Four appointment in one day is certainly busy for a supposedly retired person.

maryann - Love that you are teaching your kids the card game Spoons - a favorite from my childhood where the younger ones had a good chance of winning.

Penny. - Yep, 8 miles is a long hike for kids unless they're really committed.

Readers -
Quote:

To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've counseled: . . .
I really want it.
I'm really hungry.
I have no willpower.
It's not that fattening.
I'll make up for it later.
. . .

Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I was hungry after my first cup of tea, which I'll consider a victory and one I want to keep striving for.

Yesterday, in fact, I was hungry quite a bit. My body doesn't understand what's going on when I eat at weird times. It seems to be a creature of habit.

CREDIT for making reasonable choices most of the time. Extra CREDIT for not making a really bad choice when I drove home hungry, past a couple of places where I considered stopping for a treat. Instead, I came home and took a walk.

Exercise: +40, 415/1100 minutes for April

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-13-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #74  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still holding.

I did put down a deposit on the Iran trip, and got everything I needed gathered for the visa application only to find out I have to wait until August to do that. Boo! I like to get things crossed off my to-do list asap.

Next we have to decide what country to stop at before Iran to break up the 25 hours of flying, and sleep. Americans are not allowed to stay in Iran outside of the tour dates and I really need to not have travelled 25+ hours right before a tour.

Bill, how was the milk? As bad as you thought? That must have been nice to realize thev propane was still good.

Joy, credit for making it home hungry without stopping. I know that mental battle well.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Human Genome Project is completed with 99% sequenced (2003)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good search for birds in the morning just as the rain ceased, CREDIT moi. Saw a bunch - not unusual ones, but more of the expected than we expected. It was a small group since it was raining right up until we started. Trying to see birds in the rain is not much fun, even though on our trip to Costa Rica we looked for birds every day and it rained every day.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Everything was pretty standard. A major, calamitous, first-world, problem was that we had no applesauce for our pork chops for dinner. Ouch! For some reason, that's fallen on my shoulders to pick up applesauce at the supermarket. I let our supply dwindle to naught. Perhaps I should try to be positive and celebrate that I saved some 25 calories, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, it's worth celebrating when we don't make really bad choices.

Penny. - Your Iran trip is sounding real when you put down a deposit. Odd thing that you're not allowed to dawdle within Iran while waiting for your tour to start.

Readers -
Quote:

To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've counseled: . . .
It'll go to waste if I don't eat it.
I should eat it because it's free.
Everyone else is eating.
I don't want to disappoint or inconvenience [fill in the blank].
I'm stressed/tired/sad/bored/upset.
. . .
Closed Thread